Bands Or Artists You Like Due to "Aesthetic" Appeal

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Bands Or Artists You Like Due to

To me, it's simple:

I LOVE bands with an obviously gimmick stage look (Mummies, Invisible Men, Village People, Neanderthals, Go-Nuts, etc.)

And I LOVE far more bands without stage clothes (Lyres, Pixies, Husker Du, Minutemen, many more).

But I despise anything inbetween with very few exceptions.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Martina McBride is a great country singer, and yes she is gorgeous.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Blondie, I guess, back in the day.

My interest in Fergie blossomed when I saw her sing Gimme Shelter with Mick on one of the RRHF concerts.  She sounded great and looked incredible. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to NedNiederlander's comment:

So, you're asexual and probably shouldn't have responded to this thread. Super.

Me, Ned?   Tell me:  do you think that, say, Kim Deal, on stage in street clothes, a brillliant voice, a great songwriter, a proper, intelligent woman that isn't just a great musician but a great songwriter.....is less or more attractive than a song credit buying, leather miniskirted Beyonce on stage, spreadeagled in front of 2 billion people? I think it's shamefully embarrassing that people think that it's sexy, or cool to forget your brain, or heart...but look at my genitals!....it's pathetic.....it's the town centre of loserville.  To each its own, though...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Color me asexual too. When it comes to music, I use my ears. Period. Don't give a crap what anyone looks like. Doesn't turn me on or off to their music. I'm a damned purist to the extreme. Now if a performer I like also pleases my eyes, I won't complain. But I absolutely don't like anyone based solely on physical attraction.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

P.S. I think Howlin' Wolf was beautiful.

-Elvis Presley

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think aesthetic appeal has something to do with my choosing a small amount of the CDs in my collection. That , and sometimes the name is just too cool to ignore.

They say you can't judge a book by it's cover. I have spent hours and hours in bookstores' and if you don't know anything about the author of the book, what do you do?...you read the backcover....you are almost always drawn in my a front cover that has great artwork on it ( at least I am).

This is also true with many Alternative groups I "discovered" back in the 80's.You had damn little chance of hearing much by Too Much Joy , The Dead Kennedys or The Tragically Hip on the radio. You went to the record store , saw an interesting looking CD ( in my case 100s of interesting looking CDs) and you decided by the album title, the artwork and the song titles....and apperance of the group , if there was a photo on the CD front or back. Mostly I would buy stuff that I had heard on radio, but some bands just never got airplay, I had read a little about them, so I gave them a shot....most times worth it , sometmes not.

For example, I had mentioned on The Cramps related thread that I bought a CD by strictly on their appearance. Because I thought,sexual, sci-fi, horror movie themes, sexy chick guitar player, weird names, ...how can I go wrong here?

"Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket."- George Orwell

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

For example, I had mentioned on The Cramps related thread that I bought a CD by strictly on their appearance. Because I thought,sexual, sci-fi, horror movie themes, sexy chick guitar player, weird names, ...how can I go wrong here?

Totally cracking up.  Nice job.   Glad someone has a sense of humor around here, and knows how to lighten up.  =)    

Gee, I think some people are taking this thread waaaaay too seriously.   The OP commented on a singer whose music he doesn't even know --- that he just appreciates the person as eye candy.   What's wrong with that?    Even if you did get drawn into a band b/c one or more of the musicians were or are hot, what's wrong with that?   That's part of the world of entertainment.   Wow, time to lighten up.    

As for buying a CD b/c of the cover, I can completely relate.   I have (and would continue to) buy any CD by Loreena McKennitt without ever hearing the CD because the cover art is so astonishing, each and every time.  I remember buying "Grace" (Jeff Buckley) based on the cover of the CD, even though I'd only heard one song; the cover photo was enough.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Ironically, I was just listening to my Urge Overkill CDs (yes, plural) the other day.

Now here's a band that started like every other mopey post-punk act until they started dressing and acting like full-blown rock stars...BEFORE they had even "made it".  To that end, their behavior really annoyed many of their brethren indie acts in Chicago and gave them a reputation as rank posers, which they kind of were. (They even coined the term "guyville", used more famously by Liz Phair.)

