Artist from certain decades that do not get enough praise/recognition.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Artist from certain decades that do not get enough praise/recognition.

Every decade in music has a number of bands or solo acts that do not quite get into the top tier and in fact don't even get talked about enough.

I think the 60's had lots of good groups and there is a great shift in sound from the early 60's ( surf/garage bands) and the later 60's psych and folk rock. Beacuse of this and the sheer number of groups it is tough to identify many of the bands that have been sort of forgotten. But I am a big fan of the Bobby Fuller Four ( I Fought the Law) who were so great but, sadly Bobby Fuller was killed.

70's-Nazareth (again this decade also had a ton of artists to choose from).

80's into the 90's - Love and Rockets ( ditto , this period also had tons of candidates).

I have reliquished the 90's and 2000's to the dominant forces on that subject. You know who you are.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Artist from certain decades that do not get enough praise/recognition.

For the 70's - none other that Zilla's favorite band.

CHEAP TRICK

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The Bobby Fuller Four is a nice choice. I hadn't thought of them in years. We actually covered I fought the law in one of my bands. My choice for the 60s though, has to be Ten Years After, just because Alvin Lee was one of the most amazing guitarists I've ever heard and nobody ever talks about him. Nazareth for the 70s is another nice choice. I think I agree with that one. For the 80s though, I have to go with Jack Mack and the Heart Attack. They had a very tight soul/rnr rhythm section and a big rocking horn section. Every time I hear them I feel like dancing, and nobody ever talked about these guys. Here's a couple of links so you can check them out for yourself
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqU4wNrzBTA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QColEMd2Umo&feature=related
    The second one is with Ginger Baaker on the drums doing an old Cream song.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

carnie, good call on Ten Years After, also we could add Alvin Lee's solo career in the 70's.

jessey, I thought we buried the hatchet on that subject. But I have been expecting a reply like this for sometime. Because you are in ,at least, one way somewhat like me ...you seldom miss a chance to add some humor.

I wish there were more like you. Life is too short to be miserable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

How about a band that ended the 70's as one of the top bands around but seemed to start fading away as the 80's pushed along?

The Cars were as big as it got for awhile and then basically disappeared.

The news is that they are back in the studio recording new material. I think Gregg Hawkes is replacing the great Benjamin Orr

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

70's 10CC...just my personal taste though

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

So I wasn't going to post a 90s band, and then I thought of the Spin Doctors. I really liked those guys, and they just faded away. Little Miss Can't be Wrong might have been my favorite song from the 90s

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ilfOCbugyU&feature=fvwrel

Angel

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Nice pull jessey

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

And Angel does have the greatest RnR logo of all-time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

80's

Gary Moore
    Steve Earle
    Joe Ely

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

70's - Richard & Linda Thompson
    80's - Richard Thompson; John Hiatt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

70s - the faces

80's - the replacements

90's - NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL

this is a tough one, it's almost too early to tell...

00's - sufjan stevens (critical acclaim, yet not too many people are familiar)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i have to add jeff buckley to that list, by the way.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Artist from certain decades that do not get enough praise/recognition.:
    [QUOTE]i have to add jeff buckley to that list, by the way.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    I had "Grace" as one of my choices for album of the (90's) decade (we've agreed on Buckley in other threads, so I know we're both fans), but I wonder if Buckley is one of those artists that appealed to a smaller (sub) group of fans.  He got (and still gets) praise and recognition from that group, and maybe there's nothing wrong with not getting more (from the masses).  Not sure. 

Some musicians are perfectly fine, if not comfortable, having a niche, and don't care (or want?) wider recognition. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Artist from certain decades that do not get enough praise/recognition.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artist from certain decades that do not get enough praise/recognition. : I had "Grace" as one of my choices for album of the (90's) decade (we've agreed on Buckley in other threads, so I know we're both fans), but I wonder if Buckley is one of those artists that appealed to a smaller (sub) group of fans.  He got (and still gets) praise and recognition from that group, and maybe there's nothing wrong with not getting more (from the masses).  Not sure.  Some musicians are perfectly fine, if not comfortable, having a niche, and don't care (or want?) wider recognition. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]Have you ever listened to his father Tim Buckley? He released some truly great music in the late 60s and early 70s but died of an overdose of heroin, booze and downers in 1975.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Gary Moore
    Replacements
    10CC

Very nice choices.

