Your favorite romantic movies?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ncammorata. Show ncammorata's posts

Your favorite romantic movies?

We've compiled our list of the top 25 most romantic movies. Now it's your turn. What are you favorite romantic movies? If you could grow the list, what would you put there?  Join the discussion below and talk about your favorite romantic movies.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Your favorite romantic movies?

I think Witness, the one with Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis, is a great romantic film.  It's also a suspenseful crime drama and a study in culture clash, so it's operating on several levels.  But the love story between Ford and McGillis's characters is wonderfully done.  They know that their time together is running out and their affair ultimately comes down to one night.  In their final goodbye they can't find any words to say so their eyes have to say everything. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fairnsquare. Show fairnsquare's posts

Wasn't there a recent contest here and Casablanca won hands down? At least this time When Harry Met Sally is included in your list.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GGallagher. Show GGallagher's posts

..WHAT ABOUT 'SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE'?....DEFINITELY SHOULD BE IN THE TOP 10!
    AND THE SELECTION OF THE MUSIC IS ENOUGH TO ENDEAR IT FOR.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nancysyd. Show nancysyd's posts

Okay, I know this is one few will get - Black Orpheus, which won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film back in 1959.

In this re-telling of the Orpheus story set during carnival in Rio, the engaged streetcar conductor, Orpheus, meets and falls in love with country girl Eurydice, protecting her from a masked figure known only as "Death." He even descends into Hades to rescue her! All of this set in the favelas and streets of Rio to an incredible samba beat. It made me fall in love twice - with the movie, and also with Rio at carnival.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntersmama72. Show huntersmama72's posts

P.S I LOVE YOU KILLS ME EVERYTIME!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite romantic movies?:
    [QUOTE]Okay, I know this is one few will get - Black Orpheus, which won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film back in 1959. In this re-telling of the Orpheus story set during carnival in Rio, the engaged streetcar conductor, Orpheus, meets and falls in love with country girl Eurydice, protecting her from a masked figure known only as "Death." He even descends into Hades to rescue her! All of this set in the favelas and streets of Rio to an incredible samba beat. It made me fall in love twice - with the movie, and also with Rio at carnival.
    Posted by nancysyd[/QUOTE]

That's a lovely film, indeed. I first saw it in college, in 1976, and see it from time to time ever since.

I might add another foreign film - "Wings of Desire," with Bruno Ganz and the late, beautiful Solveig Dommartin. An angel (Ganz) falls in love with a mortal who flies (Dommartin, as a trapeze artist). A Wim Wenders film, with a haunting Nick Cave score, and a plot influenced by Rilke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solveig_Dommartin

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite romantic movies?:
    [QUOTE]Okay, I know this is one few will get - Black Orpheus, which won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film back in 1959. In this re-telling of the Orpheus story set during carnival in Rio, the engaged streetcar conductor, Orpheus, meets and falls in love with country girl Eurydice, protecting her from a masked figure known only as "Death." He even descends into Hades to rescue her! All of this set in the favelas and streets of Rio to an incredible samba beat. It made me fall in love twice - with the movie, and also with Rio at carnival.
    Posted by nancysyd[/QUOTE]

Also, the film you love so much set me on a quest to learn everything I could about their story, from the first myth to modern poetry, and all the art in between. The MFA-Boston as you probably know has a wonderful American sculpture of Orpheus just inside the Huntington Avenue entrance.

Thanks for posting one of your faves, nancysyd.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In memoriam -- Maria Schneider, who died today:

Last Tango in Paris. (Because toward the end of the film, "Paul" really came to love "Jeanne.")

