Albums which impacted you personally

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Albums which impacted you personally

Hey gang - not asking for a list of your favorite albums or what you think are the greatest albums. Music is personal and everyone's opinions should be respected. What I am interested in knowing are the albums which you can positively state impacted your life to the point where you looked at things differently, became interested in something new because of the album, etc.

For me, I was lucky to gorw up with two sisters who were much older than me & a father who loved the Classics and the Big Bands, so I was introduced to music at a very early age.

Rubber Soul - Only 7 at the time, but I was able to really hear the difference and change in the music. This album made me start paying attention instead of just listening. It was probably because of this album that opened me up to music outside the top 40.

1971 - 1974 - Hit my early teens and before I turned 16, I was strongly impacted by Tarkus: ELP; The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust: Bowie; Quadrophenia: The Who & Queen II. Won't go into what each album did for me, but it affected my look, tastes and understanding of the changes I was going through with that age and understanding that there was a world outside of the Bronx.

Debut releases by The Ramones, The Clash and Sex Pistols introduced me to a new world as well, but in the end, they didn't really change who I was. Quadrophenia and Who's Next had already shown me this path.

1981 - Def Leppard - High and Dry - slapped me back to my senses as I came to the realization that Punk was just an illusion for me. I came from a middle-class lifestyle and even in the 70's depression that was NYC, I never hurt for anything.

1990 - Alice in Chains - Facelift. The party of the 80's was over and it was time to grow up. Thank you guys for this album.

Hope you guys find this to be a worthwhile thread.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Albums which impacted you personally

Cool topic, Jess. For me ...

"Abbey Road." Was only 7 when it came out,  but I had an older brother who steered me the right way. He brought it home the day it arrived in our tiny little town (October, I'm thinking) and we listened to it for hours. I remember looking at each other in amazement during the the side two medley, which is the greatest 20 consecutive minutes of music ever recorded.

"Born to Run." Hadn't heard of Springsteen yet, but my older friend Sammy who was so cool  played it for me one day. When I heard "Jungleland," I knew right then I was somehow going to have to scrape together $5 and buy it. I did, and it stayed on my turntable for about five months straight. I eagerly awaited  "Darkness on the Edge of Town," and a long relationship was started.

"London Calling" introduced me to a different genre of music.  At the time, I dismissed "punk" as junk. Then I heard "London Calling"  at a friend's house and realized "punk" was a stupid term. Rock and roll, baby. The Clash never gets enough credit for its versatility, songwriting, and musical talent.

"The Pretenders." Rolling Stone recently ranked the all-time best debut albums, and  this was No. 11. I  remember buying it about two years after it came out at the sugggestion of my then-girlfriend (Chrissie, ironically enough) and was  blown away. Still play it all the time. "Lovers of Today" is one of the most underrated songs ever.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Interesting topic.

Growing up with several older brothers and sisters, I had lots of early exposure to 70s rock of varying types - Zep, Floyd, Kiss, Van Halen, et al. were all mainstays.  The radio was always on as were shows like american bandstand.  Likewise, I inherited their records and tapes and posters, etc.

Like jessey, Rubber Soul was one of the first albums I remember listening to intently at maybe 4 or 5.  It was simple and melodic enough to follow yet still sophisticated for young ears.  However, two albums in particular were the ones I claimed as my own - independent from others' tastes or influence:

Violent Femmes (debut):- To an adolescent, this was a revelation; it was raw and edgy, kinda raunchy and contemporary, like it was made for me and not my siblings; plus it appealed directly to the angst and coiled tension of a pre-teen; they felt like buddies I hadn't met yet but still had much in common with.  This was my first notion of an alternative to mainstream pop/rock.

Big Star - #1 Record/Radio City: though they were slightly before my time, I really identified with these LPs...especially the track "Thirteen", which again as a raging pubescent captured everything I was thinking and doing.  They had long since passed but felt mythic and obscure, like a kept secret; plus, the songs ran the gamut from small and sweet to loud and raucous.

Both of these bands/albums ended up heavily influencing my tastes from that point on, through college rock bands like the Replacements and Pixies in the 80s or similarly ragged, indie, garage-y styles in the 90s as well as pre-dated influences like the Velvets, Brit Invasion, Talking Heads, Television, etc.  They didn't so much replace the hits and radio rockers of the time as edify and inform my choices across the whole spectrum of rock music.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The first album that really had an impact on me was "The Monkees".It was the first album I bought.Even though I was only 8 at the time,the Monkees were a band I thought I could relate with.They were young,funny and we were able to watch them on TV.It felt like they were a band of my generation,I was growing along with them as they were growing and maturing.

I had older sisters who were listening to the Beatles,Stones,Dave Clark 5 and Herman Hermits and I liked all of them too,but just felt like they were older and more established.I was catching the Monkees from the beginning and that's what made them so special to me at the time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

There were two albums that did it for me as well. Both were around early high school or 8th grade and both were older albums from years previous. I think at that age they both kinda spoke to me. Both of these I initially borrowed from the library.

The first was "Quadrophenia". I still listen to that today. Love it. The music is phenominal. It is written for a teeanage boy, going through all those emotions and trouble and trying to find where you fit in.

The 2nd and I am not sure why was "The Lamb Lies Down of Broadway". I don't listen to it much now, but I listen to the live versions of a lot of those songs. When I was grounded or had to do yardwork I would put the cassette into my yellow sports Walkman and tune out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

The first album that really had an impact on me was "The Monkees".It was the first album I bought.Even though I was only 8 at the time,the Monkees were a band I thought I could relate with.They were young,funny and we were able to watch them on TV.It felt like they were a band of my generation,I was growing along with them as they were growing and maturing.

