Bonnaroo 2013 - or BLAM (the announcement has taken a turn for the bizarre

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Bonnaroo 2013 - or BLAM (the announcement has taken a turn for the bizarre

Where do I start?    First, funny to see Matty's Newport FF announcment today, which I would not expect in February.   Bizarro.   

Bonnaroo is traditionally announced in February, and I looked last week to see that the powers that be decided to make this year's lineup *announcement* a bit of a spectacle in itself, that I personally don't have time to deal with ... yeesh.    

So here it is ... they had Weird Al do the announcement on livestream: took an HOUR, but I did not watch it.   Here's what I could copy and paste from MTV's website:

Here it is:

Paul McCartney, Mumford & Sons and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers top the bill for Bonnaroo 2013, set for June 13-16 in — where else? — Manchester, Tennessee.

Bjork, Wilco, Pretty Lights, R. Kelly (!) and the Wu-Tang Clan (!!) will join them on the lineup, along with the National, the Lumineers, Kendrick Lamar, A$AP Rocky, Nas, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Grizzly Bear. My Morning Jacket frontman (and longtime 'Roo vet) Jim James will pull double duty, performing a solo set and hosting the annual Superjam — with appearances from John Oates and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band — and comedian Ed Helms will hold it down in a "Bluegrass Situation Superjam."

Other names confirmed to appear at the fest include David Byrne and St. Vincent, Passion Pit, the xx, Animal Collective, Portugal. The Man, Animal Collective and Cat Power. Comedian Daniel Tosh also earned top billing, perhaps hinting at an increased focus on stand-up this year.

All in all, more than 100 acts were announced by Bonnaroo organizers on Tuesday (February 19) in an hour-long livestream hosted by none other than "Weird Al" Yankovic (who, it should be noted, is also performing).

And with that announcement comes the inevitable nitpicking. Because while there are plenty of new names on this year's Bonnaroo bill, a quick glance at the lineup will no doubt leave longtime fans of the fest with a sense of déjà vu: This will mark McCartney's first time performing, but fellow headliners Mumford & Sons appeared at Bonnaroo in 2011, and Tom Petty closed out the main stage with the Heartbreakers in 2006 ... Wilco, Animal Collective and Jim James (to name just a few) have also logged appearances throughout the years.

Still, there's plenty for everyone to see ... for the full lineup, head to the fest's official site ... that's also where you'll be able to purchase tickets to Bonnaroo 2013, when they go on sale Saturday, February 23 at 12 p.m. ET.

What do you think of the Bonnaroo 2013 lineup? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Bonnaroo 2013 - or BLAM (the announcement has taken a turn for the bizarre

Couple of comments I saw on the website (and this is one of my own issues of late, too, as mentioned in recent roots / folk threads re: the heavy trendiness of this genre so as to rule over (almost to exclusion) "standard", real rock music); therefore, thought this was a valid general comment:

"paul mccartney, tom petty, lumineers, mumford and sons, wilco, bjork, grizzly bear

nas, wu tang, maclemore, kendrick lamar rkelly, pretty lights

pretty good lineup. hip hop fans, and folk/indie fans should be happy. my question is where's the music for rock and roll fans? something with some edge to it. they couldnt sign one band that kicks at least a little a-s-s. you telling me that linkin park, queens of the stone age, blink 182, green day, my chemical romance, foo fighters, tool, a perfect circle, audioslave, soundgarden, smashing pumpkins, metalicca, silversun pickups, rob zombie, the chilli peppers, and system of a down (and the list goes on for another like 50 high quality mainstream rock bands) were all booked????

this is the softest lineup ive ever seen. not everyone has bought into this new rock, alot of us still like our alternative/punk sounds of the 90s/00s."

" i dig the folky indie stuff but cmon just gimme 1 ROCK band.  i dont care what genre of rock, im sure theres even some new good bands i never heard of. but i do know for a fact that mumford, lumineers, grizzly bear, wilco are all folky, soft indie stuff. i just want one more headliner that actually kicks some a-s-s."

Ya hear me??  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The headliners are Mumford and Sons, Tom Petty, and McCartney??????

I didn't think Mumford and Sons were big enough to headline such an event and Tom Petty and McCartney haven't been relative in years (decades?).  I would have thought TP and PM's demographics were a little older than the crowd at Bonnaroo.  Maybe the event was getting too big and they wanted to dissuade people from coming.

