As of today, and off the top of your head

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

As of today, and off the top of your head

Name your top 10 (or 15 if you want to go for broke) favorite artists / the artists you're listening to the most often and/or any combination.  

Feel free to mix a band you've been listening to your entire life alongside a brand new artist, or a newly discovered artist. 

No need to over-think.  Right off the top of your head, okay?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: As of today, and off the top of your head

In no particular order:
    Stones
    Zeppelin
    Floyd
    Hendrix
    Who
    Janis Joplin
    Neil Young
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    ZZ Top
    Tom Petty
    J. Geils
    Clapton (and all his bands)
    Offspring
    Deep Purple
    War

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Ugh...two different questions:

The all-time favorites, like the novels you re-read every year as a source of constancy in an ever-changing world, OR the new-found classics which we already know will sustain us in the years ahead...?

Here's a cliff dive, inpo:

Led Zep
    Neil Young
    Pink Floyd
    Dead
    Stones
    MMJ
    Pixies
    Dylan
    Talking Heads
    Wilco
    The Clash
    Black Keys
    Traffic
    Radiohead
    Morphine
    Marley
    The Kinks
    Sonic Youth

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I don't have that much information on top of my head, so I borrowed from the crown, the temple and the occipital bone.

Neil Young
    Public Image Limited
    The Clash
    Deep Purple
    Rainbow
    Black Sabbath
    Stan Ridgway
    Warren Zevon
    Uriah Heep
    Graham Parker and The Rumour
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Eric Clapton
    Elvis Costello
    Devo
    Psychedlic Furs

....but ask me again in ten minutes and my list may be slightly different.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

As of today INPO:

Massive Attack
    Keane
    Pet Shop Boys
    Wilco
    The Magnetic Fields
    New Order
    Explosions in the Sky
    Loreena McKennitt 
    The Scorpions 
    Simon and Garfunkel
    The Who
    Original/vintage FWM
    The Pretenders

(@Matty: 'today' is the operative word; it's a moving target, some names are steadfast, some will come and go from your list.  Also, the only lists that are sanctioned on the forum are home-grown (not from critics or reader polls), so I figured it was okay to ask.  :D

Maybe the list will show a bit about current listening and how much it's in sync with long-standing favorites.   Yes, it's a little 'spaghetti and meatballs' in a way, but they often go together in the same bowl.   

All-time favorites -- do we necessarily listen to them?  Some people definitely do, but others?  Nostalgia can play tricks on the psyche.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Rush
    Boston
    Def Leppard
    The Who
    The Kinks
    The Stones
    Puddle of Mudd
    38 Special
    Foreigner
    CCR
    Steve Miller Band
    Foo Fighters
    AC/DC
    Lynyrd Skynyrd

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

As of today:

Luka Bloom

PJ Harvey
    Florence and the Machine
    Aimee Mann
    The Smith's
    Idlewild
    Loreena McKennitt
    Incubus
    The Verve
    Radiohead
    Pearl Jam
    Alice in Chains
    Hothouse Flowers
    Led Zep
    The Dead
    U2

RUSH
    Yes

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: As of today, and off the top of your head:
    [QUOTE]As of today INPO: Massive Attack Keane Pet Shop Boys Wilco The Magnetic Fields New Order Explosions in the Sky Loreena McKennitt  The Scorpions  Simon and Garfunkel The Who Original/vintage FWM The Pretenders (@Matty: 'today' is the operative word; it's a moving target, some names are steadfast, some will come and go from your list.  Also, the only lists that are sanctioned on the forum are home-grown (not from critics or reader polls), so I figured it was okay to ask.  :D Maybe the list will show a bit about current listening and how much it's in sync with long-standing favorites.   Yes, it's a little 'spaghetti and meatballs' in a way, but they often go together in the same bowl.    All-time favorites -- do we necessarily listen to them?  Some people definitely do, but others?  Nostalgia can play tricks on the psyche.  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

However, I believe in cognitive bias which pulls us in directions we're already comfortable with and follows somewhat natural derivations from same.  I would wager that a good number of choices that any of us put up are partly derivative of each other and therefore don't change as much or quickly as we think they do.

So, you're right.  In my case, I probably don't listen to Zeppelin as much as I used to.  But when I do, I can enjoy it just as much as I did then...enough so that I might gravitate to modern hard rock riff-meisters like MMJ or Black Keys.

Incidentally, I looked at both ipods after I posted my list, and the concentration of tracks-to-artists is pretty close to what I posted.  So I guess it's fairly accurate after all.  :P

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Metallica
    Zeppelin
    Sabbath
    Maiden
    Alice in Chains
    GnR
    Floyd
    Nirvana
    Skynyrd
    Neil Young
    AC/DC
    Eagles
    Beatles
    Doors
    Springsteen
    Huey Lewis and the News
    ^ just kidding

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Beatles-Who-Kinks-Hendrix-Led Zeppelin-Deep Purple-BOC-ELP-Robin Trower-Rory Gallagher-Tom Petty-Paul Simon-Steve Earle-Joe Bonamassa-The Odds

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In some semblance of order:
    (1) Beatles
    (2) Springsteen
    (3) Clash
    (4) Who
    (5) Replacements
    (6) U2
    (7) Stones
    (8) Nirvana
    (9) Pearl Jam
    (10) Foo Fighters
    (11) Warren Zevon
    (12) Jimi Hendrix
    (13) Living Colour
    (14) Pink Floyd
    (15) 10,000 Maniacs

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'll play.
    Honorable mention to Van Morrisson

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Great set of lists.   

