Are you familiar with Bob Welch?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Are you familiar with Bob Welch?

In case you don't know, Bob Welch is (was?) a singer, songwriter, guitarist who was the frontman for Fleetwood Mac in the inbetween years of the early seventies( just before they made it big...too bad for Bob). The original band was a Blues group fronted by the great Peter Green (writer of "Black Magic Woman", "Oh, Well" and "Green Manalishi" songs covered by other groups with mixed success. When Green left the band, Bob Welch assumed the frontman position alongside Danny Kirwin, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood. They were later joined by Christine McVie (formerly known as Christine Perfect, she married John). Bob left to go solo after about 5 LP's with 'the Mac'. Fleetwood Mac replaced Bob with the singer, songwriter, guitarist Lindsey Buckingham, who brought along his female singing mate Stevie Nicks....the rest is history.

But this is about Bob Welch, who made a number of very good solo LP's (4 , I think), the best of which is his first "French Kiss" , which has a number of real great songs. The Fleetwood Mac years of which Welch was the main guitarist, singer, songwriter have been obscurred(always loved that word!) by the fame of the "new" Fleetwood Mac with Buckingham and Nicks contributing so many of the hits along with Christine. This is a shame as Bob Welch is really a very talented singer/musician who is all but forgotten , lost in the megatons of classic rock that never got serious or frequent airplay.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Are you familiar with Bob Welch?

Don't be shocked Zil, but I bought Welch's album "French Kiss" when it came out. I liked the song "Sentimental Lady" so I went ahead and bought the album. I must say, I did enjoy it at the time. Today, I only have it on vinyl and never replaced it with a CD version, so it's been years since I've listened to it. Talk about triggering a flashback!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

French Kiss was one of my most listened-to albums during undergrad years.  Don't remember that many of the songs now (wonder why...) but one that sticks out if I recall correctly was Ebony Eyes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: Are you familiar with Bob Welch?:
    [QUOTE]French Kiss was one of my most listened-to albums during undergrad years.  Don't remember that many of the songs now (wonder why...) but one that sticks out if I recall correctly was Ebony Eyes.
    Posted by gerbs[/QUOTE]

Yes, "Ebony Eyes" was a good song from that album. I remember it well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"Hot Love in a Cold World" and "Outskirts" were two of my favorites along with "Ebony Eyes."

The 2nd solo LP "Three Hearts" also had some good songs, I recommend it to those who enjoyed 'French Kiss.' A song called "The Ghost of Flight 401" is a favorite of mine as I am a big fan of strange occurances (used to love the old Leonard Nimoy show "In Search Of"). And I read the book about the Eastern Flight 401 that crashed and the appearance of ghosts on Eastern Flights that warned crew of future mishaps and prevented them.

To further the history lesson, Welch also briefly headed a band called Paris before recording 'French Kiss.'

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I remember Bob Welch now, especially after googling info about the French Kiss album. Pictures of this album were all over the place at the time, and it sure brings back memories.

I didn't realize that Bob Welch had a Fleetwood Mac connection .... learn something new everyday on this forum.

I definitely remember Ebony Eyes. Here's a link to where Stevie Nicks is singing Ebony Eyes with Bob Welch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO-9dn8zLfo&feature=related

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I own it and think it is an excellent album.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

"Hypnotized" and "Emerald Eyes" off of Fleetwood Mac's "Mystery To Me" album are both minor 70's classics.  I prefer FM's version of "Sentimental Lady" to Welch's solo version, but the differences there are negligible.

I love playing some of these tunes and seeing the wonder on friends' faces as they learn that these are also Fleetwood Mac songs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

I still have that album but haven't listened to it in years...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I just want to add that many of my favorite Fleetwood Mac songs come from the Bob Welch era of the band.

"Sands of Time" and the title song from the Future Games LP are excellent songs and a song called "the Ghost" from the Bare Trees LP is also a great Welch-penned tune.

The main reason this band didn't achieve wide spread success in America before 1975 was not because of lack of talent, but mainly lack of success with serious airplay of singles on the then more popular "top 40" stations....this was a version of Fleetwood Mac that was made for early 70's FM , where real DJ's played album tracks instead of just the singles.