Best holiday movies?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Best holiday movies?

What movies will you be watching this holiday season? Are there any that you watch year after year? Tell us about it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Best holiday movies?

"The Ref" - definitely one of the funniest and almost like a play viz. the sharp, witty dialogue, but it's a total waste of time watching it on regular tv.  Starring Boston's own Denis Leary, Kevin Spacey, Judy Davis, and directed by Ted Demme (RIP)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston234. Show boston234's posts

ok ok ok......we have been forced to call the season, the holiday season however these "holiday" movies are actually Christmas movies.  So what is the big deal? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Best holiday movies?:
    [QUOTE]ok ok ok......we have been forced to call the season, the holiday season however these "holiday" movies are actually Christmas movies.  So what is the big deal? 
    Posted by boston234[/QUOTE]

What IS the big deal?  You brought it up, sport....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Captmorg. Show Captmorg's posts

When most of these movies were made they were still Christmas movies.  Why, oh why did they become "holiday" movies????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UnplugYourselfFromTheMatrix. Show UnplugYourselfFromTheMatrix's posts

Normally I hate the whole PC liberal "holiday tree" crap etc, but in this case Holiday movies is appropriate, many of these are loosely tied around Christmas, Thanksgiving and or New Years and often are played around this time. Holiday fits the bill here.

A few of my favorites from the list:

A Christmas Story
    Scrooged
    Santa Clause (1985)
    National Lampoons
    Home Alone

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReasonedReply. Show ReasonedReply's posts

Elf

> Elf, [Miles Finch:] "Call me elf one more time. [Buddy:] [after a pause] He's an angry elf...."

> A Christmas Carol, with George C. Scott  "who are these children? They are Man's,'' said the Spirit, looking down upon them. ``And they cling to me, appealing from their fathers. This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased.

> A Christmas Carol, with Alistair Simm  "It's a fine reason to pick a man's pocket every 25th of December"

> It's a Wonderful Life, "Hey Bert! ya know me?" 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

holiday Inn and White Christmas.  Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Die Hard
    Scrooged
    A wonderful Life

All must watch each year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

"A Christmas Carol" with Alistair Sim

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KimmieL. Show KimmieL's posts

A Christmas Story for sure.... I look forward to watching it several times on Christmas Eve every year!!!

Also - 'The Year without a Santa' with the Miser brothers.... favorite 'kid show'...  :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SweetScarlette. Show SweetScarlette's posts

Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol & Bad Santa.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kpm13. Show kpm13's posts

Trapped in Paradise.. How is that not on the list? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Malecopywriter. Show Malecopywriter's posts

In Response to Best holiday movies?:

This is my new favorite holiday movie.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kshaw75. Show kshaw75's posts

Watching the 24 hour marathon of "A Christmas Story" is a given with my family. We watch it at least once on Christmas Eve then usually have it on Christmas morning while opening presents.

"The Ref" is another favorite especially with lines like "your husband isn't dead lady, he's hiding!", as is "The Nightmare Before Christmas". I enjoy the non-traditional holiday movies just as much as the classics, like "White Christmas". Though I must admit to absolutely loathing "It's A Wonderful Life." Jimmy Stewart was an amazing actor, but that movie annoyed me to no end.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pitahya. Show Pitahya's posts

1) Christmas Vacation (gotta see cousin Eddy)
    2) A Christmas Story
    3) It's a Wonderful Life
    4) The Family Stone
    5) Die Hard 1 or 2 (I know it's out of the box but what the hey)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hybird2007. Show hybird2007's posts

Having spent Christmas in a Chinese restaurant, Christmas Story will always be number one. Actually visited the house it was filmed in in Ohio. There was a guy who was an extra in the movie that was selling dvd's of the making of the movie.
       Then comes Sim's Christmas Carol .  Third would be "It's a Wonderful Life".
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GunghoGuy. Show GunghoGuy's posts

The Miracle on 34th Street [1946]....It's a Wonderful Life....The Christmas Story....Lemon Drop Kid....White Christmas.....Holiday Inn...Christmas Carol [1938]  ....Merry  [ Mighty ] Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you who celebrate Christmas!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedEmpire2010. Show RedEmpire2010's posts

Miracle on 34th St (original version - not the remake)
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Year Without a Santa Clause
    Polar Express
    A Christmas Carol (Alistair Sim version preferred but like George C. Scott as well)
    Elf
    Charlie Brown Christmas

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedEmpire2010. Show RedEmpire2010's posts

Ha - mixed my movie names...

Should be: "Year Without a Santa Claus"!

I haven't sat through an entire viewing of "The Santa Clause" yet!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from matmgr1. Show matmgr1's posts

1.  A Christmas Carol (1938 version)

2.  A  christmas Carol (George C. Scott version)

3. Its a Wonderful Life

4. the Bishops Wife

5. The Shop Around the Corner

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hudsonhi24. Show hudsonhi24's posts

Shame, shame. You neglected to mention the first (and for many the best) film version of Little Women, which was produced in 1933, directed by George Cukor, and starring, of course, Katharine Hepburn.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunglasses1940. Show sunglasses1940's posts

White Christmas - Bing, Danny Kaye, Vera Ellen, and my all-time favorite, Rosemary Clooney.

Also, A Christmas Carol.  The one with George C. Scott. 

We watch them both every year!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

My favorite is "It's a Wonderful Life"--a bit trite, overplayed, but so good.  It's not Christmas without it.  A Christmas Story is another classic.  Meet John Doe is a little dark, but good.

I really must object to the number of Christmas specials now called "movies".  A movie isn't under 60 minutes.  A movie was once shown on the big screen--much as I treasure "Year Without a Santa Claus", "Rudolph", "Santa Claus is Coming to Town", and especially "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (the real cartoon one that Dr. Suess actually approved, not the Jim Carrey movie with a Cindy Lou Who who was way more than two!).  Sorry, boys and girls, those aren't "movies", they are specials.  Semantic, perhaps, but would you call an episode of "The Simpsons" a movie?  I wouldn't. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DAAL. Show DAAL's posts

There are 2 movies in my opinion that stand head and shoulders above the rest. I think Miracle on 34th Street is a great 'Christmas' movie, as it manages to capture the true spirit and wonder of Christmas without being syrupy.  I even like the remakes, although the original is a classic(Natalie Wood was great).    It's a Wonderful Life is a wonderful film with a great message about how one life can influence so many others.  It never fails to tug at my heartstrings no matter how many times I see it.  Who would play the role of Jimmy Stewart now?  He was one of a kind.