Bob Dylan's 30th Anniversary CD being re-released

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Bob Dylan's 30th Anniversary CD being re-released

Here's a link to watch the trailer from the concert:

http://music.yahoo.com/news/bob-dylan-39-fantastic-30th-anniversary-concert-being-130004350-rolling-stone.html

Bob Dylan's Fantastic 30th Anniversary Concert Being Reissued Rolling Stone  By Andy GreeneJanuary 21, 2014 8:00 AM   

Twenty-two years ago, Columbia Records threw Bob Dylan a 30th anniversary bash at Madison Square Garden with one of the most impressive lineups in the history of rock. Neil YoungTom PettyGeorge HarrisonJohnny CashLou Reed, the BandPearl JamEric ClaptonStevie WonderWillie Nelson and many others came together to share the stage with Dylan and perform his songs. It was broadcast on Pay-Per-View and portions of the show were released on VHS and CD, but on March 4th a super deluxe version of the concert will hit shelves on CD and DVD/Blu Ray. 

Check Out Photos of Bob Dylan's Amazing Career

Highlights from the show include Dylan's solo acoustic rendition of "Girl From the North Country," Neil Young's frenetic "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" with Booker T And the M.G.'s and George Harrison's beautiful take of "Absolutely Sweet Marie," which marked his final time performing in public. "That gig was one of the highlights of my career," says guitarist G.E. Smith, who was the musical director of the show. "There aren't a lot of people that can attract a lineup like that, and everyone was on their best behavior. Lou Reed and Neil Young can be prickly, but not in the three days we were prepping that show. I also got to talk to Johnny Cash. What's cooler than that?"

There's been talk of re-releasing the show for years. "We were just able to locate the high definition footage," says a source close to the Bob Dylan camp. "It had been sitting in Japan at NHK. Japan was an early adopter in HD and they had HD cameras at the event. What you're seeing now is their cut of the show, which nobody had ever seen before. Getting the full rights was very complicated because of bankruptcies. A Sony lawyer who was a passionate music fan sorted it all out."

See Where Bob Dylan Ranks on Our 100 Greatest Artists of All Time

Unfortunately, this release still isn't the complete show. Dylan played an acoustic rendition of "Song to Woody," one of his earliest compositions, but there were technical problems. "As frustrating at this sounds, his guitar wasn't recorded," says the source. "All you're hearing is a faint guitar and Bob's voice and we just couldn't use that."  There were also problems during an all-star finale of "My Back Pages," but they were able to fix that in post-production. "Let's just say that some of the harmonies on that are overdubs," says the source. 

Sinead O'Connor was supposed to perform Dylan's gospel classic "I Believe in You," but days earlier she tore up a photo of the Pope on Saturday Night Live and the crowd booed her off the stage. A rehearsal of her performance was tracked down and it'll be included on the reissue, alongside a new forty-minute documentary about the concert featuring previously unseen rehearsal footage and new interviews. Time constraints forced producers to cut out Neil Young's cover of "Forever Young" on the pump organ, but bits of his his rehearsal will be seen in the bonus material. 

Here is the complete track listing for Bob Dylan - The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration - Deluxe Edition

"Like A Rolling Stone" - John Mellencamp
    "Blowin' In The Wind" – Stevie Wonder
    "Foot of Pride" – Lou Reed
    "Masters of War" – Eddie Vedder/Mike McCready
    "The Times They Are A-Changin'" – Tracy Chapman
    "It Ain't Me Babe" – June Carter Cash/Johnny Cash
    "What Was It You Wanted" – Willie Nelson
    "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" – Kris Kristofferson
    "Highway 61 Revisited" – Johnny Winter
    "Seven Days – Ron Wood
    "Just Like a Woman" – Richie Havens
    "When the Ship Comes In" – The Clancy Brothers and Robbie O'Connell with special guest Tommy Makem
    "War" – Sinead O'Connor
    "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" – Neil Young
    "All Along the Watchtower" – Neil Young
    "I Shall be Released" – Chrissie Hynde
    "Love Minus Zero, No Limit" – Eric Clapton (Track Only Available on DVD/Blu-Ray Format)
    "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" – Eric Clapton
    "Emotionally Yours" – The O'Jays
    "When I Paint My Masterpiece" – The Band
    "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" – Mary Chapin Carpenter/Rosanne Cash/Shawn Colvin
    "Absolutely Sweet Marie – George Harrison"
    "License to Kill" – Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35" - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    "Mr Tambourine Man" – Roger McGuinn
    "It's Alright, Ma" – Bob Dylan
    "My Back Pages" – Bob Dylan/Roger McGuinn/Tom Petty/Neil Young/Eric Clapton/George Harrison
    "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" – Everyone
    "Girl of The North Country" – Bob Dylan

