Where do you buy books?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Re: Where do you buy books?

I always read reviews or find footnotes which lead me to authors and books.Then I immediately go to Alibris or abebooks.These two sources provide me with the best information about the market values of books.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ayooper. Show ayooper's posts

How could you omit Commonwealth Books? Two locations in downtown Boston - on Piano Row and in the Old South Meetinghouse. Great inventory and friendly, knowledgeable staff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brat1016. Show Brat1016's posts

The Used Book Store in Burlington on Rt. 3A - it's got a huge selection (popular, textbooks, travel guides, everything really) all for 90% off the cover price or Bigwords.com (search site that searches all the big sites like Amazon and B&N..then gives you prices to buy or sell new and used books).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from venusfalls3. Show venusfalls3's posts

Completely agree that Commonwealth Books should have been included here. I'm pretty sure they do cash back, but they also offer 50% of the price they re-sell the book for as in-store credit. A much better rate than all the other listings.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc123. Show tc123's posts

I don't buy - I go to the library

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kparking. Show kparking's posts

Again, you left out The Book Rack!  Arlington Center on Medford St. off of Mass. Ave.  Right near the Starbucks.  Great little shop that sells used and new books. 
    http://book-rack.com/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pazlunar. Show pazlunar's posts

I'll second the Book Rack and put a plug in for More Than Words in Waltham

http://www.mtwyouth.org/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from westroses. Show westroses's posts

I go to the library, actually sometimes I go to a bookstore, write down all the titles I want and then order them online at the library website to pick up at my library branch. This is the cheapest way to get acess to all the new and old titles I want, and I can also see if I really want to purchase what I am reading, and usually the books are not good enough or one read is enough.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Slack. Show Slack's posts

I'm partial to the Brattle.  And I hope I'm not being too picky here but last time I checked, Cambridge is not part of Boston, so how about used bookstores in Greater Boston?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from collm. Show collm's posts

I go to Annie's Book Swap in Framingham.  Great coffee and the owner makes it all worthwhile

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arequipa. Show Arequipa's posts

A wonderful book store is the Book Bear in West Brookfield - it is worth a field trip out there to see all the wonderful books.  Music, cook books, poetry, very old books.  Wonderful ambience, wonderful staff.

No, I'm not involved with the book store, except as a lover of its offerings.

Book Bear

www.the>bookbear.com

80 W Main St
    West Brookfield, MA 01585
    (508) 867-8705

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtsFriend. Show ArtsFriend's posts

[QUOTE]Book-buying options can vary from online sites like amazon.com and big chains like Banres and Noble to independent sellers and used shops likes the ones seen here . So tell us, where do you buy books?
    Posted by BDCAEStaff[/QUOTE]

Library book sales are great places to buy books at incredibly low prices.  We have one in Harvard, MA coming up on May 9 where most hardcovers (and there are 1000's) are $2 and pb's $1.  www.harvardpubliclibrary.org  Plus the money goes to a good cause.  Otherwise I really try to buy from independent stores.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hurricaneric. Show hurricaneric's posts

I like Discovery Books in Brighton. It's a small, cramped store, but fun to browse. The prices are good too (as well as negotiable) and there are a lot of first editions to be found. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tysondog. Show tysondog's posts

I go to Annie's Book Stop in either Plainville or Raynham.....though my fav is Plainville...more selections.    I usually bring back books that I've read and get a credit towards new purchases.     I can usually get out of there with 10 books for the price of 5.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HadiPotter. Show HadiPotter's posts

love  Bryn Mawr. It's in Cambridge, Huron Village
    http://www.brynmawrbookstore.com/
    Found a couple of gems there, plus people are very nice.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nautic3727. Show nautic3727's posts

This is a link to the best used bookstore ever: http://www.braintreeusedbooks.com/ .

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ralphs222. Show ralphs222's posts

if you are in New Hampshire, have you ever tried Homestead Bookshop in Marlborough NH??????great store and Dougs hot dogs out front...wow what a bargain.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from govntwrker. Show govntwrker's posts

new england mobile bookfair!

http://www.nebookfair.com

the best book place in all of new england!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maure. Show maure's posts

More Than Words at 376 Moody Street in Waltham is a great place with a cafe AND it's a nonprofit organization too. http://www.morethanwordsbooks.comYou can buy all kinds of books but can also take your old books there as a donation because they teach young adults how to take charge of their lives by taking charge and learning the bookstore business. They provide empowering leadership and supportive employment opportunities for youth who are in foster care, court-involved, homeless or out of school to prepare them for self-sufficiency as they transition to adulthood.
    They have Open Mic nights regularly - it's a great place.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeanRoberts. Show SeanRoberts's posts

Since the Globe is covering bookstores out of the city of Boston, the omission of the New England Mobile Bookfair in Newton is a stunning one.

Booklovers, this is a MUST visit!  Over 200,000 titles!  (Titles, not just books.) And absolutely the largest selection of remainders in New England.  I have been an ardent customer of the Book Fair for almost 40 years, and every time I go, I leave with a stack of bargains.

How could the Globe have missed this!

By the way, the wonderful Brattle Book Shop is not a 40-year old concern, as the Globe states, it is 184 years old!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spamalot01. Show Spamalot01's posts

Cellar Stories on Mathewson Street and Symposium Books on Westminster Street in Donwtown Providence and Books on the Square in Wayland Square on the East Side in Providence are two great locations for new & used books.  The staffs are knowledgable and friendly and dedicated biliophiles themselves.  A pleasure to shop at each store and to support local bookstores over their larger corporate entities.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsSunshine. Show MsSunshine's posts

I go to my local Library and do check out yours or that of another towns.Your purchase proceeds go to support your local programming.  The main branch of the Brookline Library, Washington Street, has a great selection at super prices.  A $1 for a hardback--might even be unread and on the Best Sell lists You can donate your books too, check out http://www.brooklinelibrary.org/get/book-donations

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1393332. Show user_1393332's posts

GotBooks.com in Burlington (Rt 3)
    Used Book Superstore in Danvers (Endicott Plaza)
    Anne's Bookswap in Beverly across fromt he Beverly Depot
    Buy it Back on 114 in Middleton, near Middleton Plaza
    Yard Sales, Flea Markets and Rummage Sales.

I also have friends who read and we swap books with each other. Once we have all read the books we donate the newer ones to a local cancer treatment center or donate to Gotbooks.com where they donate proceeds to various local charities and send books to our men and woman overseas in the military.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TDK. Show TDK's posts

[QUOTE]How could you omit Commonwealth Books? Two locations in downtown Boston - on Piano Row and in the Old South Meetinghouse. Great inventory and friendly, knowledgeable staff.
    Posted by ayooper[/QUOTE]

They were included; the "Piano Row" Boylston St. shop was pictured.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bovint. Show bovint's posts

I found two amazing textbooks in my field at McIntyre and Moore Booksellers about a year ago ...at 20% of the listed price...I think they have moved now from that location...too bad...