Bon Iver

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Bon Iver

I had the good fortune of being able to see them this past Saturday night at Radio City Music Hall in NYC. My dtr goes to college in NYC and for a high school graduation gift I had purchased her two tickets to see Bon Iver at Radio City Music Hall. Well at the last minute the person she was taking to the show couldn't make it. She texted me Saturda about 1PM and asked would there be any chance I could come down and go to show ith her. Didn't have to ask me twice. Most ly I was thrilled to see her (I havent seen her since august when dropped her off).. but the bonus was seeing Bon Iver.I like Bon Iver but was never anyone at the top of my to see list.. But  I was blown away by their show. They were a 9 piece band. all seemed to be amazing musicians. I have seen hundreds of shows in my life and this would rank near the top. They were amazing. So tight.. If they ever return to the Bosotn area I am going to be sure to grab tickets..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Bon Iver

I haven't heard a whole lot (just their self-titled LP from last year), but I'm mildly intrigued by that which I have.  Sometimes it's hard to digest such overwhelming acclaim (i.e. 'consider the source' and so on)

As one of our more astute, indie-minded, outside-of-the-box posters, your recommendations aren't taken lightly, either.  Glad to know their live act is worth while.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

thanks Matty.. they broadcast fridays show on you tube. It will be available again I beleive starting tomorrow on You Tube.. It is defintiely worth checking out. I usually lean towards garage sounding faster music.. but as I mentioned I was blown away. Beautiful music is how I can describe it..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Actually, the Webcast from Radio City is online now, for 48 hours before they take it down.

Sorry, I'm not a fan at all.   If I got a free ticket, I'd go, for sure, as live concerts can be a totally different deal than a recording.   Otherwise, I'd call them deriviative and only good marketing got them where they got in a sea of similar bands ... sorry.    I know you're very blunt in your assessments, so feel I can say that to you.   No offense.  

However, glad you had a good time and spent it with someone special like your kid.  I'd also bet some of your feelings about the concert had to do with the fun you had being there with her, and seeing her soak it up.   Just speculating.  :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Actually, the Webcast from Radio City is online now, for 48 hours before they take it down.

Sorry, I'm not a fan at all.   If I got a free ticket, I'd go, for sure, as live concerts can be a totally different deal than a recording.   Otherwise, I'd call them deriviative and only good marketing got them where they got in a sea of similar bands ... sorry.    I know you're very blunt in your assessments, so feel I can say that to you.   No offense.  

However, glad you had a good time and spent it with someone special like your kid.  I'd also bet some of your feelings about the concert had to do with the fun you had being there with her, and seeing her soak it up.   Just speculating.  :)

[/QUOTE]

Im sure being with my daughter added to it. But I never take other peoples musical insterests, tastes etc personal. Everyone has their own opinion.. and I certainly, for the most part go against the norm. There are some extrememly popular acts that I wouldn't go see them if they were playing in my back yard. But I can only add how I hear and feel about it. Musically I would say they are as good as almost anyone I ever saw live. Extrememly tight. But again that is my own feeling

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Not to state the obvious, but...

...Radio City Music Hall is a truly magical place and seems to bring the very best out of the performers who grace its stage.  There's an aura of infallibility that's hard to describe, almost like the musicians are held to an invisibly high standard of excellence.

Looking forward to viewing the show when I get home tonight...again, thanks for the tip.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not to state the obvious, but...

...Radio City Music Hall is a truly magical place and seems to bring the very best out of the performers who grace its stage.  There's an aura of infallibility that's hard to describe, almost like the musicians are held to an invisibly high standard of excellence.

Looking forward to viewing the show when I get home tonight...again, thanks for the tip.

[/QUOTE]

Thats so true Matty. I hadn't been there since about 1985 when I saw REM.... The place is amazing as is the acoustics which I am sure helps any show. The ambiance of the theatre must have helped as as soon as they hit the first note with the song Perth, it kind of put it me in this musical trance.. I loved the show on you tube friday night abut then even more when seeing it in person

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Nice post leafs. Bon Iver was a highlight of Coachella for me. I was not that familar with their music going in, and admit looking past them to Radiohead next. That was a mistake. They played one of the most unique, energetic sets I have heard from any band in a while, and had the crowd of 60,000 plus really into it. I came away a newly minted fan. I may not be the only one who felt that way that night, when they took the stage Tom Yorke said "man how good was Bon Iver."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

They defintiely won me over as a fan polar as well. I casually liked their music as I thought Justin's range as a singer is pretty cool.. But live was a differnet story.It is one of the few times where I have left a show in almost awe.. They really impressed me. I have been now listening to them over and over since the show. Normally that doesnt happen with me..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Here's the link to the Radio City Hall webcast (available for 48 hours only):

http://stereogum.com/1159131/watch-bon-ivers-radio-city-musical-hall-webcast/video/

I've listened to it off / on today (have had to put it on pause many, many times, it's taken pretty much all day) and am now about 10 minutes away from the end, in the encore.   To me, the encore is the best part of the concert, right now.  

It's been a good opportunity to hear one of their recent concerts; I'm amazed at the number of webcasts that are available to the world at-home audience.   I've listened to a few over the past few months; the Wilco concert from Newport was the ultimate for me -- truly amazing.

I'm so much more interested in LIVE albums now than I have been in the past, thanks in part to taking advantage of the webcasts and lots of discussions on the board.

I guess I am odd-person out on this jury for Bon Iver, though, Radio City Music Hall and the Big Apple's greatness notwithstanding.   So it goes.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Yogafriend wrote..."I'm so much more interested in LIVE albums now than I have been in the past, thanks in part to taking advantage of the webcasts and lots of discussions on the board."

I like live albums too but prefer live albums from bands that mix it up and jam versus playing songs note for note. I love going to youtube when the poster puts in a link to a video of the artist - you guy's/gal's have pointed me towards some good stuff and stuff I had forgotten...Thanks!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I went and watched it again last night. Loved it.. Defintiely better being there but still loved the webcast. Definitely one of the tne best shows I ever saw...With so much soul less music out today with horrible lyrics that are produced to just make money, this band is extremely unique and refreshing to me..

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Just finished listening. I enjoyed the musical texture but the vocals seemed a bit lacking to me. First time I gave them a listen - thanks gang.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just finished listening. I enjoyed the musical texture but the vocals seemed a bit lacking to me. First time I gave them a listen - thanks gang.

[/QUOTE]

when I first heard them a few years back it was the vocals that was what kept me from really getting into it. But Justins voice has grown on me.. He has a pretty wide range

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to leafswin27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jesseyeric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

when I first heard them a few years back it was the vocals that was what kept me from really getting into it. But Justins voice has grown on me.. He has a pretty wide range

[/QUOTE]

I can hear that, but he doesn't seem to use it. At least during the webcast, I found the vocals going from one song to another with zero change.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.