Which were the best books of the decade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lisasull79. Show lisasull79's posts

Re: Which were the best books of the decade?

Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from isitfriday. Show isitfriday's posts

The Historian- Elizabeth Kostova

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevfrost62. Show kevfrost62's posts

My Top 5:  In no order
    Dan Simmons "The Terror"
    Khaled Hosseini "A Thousand Splendid Suns"
    Jerry Stahl "Painkillers"
    Steig Larsson "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo"
    Duane Swierczynski "The Blonde"

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Snapyernek. Show Snapyernek's posts

In Response to Which were the best books of the decade?:
    [QUOTE]Now that Globe books editor Nicole Lamy has taken you through her list of favorites from the past 10 years , we want to know:  What are your favorite books of the decade?  Share your thoughts here!
    Posted by BDCAEStaff[/QUOTE]

Anything by Lee Child.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from simpleman02460. Show simpleman02460's posts

Eggers's Zeitoun
    Cormac McCarthy's The Road
    Chuck Palahniuk's Rant
    Bob Woodward's Plan of Attack

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeV. Show JoeV's posts

-The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (& Girl Who Played with Fire)
    -The Tender Bar
    -The Kite Runner (& 1000 Splendid Suns)
    -Empire Falls (& Bridge of Sighs)
    -Child 44
    -Water for Elephants
    -A Fine Balance
    -Angels & Demons (Davinci Code)
    -The Alienist

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyjane70. Show crazyjane70's posts

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boyle1976. Show boyle1976's posts

Pillars of the Earth
    The Given Day
    The Road

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Razorback. Show Razorback's posts

I will say that the Harry Potter books are my favorite.  Not just because I enjoyed them myself, but becuase they re-introduced millions of young people to the enjoyement of reading.  All of the books the Globe mentioned are, I am sure, very good, but none of them lead an entire generation back to the printed word.

It is indeed fair to say that Harry Potter changed the world.  It is also fair to say that there are a number of successful authors that owe that success, at least in part, to J.K. Rowling.  Hearing this Stephanie Meyer?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxpercy. Show maxpercy's posts

Experience of God- Dumitru Staniloae

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from H20TownBob. Show H20TownBob's posts

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by French author Muriel Barbery is the most intelligent and well written book I've had the pleasure to read in a very long time. Sorry it didn't make the list.

http://www.amazon.com/Elegance-Hedgehog-Muriel-Barbery/dp/1933372605/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261606747&sr=1-1

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joysea. Show joysea's posts

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyHR. Show BobbyHR's posts

I'm glad the Omnivour's Dilemma made the list.
    OK it's cops and robbers, but The Prince of Theives by local Chuck Hogan, from which Ben Affleck is making the movie "The Town" is simply the best of it's kind I've ever read.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from M-DeMicco. Show M-DeMicco's posts

For me it was. Augusten Burroughs.''You Better Not Cry.
    I have all his books,I think he's one of the Best.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sosler. Show sosler's posts

In no particular order:

- The Road, Cormac McCarthy
    - Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
    - Death with Interruptions, Jose Saramago
    - the Double, Jose Saramago
    - Seeing, Jose Saramago
    - Dreams of Departure, Naguib Mahfouz
    - IBM and the Holocaust: the strategic alliance between Nazi Germany and America's most powerful corporation, Edwin Black
    - What Hath God Wraught: the transformation of America, 1815-1848, Daniel Walker Howe
    - Empire of Liberty: a history of the early republic, 1789-1815, Gordon S. Wood
    - John Adams, David McCullough
    - In the Heart of the Sea, Nathaniel Philbrick
    - The Last Fish Tale: the fate of the Atlantic and survival in Gloucester, America's oldest fishing port and most original town, Mark Kurlansky
    - From Colony to Superpower: US Foreign Relations since 1776, George C. Herring
    - Destiny Disrupted: a history of the world through Islamic eyes, Tamim Ansary
    - Empires of the Silk Road: a history of central Eurasia from the Bronze Age to the present, Christopher Beckwith
    - Road to Reality: a complete guide to the rules of the universe, Roger Penrose
    - The Fabric of the Cosmos: space, time, and the texture of reality, Brian Greene

As you might see, I think considerably higher of the histories that have come out this decade than I do of the literature.

