50 Greatest Comedy Sketches

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beckjag. Show beckjag's posts

2000�Year Old ManJohnny Carson and Jack Webb--copper clapperany one of Bob Newhart's phone sketchesagree with Dead Parrot at #1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SNAPPA52. Show SNAPPA52's posts

The funniest sketch I've have ever seen was on MADTV when Deborah Wilson was playing Oprah and Michael Mcdonald was Dr. Phil one of the audience members questioned some advice she gave and Oprah turned into some hideous fanged creature leaping all over the place tearing audience members to pieces becaused they questioned her.  Dr. Phil was crying and hiding and worshipping Oprah so she didn't hurt him..very funny.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Harvey Korman (recently passed away Rest in Peace) and Tim Conway almost anything they did together and especially the Dentist's Office

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjcronin1. Show mjcronin1's posts

Seinfeld episode where Kramer is telling Jerry and George how he drove a bus while fighting off a mugger and making all  the stops.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nzaino. Show nzaino's posts

For pure chaos, go back and watch Sid Cesar's bunch on Your Show of Shows or Cesar's Hour. Together with Carl Reiner, Imogene Coca, and Howard Morris, Cesar's show wrote the blueprint for the art of sketch comedy. Look for "The Clock" and "The Haircuts in 'So Rare' and 'Flippin'". They're both on DVD, possibly on YouTube. Great stuff.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Many good choices listed so far, but to go even further back, Burns and Allen show, the Bickersons (forrunner of ALL battling spouses type comedy), and I can't believe no one has posted Abbott and Costello's, "Whose On First" routine! I'm going to go rest now; I'm suddenly feeling VERY old!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tuxcat. Show tuxcat's posts

I'm a big fan of stand-up comedy, and there are so many great ones. One of my favorites was Larry Miller's classic 'Seven Levels of Drinking' -there are a ton of people around who can identify with it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Any scene involving Manuel in Fawlty Towers

Death Comes to Dinner from The Meaning of Life

"You! American! You're always talking! You say, 'Let me tell you something,' and 'I just want to say this.' Well you're dead now, so shut up!"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

There's little doubt about movies.It's a Mad,Mad,Mad,Mad World had enough sketches for a lifetime.
    In second place would be the magnificent work of the Marx Brothers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonboy9. Show bostonboy9's posts

One of the funniest scetches ever was Carol Burnett and Harvey Korman playing two ham actors performing their 5th year anniversary play without rehearsing for it on a bigger stage in Central Park. They felt that after playing their roles for 5 years there was no need to rehearse. Of course the night of the play the sound was off, the props were off and it looked hysterical and they were both panic stricken. Hysterical!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from manda125. Show manda125's posts

MadTV Bon Qui Qui

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rje126. Show rje126's posts

lisa loopner with dan ackroyd as the plumber with the norge
    goat boy
    garrett morris doing the translation for the hearing impaired
    the ladies man with his courvosier
    the dinner scene where the brother and sister cannot chew their food so someone else chews it and spits it into their mouth (probably qualifies as the grossest as well)
    ted & edna boyles organ emporium (right ted; right edna)
    jon lovett's skit - yeah that's the ticket (i forget his character's name)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Just about any sketch by Monty Python's Flying Circus. Spam, Argument Clinic, Twin peaks of Kilaminjaro. etc.

The sketch in the first episode of "Police Squad" when Frank Drebbin is questioning the teller about the shooting.

George Carlin's "My Stuff"

Abbott and Costello " who's on first"

Reiner and Brooks "2000 year old man sketches" ..."there's something bigger than Phil!"

Bob Newhart "introducing Tobacco"

SNL, Mr. Robinson's neighborhood.
    these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

Will Farrell - "More Cowbell"

Alex Baldwin - "Schweaty Balls"

Groucho Marx - "Why a duck"

Abbot & Costello - "Who's on First"

Ernie Kovacs Show - "A band of monkey's playing a song"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PUGWAIGE. Show PUGWAIGE's posts

Bill Cosbys revenge. all of Carlins stuff.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevehud. Show stevehud's posts

jack webb and carson-the copper clappers is beyond funny.

true almost anything by monty python, but personally,
    ill take argument clinic and ministry of silly walks.

Best saturday night live sketch- in defernce to all the old times, sorry but
    Justin Timberlake and adam sandberg, in the christmas classic D**k in a Box

cowbell is wonderful. schewty balls was great as well
    But i have t give respect to the furniture spoof of Sofa King, Its Sofa King Good!

i wouldnt describe carlins stuff as a sketch? A bit , or monologue perhaps, but but not a sketch.
    You want the best clasisic skits? check out night at the races, the scene when groucho is buying a tip from Chico.
    And maybe the most classic wordplay sketch of all time.
    Who's on first.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from newdusk. Show newdusk's posts

How can people forget any of Dave Chapelles sketches?!

