Anyone Still Make Mix CDs...?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Anyone Still Make Mix CDs...?

I do, and I have since I was a young'un doing it on cassette tapes.

Sometimes it's just to put a bunch of recent acquisitions together in a given context.  Other times, it's more random compilations of album tracks or underused songs.  There are no rules, IMO.

I've always loved the curatory aspect to it, plus it sets a limit of an hour or so of music...versus playlists which can go on blithely.  One playlist I did for a recent camping trip totalled 19 hours...mostly well-received.

For my part, it could be a bit obsessive, as I have hundreds now - many of which are cryptically titled and may lack proper track listings.  But that's also the fun of it.  I can dig out a mix I made 10 years ago and hear things that have been pushed aside or re-discover live tracks I didn't know I had.  

Anyway, share some of your fave mixes or techniques or comments.  Here's a sampling of a recent mix I burned, INPO:

George Baker Selection - Little Green Bag

Treat Her Right - I Think She Likes Me

Govt Mule - 30 Days in the Hole (live w/ Little Milton)

Pretenders - Time The Avenger

ZZ Top - Sheik

Talk Talk - Life's What You Make It

Pink Floyd - Young Lust

Trombone Shorty - Dumaine St.

13th Floor Elevators - You're Gonna Miss Me

Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite - Get Up!

Husker Du - Too Far Down

Morphine - French Fries With Pepper

Jim James - State Of The Art (A.E.I.O.U.)

Tori Amos - Caught A Lite Sneeze

Style Council - The Whole Point Of No Return

Kopecky Family Band - Heartbeat

Critiques welcome....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Anyone Still Make Mix CDs...?

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sometimes it's just to put a bunch of recent acquisitions together in a given context.  Other times, it's more random compilations of album tracks or underused songs.  There are no rules, IMO.

I've always loved the curatory aspect to it, plus it sets a limit of an hour or so of music...versus playlists which can go on blithely.  One playlist I did for a recent camping trip totalled 19 hours...mostly well-received.

For my part, it could be a bit obsessive, as I have hundreds now - many of which are cryptically titled and may lack proper track listings.  But that's also the fun of it.  I can dig out a mix I made 10 years ago and hear things that have been pushed aside or re-discover live tracks I didn't know I had.  

Anyway, share some of your fave mixes or techniques or comments.  Here's a sampling of a recent mix I burned, INPO:

ZZ Top - Sheik

Pink Floyd - Young Lust

Husker Du - Too Far Down

Critiques welcome....

[/QUOTE]

My opinion on your musical taste means nothing, IMO, and vice versa.  Of the 16 bands mentioned, Husker Du is my all-time favourite band by a wide margin, I love the Elevators and Roky, I (emigrated from Boston on 18 Dec 1989 (my birthday, so I remember) thought THR were THE WORST band in Boston by a WIDE margin.  Then Mark Sandman created musical alchemy.  I have heard of some of the others, and like some...but my point is:

I like you....I repect you....I assume you are a musician (I'm not)....and assume you know far more about music than I do.  Facts.

Regardless, do you think tape/digital music is anywhere close to quality of vinyl music?

I'm not pretending to be Mr Music...I'm nothing from nowhere.  I'm not a proselytiser for analog music, I have no musical or technical skills...but the difference in sound is so absurdly, comically clear IMO....if someone is unwilling to listen (it is not "unable", the difference is blinding obvious) then they can can rot in iPod Hell.

There are also people that a) can't hear the difference between "Mono" and "Stereo" music (shocking!  It is so different!) and b) assume "Stereo Good!  Mono Bad"

If you give a sh1t, and you probably don't, and don't already have some/all of the Beatles singles...you can easily buy repros of all their singles...both stereo and mono.  Spend $10 on a pair, take them home, play them and decide if they sound the same.

If you prefer one to the other, fair dues.  If you can't hear the difference....I SAID IF YOU CAN'T HEAR THE DIFFERENCE.

