"Boston Calling" - I'm hanging up.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

"Boston Calling" - I'm hanging up.

I'm shocked to be the poster to raise this...shocked!.....is it nothing in Boston, do you not collectively care,  or is it a time zone issue?  A guy that left Boston on 17 Dec 89 is the one that spits blood about this awful festival?

I'm outraged, to be honest.   Decades overdue, loads of options.....yet the lowest of roads is taken.....how can a "Boston" festival not have any of the Remains, Jon Rich, Customs, Real Kids, Lyres, Gilbert/Bangor, Muck, play?  Not to mention the many Cars/Pixies/Breeders/Dogs/Kids/....loved all over the world

Honestly...I'm outraged and ashamed. A (huge) opportunity lost...maybe we can plant a seed of recovery......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re:

I thought about creating a thread for it when I saw it yesterday, but I didn't feel the need.  I mean, a music festival at City Hall Plaza?   

I hear you, Sonics.   And I agree.   Very disappointing.  

I so agree, an opportunity to start a local, annual music festival --  Finally.   Then you see they're having FUN as a headliner.   ???

Two day passes are $120.00, and one day passes are $75.00 if I recall correctly (not bad pricing, IMO).

I'll look for the lineup tomorrow.   Not inspiring.  Did anyone else notice the announcement on BDC?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Re:

My "dream" BOSTON Rock Festival list of acts:

Del Fuegos, the Stompers, John Butcher Axis, the Fools, J. Geils, Human Sexual Response, Til Tuesday, Pixies, Mission of Burma, the Mighty Bosstones, Dropkick Murphy's and Morpine (yes, I know the lead singer has died).....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re:

I saw the lineup/announcement but was underwhelmed...just didn't think that much about it.

However, there should certainly be more of this type of festival, if maybe not in City Hall Plaza.

The Common and Hatchshell are better locales...but unavailable for various reasons.  The fact is that large open spaces are at a premium.  

The smaller cities like Lowell have figured this out already and are putting on great summer shows.

Anything to break the stranglehold of the CC on summer concert experiences....

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Re:

Im all over this festival myself. A bunch of bands I want to see. I am a huge fan of the National. They themself would draw me in. I am going to get a ticket as soon as it goes on sale.. I could care less what it is called. I like some of the talent

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re:

In response to leafswin27's comment:

Im all over this festival myself. A bunch of bands I want to see. I am a huge fan of the National. They thmeself would draw me in. I am going to get a ticket as soon as it goes on sale.. I could care less what it is called. I like some of the talent

Funny...I just read about a documentary about the band, named after one of my favorite songs, Mistaken For Strangers, and directed by the lead's brother.

They're an interesting band but not sure I would sit through the others just to see them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Re:

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Im all over this festival myself. A bunch of bands I want to see. I am a huge fan of the National. They thmeself would draw me in. I am going to get a ticket as soon as it goes on sale.. I could care less what it is called. I like some of the talent

Funny...I just read about a documentary about the band, named after one of my favorite songs, Mistaken For Strangers, and directed by the lead's brother.

They're an interesting band but not sure I would sit through the others just to see them.

Mistaken for Strangers is a great tune. I do like a few of the other bands so it is worth it for me. I am such a big National fan even if I didn't like any of the others I would pay the dough to see them.. Great live act ..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re:

The National are headliners.   Prepare to wait a looooong time to see them since they won't show up until the end of the day.   Depending on the other bands, it might be worth it ... or maybe you can just show up late ... if it's worth $75.00 to see them, then it's worth it either way.  Of the music I own of the National, I like most of it, and while I'd like to see them live, I'm not jumping at the chance to see them at CHP.   Hard to say if it will sell out.   

Not sure about the crack about what it is called ...  must have gone over my head.  

ETA: I have the Boxer album as well, and while it's overall an excellent album, I don't often listen to all of the tracks; good as it is, it's hit or miss for me.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Re:

The National are one of the few bands I would pay 75 to see. Even if it were just them.. There are only a few acts out there I would pay that for. Most Large acts today charge that anyway I think? Like Lady Gaga or somoene like Fleetwood Mac who I know are coming. I am sure their tickets aren't cheap. It all boils down to preference . I get a lot of emotion out of the National myself. i think they are brilliant at what they do..

