Best Foreign Groups Not From England

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Best Foreign Groups Not From England

I don't know if this has ever been a topic, but I thought of it recently while listening to the Scorpions. So I'll put it out there. It can be rock or pop.

I'll start with these five:

Scorpions -- Germany

AC/DC -- Australia

U2 -- Ireland

ABBA -- Sweden

Roxette -- Sweden

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Best Foreign Groups Not From England

I'm going to guess that you don't want to include Canada,otherwise I could add plenty more.

Mexico - Santana

Netherlands - Golden Earring,Shocking Blue (Venus)

Ireland - Thin Lizzy,Boomtown Rats

Sweden - Europe 

Jamaica - Bob Marley

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Canada - Neil Young and many members of The Band

Japan - Loudness

Brazil - Sepultura

Sweden - Yngwe Malmsteen

Germany - Accept

Norwary - TNT

Denmark - King Diamond

France - Telephone

Switzerland - Krokus (if I don't list them, my wife will kill me)

and last but not least

Italy - Necrodeath

Hard core & thrash metal to this day still rule outside of the U.S.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

I'm going to guess that you don't want to include Canada,otherwise I could add plenty more.

Mexico - Santana

Sweden - Europe 

Jamaica - Bob Marley

Interesting list. I knew Thin Lizzy was Irish but not Boomtown Rats. Never knew Golden Earring was Netherlands (interesting) and had no idea Europe was from Sweden. 

You can add Canadian bands.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

Japan - Loudness

Brazil - Sepultura

Sweden - Yngwe Malmsteen

Germany - Accept

Norwary - TNT

Denmark - King Diamond

France - Telephone

and last but not least

Italy - Necrodeath

EGADS -- Other than your Canadiens and Krokus, I've never heard of any of the rest.

You didn't read the title. I said "BEST." (Just kidding -- LOL).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Canada - Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Rush, Arcade Fire, et al... too many to mention

Netherlands - Focus

Germany - Can

New Zealand - Split Enz / Finn Bros.

France - Air; Gong (a recent discovery for me...interesting prog band)

Australia - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Hoodoo Gurus, Powderfinger

Scotland - Jesus And Mary Chain, Primal Scream, Cocteau Twins, Teenage Fanclub

Wales - Super Furry Animals, Manic Street Preachers, The Joy Formidable, The Alarm

Ireland - My Bloody Valentine, The Pogues

Iceland - Sigur Ros, Sugarcubes

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Japan - Loudness

Brazil - Sepultura

Sweden - Yngwe Malmsteen

Germany - Accept

Norwary - TNT

Denmark - King Diamond

France - Telephone

and last but not least

Italy - Necrodeath

EGADS -- Other than your Canadiens and Krokus, I've never heard of any of the rest.

You didn't read the title. I said "BEST." (Just kidding -- LOL).

Roy,

Accept; King Diamond, TNT, Loudness and Sepultura are actually pretty big in their genres. Accept had a charted record in America called "Balls to the Wall" and I believe Sepultura has sold over 20 Million Albums worldwide. Loudness toured with some of thebiggest acts of the 80's.

Slim,

Agreed that Yngwe does not have the feel like Beck or Hendrix; his whole influence is Paganini and it shows in his music. He has charted several times in the US, so I guess that puts him into the conversation. Not a personal favorite of mine, but I thought he deserved a spot here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Roy,

Accept; King Diamond, TNT, Loudness and Sepultura are actually pretty big in their genres. Accept had a charted record in America called "Balls to the Wall" and I believe Sepultura has sold over 20 Million Albums worldwide. Loudness toured with some of thebiggest acts of the 80's.

Yeah, I was just kidding. Others on this board have a wider range of knowledge of groups than I do. That's why I like this board because I'll check out some of the groups others have mentioned but I hadn't heard of.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I usually go with "favorite" in place of "best" around here; makes life much easier.  :)

I just got "The Very Best of Crowded House" cd ($3.99 pre-owned -- sweet deal) recently, so I'll go with Crowded House.    

Also, on the heels of discussing Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, they seem to be getting loud press for their new album -- and they were in Boston (Orpheum, maybe?) just last week; the review jumped off the page, sounded like a fantastic show.   Out of the blue, they are suddenly on my radar.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

I usually go with "favorite" in place of "best" around here; makes life much easier.  :)

I just got "The Very Best of Crowded House" cd ($3.99 pre-owned -- sweet deal) recently, so I'll go with Crowded House.      

Nice score.  Not a bad song on it, really.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

It's a particularly good week to recognize social activism, so I'll nominate:

Australia - Midnight Oil

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Australia - The Easybeats

Jamaica - Toots & the Maytals, Bob Marley, Jimmy Cliff, Prince Buster

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Nice score.  Not a bad song on it, really.

