The project produced from a collaboration between UMass Journalism's Investigative Journalism & The Web class and The Boston Globe was published in today's Globe. Additionally, students produced several written sidebars and several video narratives. Here they are:
* "Tornado victims still struggling in Monson," by Rachel Roberts.
* Video: "After The Storm," by Amy Chaunt and Anna Meiler.
* "One Springfield father used his back to protect family from crumbling house after tornado," by Colin Spence, with a video narrative by Lyntoria Newton.
* "Social media played major role in aftermath of Western Mass. tornadoes," by Lindsey Davis.
* Podcast: "Friends of the Homeless," by Nick Russo.
The author is solely responsible for the content.
About the authors
Students in Steve Fox's Investigative Journalism & the Web class at UMass-Amherst have teamed up with the Globe to take a close-up look at the painful process of rebuilding from the June 2011 tornadoes that killed four and devastated communities in the Springfield area. Their work will also appear in the Boston Globe. Steve joined the journalism faculty at UMass-Amherst in 2007 and has 25 years of experience as an editor and reporter for print and online publications, including 10 as an editor at The Washington Post's award-winning website.