Another Rolling Stones tour : Five Reasons to Care (or not ...)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Another Rolling Stones tour : Five Reasons to Care (or not ...)

Seems the biggest concern is the affordability of a ticket.   Other than that, the band continues to play on:

NEW YORK (AP) — Ladies and gentlemen, the Rolling Stones.

With Wednesday's announcement of a new Stones nine-city tour, those words again signal the start of a rock 'n' roll show. Young music fans may wonder why there's still a fuss over dad's, or grandpa's, favorite band. Here are five reasons to care.

1. LIVING HISTORY: Elvis Presley is dead. The Beatles will never perform again. The Who is down to two originals. Membership of rock's Greatest Generation is fading. The Stones, Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney are links to a special time in music history, and you can still see them in concert. If the Stones' form of classic rock moves you, it's hard to conceive of a band today building such an impressive catalog in the same style. Fashion, and the business, has moved on.

2. LIVE BAND: They'll never admit it, but deep down the Stones surely know they haven't made memorable new music in decades. They have, however, kept their chops and deliver the songs you want to hear with power and precision. You can't find a better Stones tribute band. The Stones are fully aware of their best work; you won't hear a flabby show. The past few times out, it has been more than greatest hits performed on autopilot.

3. KEITH RICHARDS: There was a time, kids, when Keith was a menace to society, a walking advertisement of the evils of drugs. Now he's a beloved figure, humanized by one of rock's best biographies and the model for Johnny Depp's Capt. Jack Sparrow character in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series. He's your cool, crazy uncle. He plays a pretty decent guitar, too.

4. CHARLIE'S FACE: There's no better facial expression in rock 'n' roll than the bemused one worn by drummer Charlie Watts as he takes in the madness around him. Watch Watts when Mick Jagger does a particularly audacious chicken strut.

5. THE LAST TIME: We'll be surprised if this is labeled as some sort of retirement tour; they've been subjected to so many age jokes over the years that the topic itself is old. And these men are in surprisingly good shape for the years of hard living. But Richards is 69, the same age as Mick. Watts will be 72 in June. Reality is catching up. Probably even before they expect it, they'll be singing "The Last Time" for the last time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Another Rolling Stones tour : Five Reasons to Care (or not ...)

It would actually be kind of fitting if one of them died in the middle of a show.  Not in a morbid sense, but in the sense of rocking and rolling till death.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I have no problem with it. If they enjoy what they're doing and giving it their all and not mailing it in, then fine -- have fun. They still put on a great show by all accounts.

Rock and roll was for the young when it began but not anymore. We all grew up with rock and as we age, there's nothing wrong with still loving it and loving to see your favorite groups (if they're still alive and around).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I saw them at the old Gillette Stadium, Lenny Kravitz opened the show......AWESOME!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

It's pretty amazing they are still going strong... I'm not a huge fan (liked there real early stuff) but kudos to them wanting to keeep it going

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

I saw them at the old Gillette Stadium, Lenny Kravitz opened the show......AWESOME!

I was there, too.  :)  Tailgated all day in the rain and partied like a banshee.  Out of literally hundreds of shows, it's still one of the most enjoyable concerts I've ever attended.

Between that show and the Steel Wheels tour in '89 (w/ Living Colour), I think I've had my share (but I wouldn't refuse a gimme).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Read last night that they are making a tour stop in Boston.   Little news piece on BDC today; as mentioned yesterday, the ticket prices are expected to be sky high.   Since it really may be the "last time" (who knows?), there are plenty of people who will be williing to shell out the $$$ for a ticket.    There's a discussion on BDC, too:

"The 80-foot-tall Rolling Stones billboard that appeared a few days ago on Summer Street, right outside the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center, was our first clue that the World’s Greatest Rock and Roll Band might be making a stop in Boston soon.

And, sure enough, promoter AEG Live announced Wednesday that the Stones will indeed be playing at TD Garden June 12 as part of the band’s “50 and Counting” tour. (The 50 refers to the number of years the band has been playing together, not their ages, which are closer to 70.)

No word on when tickets will be available or how much they’ll cost, but you can bet they won’t be cheap. Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Charlie Watts, and Mick Taylor, a Stones alum who’s back in the fold for this tour, have been promised a bounty of between $4 million and $5 million per show, and you don’t make that pricing tickets at $40 a pop, even if you fill all 18,900 seats at the Garden.

In a statement issued Wednesday, Jagger sounds energized for a guy who’ll celebrate his 70th birthday in July.