I had older sisters who were listening to the Beatles,Stones,Dave Clark 5 and Herman Hermits and I liked all of them too,but just felt like they were older and more established.I was catching the Monkees from the beginning and that's what made them so special to me at the time.

Love this. It has taken well over 40 years, but I believe the importance that the Monkees had on both Pop Culture and music itself are truly coming to the forefront.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to lefig's comment:

There were two albums that did it for me as well. Both were around early high school or 8th grade and both were older albums from years previous. I think at that age they both kinda spoke to me. Both of these I initially borrowed from the library.

The first was "Quadrophenia". I still listen to that today. Love it. The music is phenominal. It is written for a teeanage boy, going through all those emotions and trouble and trying to find where you fit in.

The 2nd and I am not sure why was "The Lamb Lies Down of Broadway". I don't listen to it much now, but I listen to the live versions of a lot of those songs. When I was grounded or had to do yardwork I would put the cassette into my yellow sports Walkman and tune out.

Quadrophenia has to be regarded as one of the most important albums of the 70's. I personally felt that album was talking directly to me. I dropped out of College after 3 months in 1975. The jobs that were open to me because of that decision were on par with being a bellboy, maybe even worse. Thankfully I made the decision to go back to school a few years later.

I think one of the reasons I bring this subject up is because I find myself in the car and since I do not have satelite radio or use my i-pod, these are the discs are bring with me constantly. It is not possible for me to ever get tired of hearing these albums.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

The Clash - The Clash (their first album) Just loved the style, the message, the energy

The Pogues (Rum Sodomy and the LAsh) combined Punk and traditional Irish music. Two of my faorites. Sprinkle in the amazing song writing of Shane MacGowan.

The Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bullocks.. Loud and angry. Came at the right time

Lloyd Cole and The Commtions - Rattlesnake  Loved the melodies and the lyrics. Just a very soothing album to listen to when stressed out.

So many more

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Good point, should have listed the first album I ever bought, which is a classic: "Sweet Baby James" by James Taylor.

I was 7 or so. Had money, wanted to by an album. My big brother worked at Rose's downtown and suggested that one. Which, of course, he also wanted.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Back To The Light - Brian May

http://www.queenvault.com/linernotes/backtothelightlinernotes.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

+1

Brian May has to be considered when discussing greatest musicians (guitarists) of all time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Neil Young- Tonight's The Night....I don't want to get into details , my teenage years were not my favorite years and thiis album came out smack in the middle of those years and was loaded with sadness and grief.

Depeche Mode- Violator- this album reminds me of the best years of my life and opened the door to a love for synthesized music and industrial , which I love to this day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Like others, there are quite a few.   Some key highlights:

From key classic era:  Who's Next - When I got hold of this, it seemed like I was in the school of rock or something.   Not ordinary rock music, and it seemed to tell a story (I knew nothing of  the aborted attempt to make some of the songs into a rock opera).   Timeless to this day, IMO.  

Flesh and Blood - Roxy Music's album was a gift to me, years after it's release, and I loved the mix of some of the (now well-known) covers with originals.   Perfect album for me, and brought me to "moody" music that I love to this day.  Very exotic to me at the time.   I did not like Avalon as much on the whole by the time I got hold of it, but  "More than This" (on Avalon) remains one of my theme songs to this day (and can speak to any generation, IMO).   Gorgeous song.  

Actually - Pet Shop Boys' album, another gift to me (had some great music people in my life that introduced me to music that turned out to be the most influential, didn't I?)  -- totally opened my ears to synth pop, and now the offshoot dream pop, that I love to this day.   PSB are still going strong, and one of the most popular musical artists ever to come onto the scene from the UK. 

Book of Secrets - Beginning of my love for all things Celtic with the intoxicating voice and ethereal presence of Loreena McKennitt.  

Cupid and Psyche - Scritti Politti's album -- another gift (can you believe it?) of music that fostered my love for synthie dance / dream pop to this day.     Post-punk and very stylish.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Quadrophenia was a huge one for me also.  Musically, nothing has ever captured the turmoil of adolescence quite like that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Neil Young- Tonight's The Night....I don't want to get into details , my teenage years were not my favorite years and thiis album came out smack in the middle of those years and was loaded with sadness and grief.

Definitely a supremely cathartic album.  The depths of his emotion always amaze me, but it's funnier how I still find much to enjoy in even Neil's darkest tunes.

Coupled with On The Beach, the two albums are among my very favorite two-fers in rock...like two sides of a coin.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Well, the first album I ever bought was Led Zeppelin II, so that has to be listed. The other one that springs to mind was the first album I ever got stoned and listened to all the way through; Dark Side of the Moon. Also Cosmos Factory absolutely blew me away the first time I heard it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

2 more for me were:

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures..  I remember hearing it back in high school on I bleive was a local college rdio station and thinking wow this is different... realy cool

The The - Soul Mining.. I remember just listenting to this on vinyl over and over and over and it always put me in a good space. Beautiful British pop

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

• Double Nickels on the Dime - Minutemen
    • Flip Your Wig - Husker Du (includes my favourite ever song, Flexible Flyer...it's genius)
    • Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables - DKs

Nothing else springs to mind at the moment.