And yet to me, their music still sounds of a piece with some of the best acts of the early-to-mid 90s.  They had the classic rock guitar sound nailed, imaginatively dark lyrics and a good sense of their idols.  Their sophomore major label LP, Exit The Dragon, today sounds even more original in hindsight, though it would be their last significant work until very recently.

At the time, their aesthetic and music fit handsomely, although it was the latter (along with ego) that doomed them to B-level status.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

BTW, as to the thread topic:

I used to love Liz Phair - music and image - back in the 90s.  Even her stagefright was a weird draw for me.  But her more recent music has left me kind of flat.  That said, she's still high upon my dream rock girl list...a fact employed for endless teasing by my wife.

(Take one look at her RS cover from '94 and tell me if you agree.  This photo was humourously parodied by Jon Spencer some time later.)

Sheryl Crow is another who's had a handful of good tunes (i.e. Globe Sessions) but lately seems to be mailing it in.  So, I'll join the chauvi-consensus on her...um, aesthetics.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to NedNiederlander's comment:

Ok, so this might fall into the category of kind of a guilty pleasure discussion, but we all can admit this exists.

At least I can..

Name a band or artist you like, more so because someone in it, in particular the leader is hot and it just lures you in, making you like the music a lot more than you normally would for that genre:

1. Sherly Crow - Thought she was a gimmick back in 1994 because she sang back up for MJ and Don Henley, but she can write a bit and she's VERY easy on the eyes.

2. Natalie Merchant - Underrated, IMO, normally the kind of music I might not lean towards, but there was always something about her in that hippie kind of way that made the 10,000 Maniacs or her solo material sound better.  I can admit it.

3. Martina McBride - I am not even sure I know any of her songs, but christ is she cute.

I agree with Natalie Merchant (10,000 Maniacs) and Martina McBride, not so much because they curte or the hippie thing or anything like that, but because in both cases their voices have sucked me in. Merchant, especially in her 10,000 Maniacs days, did that to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Color me asexual too. When it comes to music, I use my ears. Period. Don't give a crap what anyone looks like. Doesn't turn me on or off to their music. I'm a damned purist to the extreme. Now if a performer I like also pleases my eyes, I won't complain. But I absolutely don't like anyone based solely on physical attraction.

-Elvis Presley

To add to my above comment, I'm probably the same. As a guy, I might appreciate when someone like Britney Spears is prancing around half dressed, but I won't listen to the music because of it. More than likely, I'll turn down the volume, watch her for a bit then move on.

The closest out there that might fall into liking the artist because of looks or image might be Taylor Swift. But I think it has more to do in that I appreciate her because she seems to focus on the music, she plays guitar and writes her own songs. She has a decent voice, although it's not a powerful voice.

I respect her because she seems to be the anti-Miley Cyrus. So I might listen to a song of hers if I come across it simply because of that, but I don't go searching for her stuff, nor do I own any of it because overall, I'm really not into her music.

Another plus in her favor was the stuff I came across of her performing with Def Leppard.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

[QUOTE]

Totally cracking up.  Nice job.   Glad someone has a sense of humor around here, and knows how to lighten up.  =)    

Gee, I think some people are taking this thread waaaaay too seriously.   The OP commented on a singer whose music he doesn't even know --- that he just appreciates the person as eye candy.   What's wrong with that?    Even if you did get drawn into a band b/c one or more of the musicians were or are hot, what's wrong with that?   That's part of the world of entertainment.   Wow, time to lighten up.    

As for buying a CD b/c of the cover, I can completely relate.   I have (and would continue to) buy any CD by Loreena McKennitt without ever hearing the CD because the cover art is so astonishing, each and every time.  I remember buying "Grace" (Jeff Buckley) based on the cover of the CD, even though I'd only heard one song; the cover photo was enough.  

[/QUOTE]

The OP stated that the performers eye appeal made you like the music more than you would.

"Name a band or artist you like, more so because someone in it, in particular the leader is hot and it just lures you in, making you like the music a lot more than you normally would for that genre"

I probably shouldn't have participated here because it really hasn't happened for me. I only joined in after seeing Sonics post and the OP's response to that. If this was purely about eye candy, I could list a bunch of them. But it was also related to enjoying music you might not usually. I surely would admit that. No big deal. I'm not opposed to it. Sometimes an honest opinion can appear humorless.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The OP stated that the performers eye appeal made you like the musicmore than you would.

