Cowboy Junkies / The Kennedy Suite

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Cowboy Junkies / The Kennedy Suite

Consider this thread a two-fer (of sorts).   

I was a fan of the Cowboy Junkies for a time, in one of my favorite musical decades, the 90's.   Never heard anything like them before, or since; a unique blend if ever there was one; folk, alt rock, country, you can't pin them down.    I also realize that they paved the way for some of my future taste in music.    They've always had somewhat of a cult following in the US, and have been more widely known and popular in their native Canada.    "Sweet Jane" is one of the best covers, of any song, IMO, and even Lou Reed said that their version was the best he'd ever heard; I prefer it to the original VU's, actually.  "Trinity Sessions" is a pretty sweet album. The track, "Misguided Angel" is sheer perfection, for one.    Margo Timmins is an excellent vocalist, one that we rarely mention.   

Weigh in, if you were, or still are, a fan -- or not.  :)

I bring them up also b/c I read that they are participating in an upcoming performance, and will be releasing a recording of, The Kennedy Suite.   The project is to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the assasination of JFK, and is, at least in part, a rock opera.   I could not fully comprehend what it is (other than music ..) to be honest.   It's not clear from the PR.  

What is clear, however, is that the recording will be out November 12th.    The debut performance will be November 22, 2013, in Toronto, at the Winter Garden Theatre.  

At that location, it's just as close for any of us in Boston (if not closer) than it is for Hfx to travel to Toronto,  but regardless, it sounds intriguing.   

http://latentrecordings.com/cowboyjunkies/2013/09/20/the-kennedy-suite-an-introduction/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Cowboy Junkies / The Kennedy Suite

Don't know much about the Cowboy Junkies , although I have heard Sweet Jane, and it's well done...but...

I still prefer the version by Mott The Hoople.

I feel compelled at some point to list a bunch of 90s artists I liked (but haven't listened to much lately) just to see what you and the others think. Many of them didn't get much airplay on radio , or any at all, some are more well known.

I'll put this on the backburner for now...I don't want interfere with your Cowboy Junkies thread.

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."- Lily Tomlin

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Great band.  Their versions of 'Me & The Devil Blues" and "Powderfinger"
    are in my constant rotation...as are "Cold Tea Blues" and "Common Disaster".  Just so cool and sultry...like a shady lounge in the desert.

Stellar live band, too.  If you get the schance to see them, go for it.  They played a free show last year in Portsmouth and killed it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Don't know much about the Cowboy Junkies , although I have heard Sweet Jane, and it's well done...but...

I still prefer the version by Mott The Hoople.

I feel compelled at some point to list a bunch of 90s artists I liked (but haven't listened to much lately) just to see what you and the others think. Many of them didn't get much airplay on radio , or any at all, some are more well known.

I'll put this on the backburner for now...I don't want interfere with your Cowboy Junkies thread.

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."- Lily Tomlin

Just checked out Mott the Hoople's version, and it's damn good.   Still, I prefer the CJ's.   Don't get me wrong, either, I've always loved the original, but was always drawn to the spin the 'Junkies put on it.  

As for a list of 90's artists, put together by you?  Sure, I'd love to see the assortment.   Would make a great jumping off point for a discussion.    We haven't had a thread strictly on that decade in a long time; I'm in.  :)

(NOTE:  No better deal than seeing a band like this free.   I got some good deals over the summer, but it just shows, you have to pay attention.)   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Sounds intriguing.  I've always been very interested in the JFK assassination investigation - the biggest failure of crime investigation in world history.