There was something about the death of Whitney Houston that touched the hearts and souls of people in and outside of the music industry.

Professor Jetro Da Silva, long-time keyboardist, pianist and arranger, and a friend of the late Whitney Houston, will pay tribute to her with his students on January 23, 2013, at the Berklee Performance Center.  

Da Silva first met Houston in 1999, rehearsing with her band.  Da Silva also was in Houston's final world tour, playing keyboards and acoustic guitar.  In his own words, “I saw her as spiritual, anointed, beautiful, talented, and blessed with a beautiful voice. To me, she was not just a singer. I dare to say that she was a trumpet to the world. Her mission on this planet was bigger than just have a unique voice.”

I have to say, despite not following her career, or her parade of hits, I see all too clearly the eloquence of Da Silva's words, as I, too, saw Houston's voice not only as a gift, as if that wasn't enough, but as a vehicle. 

"This tribute is also a reunion for Da Silva and Berklee classmate Michael Trammel, the music executive and former BMG Distribution /Arista Records manager. Special guests will include Gary Michael Houston, Whitney Houston's nephew, and Shalotte Gibson, a long time lead background singer and friend of Houston.   

Professor Da Silva is a full time professor at Berklee College of Music. He has performed with Stevie Wonder, Celine Dion, Faith Hill, Gladys Knight, Mary Mary, Bonnie Raitt, and many more.

The concert will be preceded by a symposium.    Ticket information is on the website.  January 23rd, Berklee Performance Center -- 8:15 p.m.    

With so much negative news lately, I thought this was a nice announcement, and wanted to share it.  Hopefully, the BDC forum functionality will cooperate.  :)