"Name a band or artist you like, more so because someone in it, in particular the leader is hot and it just lures you in, making you like the music a lot more than you normally would for that genre"

I probably shouldn't have participated here because it really hasn't happened for me. I only joined in after seeing Sonics post and the OP's response to that. If this was purely about eye candy, I could list a bunch of them. But it was also related to enjoying music you might not usually. I surely would admit that. No big deal. I'm not opposed to it. Sometimes an honest opinion can appear humorless.

[/QUOTE]

No problem, you're right re: the intent, and I'm the one who loosened up the intent b/c I didn't take it seriously.    With the Martina McBride comment (he does not even know any of her songs), Russ(the OP)  put a different spin on the thread himself.

If this were about athletes, my list would be pretty hefty.   I have gotten interested (and more interested) in sports b/c some athletes have such eye candy appeal.   Frankly, when Tom Brady was a bit younger and "all that" around here, I not only read a book he said he had read (!), I also remembered what music he liked, after reading about it in an interview.  

I loved Bronson Arroyo when he was on the Red Sox, and was crushed when he was traded.  I thought that was an unforgivable mistake.   :D   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Alright, so it's Chris Cornell for me.   I admit without shame that I would not have followed his career / band had it not been for his good looks.    Also, the Roland Brothers (Ted and Dean) of Collective Soul are not half bad.   

I would not have gotten into Mazzy Star the way I did had it not been for someone telling me I reminded him of Hope Sandoval.  I had to find out about this band, you know, after hearing that.  It was obviously a ruse  (hahaha - but, hey, why argue the point?), but regardless, I got very into Mazzy Star and never quite forgot that Sandoval is my soul sister.  :)

"Just as kindness knows no shame, know through all your joy and pain, that I'll be loving you always."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

No problem, you're right re: the intent, and I'm the one who loosened up the intent b/c I didn't take it seriously.    With the Martina McBride comment (he does not even know any of her songs), Russ(the OP)  put a different spin on the thread himself.

If this were about athletes, my list would be pretty hefty.   I have gotten interested (and more interested) in sports b/c some athletes have such eye candy appeal.   Frankly, when Tom Brady was a bit younger and "all that" around here, I not only read a book he said he had read (!), I also remembered what music he liked, after reading about it in an interview.  

I loved Bronson Arroyo when he was on the Red Sox, and was crushed when he was traded.  I thought that was an unforgivable mistake.   :D   

There is a woman at work who loved Arroyo too. She still talks about him to this day. So do I, but only because they sure could have used him on the Sox staff since that trade. Not only was he a sex symbol, but he has been a very durable pitcher and the Sox have dealt with many injuries to pitchers since he left. And all they got for him was Wily Mo Pena, a colossal bust. One of Theo Epsteins' worst trades ever. Oops, this is the music forum. Cool

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Alright, so it's Chris Cornell for me.   I admit without shame that I would not have followed his career / band had it not been for his good looks.    Also, the Roland Brothers (Ted and Dean) of Collective Soul are not half bad.   

I would not have gotten into Mazzy Star the way I did had it not been for someone telling me I reminded him of Hope Sandoval.  I had to find out about this band, you know, after hearing that.  It was obviously a ruse  (hahaha - but, hey, why argue the point?), but regardless, I got very into Mazzy Star and never quite forgot that Sandoval is my soul sister.  :)

"Just as kindness knows no shame, know through all your joy and pain, that I'll be loving you always."

It's funny, one of the things I was really looking forward to last year at Coachella was seeing Sandoval. Well, it rained while they performed, and she kept hiding herself behind a speaker and kind of just stood there the whole time.  I know she was there, because I heard her, but never really saw her. To be honest, i was kind of dissapointed by their performance.

Looks never really moved me either way to purchase an album, but I have to admit when Taylor Swift or Faith Hill comes across the TV while I am flipping channels,  I do linger a little longer than I should.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

FYI...

Ed Roland is playing with his side group the Sweet Tea Project up at Salisbury Beach in the near future...

...provided his music still moves you, of course.  :P

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Also, the Roland Brothers (Ted and Dean) of Collective Soul are not half bad.   

The Roland Brothers are so good-looking that I think even most guys are impressed with how good-looking they are. 

A macho guy would phrase it like this though: 'Man, if I looked like that, the women I could get.'