As promised for mojo- an Alice Cooper related thread.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

As promised for mojo- an Alice Cooper related thread.

Alice Cooper was once known as Vincent Furnier. Not surprising he changed his name to Alice as the real name is very unRockstar sounding.

"She asked me why the singer's name was Alice. I said 'listen , baby , you really wouldn't understand.'"...well I understood.

But Vincent was one of a long list of blues/rock artists who used stage names and also many who had alternate personalities.

Top of the list is David Bowie who was really David Jones, who became Ziggy Stardust then became the Thin White Duke.

Jim Morrison had two nicknames for himself, Mr. Mojo rising ( An anagram of his name ( surely a favorite of our mr.mojo). And The Lizard King....a personal favorite of mine.

Neil Young uses the name Bernard Shakey in film credits.

Mick and Keith are also known as the Glimmer Twins.

Stevie Nicks was 'the Welsh Witch' as a name for her publishing company.

Nick Lowe was known as 'The Jesus of Cool.'

Ringo Star was origonally Richard Starkey
    Bo Diddley was Ellis McDaniel
    Muddy Waters was McKinley Morganfield
    Johnny Rotten was Johnny Lydon and was known by that name after the Sex Pistols called it quits.
    Elton John was Reginald Dwight
    Sting was Gordon Sumner
    John Mellancamp became John Cougar, then John Cougar Mellencamp then finally John Mellencamp.
    Bob Dylan was Robert Zimmerman, refers to himself as 'Napolean in Rags' or the 'Mystery Tramp.'
    B.B.King was Riley B. King (B.B. was for blues boy).
    Iggy Pop was James Osterberg
    It is reported that The Edge was named David Howell Evans. I believe this to be correct, but not 100% sure.
    Bono was Paul David Hewson.
    Elvis Costello was Delclan McManus.
    Howlin' Wolf was Chester Burnett.
    Donald Roeser of Blue Oyster Cult became Buck Dharma.
    Slash was Saul Hudson.

Whew! That's a lot of alter egos and changed names.

I took the name ZILLAGOD as a log on when I first checked out these forums. It was a spur of the moment decision, but I am happy with it.

I think so many of these stage names are real cool, 'Howlin' Wolf' is a great one. Anyone care to expand on this? Perhaps some that I forgot. Maybe you have a good stage name you would use?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: As promised for mojo- an Alice Cooper related thread.

Alice Cooper is not one of my favorite bands, but they recorded a song so great that I'm glad they exist. "School's Out" is one of my all time favorite rock anthems.

Sonny Boy Williamson II was Rice Miller

Dr. John is Malcolm John "Mac" Rebbenack, Jr.

T-Bone Walker was Aaron Thibeaux Walker
    Gene Vincent was Vincent Eugene Craddock

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Nicki Sixx's name is Frank

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

p.h. smith is my stage name.

it's all about the anonymity, baby

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: As promised for mojo- an Alice Cooper related thread.:
    [QUOTE]p.h. smith is my stage name. it's all about the anonymity, baby
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Here's how we measure p.h., smith:

You started as an acidic child , you became more alkaline as you got older.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Fried Agony.

Remember?  :D

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Fried Agony. Remember?  :D
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

That was one for the record books.

Kind of forgot about it, actually.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well . . .  he's nowhere near as famous as most of the people you mentioned, but Tonio K -- who wrote songs for artists as varied as Al Green, Bonnie Rait and Wynona Judd -- was origianlly Steve Krikorkian . . .

and he also penned my all-time favorite anti-love song, H-A-T-R-E-D, which included amongst its raging misogyny, this wonderful sentiment:

I wish I was as mellow as, for instance, Jackson Browne
    But Fountain of Sorrow my @ss motherf*cker
    I hope you wind up in the ground