We did a few shows in London and New York last year . . . and had such a good time that we thought . . . let’s do some more,” he said in the statement. “It’s a good show. Lots of the classic stuff everyone wants to hear. With a few little gems tucked in here and there. The stage is shaped like lips and goes off into the venue so I get to run around in the crowd. It’s great fun to be able to get that close to the audience.”

Added Richards: “From day one at rehearsals it sounded so fresh. You could tell that everybody was dying to get their teeth into it.”

Of course, this isn’t the same band that started a riot at Manning Bowl in Lynn in 1966; or the one that showed up four hours late for a show at Boston Garden in 1972 because Richards allegedly slugged a photographer at an airport in Rhode Island; or the one that played a mesmerizing show at the Garden in 1975 featuring a giant inflatable phallus; or even the one that opened their “Forty Licks” tour at the FleetCenter in 2002 by playing four songs from their classic 1972 LP “Exile on Main Street.” (Tickets for that show, by the way, were $350.)

“My personal view is that the Stones were over in 1967 with the release of ‘Aftermath.’ They personified the ’60s — invented it in many ways,” says rock biographer and Milton resident Stephen Davis , author of “Old Gods Almost Dead: The 40-Year Odyssey of the Rolling Stones.” “Now we’re into a heritage act.”

Why, with mansions and untold millions, are the Rolling Stones going back on the road?

“It’s what they do, and it’s not just them. They have an entourage of hundreds who depend on them to keep their families in food and drugs,” says Davis. “The Stones isn’t just a band, it’s a machine, a kaleidoscope of corporations.”

Former Globe critic Steve Morse has seen the Stones countless times, including their famous 1969 show in London’s Hyde Park. Will he be paying a small fortune to see them yet again?

“I’ll wait to see what the tickets cost,” said Morse. “But, you know, the Stones come of the blues tradition, of Muddy Waters and guys who bopped til they dropped. I’m excited.”

Sounds like a yes to us.

http://www.boston.com/names/2013/04/03/rolling-stones-play-garden-june/Acy11Ts5VYEJGsPkncG6tL/story.html?comments=all#aComments

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

Who is Stephen Davis?   

Otherwise known as the nasty little writer behind tawdry Zep bio, "Hammer of the Gods"...

...thus his opinion means less than nothing, to me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Who is Stephen Davis?  They were over in '67, after the release of 'Aftermath'?!?   Just getting started, I'd say, with the best just ahead of them at that point.  'Beggars', 'Let it Bleed', 'Exile',  that's the pinnacle to my ears.  They were 'over' after 'Some Girls', although they still had the occasional gem in them after that.

Slim, you're not the only one who disagrees.   You should check out the comments on BDC.   There were many commenters that were all over that statement.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

If you have a chance, go to the article directly on BDC and see the discussion / comments there.    

It's on the front page of BDC, or use the link I posted.   

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Time is running out for me and the Stones stand alone as the one band I never saw. Since Mick Taylor is playing with them, maybe it is time I give in.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Here's 5 more:

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moOamKxW844

Come on....drop the past.  I don't know much about the Boston music scene anymore...but there must be more interesting things happening than the Stones, bless them, playing Hyde Park.

I can tell you about London, though:

• Thee Spivs are foooking brilliant.  To me, they embody the the modern London the way the Clash were the 1970s London.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62h0BLD3DKI
    • The Ten O Sevens - barely, if even, 20, loads of exciting, original songs, electrifying live
    • Ricky C Quartet....terrible name, great instrumentalists, great songs.....Iberian/Brazilian in-your-face punk rock.
    • Dustaphonics
    • Masonics (hardly 20, but Mickey Hampshire is a machine...a legend... and is honestly improving after 30+ years).  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA9owX9QrkQ
    • London Dirthole Company 
    • loads more....if you care enough to make the effort, it's all out there

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Who is Stephen Davis?  They were over in '67, after the release of 'Aftermath'?!?   Just getting started, I'd say, with the best just ahead of them at that point.  'Beggars', 'Let it Bleed', 'Exile',  that's the pinnacle to my ears.  They were 'over' after 'Some Girls', although they still had the occasional gem in them after that.

"over in '67" is too strong, IMO, but you're not far off.  To me, they peaked - at the top of the rock'n'roll tree - in '66/'67.  Aftermath was their best, and Buttons was weird but had loads of strong songs.  After that?  Lots of high points.....became a great riffy rock band....lots of ideas (SMR very underrated, if derivative).....Exile also had many high points....but that was it IMO.....barely anything of note since 1972 (that's an 8-year run of brilliance, btw, hardly an insult!).   Yeah yeah yeah, a few catchy AOR rock songs....a few memorable ones even.  But compare any of their songs post-1972 to "Paint It Black".