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sapphira. Show Sapphira's posts

Where were Before Sunrise/Before Sunset?!  Waaaaay more romantic than movies like Ever After.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mathwannabe. Show mathwannabe's posts

In Response to Your favorite romantic movies?:
    [QUOTE]We've compiled our list of the top 20 most romantic movies .  Did we forget your favorite?  We know, we know, but we couldn't possibly list them all.  Join the discussion below and talk about your favorite romantic movies.
    Posted by ncammorata[/QUOTE]
    Cannot leave out David Lean's Brief Encounter.  Not only is Trevor Howard a dish (British style), but the music can't be beat.  And that train...  oh, so sad!  This is how well-adjusted adults grieve for the lost love...  privately.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gardenbees. Show gardenbees's posts

I liked Last of the Mehicans especially the waterfall scene - so romantic.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeasyII. Show LeasyII's posts

Cinema Paradiso -- Hands down.  The New Years Eve Scene gets me every time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from c2d04eefce43050aed85a90f502b8c2f. Show c2d04eefce43050aed85a90f502b8c2f's posts

Dr. Zhivago!!  My favorite all-time movie.

I love the original by the great David Lean (sp?), and there is also a fantastic BBC miniseries from the mid 00's with Keira Knightly ahd Hans Matheson - I never thought I would enjoy it because I have watched the original tens of times, but I loved it.  It is very different, more detailed in story, less sweeping, the music is much more subdued but still very beautiful and impressive.  Both are among my most beloved DVDs.

If you are a lover of the original Zhivago, I strongly recommend taking a look at the BBC version.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmd123. Show kmd123's posts

Moonstruck, without a doubt.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from grayson57. Show grayson57's posts

Gabriella is a great adaptation of the Jorge Amado novel Gabriella, Clove, and Cinnamon. It has Marcello Mastroianni and an earthy, cosmically sensual Sonia Braga.

Truly, Madly, Deeply covers similar territory as Ghost, but with few, if any, special effects and great performances by Alan Rickman and Juliet Stevenson as the lovers parted by death.

The English Patient is filled with tragedy and heartache but the scene where Kip (Naveen Andrews) hoists Hana (Juliette Binoche) toward the ceiling of a bomb-damaged church so she can see centuries-old frescoes up close is magical. 

A Little Romance is a sweet film that treats first-time love with respect and doesn't present the two teenagers (Diane Lane and Thelonious Bernard) as hormonal basket cases.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarysDress. Show MarysDress's posts

Princess Bride and Enchanted April are two of my favorites.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1honeymoon. Show 1honeymoon's posts

I agree that "Somewhere In Time"for me is one of the top 20 Romantic Movies.Jane Seymore & Christopher Reeve create a chemistry that is magical.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SweetScarlette. Show SweetScarlette's posts

Watch Romeo and Juliet made in the late 1960s, its MUCH better than the one from the 1990s. 
    Nothing is more romantic than "Moonstruck" - who doesn't like that one?

Also always forgotten:
    "Jezebel" starring Better Davis
    "Keeper of the Flame" starring Hepburn and Tracy
    "Love Story" - the original preppie three-kleenex movie.
    "Bonnie and Clyde"
    "Edward Scissorhands"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zekoya. Show zekoya's posts

OK, it's technically a mini-series, and as great as it is this entry owes a lot of its weight to the book it's based on, but 1995's Masterpiece Theatre version of Pride and Prejudice, with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, is one of my all-time favorite romantic films. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jazzycakies. Show jazzycakies's posts

How can you not list either The Way we were or Notting Hill. One of my favorites is While you were sleeping.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Far from the Madding Crowd, with Terence Stamp (Troy) and Julie Christie (Bathsheba) (with Alan Bates as the very romantic Gabriel Oak).

----
    There was a satisfactory redo by WGBH and Granada in 1998.

Blade Runner - For its Harrison Ford/Sean Young romance, particularly that great piano/door scene.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I like the Edward Scissorheads pick...Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder were great together.  Also for another offbeat pick, Jake Gyllenhaal and Jena Malone in Donnie Darko.

All the romances I'm choosing are doomed ones, I'm not sure why that is...  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jfa33. Show jfa33's posts

You missed PS I Love You, City Lights, Sleepless, and It Happenned One Night.

In my opinion, The Notebook and Bridges are 1 and 2 hands down.