Your thoughts on our new scariest movies list?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from greatpumpkin74. Show greatpumpkin74's posts

Re: Your thoughts on our new scariest movies list?

How come there's little representation on this list for classic monsters?  Funny spots or not, "An American Werewolf in London" has moments of outright terror.  the scene on the moors when the original werewolf is stalking the 2 American college students before it murders Jack and infects David is masterfully done, as is the sequence of attacks following David's 1st transformation. This is before we even get to the definitive human metamorphosis scene in all of cinema. I'm sorry, it's scarier than all but a handful of the films on this list. Try watching something besides slasher movies next time.

Also, x2 on Let the Right One In    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatherineHogan. Show CatherineHogan's posts

I am surprised by that The Shining isn't No. 1 - as it is more realistic and probable that some of those above it on the list.  Also - Manhunter = the original Dr. Lecter vehicle is FAR scarrier than Silence of the Lambs.  And it isnt even on the list!  For SHAME!  Great fun to see the list thp!  Thanks. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jnunes63. Show jnunes63's posts

Loved "Let the Right One In" (Swedish version, better than the almost exact American replica "Let Me In") -- great film. However, did not find it incredibly scary... saw it as more of a romantic drama that happened to have some horror elements and conventions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jstizz. Show jstizz's posts

"Cujo" is on your list,  but not "Carrie?"  That's a joke.  "The Others" is a great film missing from this list.  "Rosemarie's Baby" is a classic.  "Mommy Dearest" is scarier than half the movies on the list.  I'd say the list is flawed to say the least. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

I was looking for "Wait until Dark", a scary movie with a great cast made in the late 60's. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from detritus. Show detritus's posts

The omission of "Pandorum" is truly glaring; dark, slimy, violent, and just plain weird. Had me totally creeped out for days.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bensdad1. Show Bensdad1's posts

No doubt. Exorcist is the scariest. If you believe in Good (God) then there has to be bad (devil). It's a movie that I have to be in the proper mood to watch. Why does the Devil have a British accent?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from atarichampion. Show atarichampion's posts

I swear, it seems like for the past two years this Top 50 Scariest Movies list has been featured more prominently on this website than any other news item in the Boston area. What is this site's fascination with this? How many times do I need to come to boston.com to be reminded how scary The Exorcist is? Enough already, we get it. Please, after this Halloween put this thing to bed!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KCMDux88. Show KCMDux88's posts

n Response to Re: Your thoughts on our new scariest movies list?:
    [QUOTE]I swear, it seems like for the past two years this Top 50 Scariest Movies list has been featured more prominently on this website than any other news item in the Boston area. What is this site's fascination with this? How many times do I need to come to boston.com to be reminded how scary The Exorcist is? Enough already, we get it. Please, after this Halloween put this thing to bed!
    Posted by atarichampion[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing.  It has been on the website several times in the past year to the point where it got annoying.  I don't understand why they did that. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmdrflk. Show cmdrflk's posts

Jaws won my top rating as it had it's primary action taking place in briliant sunshine. Nearly all the others had their action taking place at night. There are other daytime horror flicks, but Jaws, scared you 24/7. Can you admit to not being wary of any beach after seeing Jaws? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmdrflk. Show cmdrflk's posts

In Response to Re: Your thoughts on our new scariest movies list?:
    [QUOTE]I was looking for "Wait until Dark", a scary movie with a great cast made in the late 60's. 
    Posted by gandalf433[/QUOTE]

"Wait Until Dark" had a lukewarm reputation, as it may have had only brief flashes of violence. How could Jack Weston's creepy little fat guy not bother people? Just asking. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmdrflk. Show cmdrflk's posts

[QUOTE]the 2011 Red Sox should be on this list
    Posted by leoda[/QUOTE]

Yes, the September meltdown was in the words of Leonard Finch Garnell: "Horrid, simply horrid".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adelie. Show adelie's posts

Loved the fact The Thing was #1, I completely agree with that.  However, The Blair Witch Project not on there at all is just mind boggling to me.  That is one of the mind F'ing movies ever without having to show a single thing. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adelie. Show adelie's posts

[QUOTE]"Cujo" is on your list,  but not "Carrie?"  That's a joke.  "The Others" is a great film missing from this list.  "Rosemarie's Baby" is a classic.  "Mommy Dearest" is scarier than half the movies on the list.  I'd say the list is flawed to say the least. 
    Posted by jstizz[/QUOTE]

Mommie Dearest?!...come on, that's just sad.  One of the most laughably outrageous movies maybe, but scary, heck no.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dadairt666. Show Dadairt666's posts

Rosemary's Baby, The Town That  Dreaded Sundown, The Legend of Bopggy Creek, Snowbeast,  & The Sentinel (1977). Pretty terrifying films critics always ignore when making thes lists.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from monicakaufman. Show monicakaufman's posts

Blair Witch Project?

