Chris Cornell: YMMV

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Chris Cornell: YMMV

In September, the 20th anniversary of Nirvana's groundbreaker, "Nevermind" will be celebrated; with it, there's the possibility of a revival of the grunge rock soundscape.   

Chris Cornell, another success story out of Seattle, was on the vanguard in that era, with his band, Soundgarden.   Actually, was Cornell ahead of the curve, leading the way for bands such as Pearl Jam and AIC?  You tell me.

Did you follow Chris with Audioslave and Temple of the Dog?  Any of his solo work or with his current clean and sober persona?  

There are a few recent murmurs that Temple of the Dog might reunite.  Good idea to you?  Or meh?

Soundgarden reunited a couple of years ago, after a 14-year hiatus, and will be releasing their first new album since 1996 this fall.   No empty bottles of booze lying around the studio this time, says Chris.  Will you watch for it?

Your mileage (on Cornell) may vary.  Any interest?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Chris Cornell: YMMV

Nirvana may be the picture of the Grunge scene, but they are certainly not at the forefront of it. Way too many bands before them.

I have never once considered Soundgarden or Alice in Chains as grunge bands. They are both Hard Rock/Heavy Metal bands through and through who just happen to have come from Seattle at the same time as so many others.

The key is in the lyrical content. American teen angst  was once again on the rise and all these bands gave a voice to it. So let's lump them altogether.

I hate the term Grunge. It was used because these newer bands weren't wearing stage outfits, but ripped jeans and flannel. You would wear flannel to if you lived in Seattle year round.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Chris Cornell: YMMV:
    [QUOTE]Nirvana may be the picture of the Grunge scene, but they are certainly not at the forefront of it. Way too many bands before them. I have never once considered Soundgarden or Alice in Chains as grunge bands. They are both Hard Rock/Heavy Metal bands through and through who just happen to have come from Seattle at the same time as so many others. The key is in the lyrical content. American teen angst  was once again on the rise and all these bands gave a voice to it. So let's lump them altogether. I hate the term Grunge. It was used because these newer bands weren't wearing stage outfits, but ripped jeans and flannel. You would wear flannel to if you lived in Seattle year round.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Please tell us how you really feel.  Don't hold back, it's not healthy. :P 
    Grunge is associated with these bands, for better or worse.  You're right, it was a timeframe issue, but the bands that were on the vanguard during those years got slapped with that label.  Doesn't mean they weren't alternative metal / hard rock, too.   Lots of bands have fused lines between heavy metal and hard rock, it depends.   

And you didn't answer the question re: Chris Cornell.   Sounds like you never liked him.   Or did you?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Cornell has a mean set of pipes and excellent taste in backup bands.

Loved Soundgarden up through Superunknown.  Louder Than Love is inspired no-nonsense heavy rock and Badmotorfinger is a full-on classic from start-to-finish...one of my very favorite albums of the era (along with AIC's Facelift)

His solo work is a bit uneven to me, but found a comfy home with the guys from RATM.  Audioslave was solid and served its purpose. No need to belabor it.  It might be unspectacular but holds up pretty well.  The two bands are more similar than one would suspect at first glance.

I was reading about Dillinger Escape Plan after seeing them on Metal Evolution, and Soundgarden was mentioned as an influence...seems fairly apt.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I like Cornell a lot...I own the Soundgarden greatest hits CD and the first Audioslave CD. 

Love 'Black Hole Sun'...one of my favorite creepy songs of all time. 

Also love 'Like a Stone' by Audioslave...one of the best songs about death and the afterlife.

One thing I always appreciate about the music of Cornell and his bands is that there's usually something interesting in the lyrics.

I think he's a 'classic rock' guy at heart and of course I really relate to that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

P.S.  Check out the track "Seasons" from the Singles soundtrack, which is Cornell solo acoustic...

...a killer track in its own right (from a killer soundtrack), but also a foreshadowing of the acoustic trends soon to follow, I think. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Greatest hits CD, another lightbulb goes off.  :)  

I also loved "Black Hole Sun" ; put them on the map for me (and everyone else, perhaps).  

I like this quote about Cornell: "Jesus without the God complex."  