What I meant by regrdless of what the show was called was in repsonse to earlier mentionign it is a disgrace no Boston bands are there but it is being called Boston Calling.. It wasn't meant to attack or anything. I was jsut saying regardless of that I would love to go as it has some acts Id like to See. Andrew Bird is also someone I always wanted to see

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re:

In response to yogafriend's comment:

I thought about creating a thread for it when I saw it yesterday, but I didn't feel the need.  I mean, a music festival at City Hall Plaza?   

I hear you, Sonics.   And I agree.   Very disappointing.  

I so agree, an opportunity to start a local, annual music festival --  Finally.   Then you see they're having FUN as a headliner.   ???

Two day passes are $120.00, and one day passes are $75.00 if I recall correctly (not bad pricing, IMO).

I'll look for the lineup tomorrow.   Not inspiring.  Did anyone else notice the announcement on BDC?

...Yoga, don't encourage me!  ;-)

You nailed it...the venue is worse than the tame lineup..City Hall Plaza?  That's as rock'n'roll as Billy Joel.

$120?  Yeah, it's a bit steep....but I honestly would/will book a flight to Boston and happily pay $121 to see Barrance Whitfield and the Savages support their great upcoming record.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re:

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

My "dream" BOSTON Rock Festival list of acts:

Del Fuegos, the Stompers, John Butcher Axis, the Fools, J. Geils, Human Sexual Response, Til Tuesday, Pixies, Mission of Burma, the Mighty Bosstones, Dropkick Murphy's and Morpine (yes, I know the lead singer has died).....

V. cool.  I'd personally drop J Geils, Til Tuesday, Bosstones and Murphys....and add Jon Rich, the insanely underrated Real Kids, Lyres, Muck, Zulus and the Customs....

...but your post is exactly why I'm sickened by this faux fest....it could be great....but it's horrible IMO.

When I first heard the dates I thought I'd bring my hols forward a couple of weeks to be there.....but the lineup is so poor I can't be bothered.

I don't think it's all shiite, there are 3-4 bands I'd like to see.....but it seems obvious to me (ok, hand up, I'm weirdo Prime ;-) ) that the booker is totally clueless.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re:

If John Lennon would never think of mocking patrons for "rattling their jewelry" (at places like TT's, the Rat, and the wonderfully horrible Green Street Station) you have a chance of seeing a proper gig.

City Hall Plaza? The Common? The Hatchshell?  Is there a Boston in-joke I don't get?  Lowell?  Lowell??  What's that crappy, corporate loserdome in Southloserville called?  Something Woods?  Is it still there or has a Goner Records band mercy-killed it?

Best case?  Judy Garland's decomposed corpse.  Barely acceptible but totally unwelcome compromise?  Liza Minelli.  Fallback position?  David Gest.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Re:

Maybe we should move to Memphis,TN???

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — The Black Keys, Sheryl Crow and Public Enemy are among the musical acts scheduled to perform at the Beale Street Music Festival in May.

The eclectic list of performers was announced Tuesday on the website for Memphis in May, the month-long tourism event that includes the three-day music festival.

Other scheduled performers include Jerry Lee Lewis, Alice in Chains, Bassnectar, The Smashing Pumpkins, Daryl Hall & John Oates, Flaming Lips, Dwight Yoakam, The Roots, The Black Crowes, Patti Smith and ZZ Top.

The music festival takes place at Tom Lee Park, which sits alongside the Mississippi River. It runs from May 3 through May 5.

Memphis in May also features the World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest and the Sunset Symphony.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Re:

id take the Boston lineup over the Memphis lineup anyday. The only  grpoup in memphis that slightly interest me would be the Pumpkins.. Im probably in the minotiry though

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re:

id take the Boston lineup over the Memphis lineup anyday. The only  grpoup in memphis that slightly interest me would be the Pumpkins.. Im probably in the minotiry though

Goner have become my favourite label by far over the past few years.  Reatard(s), Oblivians, NOBUNNY (fave artist at the moment), Khan, Harlan T. Bobo...and that's just one little, if great, label.  And let's not even get into Dave Cloud.  (ok, I might soon).

...I think Boston could have equalled/exceeded that in the late 70s and/or late 80s but today? I can't see it.