Finally, this decade saw first-time-ever English translations of:
    - Toilers of the Sea, Victor Hugo
    - The Adventures of Amir Hamza (an Islamic Odyssey-esque fantasy epic from the India/Pakistan corner of the world)
    - The Last Cavalier: being the adventures of Count Sainte-Hermine in the Age of Napoleon, Alexandre Dumas  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MetroBostonWorker. Show MetroBostonWorker's posts

White Teeth- Amazing!

I agree.  Although there are some on the list I have not read yet.  White Teeth is astounding.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chb2678. Show chb2678's posts

The Kite Runner!  And I just don't know how she could leave Harry Potter off the list. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevfrost62. Show kevfrost62's posts

Hey Boyle1976....Pillars of the Earth was published in 1989.  However, it was damn good. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrWyMi. Show BrWyMi's posts

Kite Runner is pretty overrated.  It was good, but not that good.

No mention of Chabon??  How 'bout Kavalier and Klay or the Final Solution??

Not sure if the Harry Potter books even belong in this discussion; why not then include comic books and graphic novels?  Popularity does not equal quality.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from katekilla. Show katekilla's posts

Pretty sure Kavalier and Clay is on the list (as it should be). And so in agreement about White Teeth -- it was weird to see how many lists have touted On Beauty, which is a fine book but White Teeth is exquisite.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrWyMi. Show BrWyMi's posts

hah, whoops, should have read the actual list a little more carefully!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcf421. Show jcf421's posts

Infinite Jest was published in 1996. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeneenhag. Show jeneenhag's posts

The Road
    Eat, Pray, Love
    The Art of Racing in the Rain
    The Kite Runner
    Nineteen Minutes
    My Sister's Keeper
    Dog Years

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Hey Valdaw, I agree "Infinite Jest" should be noted for its excellence but it is not a book of the last decade...it was published in 1996.

Here's my top 10 (fiction) from the past decade: (No particular order):

1. "Gone Away World", by Nick Harkaway. (Amazing blend of science fiction/action/philosophy)

2. "Last Last Chance" by Fiona Maazel. (Hilarious despite being about an unstoppable supervirus wiping out half the country)

3. "The Brooklyn Follies" by Paul Auster. (His most mature, touching, beautiful and accessible novel ever.)

4. "The Monsters of Templeton", by Lauren Groff . (Brilliant family history saga mixed with minimal fantastic mythology...first-time novel...impressive)

5. "How I Became a Famous Novelist", by Steve Hely. (One of the laugh out loud funniest books you'll ever read.)

6. "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" , by Steig Larsson. (On many top lists, deservedly...but don't let anyone tell you the sequel was as good...it was absolutely terrible.)

7. "Sunnyside", by Glen David Gold. (Gold specializes in historical fiction...if you're a fan of Charlie Chaplin, it's a must-read.)

8. "Bridge of Sighs", by Richard Russo. (Russo seems incapable of writing a bad book. This is the latest triumph of people who seem so real you almost remember them from your own life. Small-town upstate NY setting, again, but he's finding fresh stories still to tell.)

9. "The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil", by George Saunders. (Minimalist surrealism that reflects modern day politics and its dangerous flirtation with paranoia and fascism. Also pretty darn funny.)

10. "Exit Ghost", by Philip Roth. (I don't really care what Roth writes about...sure he's obsessed with growing old and approaching death, but nobody has a stronger voice or writes with as much passion. Still breathtaking stuff.)

Honorable mention: "The Historian", by Elizabeth Kostova.  (Rich, smart, scary throwback-style 'old school' Dracula novel that's a welcome respite from all this "Twilight" vampire idiocy.)