Cat Power?  David Byrne and St Vincent?  At Bonnaroo?  They are more suited for performing at Tanglewood.

I'm surprised Soundgarden isn't performing.

Sounds like a bleak summer for music.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

McCartney is always fun and you are bound to hear some great Beatles tunes, but that is about it. If the Foo Fighters were on the bill, maybe another Nirvana reuinion set with PM. Outside of the National, Jim James, and Wilco, there is not much here to get excited about. Petty is ok, but does not sell tickets.

The big act, the insufferably overrated Mumford and Son's generates no buzz, so I am confused at what the organizers are selling.  These festivals are supposed to have a little something for everyone, and this one seems particulay barren and one-sided.

No wonder Coachella sold out so fast.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

The best festivals right now are the smaller, regional ones.

From what I've seen and heard, I agree wholeheartedly.

Once upon a time, I held aspersions to visit Bonnaroo (like any other nebulous 'tourist' destination)...

...but I've been more than satisfied with what I can find in the northeast/mid-atlantic not to dwell on it too much.  Of course, it helps living in a city like Boston, too.

Coachella - maybe.  Sasquatch - bigger maybe.  Other than that, like you say, there are plenty of regional (cheaper, more intimate, etc.) hangouts to choose from.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:

The headliners are Mumford and Sons, Tom Petty, and McCartney??????

I didn't think Mumford and Sons were big enough to headline such an event and Tom Petty and McCartney haven't been relative in years (decades?).  I would have thought TP and PM's demographics were a little older than the crowd at Bonnaroo.  Maybe the event was getting too big and they wanted to dissuade people from coming.

Cat Power?  David Byrne and St Vincent?  At Bonnaroo?  They are more suited for performing at Tanglewood.

I'm surprised Soundgarden isn't performing.

Sounds like a bleak summer for music.

You missed recent discussions here re: Mumford & Sons.   Not that any of us are particularly into them (understatement) but they sold out the TD North Center in 6 minutes for their recent concert earlier this month.   They're a bit bigger than you may realize, for better or worse.   If they're suffering from anything, it's overexposure and a rise to fame and fortune in a mere 3 years.  

Cat Power at Tanglewood?  Not sure what you mean by that, because I doubt that the average ticket buyer for a Tanglewood concert would even know who she is.  :P   

Paul McCartney is irrelevant?   Dave Grohl doesn't seem to think so, and since he might show up on stage with McCartney (you never know), that might prove to be relevant to many attendees.  

The "crowd" at Bonnaroo is about 80,000, and while I doubt the goal of the producers is to make that number decline, you never know.  ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The promotional money isn't there anymore, so they sit back and get the money in one fell swoop during the summer festival season. No new album, but a whole lot of 16-30 yer olds who have never heard Free Fallin live. Jackpot. 

The whole reason why he's on that bill with McCartney is to guarantee they break even in the festival. It's a slam dunk. The fact is, they'll do better than that and whoever they add in to the festival will be a bonus.   That festival was taken over about 5 years ago.

Not sure what you mean re: on the bill with McCartney makes them money, b/c a ticket to see McCartney alone would cost  twice as much as a festival pass.    It's a very cost-effective way to see music, even if the cost for the passes is going up, ticket prices for individual concerts are also going up.   

As for 16-30 year olds being interested in Tom Petty live, I agree.  I think many would be surprised at the number of younger music fans who are into classic rock music.   I recently watched a little movie on youtube by some high school kids, and all of the music they used in the movie was classic rock.   They even used Foreigner and Journey (most kids *LOVE* Foreigner and Journey).   Heh.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The Tanglewood crowd may not know who Cat Power is, but I bet they'd enjoy their act more than the Bonnerroo crowd. 

Anyway, the point being is Bonnerroo seems to have jumped the Shark. 

Speaking of Tanglewood, the Boston Pops are teaming up with Warren Hayes at Tanglewood to do a tribute to..... Jerry Garcia.  June 22 is the date.

Several years ago, I heard the Pops at the Hatchshell play La Cucaracha.  It was really cool.  They played the verses over and over again, emphasizing different things with different parts of the orchestra.  It was very Dead like.  I thought it would be interesting to hear the Pops give the same treatment to some of Jerry's songs.  Maybe I'll finally get the opportunity.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

They even used Foreigner and Journey (most kids *LOVE* Foreigner and Journey).   Heh.  