Incredible deal.  I finally dragged myself to the Newbury Comics in Burlington.   While there, I saw one of the former employees from Fresh Pond, in fact, so my day was made.   She said it was a matter of the rent going up up up, and they had to accept their fate.   Seeing that employees were transferred makes me feel good re: Newbury Comics.

The album is excellent.   I chose the earlier one in favor of the later "bestie" album, since this one had better tracks.    

We've discussed Crowded House many times here -- so it was on my radar, and paid off.  :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to gerbs' comment:

It's a particularly good week to recognize social activism, so I'll nominate:

Australia - Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil -- good call.

Yoga -- best=favorite -- good call.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Also, on the heels of discussing Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, they seem to be getting loud press for their new album -- and they were in Boston (Orpheum, maybe?) just last week; the review jumped off the page, sounded like a fantastic show.   Out of the blue, they are suddenly on my radar.   

The Finn brothers - Crowded House - hail from New Zealand (formerly the Split Enz) - great band.

Yoga I read the same review in the G section of the Globe - and like you - it jumped off the page at me too! I felt like I missed a great show.

Scorpions - Germany

INXS - Australia

Men At Work - Australia

Midnight Oil - Australia

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

The Finn brothers - Crowded House - hail from New Zealand (formerly the Split Enz) - great band.

Yoga I read the same review in the G section of the Globe - and like you - it jumped off the page at me too! I felt like I missed a great show.

Scorpions - Germany

INXS - Australia

Men At Work - Australia

Midnight Oil - Australia

Can't believe I missed INXS

Good catch Roger.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Jose Feliciano - Puerto Rico

Also another great Australian rock group - Little River Band

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Too many to list, so I'll give mine by country:

• Australia:  Radio Birdman by far (one of my top 3 songs ever is one of theirs, "Aloha Steve and Danno":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkKiZ9VSD6U
    • Brazil:  Os Haxixins, though the band Fuzzface has a few killer songs including "Fita K7":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6mHdRorrUk
    • Germany:  Kraftwerk
    • Netherlands:  Q65 or The Outsiders....or the Motion....or....
    • Spain:  Wau y los Argghhss!!!!....among many
    • Japan...also too many.....gun at head it's Michelle Gun Elephant
    • France:  The Magnetix.  
    • Switzerland:  Reverend Beat Man (also runs the legendary Voodoo Rhythm label)
    • Austria:  Wild Evel and the Trashbones
    • Portugal:  Tough one.  I love d3o:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yglXMPYcwcc  ...but the Legendary Tigerman, Tedio Boys and Parkinsons are great

Damn, digging d3o...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Mexico - Santana

Sweden - Europe 

Jamaica - Bob Marley

Interesting list. I knew Thin Lizzy was Irish but not Boomtown Rats. Never knew Golden Earring was Netherlands (interesting) and had no idea Europe was from Sweden. 

You can add Canadian bands.

roy, I think Holland's place in rock'n'roll history is as forgotten as it is brilliant:

• Q65:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yglXMPYcwcc
    • The Motions:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ4mZFVP9BY
    • The Outsiders:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65-JvjmyWE
    • Cuby and the Blizzards:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwQLA-OT02c
    • The Golden Earrings (precursor to "Golden Earring"):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwQLA-OT02c

Loads more, but will stop now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

• Peru:  Los Saicos. "Demolicion" is a Punk classic.  Speeded up punks trashing remote train stations.....in Peru.  In 1964.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haVaaDLwWvI
    • Uruguay:  Los Shakers.  The best song not included on "A Hard Day's Night"  ;-)  ....totally derivative, obviously so, shamelessly so....but simple genius.
    • Argentina:  Los Peyotes.  Slam dunk.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

If I included Canada,Neil Young would be the first name that comes to mind.There's also Mahogany Rush,Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO),The Guess Who,Steppenwolf,The Band,Heart and Pat Travers

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Aha!  There I was thinking John Kay was a Yank.

Adios Kraftwerk, Steppenwolf if my favourite German band.  ;-)

And John McEnroe is my favourite bald, German ping pong enthusiast.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I don't know about "best" , but Rock has mostly been a style of music from English speaking countries. Exception being Germany, which has had a few good ones already mentioned here.

I would say the overwhelming majority of the "best" foreign bands not from England are from Canada, Australia, Ireland and a few from Scotland and Sweden. I have a number of LPs in my collection from Canadian groups, some mentioned here, some not....and Australian groups really took off during the Alternative era ( late 80s, early 90s).

My favorite and I would say possibly the best ever is without doubt the trio from Canada known as Rush....I know Neil Young was born Canadian, but I do not consider him from Canada as he has lived in California for a hell of long time now....and all of his recording career.