"The Ledge" - great song by the Replacements , My favorite 10CC song- "Wall Street Shuffle."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Jeff buckly was on the verge of something big but died before he got there.  As far as his dad goes listen to "Once I Was" which I think was his best song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CckFYoYq8GI

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

60s: Ditto on Love - just amazing in so many ways. I'll add Moby Grape, Alexis Korner, John Mayall, and early Fleetwood Mac (also 70s: see "Bare Trees")

70s: James Gang - OK, Joe Walsh is hardly unknown, but this band is still overlooked, IMO. "Take A Look Around" is a lost classic deserving of radio play.
    Atlanta Rhythm Section - rarely mentioned among the greats of southern rock, these guys really knew how to play.
    Big Star - just don't hear enough about them to warrant how good they really were.

70s-80s: Wire - maybe the best punk band you've never heard of; their debut "Pink Flag" is sorely overlooked in the genre.

80s: The Psychedelic Furs - many great tracks beyond the few hits played on radio; (add Richard Butler's later brief project, Love Spit Love)

80s-90s: The The - always amazed at how few people know this band; "Mind Bomb" (w/ Johnny Marr) alone is a brilliant album; should have been much bigger than they were. 
    add: The Afghan Whigs, Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr., Melvins, Meat Puppets

90s: My Bloody Valentine - "Loveless" = sonic masterpiece, should be required listening for any grunge fan. 
    Lush, Ride and Catherine Wheel - more exquisite melodies and general shoegazer derring-do, especially the former with their haunting vocals.
    Urge Overkill - maybe a personal fetish, but I really liked them; poised for greatness but collapsed under the weight of their ambitions.

90s-00s: Luna - a direct decendant of the VU; dreamy, enchanting pop

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Another overlooked artist is Leonard Cohen, although he can't really be placed in a specific decade. Everybody Knows and Hallelujah are real masterpieces IMO. But his entire body of work is just ridiculous. See what happens when you bring up Jeff Buckley? I start thinking about obscure and semi-obscure singer-songwriters. Tongue out

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Leonard was inducted into the RnRHoF

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Add 90s-00s: Built To Spill, Ween, Supergrass

Aside: I found it interesting that few semed to know Arcade Fire before they won the grammy the other night for Album of the Year.  I've known about them since at least Neon Bible and read many glowing reviews the past few years.  Are they really that obscure to the "mainstream"...?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Another overlooked artist is Leonard Cohen, although he can't really be placed in a specific decade. Everybody Knows and Hallelujah are real masterpieces IMO. But his entire body of work is just ridiculous. See what happens when you bring up Jeff Buckley? I start thinking about obscure and semi-obscure singer-songwriters.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    carnie,
    I don't know much about Tim Buckley's music (mostly just know he was Jeff's father and also died (and shared) untimely death, sadly, just as Jeff did.

I'll listen to Jake's link for Tim Buckley for starters.  Tim seems to be a real heart breaker, that's for sure. 

I don't know enough about Leonard Cohen to know if he really lacked recognition ... his voice grates (does anyone like his voice? honestly?) and I wonder if he was popular with a more "fringe" audience.  ?  

I might be offbase, but I think of Leonard Cohen as being associated with the "art scene" and not just music.   Sort of like Allen Ginsberg (pretty much same generation) -- but I'd have to really look some of this up.   It's interesting.

You always seem to dig the older artists up!
    Smile
    ps Thanks for (finally) sending us some sunshine from the "City by the Bay"!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Matty - I really think the problem lies with radio programming. If you have regular FM radio and nothing else, then all you have to listen to are Pop and R&B stations. And of course the one or two Classic Rock stations. Even a band who finally broke through like Kings of Leon get minimal radio play except for the one breakthrough hit.

The way I see it, especially in the large cities, RnR has fallen behind Pop, R&B and Hip Hop.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The way I found out about Arcade Fire was that I was trying to look up some information on an indie group, the Suburbs (from Minneapolis) and Arcade Fire's album kept coming up, so I pursued them by default.   You have to figure that an album named "The Suburbs" is going to have some songs that have an axe to grind, you know.  

I have no idea if Arcade Fire has hit the airwaves of FNX, at the very least.  I do still hear emerging music on FNX, not regularly maybe, but it's there.  

Also, jessey, we have very decent college radio stations in Boston.   The problem with those stations is that they tend to have "programs" so you have to know the schedule and be available for the programs you like (the programs feature certain genres).  It all goes back to how we either try to learn about emerging music and how much of it was in our daily life pattern (such as the comfort of listening to the radio).

Some people read lots of music reviews.  Some read "Rolling Stone", "Q", "Spin" or other magazines, online or in print.