Charlie Murphy's true Hollywood stories (prince story under-rated, rick james overated)
    Mad Real World
    Black Bush
    Reparations

In Living Color
    Homey the clown

MadTV
    Babewatch
    (this sketch is great because of Artie Lange's back story to playing the pig) So it may not stand alone as a sketch but it's probably one of the greatest most ironic backstories ever told)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelmontFan. Show BelmontFan's posts

Re: 50 Greatest Comedy Sketches

The SNL skit with Pryor when he was being interviewed for a job by Chevy Chase was absolutely hilarious.  I also liked any Carol Burnett sketch when they broke out of character.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Monty Python is well-represented here, but the vocational guidance counselor sketch, with Michael Palin as a would-be lion tamer and John Cleese as the vocational guidance counselor is very underrated.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from manda125. Show manda125's posts

The SNL "Debbie Downer" Sketch with Rachel Dratch,Jimmy Fallon,Lindsay Lohan and Chris Parnell. One of the funniest ones of recent SNL years. The best is that towards the end of the scene,the actors can't even keep their composure enough finish the scene without laughing. I crack up everytime I watch it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Outside of the many great sketches in Ir's a Mad,Mad,Mad World,I would have to include the many wonderful scenes in Raising Arizona. The quality of the stunts and the creative dialogue make it a great movie.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

It's hard to say what the best ever is, it's so subjective.  

But what about Chris Farley on SNL when he's the motivational speaker and your going to be "LIVING IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER" Funny Funny stuff!!  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frodo777. Show Frodo777's posts

Kids in the Hall sketches:
    Buddy the Gay Lounge Lizard (Scott Thompson)
    The Eliminator (Bruce McKinnon)
    The Head Crusher
    Countless transvestite characters who made everyone I knew leery of every homely Canadian woman they met in the 1980s.

NBC "Late Night with David Letterman" sketches:
    The Iceman Hummeth": Michael J. Fox plays both a cellist in an orchestra and a hockey player in a AAA-league hockey team. The contrasting scenes cut back and forth as the two men ready themselves for the big event that night. The orchestra is then seen playing at the game. The hockey player opens the game by smashing the opposing center in the face with his stick, triggering a brawl. Suddenly the combatants realize that classical music is playing and they stop to listen, then begin to pair up in couples and start to ice dance. The musician keeps getting poked in the head by the bow of the musician behind him, which angers him, triggering a fistfight that sweeps the whole orchestra. The player ice dancing with Fox looks with disapproval at the melee, saying "You know, fighting really has ripped the heart out of that orchestra..."   
    The Running Man sketches (Chris Elliott): Chris Elliott plays a man who is on the lam from some unknown pursuers. Letterman would interview him, then Elliott would take off when the pursuers arrived.

The Frantiks radio sketches:
    Last Will and Temprament: Curmudgeon millionaire Arthur Barrymore lets his annoying family know how he really feels about them by bequeathing them all a "boot to the head".
    Tai Kwon Leap: Neophyte martial-artist Ed Gruberman wants to learn how to "trash some bozos". The master fails to enlighten Gruberman with words of wisdom, so he must use boots of fury.    
    "Boot To the Head" Song: A  list of people who need a good boot to the head. 

Red Green Show sketches:
    "How to Turn Your Patio Table into a Windsurfing Board"
    "How to Fix Your Transmission"
    "Possum Lodge Meeting"
    "Orienteering and Survival Skills for Bachelors When their Mums are Out at The Bingo"

MAD Tv sketches:
    Vancome Lady (Nicole Sullivan)
    Monifa Bonifa Shaniqua Jackson (Debra Wilson)
    UBS Guy (Phil LaMarr)
    Miss Schwan (Alex Borstein)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frodo777. Show Frodo777's posts

Seinfeld Running Gags:
    "Not that there's anything wrong with that...." - George and Jerry are embarassed and flustered when a college student's interview article mistakenly accuses the two of being a gay couple. Everytime they complain about it, they quickly say the line to avoid seeming homophobic. 
    "A Dingo ate your baby." - An annoying woman at a party refers to her fiancee as her "poor baby". This annoys Elaine so much that she imitates Meryl Streep's Austrailian character from "A Cry in the Dark", which freaks the woman out. It is later used as a non-sequetor throughout the rest of the season.  
    "Khaaaan!!!!" - The Star Trek movie "Wrath of Khan" (directed by William Shatner) is referenced several times. The characters even sometimes vent their anger and frustration like Captain James T. Kirk does in the film by looking upwards from an office swivel chair at an overhead camera and shouting "Khaaaan!" 
    "Sooz!" - This is Jerry Seinfeld's character at his most vicious and self-centered. An associate at J.Peterman mistakenly thinks Elaine's name is Susan (or "Sooz"). Elaine then exploits the confusion to only take the credit for her successes and blames  all her failures on the fictional Susan. When it gets too complicated, Elaine "kills" Susan off ,enlisting Jerry's aid in crafting a believable death for her (while they are overheard by a third person they accidentally locked in the trunk of the car Jerry is driving). Mr. Peterman insists on paying for the funeral, which Elaine has to organize. Jerry is ecstatic as everyone pretends to miss the fictional Susan and talk about her. Mr. Peterman even claims in his eulogy to have slept with Susan (which Jerry gleefully tops by bragging about sleeping with both Elaine and Susan at the same time.) Then the man who was locked in the trunk fingers Jerry as Susan's killer. Jerry not only confirms it, he also cops to breaking the man's fingers and locking him in the trunk of his car.