2pac / Tupac -- Now don't go cheatin' on me

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

2pac / Tupac -- Now don't go cheatin' on me

Note: I was recently called "East Coast" by someone who is a big 2pac fan (and who lifves on the West Coast)  -- hence, the story as it unfolded:

Basically there were two rappers in the 90s, 2pac and Biggie. 2pac was the true "king" of the West Coast, and Biggie was king East Coast. 2pac was shot 5 times and mugged and thought Biggie was responsible for it, so 2pac had sex with Biggies wife, and then wrote a song about it which instantly became the greatest diss rap ever made, skyrocketing on the charts; then after watching a Mike Tyson fight in LA, 2pac saw some East Coast dude, and beat him up. Then later that night 2pac was shot in a drive by and died a week later, and everyone thought it was Biggie. 

So, uh, like a year later Biggie Smalls was killed in the same fashion as 2pac..

So -- uh, what's the song??   (no cheatin, ya year me?)  :D

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: 2pac / Tupac -- Now don't go cheatin' on me

That would be "Hit 'Em Up."

I ain't got no m-----f----- friends/
    that's why I f----- your b----, you fat m-----f-----

...I had a phase, haha.  still love me some good ol' 90's rappin from time to time ;)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

What sad lives these people lead.

Sex with another man's wife
    Violently beating up other people
    Shooting one another

Great subjects for songs.

I would like to lead the congregation in a psalm from Neil Young called 'Tired Eyes' then we'll follow with a psalm from Bob Dylan called "You Gotta Serve Somebody.'

Repeat these songs until thoughtsof illicit sex, violence and wrong doing are put out of your mind...change must come to society...and it needs to come soon!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Lyrics like those turn me off. I never liked the Sex Pistols because of their crude lyrics. I'm no prude, but some lyrics are just too crude and unimaginative for my taste. I prefer Hip-Hop when the lyrics were humorous or socially concerned.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Not my thing.

I like plenty of hip-hop and can appreciate the skills they brought - pac could act too, e.g., Gridlock'd...

...but I just never got into the gangsta side that deeply.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

pac could act is right, Juice is an awesome movie haha.  omar epps, too i think.

i'm not condoning anything that he did/said, but when it comes to rapping i tend to pay more attention to the beat than the lyrics.  i just happen to know those lyrics because of how big of a deal it was when he came out with that.  no one knew it would unfold the way it did, and a lot of it came from being stubborn and image-conscious.  also, unfortunately they didn't hold a high regard for women in general, as is evident in the lyrics.  unless you're listening to dear mama.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: 2pac / Tupac -- Now don't go cheatin' on me:
    [QUOTE]pac could act is right, Juice is an awesome movie haha.  omar epps, too i think. i'm not condoning anything that he did/said, but when it comes to rapping i tend to pay more attention to the beat than the lyrics.  i just happen to know those lyrics because of how big of a deal it was when he came out with that.  no one knew it would unfold the way it did, and a lot of it came from being stubborn and image-conscious.  also, unfortunately they didn't hold a high regard for women in general, as is evident in the lyrics.  unless you're listening to dear mama.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Thanks, buddy.  I can't post at peak hours and could not get back here, but I feel as you do.   I don't condone or endorse the subject matter either, by a long shot, but I think the story (IN CONTEXT) is now legendary.

I'll come back in a bit.  I certainly appreciate the comments, just wanted to add a little bit of context to this post, just as my friend, ph, has.   

ETA:
    Sorry if anyone felt badly about the 2pac / Biggie story.   

This sub-genre of rap music is part of a world that I don't inhabit; perhaps, most of us don't.   All I can really judge rap music against is my personal taste in music.  I can't, don't, and won't judge it in terms of its context.   How can I take the actual music out of its context and judge it?   The people that like it and love 2pac to this day (even idolize him) see the world and his words very differently than I do.   That's a good thing, IMO.  

The song in question was part of 2pac's trajectory to stardom, and a testament to his popularity and power.  Of course, his untimely death made him a martyr.  His lifestyle was representative of urban Black Americans, and his words are relatable and have meaning to a segment of our society -- and that includes people who aren't necessarily urban or Black; as ph said,  that might also include people who don't take the lyrics word for word or literally, found and continue to find it a form of expression, and began listening to rap because it was the big trend when they were coming of age.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Oh, and my comment about cheatin' -- was in reference to Wiki yesterday, since it was blacked out, and we were blocked from its use.  Even though there are lots of other resources the provide information about songs (and lots of other content), Wiki is the "go to" resource, as you know.   So there you go.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: 2pac / Tupac -- Now don't go cheatin' on me:
    [QUOTE]Please do not follow Zilla's suggestion, because you might very well put me out of a job. :P
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

You don't have anything to worry about.

Nobody ever takes my advice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

tupac was pretty prolific in terms of the sheer volume of quality songs he wrote, and so many were unfinished/never even recorded.  while we remember the violence and the cursing and degradation of women, we often forget that a facade such as that masques a true artist, who the individual really is.  

rapping is a form of expression, poetry over a beat...if you paid attention, you would hear the contemplative, reflective, and even remorseful tupac just as much as the pistol toting, foul-mouthed tupac.  we shouldn't say it's terrible, every artist has personal issues regardless of how serious they may be...some of the lyrics to classic songs are veiled (often not too thinly) with references many of you would find questionable...

and i'd challenge all of you to not turn out the way a lot of those rappers did/still do growing up in the circumstances they did.  especially tupac.  product of your environment, indeed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

@WhatNow
    Don't sweat it.   Why force yourself to listen to music that you doesn't speak to your sensibilities, doesn't appeal to you, etc.?   

Just keep yourself open.  You might just hear a song you like when you least expect it, and that will begin to open a door for you.   There is lots of hip hop music that goes the "hybrid" route, and that's where you might find yourself drawn in.  

You'd have to really immerse yourself in it if you were seriously experimenting, but finding it through serendipity is more rewarding and will feel more comfortable (and perhaps tends to be more your style of discovery).  GL.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

WDYWN - you should really check out the roots.  that's kind of the tipping point.  they have been around for over 20 years, and have always had a full band.. their drummer (?uestlove) is literally the best according to some, and has played with the one of the most diverse group of musicians i have seen over the years. the rapper (blackthought) is very socially conscious, and thought provoking.  gangsta rap this is not.

the seed 2.0

game theory