Your review of the Oscars?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from massp88. Show massp88's posts

Re: Your review of the Oscars?

I never understand all the analysis of the hosts and how they do. Their performance is largely based on the script that was written for them. With that said, I thought James and Anne did a fine job last night. My only complaint about the Oscars is that they go on for too long. 3 plus hours is a bit much. They should condense the show down into a neat 2-2.5 hours That way the biggest award of the night is not announced after 11:30 East Cost Time.

I thought the winners were justified and was glad to see Bale get the Oscar that he clearly deserved. Say what you will about him as a person (I don't think he is that bad) but he sure can act and was finally awarded as such. Melissa Leo was great, dropping an F bomb was funny.

I have read some people's negative comments about Kirk Douglas and have to shake my head and wonder why the hate? Here you have one of the greatest actors of all time and people decide to bash him because we all know so many 94 year old people who would be able to stand up, read from the promter and present an award. People should have more respect to those that paved the way for our present day movies and actors.

It's nice to see people with actual talent and class be showered with awards and attention. For 2 minutes, the media and magazines (People, US Weekly, OK, etc.) can look away from the claseless and fake celebrities (read Teen Mom, The Jersey Shore, etc.).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Seebell. Show Seebell's posts

I totally enjoyed watching the Oscars.  I thought the entertainment from Anne Hathaway and Franco were wonderful.  All the stars looked and sounded great and all seemed much more down to earth than usual which was refreshing.  I enjoyed all of it and thought that it was funny with a few "freshy f-bombs" and thought it was all in good taste.  The whole Oscars Event went lovely and I had a few laughs with some of their purposefully comic stints.  I'd rate it all as "Fabulous".  They covered it all very well.  Loved the real old stuff/movies/stars that they gave tribute to.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from srqflafan. Show srqflafan's posts

The hosting job was the train wreck I expected. Love Anne Hathaway but she could not prop up Franco.  I cannot believe how bad he was.  Agree with everyone that show was too long and dragged badly in spots. Melissa Leo-shame on you and shut your mouth. Just done to gurantee they would talk about her.  No reason for Billy Crystal, the Bob Hope hologram, Celine Dion or introducing a Hilary Swank to introduce the woman who gave out the award.  Just one is enough.  With the red carpet arrivals, five hours of my life that I will never get back.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Well, you lay down with hollywood dogs, and...

Further proof that the Independent Spirit Awards have it all over the glitzy, decadent oscars in terms of fun, film quality and truly deserved recognition of inspired performances and scripts.  And speaking of which, where, oh where is the Globe's coverage of Saturday night's Spirit Awards?  And tone-deaf critics wonder why these films don't get the recognition to which they're entitled...

P.S.  Why didn't it occur to producers that highlighting previous winners the way they did only overshadowed this year's nominees even worse...??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

P.P.S.  Bring back Chris Rock...still the funniest host of the last decade and one of the best comedians out there today.  At least he brought some much-needed irreverence to the proceedings.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngurl. Show beantowngurl's posts

I thought the funniest line was when Sandra Bullock introduced those nominated for best leading male actor.  Her snippet about Javier Bardem in his many roles and scaring everyone in No Country for Old Man for his haircut alone was hilarious. She has good comedic timing for a live show.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from spf781. Show spf781's posts

Utter torture from start to finish. Gwyneth Paltrow, who I usually think is very attractive, looked like she stole some of that "bronzer" from the guy in the Miller Light commercials. And Melissa "LUUUUUV MEEEEEE!" Leo, while turning in a very good performance, made a total buffoon of herself on stage. That award should have gone to Hailee Steinfeld from "True Grit".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from backstreet. Show backstreet's posts

What a disappointment and a waste of time.  Anne was so nervous with her pitchy high voice and fake hellos in the the opening of the Oscars I almost changed the channel, and I should have.  She always overacts in my opinion and was CLEARLY trying to fake her being nervous, which she denied prior to the award ceremony.  Get some classy adult to host next year or the ratings if you even have viewers interested.  When the Academy and ABC representatives came out and said they will be partnering for several more years to come, I was disappointed thinking, oh gosh, this will be boring for 20 more years. Poor jokes, boring, boring, boring.  Mr. Douglas was the highlight of the show!!!!  And genuine to boot! Paltrow needs to stick to acting and her hubby singing songs.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stowe. Show stowe's posts

Hathaway did well and was refreshing with her enthusiasm. Franco was simply a dead dolt dud.  Next year, keep Hathaway and pair her with Mike Myers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from woahwarthogwoah. Show woahwarthogwoah's posts

It's sad when the best thing about an awards show is the appearance of a 94-year-old stroke victim...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redglare2. Show redglare2's posts

Really boring.  I don't watch many of the other award type shows, but I do know that most of them have upped the ante and the pizzazz factor, whether they're the Grammies, the MTV Video awards, or any of those country music award shows.  But the Oscar show never changes, just stays stodgy, almost no matter who hosts it.  I really did wish for Ricky Gervais, but no one even referenced him.  I like James Franco, but I agree that he just wasn't with it at all.  No surprises in the awards at all, either.  {Sigh} We dutifully watch, but I'm not sure why anymore.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Are people really that bent-out-of-shape over a single f-bomb...??  Really...?!??