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I've been reading and following this thread hoping it would evolve into an actual Alice Cooper discussion.It didn't really happen,so I'll say a couple of things and let the thread continue its course.
        I've always been a huge Alice Cooper fan.He first signed with Straight records(which was owned by Frank Zappa)in 1969.Alice incorporated theatrics to match the shock rock he was performing.He hung himself,had his head chopped off with a guillotine,was electrocuted in an electric chair and used a Boa Constrictor on stage.His look was inspired by the movie "Whatever happened to Baby Jane" with Bette Davis.If you've seen the movie,you'll remember her losing her mind and putting on excessive make up and eye shadow to the point of grotesqueness.I guess you could say he had "Bette Davis eyes".
       His first big hit was "I'm Eighteen" off his third album "Love it to death".He then got a contract with Warner Brothers.His next album "Killer" gave us such hits as "Under my wheels" and "Be my lover".His fifth album may have been his most well known,which was "School's out".His sixth,and my personal favorite was "Billion Dollars Babies" came out in 1973.He had several albums after that like "Trash,Poison,Muscle of love and Welcome to my nightmare".
      Alice is an avid golfer and has a syndicated radio show called "Alice at night".He is also credited for one of the Doors most famous lines in the song.He had been staying at a friends house where a lot rock stars came to party.He walked into a room and Jim Morrison was sitting there and said "Hey Alice,what's going on?'.Alice replied"Not much Jim.I just woke up this morning and got myself a beer". Morrison scribbled it down and it ended up in the song"Roadhouse Blues".
      My rant is over,although I'm supplying a couple of links to songs if anyone is interested in them.You may now continue with the thread.Thank you for your time.

Tina Turner- formerly Anna Mae Bullock

Billion dollar babies
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z_O0hUMIWk

Under my wheels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaNNJUhVdW8&feature=related

Gullotine
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h80sMzUdkZc&feature=related

Schools Out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_I4ylzbrTE&feature=related

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think the unheralded masterpiece of Alice Cooper is 'Halo of Flies' on the Killer album.

For some reason it irks me that he's such a good golfer...it's like, some guys have all the luck. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Alice Cooper was originally the band's name. Mr. Furnier later took it as his own name. Makes me think of Jethro Tull. I wonder how many people have thought that this was Ian Anderson's name?

I never took Alice Cooper at face value, always thought they were putting us on to some degree. In fact, much of shock rock and metal is hard to take seriously. I always found Alice Cooper more funny than scary or shocking.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

A fun fact:Mr. Furnier took the band and his name from a character on the "Mayberry RFD" television series called Alice Cooper.The part was played by Alice Ghostley who was also portrayed the befuddled Esmerelda on the show "Bewitched".

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Bob Dylan was Robert Zimmerman, refers to himself as 'Napolean in Rags' or the 'Mystery Tramp.' ------------------------------ And to Don McClean, he was, The Jester (American Pie)
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Excellent one Greg.

I had a video cassette called 'Alice Cooper Welcome to my Nightmare-Live' that I bought at a yardsale back in the 90's( it was really cheap), last year I got myself one of those neat DVD recorders that allow to save your old videocassettes to DVD. I transferred this great live video over and actually watched it for the first time in like, maybe 15 years. I was blown away by how talented Alice's lead guitar player Dick Wagner was. There is a section where they introduce the band and Wagner really does a ridiculously awesome solo. I've read where Orianthi, this wicked sexy female guitarist also plays or has played with Alice. If you've never seen her play, you are really missing something. The Sexiest guitar player since Poison Ivy of the Cramps.

Orianthi:

Poison Ivy:

Poison Ivy also fits in nicely with our "changed names" theme. Poison Ivy's real name - Kristy Wallace. Her bandmate Lux Interior was Eric Purkhiser.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: As promised for mojo- an Alice Cooper related thread. : Really? Hah. Always thought that would've been one of his... Alice sang on "The Garden" on G n' R's Use Your Illusion I.  The deeper voice.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

A couple of other fun facts about Roadhouse Blues:
    Lonnie Mack played bass on the song because the Doors didn't have a bass player
    John Sebastian played the harmonica.

Here's a pretty good Alice Cooper and Slash song called "Vengeance is mine":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNXRpDc_RRA

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Alice Cooper was originally the band's name. Mr. Furnier later took it as his own name. Makes me think of Jethro Tull. I wonder how many people have thought that this was Ian Anderson's name? I never took Alice Cooper at face value, always thought they were putting us on to some degree. In fact, much of shock rock and metal is hard to take seriously. I always found Alice Cooper more funny than scary or shocking.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

I remember when I was about 16 in high school and I started listening more to Album Rock stations and I was hearing a bunch of Jethro Tull songs and liking them. So the next time I was in a record store, I was going to look for some Tull albums and I looked under T (for Tull) thinking it was his last name.

After not finding anything, something made me look under J. Then looking at the credits was when I figured out that Jethro Tull was a band, not a person.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Sorry if I missed it but,

Joan Jett was born Joan Marie Larkin.
    Lita Ford was born Carmelita Rossana Ford.
    Tre Cool was born Frank Edwin Wright III, not a very punk name that.

Old School,

Dean Martin, Dino Paul Crocetti

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

And apparently, Bob Mould was born Bob Mould.

He should have hooked up a duo with someone who used a stage name of Milldew (sic).  Or a nasty power trio, with Rott.