Hfx / Matty : also, read this if you have a minute; your comments about Cornell as a classic rock guy of sorts is spot on.  You'll also like the DMB reference.  It's an older review, but fresh. Check it out:

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Greatest hits CD, another lightbulb goes off.  :)   I also loved "Black Hole Sun" ; put them on the map for me (and everyone else, perhaps).   I like this quote about Cornell: "Jesus without the God complex."   Hfx / Matty : also, read this if you have a minute; your comments about Cornell as a classic rock guy of sorts is spot on.  You'll also like the DMB reference.  It's an older review, but fresh. Check it out: http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/09.09.99/cornell-9936.html
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

This review is a good read, thanks yf.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chris Cornell: YMMV : Please tell us how you really feel.  Don't hold back, it's not healthy. :P  Grunge is associated with these bands, for better or worse.  You're right, it was a timeframe issue, but the bands that were on the vanguard during those years got slapped with that label.  Doesn't mean they weren't alternative metal / hard rock, too.   Lots of bands have fused lines between heavy metal and hard rock, it depends.    And you didn't answer the question re: Chris Cornell.   Sounds like you never liked him.   Or did you?

Loved Cornell and Soundgarden. In my opinion, Chris is one of the top 10 greatest RnR vocalists ever. Was not a big fan of Audioslave but that might be because I am not a fan of Morello.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chris Cornell: YMMV : This review is a good read, thanks yf.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Thanks.  I really liked it, too.

I know we're not supposed to care if our comments line up with reviews (just kidding, right), but when critical judgement follows and therefore doesn't sway your thoughts and reactions, the affirmation is nice.     

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

BTW, Chris Cornell can stand still all he wants on stage.   Just makes it easier for us females to watch him.   He's easy on the eyes, IMO.  I can't think of anyone with a more intense stare than he has with those steely blue eyes.   Very haunting.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Greatest hits CD, another lightbulb goes off.  :)   I also loved "Black Hole Sun" ; put them on the map for me (and everyone else, perhaps).   I like this quote about Cornell: "Jesus without the God complex."   Hfx / Matty : also, read this if you have a minute; your comments about Cornell as a classic rock guy of sorts is spot on.  You'll also like the DMB reference.  It's an older review, but fresh. Check it out: http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/09.09.99/cornell-9936.html

Thanks yog...I picked up Euphoria Morning way after the fact, so this review brought me back.

Incidentally, I don't know which DMB album she's referring to, since they didn't release a studio LP in 1999 (Listener Supported was a live disc) - so maybe a throwaway line on the author's part.

The Audioslave doc which took place in Cuba was great, as well...the band acted as if they had been together for longer than they had.  As I said, there are some interesting similarities between the two bands; Kim Thayil and Tom Morello were both good, competent matches for Chris.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chris Cornell: YMMV : Loved Cornell and Soundgarden. In my opinion, Chris is one of the top 10 greatest RnR vocalists ever. Was not a big fan of Audioslave but that might be because I am not a fan of Morello.

What don't you like about Morello?   

The only reason I ask is:

It's a small music world, and Matty can speak to this b/c he was there, but Morello made an appearance to close out Jackson Browne's set at Newport, and he set the place on fire, the crowd went crazy and JB also looked more than pleased to have him on stage.  I saw it on livestream, that's the only reason I know and why I'm askin'.  :)  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chris Cornell: YMMV : Thanks yog...I picked up Euphoria Morning way after the fact, so this review brought me back. Incidentally, I don't know which DMB album she's referring to, since they didn't release a studio LP in 1999 (Listener Supported was a live disc) - so maybe a throwaway line on the author's part. The Audioslave doc which took place in Cuba was great, as well...the band acted as if they had been together for longer than they had.  As I said, there are some interesting similarities between the two bands; Kim Thayil and Tom Morello were both good, competent matches for Chris.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I think it was a throwaway line, too, since she wasn't that specific -- I didn't know what you'd make of it.  Couldn't help but notice it.  

While I'm here -- I've noticed DM isn't playing with DMB, but rather with Tim Reynolds, as a duo, to headline LIG.  Not that I would know, but it looks like a partnership that long-standing fans have either seen or are familiar with, so wanted to ask you what's up with it.  I'm not passing up the chance to see DM either way (the time has come to get first-hand experience).  Thanks, Matty.

Also, speaking of Morello -- see my "small world" comment above to JE.  You can speak to that (I couldn't help but ask); you have first-hand recent experience seeing him play live.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chris Cornell: YMMV : What don't you like about Morello?    The only reason I ask is: It's a small music world, and Matty can speak to this b/c he was there, but Morello made an appearance to close out Jackson Browne's set at Newport, and he set the place on fire, the crowd went crazy and JB also looked more than pleased to have him on stage.  I saw it on livestream, that's the only reason I know and why I'm askin'.  :)  

I hated Rage and he was part of them. Sometimes dislikes just don't fade away.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Soundgarden is one of the better bands to emerge in the 90's imo. Great alternative tunings  which set them apart, and gives their music a nice moody effect. Cornell is a throwback lead singer, great chops, presence and makes the musicians around him better. I 've seen them live and they never disappoint.  Kim Thayil is also an underrated guitar player. The band was known to throw a party or two.