Much better than any we'd find by a critic or a reader poll. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]John Prine Steve Earle Townes Van Zandt Lucinda Williams Guy Clark My Morning Jacket Zeppelin Stones Who Neil Young AC/DC Scorpians Judas Priest
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

One of these days, we need to do a thread on Lucinda Williams.  I've only glimpsed at her music, and saw her on Austin City Limits (online) and while I haven't quite caught the fever, she's growing on me.  

The Scorps for you, too?  Nice.  Thanks to the forum, I'm catching up for lost time witih them; classic rock at its finest. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I have to confess my list wasn't really off the top of my head.  My OCD just wouldn't permit that. Smile

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]I'll play. Jethro Burns Fats Domino Brian Setzer Hank Williams The Beatles Muddy Waters Clifton Chenier Stevie Ray Vaughn Albert Lee Frank Sinatra Honorable mention to  Van Morrisson
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    Hank Williams? You mean that annoying poster on the Sox board?
    Kidding ... Hank Sr. was a true visionary. His son, on the other hand ...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I have to confess my list wasn't really off the top of my head.  My OCD just wouldn't permit that.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I know; it's a lot more difficult for some of us than others.  Mental gymnastics.   But your list is very consistent with your general likes / dislikes / and comments.  I honestly would have thought this sort of exercise would be a breeze for you.  

No parachute next time.  :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The Who 
    The Beatles
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    Eric Clapton, including Cream, Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominoes.
    Moody Blues
    Dire Straits
    Meat Loaf
    Fleetwood Mac
    Pat Benatar
    Heart
    Queen
    Simon and Garfunkel
    Bob Seger
    The Kinks
    Tom Petty
    Jethro Tull
    Neil Young
    10,000 Maniacs
    Harry Nilsson
    Elton John

Sorry, couldn't stop at 15 and hated to stop where I did because there are plenty of others whom I feel should be on the list. 

I listed favorites, not necessarily whom I listen to the most or right now because I go through cycles. For example, I'm listening to a lot of Who right now but I hadn't listened to much of them in quite awhile.

I like when I don't listen to a favorite for awhile because when I get back to them, they seem fresh and I rediscover why I liked them in the first place.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

As of right this moment

Beatles
    The Who
    Led Zeppelin
    NY Dolls
    Howlin Wolf
    Bessie Smith
    Queen
    Cheap Trick
    Enuff Z' Nuff
    Def Leppard
    AIC
    Black Sabath (Ozzy Only)
    Kinks
    Yardbirds

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]As of right this moment Beatles The Who Led Zeppelin NY Dolls Howlin Wolf Bessie Smith Queen Cheap Trick Enuff Z' Nuff Def Leppard AIC Black Sabath (Ozzy Only) Kinks Yardbirds
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Where have you been?   I got worried for a few seconds, I browsed your list so fast, I didn't see the Beatles at the top.   If they weren't there, I'd know something was really wrong.  :P  (glad that's not the case) 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: As of today, and off the top of your head : I would wager that a good number of choices that any of us put up are partly derivative of each other and therefore don't change as much or quickly as we think they do. So, you're right.  In my case, I probably don't listen to Zeppelin as much as I used to.  But when I do, I can enjoy it just as much as I did then...enough so that I might gravitate to modern hard rock riff-meisters like MMJ or Black Keys. Incidentally, I looked at both ipods after I posted my list, and the concentration of tracks-to-artists is pretty close to what I posted.  So I guess it's fairly accurate after all.  :P
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I'm down with the premise that there's a strain of consistency in likes and dislikes; music is a type of comfort food, afterall, and this is why it's so easy to return to the favorites, no matter how far back they go.   

That's why the steadfast, highest place holders never change, perthaps; we all have a "middle of the spectrum" music grouping that we truly like, but that music will never usurp the top tier, although the top tier will hopefully grow over time.  

I think I put a lot of emphasis on my current listening habits in my list -- it wasn't easy -- but I like identifying myself with my current listening habits, more than with my standby favorites, mostly because I have been experiencing a lot of happiness and inspiration from my new music discoveries, especially if my discovery is actually a band that's been kicking around for a while (ie, Wilco).

If the list, checked against the Ipod, is consistent, then maybe there was something to be said for blending favorites with current listening habits.   Not bad.  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: As of today, and off the top of your head : Hank Williams? You mean that annoying poster on the Sox board? Kidding ... Hank Sr. was a true visionary. His son, on the other hand ...
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]I asked him one time why he loved Hank and he started talking about Bocephus.Laughing