Argo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Argo

It's rare that I go to see a movie on opening weekend...but I was counting the days until this particular movie opened after seeing the trailer some time ago.

It was definitely well worth the money and the crowd...and the theatre was packed!

Argo is ..hands down..the best (non comic book related) movie that I have seen in probably years. It was so intense that  my heart was racing from start to finish. There were just enough lighthearted moments to prevent it from being unbearably intense.

I would highly recommend Argo. I haven't liked a lot of what Ben Affleck has done lately..but I am predicting he wins multiple Oscars for this movie.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Argo

As a regular movie goer,it's nice seeing someone mention a recent movie in this forum.Thank you for your post.I have to agree 100% that Argo was a great movie.I saw it on opening night too.After the movie most of the audience stood up and clapped.

It was an intense movie,but Alan Arkin and John Goodman provided some well timed comic relief during it.I really liked the way they filmed it with some of the graininess of a 1980 movie rather than with today's clearer technology.The best part is that it's a true story.While I think the older people can relate to it more because we remember it,most younger people would still enjoy it.I'd be very surprised if it wasn't nominated for "Best Picture of the Year".

I also recommend Argo for anyone who is thinking about seeing it.

By the way,for those that like Sci-Fi,Looper was a good movie too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Mr Mojo ..I agree about Arkin and Goodman..the comic relief wasn't overdone..but was just enough to allow us to catch our breath so to speak. I vaguely remember the whole Iran hostage crisis..but really at the time was too young to have any awareness of this side story. Hubbie..who is 8 years older remembers the whole thing pretty clearly..but even he was on the edge of his seat.

I agree..I think it will be up for best picture.The audience at our showing gave a standing O at the end..something I've only rarely seen.

I've heard mixed reactions about Looper. I like sci-fi somewhat..but am not a fan of the time travel stuff..so I will probably wait to see it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I was pretty old when it took place,so I remember when the hostages were taken and the escape of the 6 people.Canada good a lot of good press for that.

Looper wasn't a action-packed type of movie,but it was more like a suspenseful type of movie that comes together right at the end.I thought it was a smart,well put together film.

On another note,this is something I know you'll like.This is a link to the Iron Man 3 movie,and it looks AWESOME.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/iron-man-3-trailer-raises-five-major-questions-183026231.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Thanks..:-))  It does look awesome...I can't wait til May!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

Finally saw Argo with the gf last night. Didn't think it would be great. O boy was I wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hey, everyone.  

I saw "Argo" last weekend, too.   I didn't get the suspense out of it some of you may have (I knew the ending for one thing ... haha) but that didn't mar the experience one bit.   It was well-cast beyond my expectations.   It did have the Hollywood treatment to a certain extent, but Ben Affleck did a masterful job keeping that under control ("It's not a documentary").   The people who find fault with it for historical inaccuracies are being harsh; suspend disbelief, see the film the way it is intended, and you can't help but be entertained.   Exceptional blend of drama, suspense, humor and poignancy.  

Faolano, I know what you mean; I wasn't disappointed at all.  A true crowd-pleaser.  :)  

Also, I have to mention the period rock music; loved it.   I was thinking of the Music Forum, since there was some great classic rock, especially "When the Levee Breaks" which was fantastic.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Glad you all liked it. I have plans to go see it again next week with a friend on bargain Tuesday..lol..$5.50 admission. Can't beat that!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

miscricket et al, looks as though your judgment is being affirmed by the academies - over and over again.  Bravo to you - and to Argo. ^    

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to Firewind's comment:

miscricket et al, looks as though your judgment is being affirmed by the academies - over and over again.  Bravo to you - and to Argo. ^    

Firewind..I agree! I was disappointed that Affleck was not nominated for a directing Oscar..but he and the movie are getting many accolades from the other academies. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Didn't know that he wasn't nominated.  Was beginning to believe that he's a shoo-in.  "Swing and a miss" by the Oscar folks.  Bet the glaring omission will be panned a few times in the run-up - probably already is - and maybe in the event.    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Not surprisingly..Argo won best picture at last night's Oscar awards. Did anyone watch? I saw the red carpet and the first 15 minutes. Thought Seth Macfarlane did a decent job. I thought the jok about Argo being top secret was pretty funny.

As far as the red carpet..I thought Jennifer Aniston was hands down..the most beautiful and the most beautifully dressed of them all..although Catherine Zeta Jones was a close second.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I saw Argo a few days ago, it was good and I enjoyed it. I doubt that I'll make an effort to see it again.

I saw Silver Lining Playbook yesterday with my family, that one we'll be buying. What an amazing movie. For what it's worth this was without a doubt my favorite movie of the year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

I saw Argo a few days ago, it was good and I enjoyed it. I doubt that I'll make an effort to see it again.

I saw Silver Lining Playbook yesterday with my family, that one we'll be buying. What an amazing movie. For what it's worth this was without a doubt my favorite movie of the year.

Saying that SLP was your favorite movie of the year doesn't mean much without saying how many movies you saw last year.   :)   How many movies did you see?     I've had less than no interest in seeing it, but I rarely go to the movies as it stands.   Love DeNiro, and I'm sure he delivered.  

The movie I am now inspired to see is "Life of Pi" -- has anyone seen it?  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I'm not all that interested in movies myself but my family is so we see a bunch of them. SLP popped up on our radar only because Jennifer Lawrence was up for best actress. I have to say that both she and Bradley Cooper were great. DeNero was his usual stellar self, in fact the entire cast was excellent.

I'm looking forward to seeing Life of Pi too!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Saying that SLP was your favorite movie of the year doesn't mean much without saying how many movies you saw last year.  :)   How many movies did you see?     I've had less than no interest in seeing it, but I rarely go to the movies as it stands.   Love DeNiro, and I'm sure he delivered.  

The movie I am now inspired to see is "Life of Pi" -- has anyone seen it?  

I saw it during it's opening weekend and thought it was a really good movie.It was visually stunning with a simplistic,spiritual message.I saw it in a theater shown in 3D,and I'm glad I did.For me,the movie scenery was probably 80% of the appeal.

Before I had seen it,I had heard that it was heavily religious based,which gave me cause for concern.I found that not to be the case though,it was spiritual,not religous IMO.As much as I enjoy the violence and adult themed movies like Django Unchained,The Life of Pi was a refreshing change of pace for me.It's a movie that's appropriate for any age group,although most children would miss the message in it.

Quite honestly,The life of Pi exceeded my expectations and I'd recommend seeing it.

Also glad to see Christher Waltz get best supporting actor for Django Unchained,it was a well deserved honor.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Saw Argo just this weekend.  Good flick.

And good timing on my part.

:)

Agreed that Ben is 3x the director that he was an actor, but he showed up on time for his own flick.