Beatles night on American Idol

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThinkSnow99. Show ThinkSnow99's posts

Beatles night on American Idol

Anyone watch the latest batch of pop star wannabees singing Beatles tunes last night?  Did you like it, or do you find it blasphemous?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: Beatles night on American Idol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Ar79f8aN8

Why mess with perfection?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I don't watch American Idol, but it seems to me that a lot of Beatles' songs could be considered what a previous generation would have called "standards." I don't think it's any kind of rap on the Beatles' legacy to have a bunch of marginally-talented hopefuls hacking away at their songs in some contrived, overblown version of Community Auditions (if you remember that). It's a tribute, and should be recognized as such . . .  even if it might make your skin crawl a little.

Cool

I have no doubt that Sammy Cahn gets dizzy rolling over in his grave at the incessant butchery of his music . . .   but it's a pleasant kind of dizzy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

In Response to Re: Beatles night on American Idol:
    [QUOTE]I don't watch American Idol , but it seems to me that a lot of Beatles' songs could be considered what a previous generation would have called "standards." I don't think it's any kind of rap on the Beatles' legacy to have a bunch of marginally-talented hopefuls hacking away at their songs in some contrived, overblown version of Community Auditions (if you remember that). It's a tribute, and should be recognized as such . . .  even if it might make your skin crawl a little. I have no doubt that Sammy Cahn gets dizzy rolling over in his grave at the incessant butchery of his music . . .   but it's a pleasant kind of dizzy.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Are you stalking me .... I have called Idol that for years.....

"Star of the day, who will it be?...Your vote may hold the key. It's up to
    you. Tell us who will be the star of the day."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I'm a music lover.  As such, I refuse to watch American Idol.  (to me, it's all the awkwardness of karaoke without the scorpion bowls and mai tais....)

If that makes me a snob, then so be it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

ThinkSnow,
    You must not have gotten the memo.   We don't discuss American Idol here.  That's for the TV forum.   American Idol is not about music; it's just a TV show. 
    Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I don't watch American Idol , but it seems to me that a lot of Beatles' songs could be considered what a previous generation would have called "standards." I don't think it's any kind of rap on the Beatles' legacy to have a bunch of marginally-talented hopefuls hacking away at their songs in some contrived, overblown version of Community Auditions (if you remember that). It's a tribute, and should be recognized as such . . .  even if it might make your skin crawl a little.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]
    p-mike,
    Community Auditions has risen from the ashes, apparently.   The niece of a former co-worker was on it, and a high school student who was in one of my yoga classes was, too!!  I was told about it, and began watching once in a while.  When I saw this kid from my yoga class, I thought I was seeing things!  It was so funny to recognize someone I know from "real life" on TV like that, and he was damn good!  Next time I saw him at the gym, after his appearance, I told him how good I thought he was, and he looked thrilled that someone had actually watched the show the night of his performance! 

Smile

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThinkSnow99. Show ThinkSnow99's posts

[QUOTE]ThinkSnow, You must not have gotten the memo.   We don't discuss American Idol here.  That's for the TV forum.   American Idol is not about music; it's just a TV show. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Got it.  I will remember that in the future.  I know a lot of Beatles fans hang out on this board, so I just was hoping for some good old fashioned pop culture and American Idol bashing.  I think it worked.

As for me, my wife watches it and I usually do something else but the Beatles theme sucked me in.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beatles night on American Idol : Got it.  I will remember that in the future.  I know a lot of Beatles fans hang out on this board, so I just was hoping for some good old fashioned pop culture and American Idol bashing.  I think it worked. As for me, my wife watches it and I usually do something else but the Beatles theme sucked me in.
    Posted by ThinkSnow99[/QUOTE]
    Hope you could see I was just kidding with you (for the mostpart)!
     Smile
    Our resident Beatles expert and Beatles fanatic doesn't seem to be around (yet) today.   Where are you, jessey??

When he gets here, you might get the bashing you were expecting!

We've had some of these tv/music threads before, and it's all in good fun.  The most disturbing thing about AI (among other things)  is that it presents the idea that "talent" can be found through the process of elimination, with an ultimate winner.   All this really means is that the "winner" is the person who is the last one standing in the competition.  That's it.  Whether that person has any true musical talent is another story entirely.  Just my 2 cents.  

Anyhow, stay tuned for jessey's input, he'll be here at some point.
    Smile

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I saw the commercials for this and had to refrain from making a mad dash to the bathroom bowl to lose my lunch.

Beatles songs have been covered by everyone from Ray Charles to Tom Jones to Aerosmith.

This is kind of like making a Batman movie with Mr. Potato head as the enemy instead of the Joker.

However , at least the people with true talent , like Elton John and Ray Charles actually made something decent out if it.

I will cry blasphemy if and when a contestant on this miserable no-talent show tries to cover 'Crazy Train' , 'Back in Black' or 'Smoke on the Water'...please tell me this hasn't happened yet!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i consider myself somewhat of a beatles historian (and snob, unfortunately), but i really don't see this as such a bad idea. if anything, how well or poorly a contestant sings a beatles song would be a very good judge of talent. almost regardless of which song, they are (supposed to be) sung with a lot of raw emotion...a sort of bouncy personality, or a reflective and contemplative delivery. the ability to accurately portray a beatles song should be a dealbreaker.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beatles night on American Idol : Hope you could see I was just kidding with you (for the mostpart)!   Our resident Beatles expert and Beatles fanatic doesn't seem to be around (yet) today.   Where are you, jessey?? When he gets here, you might get the bashing you were expecting! We've had some of these tv/music threads before, and it's all in good fun.  The most disturbing thing about AI (among other things)  is that it presents the idea that "talent" can be found through the process of elimination, with an ultimate winner.   All this really means is that the "winner" is the person who is the last one standing in the competition.  That's it.  Whether that person has any true musical talent is another story entirely.  Just my 2 cents.   Anyhow, stay tuned for jessey's input, he'll be here at some point.

