What are you reading? (2009 edition)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misplacedamerican. Show misplacedamerican's posts

Re: What are you reading? (2009 edition)

I just finished reading 'The Lottery' by Patricia Woods. It's about a man with learning difficulties who wins the lottery and how his family and friends react.  I thought it would be predictable but it wasn't and it was actually really sweet. Nice easy read. 

I'm now reading 'The Water Cure' by Percival Everett.  That's about a man who caputures his daughters killer and takes his revenge.  So far it's fasinating how he shows the father's mind working (or not working).  I loved it when Thomas Jefferson showed up for a moral chat smoking a joint.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RepublicanMA. Show RepublicanMA's posts

I just finished Julie & Julia.  All I can say is, Julia Child must be turning over in her grave (may she rest in peace).  The only conclusion I can draw from the book is that Julie Powell is a neurotic, white-trash, left-wing, bratty, classless b*tch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pharmlib. Show pharmlib's posts

Finn.  The novel about Huckleberry Finn's father.  It's very dark, but pretty compelling.  It probably helps if one has read Huckleberry Finn within the past decade (which I have not).  I recently finished 'Says the Nightbird' by Robert McCammon which can be summed up as some nice cerebral chewing gum.  Next on the list, a book I picked up in the bookcase of a summer rental...'On the Road' by Kerouac.  I try to get to the classics now and then.  Last summer I read 'Light in August'.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Deboo123. Show Deboo123's posts

I just finished reading Kristin Lavernsdatter by Sigrid Undset...all 1124 pages.  An epic of 14th century Norway.  Excellent read that won the Pulitzer Prize in 1928.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

In Response to Re: What are you reading? (2009 edition):
    [QUOTE]No, if you really like Jane Austen, you should hate the cheapening of her work that is evident from the title.  All this zombie and vampire schlock is sickmaking.
    Posted by Ihavemyhats[/QUOTE]

So... you didn't like the book?  Did you read it?

I'm re-reading Anne of Green Gables and about to start I See You Everywhere by Julia Glass.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coffeeman528. Show Coffeeman528's posts

I just finished reading Select Grimm FairyTales.  Always very interesting to see the differences between what was actually told back then, and what you see in the Disney movies.  I should warn you, many of the stories start off the same way and have many of the same morals, so it does get a slight bit repetitive, other then that they are wonderful and short, perfect for summer reading.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LJM396. Show LJM396's posts

I just finished The Likeness by Tana French.  It's a detective story as well as a character study.  It was very good, but as in her previous book, In the Woods, the author left some loose ends, forcing the reader to do a lot of speculation.  The characters at the center of the mystery are strange and abnormally close to each other, not unlike the characters in Donna Tartt's The Secretary History. 

Great read, I would definitely recommend it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LJM396. Show LJM396's posts

[QUOTE]You can't go wrong w/Neville Shute....great author. Currently reading Peter Robinson's English mystery series w/Chief Inspector Alan Banks.
    Posted by bikejanitor[/QUOTE]

I love Peter Robinson--I don't know anyone else (at least in the States) who reads him.  Can't wait to get the new one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I'm going through all the David Foster Wallace I can get my hands on. Never read him before he took his own life. Sad. You can see it coming even in his earlier short stories.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from readon40. Show readon40's posts

[QUOTE]I just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain the other day.  What a fantastic book!  I am now about 80 pages into The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.   It's kind of a dark gothic fantasy that takes place in post-WWII Spain.  The further I get into it, the more I'm enjoying it.
    Posted by bizona[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from readon40. Show readon40's posts

[QUOTE]I just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain the other day.  What a fantastic book!  I am now about 80 pages into The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.   It's kind of a dark gothic fantasy that takes place in post-WWII Spain.  The further I get into it, the more I'm enjoying it.
    Posted by bizona[/QUOTE]

I read The Shadow of the Wind a few years ago, and I think when you get to the end of the book, you will wish it never ended.  Zafon is an excellent author.  Enjoy!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sapphire122596. Show sapphire122596's posts

I have been reading Patricia MacDonald this summer. I happen to pick up at Christmas Tree Shops, Married to a Stranger...loved that...then I moved on.

Just finished Mother's day...that was good.

Read Not guilty...that was ok.

All in all, her books are good...mystery for sure..keeps you glued to the book for hours..especially when you're mind is free of worries.

Nancy
    Kittery, ME

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kasperkids. Show kasperkids's posts

Posted by bizona[/QUOTE]

I loved Zafron book, just finished it.  I highly recommend.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from robynsc. Show robynsc's posts

i just finished the silver linings playbook and johannes cabal, necromancer. i like the first and LOVED the latter. i recommend johannes cabal highly.

moving on to nonfiction with fordlandia, about henry ford's attempt to 'fordinize' the amazon jungle. then, hopefully, homer and langley.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ralston1. Show ralston1's posts

Just read "An Imaginary Life" by David Malouf----had never heard of it---fantastic---such the book that I would have hated as a kid, when the teacher assigns it to you---now, finding it on my own, half way home, beautiful...absolutley beautiful.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grania13. Show Grania13's posts

"One Thousand White Women" by Jim Fergus.  "The novel is based on an historical event:  in 1854 at a peace conference at Fort Laramie, a prominent Cheyenne chief requested of the U.S. Army authorities the gift of one thousand white women as brides for his young warriers."  Terrific story.  A recent selection by my book group where it received an avg. of 4.3 out of 5, the highest score of any book read to date.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FransBevy. Show FransBevy's posts

[QUOTE]You can't go wrong w/Neville Shute....great author. Currently reading Peter Robinson's English mystery series w/Chief Inspector Alan Banks.
    Posted by bikejanitor[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely love Peter Robinson and have you read the Dalziel/Pascoe series by Reginald Hill?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FransBevy. Show FransBevy's posts

I absolutely adore the Garry Disher series on Mornington Peninsula, Australia!  A series of character driven mysteries that keep you captivated cover to cover.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from petail. Show petail's posts

I'm reading The Perfect Summer ( England 1911, Just Before the Storm ) by Juliet Nicholson. A thoroughly enjoyable social history!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaveHeart. Show HaveHeart's posts

I've been catching up on the classics.  Right now I'm in the midst of Samuel Beckett's trilogy of novels 'Molloy' Malone Dies' and 'Unnamable' 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmlaw. Show gmlaw's posts

I believe it's supposed to be a 4-part series, all centered around books, authors, booksellers...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Just finished "The Education of a Coach" by David Halberstam.  An entertaining read from front to back about our own Bill Belichick.  Halberstam's quality of prose and reportage is like a feast after reading so much "fast food" ostensibly about sports.

And "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell.  Thought-provoking and loaded with minutiae you can't wait to tell a friend about.

Just started Phil Lesh's autobiography - so far what he lacks in style is made up for in his retention of detail of his early days before the Dead.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nekoj. Show Nekoj's posts

Barbara Tuchman's Distant Mirror

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from elwood007. Show elwood007's posts

Right now I am reading Patrick O'Brien's 'Thirteen Gun Salute', the thirteenth book in the Abury/Maturin series. O'Brien brings you spy novel suspense and explosive, true to history naval engagements all at once. Try the first book and you won't stop there.

Has anyone read the 'Flashman Papers' by George McDonald Fraser? Absolutely hilarious historical novels featuring Harry Flashman, an 'Anti-Hero' that will take you to the battlefields and boudiors of the nineteenth century. Which of the two is more trecherous? Only 'Old Flashy' can reveal. Note: Not the greatest read for women. Flashman is NOT a gentleman in any way. Still hilarious though.