I'll still love you.  x

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ZZ Top - Sheik

Pink Floyd - Young Lust

Husker Du - Too Far Down

Critiques welcome....

[/QUOTE]

My opinion on your musical taste means nothing, IMO, and vice versa.  Of the 16 bands mentioned, Husker Du is my all-time favourite band by a wide margin, I love the Elevators and Roky, I (emigrated from Boston on 18 Dec 1989 (my birthday, so I remember) thought THR were THE WORST band in Boston by a WIDE margin.  Then Mark Sandman created musical alchemy.  I have heard of some of the others, and like some...but my point is:

I like you....I repect you....I assume you are a musician (I'm not)....and assume you know far more about music than I do.  Facts.

Regardless, do you think tape/digital music is anywhere close to quality of vinyl music?

I'm not pretending to be Mr Music...I'm nothing from nowhere.  I'm not a proselytiser for analog music, I have no musical or technical skills...but the difference in sound is so absurdly, comically clear IMO....if someone is unwilling to listen (it is not "unable", the difference is blinding obvious) then they can can rot in iPod Hell.

There are also people that a) can't hear the difference between "Mono" and "Stereo" music (shocking!  It is so different!) and b) assume "Stereo Good!  Mono Bad"

If you give a sh1t, and you probably don't, and don't already have some/all of the Beatles singles...you can easily buy repros of all their singles...both stereo and mono.  Spend $10 on a pair, take them home, play them and decide if they sound the same.

If you prefer one to the other, fair dues.  If you can't hear the difference....I SAID IF YOU CAN'T HEAR THE DIFFERENCE.

I'll still love you.  x

[/QUOTE]

Appreciated.

No, I'm not a musician, although I took lessons as a kid; tried varied instruments; determined I could play none of them due to "stupid fingers" (though I was best at the bass and played badly in a couple of bad high school bands).  I'm really an eclecticist and amateur cultural critic with archivist tendencies (in short, a 'vulture').

I can definitely hear the difference - from vinyl to tape to CD to mp3/flac - between musical formats, and I agree that there's no question about degradation in sound quality.  I feel the same way about looking at a painting in person or seeing a reproduction in print - there's no real comparison.

I still have a small collection of vinyl and cassette - more for nostalgia than heavy listening.  But therein lies the rub: as a heavy listener and sponge of music, digital has set the form free in a way that's portable, exchangeable, durable and ultimately convenient.  Instead, I try to find the best quality files I can.

Heck, some of the best sounds I ever heard were played on R2R systems, but I'm just not that much of an audiophile to be that demanding.  The newer technology, however, still has some ways to go, and there are aspects to it that could be more fruitful going forward.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't make mix CD's but I make my own customized 'best of' CD's for certain artists.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

I make mix CDs for my car, because my ipod won't work with it and I don't feel like replacing whatever parts are broken.

I can't run them off the top of my head, but the general concept is almost always a mix within the same artist.

Most typically, if the artist has multiple live albums I like to assemble my favorite list of tracks, etc. The Doors, in particular.

Or, for example, if I like a bunch of songs across a few albums but do not necessarily like all of the albums enough to play start to finish (ie, Slash's 2010 studio album, live album, and 2012 studio album).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

However, I find that if I'm listening to music at home, I tend not to make a playlist. When I'm not listening to albums straight through (which I often do), I like to listen to a few songs from one artist and switch to another specific song whenever the urging comes into my head and bounce around that way.

I typically end up working my way from louder to gentler music...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I make mix CDs for my car, because my ipod won't work with it and I don't feel like replacing whatever parts are broken.

[/QUOTE]

Same here.  Only one of our cars is ipod compatible, so the other tends to be stocked with mixes and albums.

I also do the same with live stuff, as it's sometimes hard to get a complete show that's 100%, especially from my Dead and Phish collections.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

The closest I get to mixed CD's is when I open up the Zeppelin 3 jewel case and the White Album disk 2 was in it.  How the hell did that happen?  When was the last time I listened to Zeppelin 3?  I do love me some Immigrant Song.