You do realize one of last summer's best selling singles was titled, "F*** You", don't you??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bad-kitty. Show bad-kitty's posts

I thought Whoopie Goldberg summarized the problems with this broadcast on the View today:  that the hosts had no experience in live broadcasts, no ability to read an audience, bring them back after something unexpected (e.g., an f-bomb), be quick-witted enough to make their own jokes on the fly about what is happening during show . . . and the producers of this show clearly have to hire some new joke writers.  Can't wait to see how E!'s show the Soup and its host Joel McHale discuss this on Friday . . . come to think of it, I think Joel McHale would make an excellent host - saw him on Independent Spirit awards. Funny, intelligent, quick with a quip.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DreamboatAnnie. Show DreamboatAnnie's posts

In Response to Re: Your review of the Oscars?:
    [QUOTE]Are people really that bent-out-of-shape over a single f-bomb...??  Really...?!?? You do realize one of last summer's best selling singles was titled, "F*** You", don't you??
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]
    Not bent out of shape. Just when millions and millions of people are watching from all over the world, would it be so awful to set an example of some class?  The "f"  bomb belongs with The Grammy's.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

It wasn't the worst I've ever seen, the opening was kind of clever in a Forrest Gump kind of way.

It's good to DVR it and then you can FF through the commercials and acceptance speeches. 

I just like to watch it for the dresses......most everyone looked fantastic.  Can't wait for the Fashion Police tonight.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyGator. Show AlyGator's posts

I don't think that people would be so offended by Melissa Leo's f-bomb if it didn't seem so contrived. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mastermou. Show Mastermou's posts

It was pretty boring. I fell asleep for Melissa Leo's and Natalie Portman's awards and also pretty bug chunk in the middle. I always watch the Oscars and I don't think I've fallen asleep before. Colin Firth's acceptance speech was the best thing - funny, witty and charming. Plus - the 5 main winners (4 actors and best picture) were totally predictible. No surprises all night.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

It was tedious, but Ms Hathaway looked so yummy in all her dresses that I kept watching anyway. 

Many reviewers were favorable towards Melissa Leo, but I agree with some, her entire reaction was rehearsed and I couldn't wait for her to get off.  Trying to steal Kirk's cane on the way out was definitely NOT funny.

No doubt we'll be seeing an established comedian hosting next year.  I wouldn't mind Dennis Leary actually,  chain smoking and dropping f-bombs left and right.  But the powers to be will probably never go for it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Your review of the Oscars?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your review of the Oscars? : Not bent out of shape. Just when millions and millions of people are watching from all over the world, would it be so awful to set an example of some class?  The "f"  bomb belongs with The Grammy's.
    Posted by DreamboatAnnie[/QUOTE]

Anyone who needs their examples set by Hollywood actors might do well to re-examine their priorities or else risk holding them to an unrealistic standard.

The 'f-bomb' is an indelible part of our culture, like it or not, so when it's literally in the heat of the moment, who really cares...??  Get over it, already, with the puritanical attitudes about language and sex (OMG, a nip slip!!!)....

And it seems the Grammys - bad as they are - were an all-around better show than the Oscars...as was the host of the Globes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

i'm with you on this one, mattyscorn.  And, btw, Leo's f-bomb WAS bleeped.  Get over it.

Learned on Monday that James Franco's lackluster performance was probably more due to exhaustion than anything else.  He is working on at least one Masters (I think I heard he's working on 3 advanced degrees) at NYU.  He's been commuting back and forth from New York and did indeed leave immediately following the ceremony to return to classes Monday morning.

He may not have been the best host for the Oscars, but anyone suggesting he is anything other than a superb actor is delusional.

And I was one of those wishing Ricky Gervais was there to pop a few balloons.  The "aren't we all just SO wonderful" schtik gets old very quickly.

I'd also add that 10 best picture nominees doesn't feel right.  And one commenter called "The King's Speech" "cute." Really?  Cute?  Brilliant.