DVD Bonus Tracks:

"Leopard-Skin Pill-box Hat" - John Mellencamp
    "Boots of Spanish Leather" – Nancy Griffith with Carolyn Hester
    "Gotta Serve Somebody" – Booker T. & the M.G.'s

CD Audio bonus tracks:

"I Believe in You" – Sinéad O'Connor  (from soundcheck, previously unreleased)
    "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" – Eric Clapton (from soundcheck, previously unreleased)

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Bob Dylan's 30th Anniversary CD being re-released

PBS' Great Performancesannounced Jan. 21 it will present “Bob Dylan: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration” with highlights of the 1992 star-studded concert from Madison Square Garden that includes an incredible performance of “Absolutely Sweet Marie” by George Harrison. The show will air in March. (Check local listings.)

The concert was to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Dylan's 1962 debut album “Bob Dylan” and featured performances by Harrison, The Band, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Roseanne Cash, Eric Clapton, Shawn Colvin, Richie Havens, Roger McGuinn, John Mellencamp, Tom Petty, Stevie Wonder, Eddie Vedder, Ron Wood, Neil Young, and more.

In the special, Tracy Chapman sings a haunting rendition of "The Times they Are A-Changin'," and Stevie Wonder performs "Blowin' in the Wind." Richie Havens, who first met Dylan at the folk clubs and coffee houses of Greenwich Village in the 1960s, sings "Just Like A Woman." John Mellencamp gives a highly-charged performance of "Like a Rolling Stone." The final set features Dylan himself.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Oops .... Wrong thread.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Obviously, a righteous lineup and my favorite is still probably My Back Pages where eash legend takes a lead vocal.   Clapton's solo is great and I love Neil's outro solo.  Each puts their stamp on that one and the order in which each singer took their verse was perfect.

[/QUOTE]

I still have a recording of that great performance of "My Back Pages" and a few others.  Inspired stuff.  It will be nice to get the rest of the show..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

PBS' Great Performancesannounced Jan. 21 it will present “Bob Dylan: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration” with highlights of the 1992 star-studded concert from Madison Square Garden that includes an incredible performance of “Absolutely Sweet Marie” by George Harrison. The show will air in March. (Check local listings.)

The concert was to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Dylan's 1962 debut album “Bob Dylan” and featured performances by Harrison, The Band, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Roseanne Cash, Eric Clapton, Shawn Colvin, Richie Havens, Roger McGuinn, John Mellencamp, Tom Petty, Stevie Wonder, Eddie Vedder, Ron Wood, Neil Young, and more.

In the special, Tracy Chapman sings a haunting rendition of "The Times they Are A-Changin'," and Stevie Wonder performs "Blowin' in the Wind." Richie Havens, who first met Dylan at the folk clubs and coffee houses of Greenwich Village in the 1960s, sings "Just Like A Woman." John Mellencamp gives a highly-charged performance of "Like a Rolling Stone." The final set features Dylan himself.

[/QUOTE]

Great Performances does it (or will do it) again.  Note it says "highlights" of the concert, but if they're going to play the footage of Richie Havens' (RIP) performance of "Just Like a Woman" that's reason alone to watch.   Great news.  

The CD looks amazing.   I don't know all of Dylan's songs by any means, but as I look at a list like that,  his song-writing credits are staggering, with a never-ending list of classics that won't ever get old or go out of style.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Nice....................................Wink