Vacation request

posted at 2/24/2011 8:16 AM EST
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=2a429a5079a6fbebb4a57ae934fef05b&plckUserId=2a429a5079a6fbebb4a57ae934fef05b">
    First: 6/15/2007
    Last: 2/24/2011
    Hey gang,

S.T. is here and I am heading down there tomorrow. Unfortunately, my home is in Pt. St, Lucie, which means the NY Mets. Now that is boring.

Anyway, just wanted to put in my vacation request.

I am wishing you all a great week.
    You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.

I am a NY Yankee fan

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Tcal, thanks.  Good to know jessey is ok.  I'm sure he'll have fun.

In the meantime, seems we have a Beatles historian here (I'm a total geek and love historians of any kind), so we're in good shape. 

Smile

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Hey Gang,

FYI - I am heading to Florida tomorrow AM. I have had a enough of Winter.

As for A.I. and the Beatles, I think it is a good thing. (Did I actually just say that?) It will expose the next generation to the genius of music and the genius that is the Beatles. Now I doubt any contestant is going to sing Strawberry Fields, I'm Only Sleeping or Baby You're a Rich Man, and I am grateful for that. But the Beatles first 4 albums were pure Pop masterpieces and I can see why a show like this would want to see how some kid does with it. It would be a good test of vocal talent. And just maybe, some audience kid will hear some Justin Dribbler wannabe sing Yesterday and think that they need to further explore that band which created such a simple ode to lost love. And that is always good. I have a feeling that Tyler's presence on the show had something to do with it. The Beatles are the one and only band whom kids who were born 25 years after they broke up talk about and listen to.

I remember the first time I heard that Sinatra had recorded a version of Something. I thought I was going to be ill. Then I heard it and Nelson Riddle's arrangement and Sinara's articulation and I was pretty impressed. I didn't love it, but I wasn' upset by it. I figured, if Sinatra wanted to record it, well that is pretty good proof on the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsTh_kCa7Rs

Now before you all keel over from this comment, please know that there is a part of me that needs to go find Ryan Seacrest and beat the living sh*t out of him. Tyler as well. There is a part of me that believes that this is blasphemy. And that no one has the right to destroy what is perfect. I am so grateful that I did not know about this or had a chance to be tempted to watch any part of it. I think I might not have been so calm discussing it.

I believe A.I. allowed contestants to sing Queen songs a few years back. I knew about this ahead of time and actually watched some of the performances. I thought I was going to be livid, but after watching some of these karaoke singers try and pull off Freddie, well, you just had to laugh.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]Tcal, thanks.  Good to know jessey is ok.  I'm sure he'll have fun. In the meantime, seems we have a Beatles historian here (I'm a total geek and love historians of any kind), so we're in good shape. 

i know it's weird because i was born 6 years after lennon died, but ever since i could read i have been fascinated with everything about them and have read everything i could ever get my hands on. right now i'm posting between working and reading one that just came out (FAB: an intimate life of paul mccartney).  only about a quarter of the way through but there is some genuine insight in it...and i really like the unbiased approach the author (howard sounes) is taking to it. paul comes off like a real jerk sometimes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I heard Billy Joel asked if he were offended by his music being turned into elevator music and played as "easy listening" around the world.  He emphatically responded that it was an honor to have people create new renditions of his music and enjoy it from here to Timbuktu even if it's in elevators.

Similarly, I think the Beatles music, talent, and success that transcends generations makes the Americal Idol performances nothing but a sincere tribute even they don't necessarily do the music justice (I didnt' see it).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beatles night on American Idol : i know it's weird because i was born 6 years after lennon died, but ever since i could read i have been fascinated with everything about them and have read everything i could ever get my hands on. right now i'm posting between working and reading one that just came out (FAB: an intimate life of paul mccartney).  only about a quarter of the way through but there is some genuine insight in it...and i really like the unbiased approach the author (howard sounes) is taking to it. paul comes off like a real jerk sometimes.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    Actually, it isn't weird at all.  Many historians (seriously) are experts of what came before them.  It's not as though the writers and historians on Abraham Lincoln were alive when he was living, you know!  That's just one example.  And I've hung out with lots of people who are history buffs, due to a sector of my profession, so I know lots and lots of geeks who like "old stuff" and who love history.  You're an old soul, through and through. 
    Smile

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beatles night on American Idol : Actually, it isn't weird at all.  Many historians (seriously) are experts of what came before them.  It's not as though the writers and historians on Abraham Lincoln were alive when he was living, you know!  That's just one example.  And I've hung out with lots of people who are history buffs, due to a sector of my profession, so I know lots and lots of geeks who like "old stuff" and who love history.  You're an old soul, through and through. 

well, that makes me feel a bit better. thanks (yoga)friend! Cool

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I don't watch American Idol , but it seems to me that a lot of Beatles' songs could be considered what a previous generation would have called "standards." I don't think it's any kind of rap on the Beatles' legacy to have a bunch of marginally-talented hopefuls hacking away at their songs in some contrived, overblown version of Community Auditions (if you remember that). It's a tribute, and should be recognized as such . . .  even if it might make your skin crawl a little. I have no doubt that Sammy Cahn gets dizzy rolling over in his grave at the incessant butchery of his music . . .   but it's a pleasant kind of dizzy.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]And here I was thinking that I must be the only person in America that's never watched American Idol. Laughing