See no reason for Temple of the Dog to reunite. They came along at the right time, and rode a wave.  Many of the bands that came out of the Pacific Northwest at that time now loathe the Grunge term, but you can never rule anything out as many of those involved are getting old and sentimental.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]While I'm here -- I've noticed DM isn't playing with DMB, but rather with Tim Reynolds, as a duo, to headline LIG.  Not that I would know, but it looks like a partnership that long-standing fans have either seen or are familiar with, so wanted to ask you what's up with it.  I'm not passing up the chance to see DM either way (the time has come to get first-hand experience).  Thanks, Matty. Also, speaking of Morello -- see my "small world" comment above to JE.  You can speak to that (I couldn't help but ask); you have first-hand recent experience seeing him play live.   

Nice!!  It's gonna be a great day of music!  AFAIK, it's the duo's only live appearance this fall.  (I saw them at Farm Aid in '08.)

Tim Reynolds has been a collaborator with Dave nearly from the beginning as a studio and behind-the-scenes hand, but also as an axe man for Dave's solo outings.  He's been described as a virtuoso, but I'm not qualified to say...except that he's an electrifying live player and does it almost effortlessly.

He joined the band full time a few years back, and it's made a difference...given them more of a rock band feel on stage.  A few friends who have seen his band, TR3 were likewise impressed at his guitar acrobatics.  Electric is one thing, but to do so well on acoustic is remarkable.

I'm also a big fan of Morello, who I think is one of the more interesting and willful players of the past 20 years.  His solo work is equally purpose-driven, and while I don't agree with all of his politics, I'm not unsympathetic, either. There's no rule saying rockers have to be wishy-washy about it, and he seems to agree.

Note, as The Nightwatchman, he is absolutely a folk artist in the truest sense, like the "id of woody".  Rock n' roll doesn't have to mean anything, but folk music is different...it has a point to make, and he embraces that tradition, if in an unconventional way.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]P.S.  Check out the track "Seasons" from the Singles soundtrack, which is Cornell solo acoustic... ...a killer track in its own right (from a killer soundtrack), but also a foreshadowing of the acoustic trends soon to follow, I think. 

Best movie soundtrack ever.  The two soundtracks I own are Singles and Forrest Gump

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chris Cornell: YMMV : I hated Rage and he was part of them. Sometimes dislikes just don't fade away.

No problem; I know you have very clear likes and dislikes, and this dislike ain't going nowhere.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chris Cornell: YMMV :  Tim Reynolds has been a collaborator with Dave nearly from the beginning as a studio and behind-the-scenes hand, but also as an axe man for Dave's solo outings.  He's been described as a virtuoso, but I'm not qualified to say...except that he's an electrifying live player and does it almost effortlessly. He joined the band full time a few years back, and it's made a difference...given them more of a rock band feel on stage.  A few friends who have seen his band, TR3 were likewise impressed at his guitar acrobatics.  Electric is one thing, but to do so well on acoustic is remarkable.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.  I'm almost more intrigued to see Dave in this format than with DMB, because performers have nowhere to hide with acoustic, and that means there'll be more "DM" than "B" to focus on (with Reynolds).   

Morello sounds like a very mindful thinker; he didn't forsake his beliefs for his music career, but developed a separate persona (if that can be done) to express himself.   His background (roots, as in parentage, activism and gulp, education) is uncannily similar to someone famous we all know -- then, off they went, taking very different paths in life, with different stress levels, too.  :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chris Cornell: YMMV : Thanks.  I'm almost more intrigued to see Dave in this format than with DMB, because performers have nowhere to hide with acoustic, and that means there'll be more "DM" than "B" to focus on (with Reynolds).   

They're almost like two different acts entirely.  There's a reason why certain DMB songs don't work without the rest of the band, because they're as much the creators as Dave himself...a matter of dynamics.

Others, like Save Me, Sister, Gravedigger, Old Dirt Hill are just great tunes in any setting.

I recommend the D&T: Live at Radio City for pre-listening.  Live at Luther College was good, too but seems a bit dated now to me....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chris Cornell: YMMV : They're almost like two different acts entirely.  There's a reason why certain DMB songs don't work without the rest of the band, because they're as much the creators as Dave himself...a matter of dynamics. Others, like Save Me, Sister, Gravedigger, Old Dirt Hill are just great tunes in any setting. I recommend the D&T: Live at Radio City for pre-listening.  Live at Luther College was good, too but seems a bit dated now to me....

Makes sense.  

Will do, and I'll certainly pass along the suggestion to the friend that's going with me; (similar to me), not a diehard fan by any means, but has always wanted to see a live show.   Tx.