In response to bombah's comment:

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Add:

"Last Exit" - Pearl Jam - "Vitalogy" (arguable whether it's a great album, but I like it a lot)

"EXP" - Jimi Hendrix Experience - "Axis:Bold As Love"

"Out on the Weekend" - Neil Young - "Harvest"

Not a fan of Out on the Weekend?  One of my favorite Neil tunes on that album for sure. INteresting.

Good choice on Last Exit.

[/QUOTE]

Compared to the rest of Harvest - which isn't even in my top 5 Neil albums - it leaves me somewhat wanting.

Even more so when compared to songs from the same sessions which were left out: "Bad Fog Of Loneliness" and "Journey Through The Past".

I could think of worse opening songs from other albums, but not from especially "great" albums, either.

[/QUOTE]

I am a huge Neil Young fan.But the acoustic version of Hey Hey My My is such a downer I will reach for the remote as fast as I can whether iPod or the radio.

[/QUOTE]

Well, Neil Young was really all about "downers."

That was the man's forte. The great songs of Neil Young are not about happy , loving couples and rainbows.

I am a huge Neil Young fan, admittedly biased....but I will argue with anyone who throws a single stone at Ole Neil.

Ohio....about the Kent State Masscare.

Southern Man...about the south's opression of the Black men and women.

Don't Let It Bring You Down....the ultimate "downer" song , even Neil admits it one the live version from 4Way Street.

Down By The River...."I shot my baby..." no further comment.

Tonight's The Night....about the drug overdose and death of a roadie.

The Needle And The Damage Done.....I think we figured out the meaning before we ever played the song. Pretty depressing stuff....but it needed to be said.

Welfare Mothers...make better lovers......not exactly the stuff Paul Anka , Captain And Tenille were getting to #1 with...is it?

Rust Never Sleeps is a tremendous album. Didn't get Neil on the Grammys or on the Top 40 radio, but Neil was always at his best when the masses ignored him and the Neil Young fans loved the "REAL" Neil, not the Heart Of Gold guy....who was really different than the real Neil Young.....not sure how he came to write that song, or how it became such a big hit. It is far so from his best material. Neil is great when the average pop listener thinks he stinks....his music was really not meant for top 40 radio fare.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: From good to great: great albums with a

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Add:

"Last Exit" - Pearl Jam - "Vitalogy" (arguable whether it's a great album, but I like it a lot)

[/QUOTE]

Not a fan of Out on the Weekend?  One of my favorite Neil tunes on that album for sure. INteresting.

[/QUOTE]

Compared to the rest of Harvest - which isn't even in my top 5 Neil albums - it leaves me somewhat wanting.

Even more so when compared to songs from the same sessions which were left out: "Bad Fog Of Loneliness" and "Journey Through The Past".

I could think of worse opening songs from other albums, but not from especially "great" albums, either.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting.  Yeah, Harvest may not make my top 5 either, but I always dug the imagery of that tune.  It reminds me of my 20s after college when you move to a new city and have no money, etc.

I am still struggling thinking of a great album with a meh opener. I am not sure if it really exists.

The hallmark of a great album is usually a great opener. I've racked my brain with all of my favorite bands.  

Now that I think of it, Box of Rain with Phil Lesh on vocals (American Beauty) would be a choice for me.  Operator is the turd of the album, but I also don't take it as seriously since it's just a bone for Pigppen.

But, Jerry would sound way better on Box of Rain than the droaning Lesh vocal on it.

[/QUOTE]

I can agree with that re: American Beauty in spite of the brilliance of the song itself.

But then we're in Dead studio album territory, and most bets are off.

[P.S. Listening to an entire GD show right now...Capitol Theater 1970...!  :))  ]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Add:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am a huge Neil Young fan.But the acoustic version of Hey Hey My My is such a downer I will reach for the remote as fast as I can whether iPod or the radio.

[/QUOTE]

That was the man's forte. The great songs of Neil Young are not about happy , loving couples and rainbows.

I am a huge Neil Young fan, admittedly biased....but I will argue with anyone who throws a single stone at Ole Neil.

Don't Let It Bring You Down....the ultimate "downer" song , even Neil admits it one the live version from 4Way Street.

The Needle And The Damage Done.....I think we figured out the meaning before we ever played the song. Pretty depressing stuff....but it needed to be said.

Welfare Mothers...make better lovers......not exactly the stuff Paul Anka , Captain And Tenille were getting to #1 with...is it?

Rust Never Sleeps is a tremendous album. Didn't get Neil on the Grammys or on the Top 40 radio, but Neil was always at his best when the masses ignored him and the Neil Young fans loved the "REAL" Neil, not the Heart Of Gold guy....who was really different than the real Neil Young.....not sure how he came to write that song, or how it became such a big hit. It is far so from his best material. Neil is great when the average pop listener thinks he stinks....his music was really not meant for top 40 radio fare.

[/QUOTE]

I just read his sorta autobiography this past year [Waging Heavy Peace].

Highly recommended.  It's alternately insightful, cryptic, personal and rambling - just like the man himself.  The story of those sessions in Nashville is classic Neil.  Even he seemed a bit taken aback by the success of 'Heart of Gold' and 'Old Man'.

As far as the slower stuff, few artists can play solo, stripped down with such power and grace.  Live at Massey Hall 1970 is a revelatory set...triumphant, passionate and raw.  To me, that Neil is somewhat different than his well-known country-folk side.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Add:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I just read his sorta autobiography this past year [Waging Heavy Peace].

Highly recommended.  It's alternately insightful, cryptic, personal and rambling - just like the man himself.  The story of those sessions in Nashville is classic Neil.  Even he seemed a bit taken aback by the success of 'Heart of Gold' and 'Old Man'.

As far as the slower stuff, few artists can play solo, stripped down with such power and grace.  Live at Massey Hall 1970 is a revelatory set...triumphant, passionate and raw.  To me, that Neil is somewhat different than his well-known country-folk side.

[/QUOTE]

Neil Young, like David Bowie is a bit of a chameleon. Only truly talented people can pull this off.

Neil Young could play soft country songs, powerful hard rock or alternative style....among other styles.