General catch-all music discussion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

General catch-all music discussion

Anything and everything, folks.  Why not?

A couple of nights ago my wife and I watched a new rockumentary on the Foo Fighters called Back and Forth.  We both enjoyed it very much.  All of the band members past and present come across as decent, likable, honest guys who are in it mostly for the music.  It gives a nice little history of the band and their albums, and it's loaded with good clips of live performances.  It begins, naturally, with a brief history of Nirvana and the aftermath of Cobain's suicide.  I have never been a huge fan of either Nirvana or the Foos, but after watching this my opinion of Dave Grohl increased considerably.  You have to give the man credit for transforming himself from the drummer of one of the most popular bands in the world, to the singer, writer and guitarist of an entirely new and different band, and making it work.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: General catch-all music discussion

Has anybody ever heard of a gong called Short Skirt, Long Jacket by Cake?  It's a song that gets played 'every once in a while' on my local rock station.  I just heard it again recently.  I love the lyrics to this song.  It's about a dream girl, but not the typical dream girl of popular music.

I want a girl who gets up early
    I want a girl who stays up late
    I want a girl with uninterrupted prosperity
    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
    With fingernails that shine like justice
    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

She is fast and thorough
    And sharp as a tack
    She's touring the facility
    And picking up slack

I want a girl with a short skirt and a lonnnnng.... lonnng jacket

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

My local rock station Q104 is having one of their 'poll weekends'...this one is the 'Top 104 Albums of All Time'.  They do these things every few years.  The last time they did this I think #1 was The Wall.  And the last time they did the Top Bands, #1 was AC/DC.  When I get the final list I'm sure some of the results will be humorously wrong...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The 2013 nominations for the R and R Hall of Fame are out.  Rush is nominated for the first time, and lo and behold, so is...can you believe it...Deep Purple.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Has anybody ever heard of a song called Short Skirt, Long Jacket by Cake?  It's a song that gets played 'every once in a while' on my local rock station.  I just heard it again recently.  I love the lyrics to this song.  It's about a dream girl, but not the typical dream girl of popular music.  I want a girl who gets up early I want a girl who stays up late  I want a girl with uninterrupted prosperity Who uses a machete to cut through red tape

Of course, that song by Cake is a corker.   And the "typical dream girl" (or man) does include more than just hot looks, you know.   The song lyrics have insight.   :D

We had a thread on Cake a while back (long while); fantastic band.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Sad news.

Raylene Rankin, treasured singer from Cape Breton and a member of the group, the Rankin Family, died last week of cancer.  

I will make a post in her honor tomorrow when I have more time.   I heard the news when I was listening to a Celtic Sojourn yesterday, following the song, "Fare Thee Well Love" which is a breathtakingly beautiful song, now a classic, from one of the Rankin's older albums.  

ALSO, re: Foo Fighters.  A close friend of mine went to Lollapalooza last year (2011) and saw them; the weather was perfect for the first two days, but on the third day, the sky opened up and it was pouring when they took the stage.   She said regardless of the covering over the stage, rain was splashing and drenching the stage and the band, yet they played like nothing was happening.   Dave Grohl was more than happy to throw out a few "we won't let some f****** rain hold us up" and they played their a s s es off.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Hey, I got yogafriend posting on the weekend...I knew this thread was a good idea. :-) 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Dave Grohl actually says at the end of the film, if he had known the band was going to be successful and stay around so long, he would have thought of a better name for it, because it's a terrible name.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I heard a hot new blues-rock song the other night.  The lead singer's banshee wail and the guitar sound made me think it must be Jack White, but no, it was a relatively new band called Rival Sons.  The song is called Pressure and Time.  Pretty Zeppelin-y...with a riff that sticks in your head.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yea.

"Rush's sales statistics place them third behind The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for the most consecutive gold or platinum studio albums by a rock band"

[/QUOTE]

Yup. Nominations for Rush and Deep Purple are long overdue.

One other really interesting music item this week is the rumored Smiths Glastonbury reunion. I for one would like to see it, but Morrissey has been on record many times saying that it will never happen, and that a Smiths reunion would seem like a "shabby nostalgia act and money grab."  I don't know about that, and their are certainly many people who would shell out big bucks to hear them again. But It is probably wishful thinking --  then again, don't count it out, as we discussed, Morrissey will be (cough) retiring at the end of his current tour, and maybe one more shot at glory with Marr is in the works.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Yogafriend wrote: 

Sad news.

Raylene Rankin, treasured singer from Cape Breton and a member of the group, the Rankin Family, died last week of cancer.

I will make a post in her honor tomorrow when I have more time. I heard the news when I was listening to a Celtic Sojourn yesterday, following the song, "Fare Thee Well Love" which is a breathtakingly beautiful song, now a classic, from one of the Rankin's older albums

Thank you for posting this. I am a fan of the Rankin family.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

You guys are way too old. Ive never heard of half these bands so it like impossible to know what your talkin about. Theres gotta be someone on here thats into metal, Now thats something i can talk about.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You guys are way too old. Ive never heard of half these bands so it like impossible to know what your talkin about. Theres gotta be someone on here thats into metal, Now thats something i can talk about.

[/QUOTE]

I'm deep into classic metal.  Anything heavier than Metallica, I can't help you with.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

HFX,I've seen that documentary for the Foo Fighters.Excellent show!!Palladia has been showing  "Back and Forth"and a 2008 Foo Fighters concert from Wembley Stadium.During that concert,John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page join the Foo Fighters for a pretty good version of "Rock and Roll" with Grohl on the drums.He's an incredibly gifted musician.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa4QPznrFUw&feature=related

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You guys are way too old. Ive never heard of half these bands so it like impossible to know what your talkin about. Theres gotta be someone on here thats into metal, Now thats something i can talk about

[/QUOTE]

I'm deep into classic metal.  Anything heavier than Metallica, I can't help you with.

[/QUOTE]

Im into The usual older metal bands like Iron maiden,Megadeth,Meshuggah, and older Pre Black album Metallica. I love Dave Mestaine, I wish he hadnt left Metallica but we got megadeth out of it. Damn James Hetfield!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Im into The usual older metal bands like Iron maiden,Megadeth,Meshuggah, and older Pre Black album Metallica. I love Dave Mestaine, I wish he hadnt left Metallica but we got megadeth out of it. Damn James Hetfield!!!

[/QUOTE]

In truth I'm not a big Metallica fan, but I do like some of their stuff.  Love their re-make of Whiskey In the Jar.

I was a fan of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, but especially Black Sabbath.  When it comes to the really heavy stuff, I think Sabbath were the best. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Rascals have reunited - yeah!

Plenty of Metalheads and Hard Rock fans here. Bring up a conversation and we will chat.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In truth I'm not a big Metallica fan, but I do like some of their stuff.  Love their re-make of Whiskey In the Jar.

I was a fan of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, but especially Black Sabbath.  When it comes to the really heavy stuff, I think Sabbath were the best. 

[/QUOTE]

Id have to disagree i think metallica ruined whiskey in a jar, Bob seagers version is much better.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Id have to disagree i think metallica ruined whiskey in a jar, Bob seagers version is much better.

[/QUOTE]

I think you mean Turn the Page.  Metallica did a re-make of that song too.  Bob Seger didn't do Whiskey in the Jar.   It was done by Thin Lizzy. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

RnRHOF.........but no J. Geils.......