You may have spotted some of the problems with music "these days" right there....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

They even used Foreigner and Journey (most kids *LOVE* Foreigner and Journey).   Heh.  

You may have spotted some of the problems with music "these days" right there....

Hey, look ... those kids grew up hearing the music of their parents, and in some cases, it stuck.   Not much we can do about it.    Some of them like Dylan, Neil Young, et al, too.   Let's not be too quick to judge.   :P

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Hey, look ... those kids grew up hearing the music of their parents, and in some cases, it stuck.   Not much we can do about it.    Some of them like Dylan, Neil Young, et al, too.   Let's not be too quick to judge.   :P

So, we can blame the awful parents then.  Good.  ;)

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The promotional money isn't there anymore, so they sit back and get the money in one fell swoop during the summer festival season. No new album, but a whole lot of 16-30 yer olds who have never heard Free Fallin live. Jackpot. 

The whole reason why he's on that bill with McCartney is to guarantee they break even in the festival. It's a slam dunk. The fact is, they'll do better than that and whoever they add in to the festival will be a bonus.   That festival was taken over about 5 years ago.

Not sure what you mean re: on the bill with McCartney makes them money, b/c a ticket to see McCartney alone would cost  twice as much as a festival pass.    It's a very cost-effective way to see music, even if the cost for the passes is going up, ticket prices for individual concerts are also going up.   

As for 16-30 year olds being interested in Tom Petty live, I agree.  I think many would be surprised at the number of younger music fans who are into classic rock music.   I recently watched a little movie on youtube by some high school kids, and all of the music they used in the movie was classic rock.   They even used Foreigner and Journey (most kids *LOVE* Foreigner and Journey).   Heh.  

You're missing my point. A 2 hour show for McCartney or Petty at Bonaroo makes them 10 x as much vs if they played 1 arena show. So, that's why you see older people like that headline the massive festivals.  Less travel, huge pull, etc.  Makes sense. I was just commenting how disapppointing it is for Petty to JUST be doing that summer festival crap and not really doing a proper tour. It's been years. Probably since 2003 or 2004 with the Last DJ thing.  He usually does an amp tour every other summer, but that is beyond boring for long time fans at this point.

There's a lot more corporate dollar tied to something like Bonaroo than one night in NY at Madison Sq Garden, so these bands play at the festivals. I think the only gig PJ played last summer/fall was in Atlanta at a festival. They headlined it and probably made all the money they would have made for a 3 month arena run, in one fell swoop.

Ticket prices are always going up. It's one reason why Bonaroo has become more gimmicky and your best bet right now is to hit a smaller or mid size festival in the NE or northeast area.

For example, Floydfest is cool in VA in July.   WV has one every summer that pulls a good lineup.

Merlefest in April in western NC, while more bluegrass or Americana based also has some good headlining acts in the prime slots and it's not some outrageous pricing.

The problem is the promoters and their relationships with the trendier festivals like Bonaroo.  The more the demand, the more those tickets end up on broker sites and the higher the prices.

Festivals, even Bonaroo, used to be a way to bypass that crap, but it's not the case anymore.

I wasn't completely missing your point, as much as I expressed the POV of a consumer and potential ticket buyer.  I don't know what the bands are raking in for $$$ (am surprised, however, they make that much for a festival gig, had no idea) but am more concerned about the affordability of the ticket pass, and what I'd potentially get out of the experience.    

But I see your point in terms of TP going on tour, making it possible for more fans to see him perform -- and not feeling the need to do that if he can make all that dough in one fell swoop.    Last year, Foo Fighters were headlining LOADS of festivals -- so they were doing the same thing from what you're saying; same with PJ (also at LOADS of festivals for a while).   

It's the holistic experience of a festival, for the people who can handle it, and while the music is the centerpiece, of course, there's much more to it.   The gestalt.    I'd love to see Tom Petty live, for the experience.   They're also appearing at the Firefly Festival, another mixed rock venue (in Dover, Delaware) in June of this year, too.    So maybe TP is out there a bit more right now:

http://fireflyfestival.com/site.php#home.php

17. This post has been removed.