Oh Jesse Nunez, how could you forget to put Blair Witch Project on this list?  I saw it in 1999 when it first came out while I was living in Baltimore.  I couldn't sleep for a few days.  Then I went backwoods camping that fall with friends in the Shanandoah National Park and hyperventilated, went into full on panic attack just because of that movie.  I was convinced the Blair Witch was outside of my tent (even if it was just a deer and some chipmunks) waiting to get me.  I still will not go camping to this day unless it is in a large campground, and in the middle of the dang thing so that those on the outskirts will get it first.  Very scary movie for sure.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihatethemedia. Show Ihatethemedia's posts

If the Boston Globe is going to recycle this list every year why not at least update it? Why the hell The Blair Witch Project isn't on this list but a stupid movie like Cujo is is beyond reason.

The Thing freaked me out for days after seeing it. I'm sure the remake will be another lame, non-scary, CGI-laden version of the original classic.

Whoever said "Trilogy of Terror" wins a lovely Zuni doll. For 1970s TV production work (sans special effects and CGI) that movie was hella creepy.

Other great scary movies:

The Blair Witch Project (next year it better be on the list)
    The Ring
    The Grudge
    The Others
    Gremlins
    Jaws
    Alien
    The Shining
    28 Days Later
    What Lies Beneath
    The Haunting (the original)
    Drag Me To Hell
    The Audition
    Silence of the Lambs
    Amityville Horror (the original, please, no more remakes!)
    Carrie
    Saw
    Paranormal Activity
    The Exorcism of Emily Rose
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the original)
    A Haunting in Connecticut
    The Walking Dead (TV show)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coyote1. Show Coyote1's posts

No Blair Witch Project? Poltergeist wasn't that scary.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hd55. Show hd55's posts

The Langoliers (Stephen King), while I believe a TV movie, is definitely creepy.  And Motel Hell (while supposedly a satire on other slasher-type movies) is still pretty creepy - low budget, but the whole thing of how he plants humans and then "harvests" them creeps me out - haven't seen it in eons...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hankerectus420. Show Hankerectus420's posts

[QUOTE]I swear, it seems like for the past two years this Top 50 Scariest Movies list has been featured more prominently on this website than any other news item in the Boston area. What is this site's fascination with this? How many times do I need to come to boston.com to be reminded how scary The Exorcist is? Enough already, we get it. Please, after this Halloween put this thing to bed!
    Posted by atarichampion[/QUOTE]

Very easy to just ignore it

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hankerectus420. Show Hankerectus420's posts

At the end of the day, its the opinion of the Globe. Not an official list. So of course, we will all have our own.

As for Blair Witch, which I've seen get lots of mention, I never found it all that entertaining or scary. In fact, I don't think I even care for the "found footage" style of filming. Along with Blair Witch I didn't care for the likes of Cloverfield or Paranormal Activity, two other lauded movies in that style.

Watched the French movie "Them" the other night and while I didn't think it was as good as hyped, the ending just leaves you feeling so uneasy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hankerectus420. Show Hankerectus420's posts

I finally got around to watching Suspiria a few months ago and save for a couple of amusing, disturbing visuals, I found the movie boring and way overrated. I know, sacrilegious to say amongst foreign horror movie snobs. But I found myself nodding througout the movie.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesFNomar. Show JamesFNomar's posts

1. The Exorcist
    2. The Changeling
    3. The Eye
    4. Jaws
    5. The Grudge/ Ju-On
    6. Amittyville Horror
    7. Poltergeist
    8. The Orphanage
    9. Insiduous
    10. Paranormal Activity 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GuessMyName. Show GuessMyName's posts

Yes, Rosemary's Baby is a horrible omission.  Francis Cardinal Spelman forbade good Catholics from seeing this profanation of Our Blessed Mother (staring a Catholic and directed by another).  The scene where she is raped by the Devil is bone-chilling!

Other omissions: "Night of the Hunter" and the original "Cape Fear" -- Robert Mitchum, on of my all-time favorites, could be really scary! 

Hitch brought a lot of other 'psychos' to the silver screen.  Like Bruno in "Stangers on a Train", Uncle Charlie a.k.a. The Merry Widow Murderer in "Shadow of a Doubt".  And of course that crow . . .

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GuessMyName. Show GuessMyName's posts

I also forgot about David Lynch creep-fests: "Blue Velvet" and, better still, "Mulholland Drive".

Does anyone remember Count Floyd's "Chiller Theater" from SCTV?