Good/Bad/Oddest Collaberations From Different Genres and/or Generations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Good/Bad/Oddest Collaberations From Different Genres and/or Generations

This is a wide umbrella but there have been some interesting/odd collabertions over the years in the world of music. And by collaberations, it could mean working on an album or song together or performing together at a special event or whatever.

Some picks

David Bowie/Bing Crosby -- They had that great collabertion on Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth back in the '70s. 

Def Leppard/Taylor Swift -- Came across some YouTube videos of them, and while Swift doesn't have a power rock voice, her collaberation with Def Leppard on "Pour Some Sugar on Me" was decent. It was fun. There was an accoustic song that was better. All in all, I was impressed.

Martina McBride/Pat Benatar -- Saw McBride perform "Promises in the Dark" on some country music show a few years back, and Benatar came out and joined her on the song. Excellent job. McBride has a powerful voice that would work fine on rock songs.

Aerosmith/Britney Spears -- they did something together at the Super Bowl a few years back. Not good. Spears has her pop niche, which is fine, but her voice was definitely out of place.

What are some others?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Good/Bad/Oddest Collaberations From Different Genres and/or Generations

Walk this way - Aerosmith and Run DMC

It's a man's world - Luciano Pavarotti and James Brown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rCd5uGaM8s&feature=player_embedded

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Anthrax and Public Enemy.

Great collaborations: Bowie and Queen "Under Pressure"; Bowie and Lennon "Fame".

Robin Zander  of Cheap Trick contributed vocal tracks to Motley Crue's "She Goes Down" - excellent.

And the greatest collaboration of all - Bob Dylan and The Band.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Def Leppard/Taylor Swift -- Came across some YouTube videos of them, and while Swift doesn't have a power rock voice, her collaberation with Def Leppard on "Pour Some Sugar on Me" was decent. It was fun. There was an accoustic song that was better. All in all, I was impressed.

Sorry, Roy, but that is a bizarre matchup.  Hope that was a one-off.   :)

Joan Jett and Miley Cyrus --  Truly hideous.  Cyrus should not be on the same stage as Jett, and that's putting it mildly.   (Cyrus should not be on any stage, for that matter).  

Alicia Keys and Jay Z - ""Empire State of Mind"  (perfection)

Billy Bragg and Wilco - "Mermaid Avenue" (album of previously unrecorded Woody Guthrie songs) 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Here's a link of them doing "Photograph."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-9V4mfWAWk

It's surprisingly good. It's funny reading the comments in which Def Leppard fans rip her for performing with them. But obviously, they think enough of her to perform with her and respect her talent.

She really doesn't have a power rock voice, but she respectable and it looks like they're all having fun. If Swift fans watched it, they see a group they likely were never exposed to and vice versa. To me, that's a good thing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

Anthrax and Public Enemy.

There was obvious chemistry here between the two groups, but it was so good that it partly inspired/birthed the 90s nugget known as the Judgment Night Soundtrack.

Each song was a collab between a rap and rock act, with mostly good results.  To wit:

Sonic Youth / Cypress Hill - "I Love You Mary Jane"

Slayer / Ice-T - "Disorder" [Ice-T, of course, had his own metal band, Body Count]

Teenage Fanclub / De La Soul - "Fallin"

Biohazard / Onyx - "Judgment Night", etc.

Dinosaur Jr. / Del Tha Funky Homosapien - Missing Link

Living Colour / Run D.M.C. - My, Myself & My Microphone [tongue-in-cheek, eh]

Aside: I recently saw Kanye West on SNL, and the wife and I both swear buckets the track he was using was by Ministry, but I can't confirm this.  Either way, it was better rap-rock than I've heard in a while.

But my fave collaboration will ALWAYS be:

Neil Young and Crazy Horse

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Barack Obama singing with Mick Jagger.

Barack Obama singing with B.B.King.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Considering the E Street Band were not inducted into the Hall, I no longer consider them Bruce's band.

Therefore, out of respect for the band, I will include Bruce and the boys even though I detest Bruce.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Let's not forget the Supergroups:

CSN & Y

Blindfaith

Lords of the New Church (Punk Supergroup)

And at least a dozen others.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

One of my favorites,The Dirty Mac featuring John Lennon,Eric Clapton,Keith Richards and Mitch Mitchell:

http://vimeo.com/35552315

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

It's surprisingly good. It's funny reading the comments in which Def Leppard fans rip her for performing with them. But obviously, they think enough of her to perform with her and respect her talent.

She really doesn't have a power rock voice, but she respectable and it looks like they're all having fun. If Swift fans watched it, they see a group they likely were never exposed to and vice versa. To me, that's a good thing.

In the first song Taylor and Def do(pour some sugar on me), Notice how Taylor just whipps her guiatar across the stage...  Who in the world treats a guitar like that??? Either you take care of your guitar like it's a little baby or you smash it on stage for a reaction from the crowd. Taylor should be charged with guitar abuse.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Well, I stand corrected based on the idea you said "BAD or ODD / different generations" -- so this was bad and ODD / different generations, rolled into one.   I love the song "Photograph" so maybe I am more picky.  :)

Aside from that, I agree fully that if some TS fans made a discovery of an older RnR group because of this,  that's a very good thing.   It's lots of fun to see unlikely artists get together, especially when you can see they are having a great time together.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Let's not forget the Supergroups:

CSN & Y

Blindfaith

Lords of the New Church (Punk Supergroup)

And at least a dozen others.

This isn't really what I was looking for.

I'm looking for the collaberations between performers of different genres of music primarily and secondarily, different generations even if it was in the same genre (say, some 50-plus rocker working with a 20-somethign rocker) or both.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Well, I stand corrected based on the idea you said "BAD or ODD / different generations" -- so this was bad and ODD / different generations, rolled into one.   I love the song "Photograph" so maybe I am more picky.  :)

Aside from that, I agree fully that if some TS fans made a discovery of an older RnR group because of this,  that's a very good thing.   It's lots of fun to see unlikely artists get together, especially when you can see they are having a great time together.   

Well it was an odd collaberation. Whether you think it was good or bad is simply personal preference.

I think I'm OK with the results because my expectations were low, so it easily surpassed my expectations.

Plus, I'm not really a fan of her music, but I do respect Taylor Swift. Many of the female pop stars today prance around half dressed and seem to focus on the production and first and the music is secondary. They just seem to be a packaged product to make money.

With Swift, she plays guitar, writes her own music, and with her it seems that the music is first and she doesn't come across as some packaged product. So that I can respect.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

I dont know why it didnt click before now, but five finger death punch just put out a song featuring Rob Halford and it's really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-2yuGgp_U8

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Roger Gilmore with Crosby, Stills and Nash

Johnny Cash with Rick Ruben and Trent Reznor

Queen and Joan Armatrading

Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballé

Pavarotti and "friends"

Todd Rundergren and The Cars

Natalie Cole and her dead Dad (creepy!)

Rush with Aimee Mann.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Did Pavarotti collaborate with Tom Jones or some other pop star? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The the oddest & worst collaboration would be the redo of Kashmir for the Godzilla movie with P. Diddy reworking the lyrics and Page joining him to rerecord it.

Horrible.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The the oddest & worst collaboration would be the redo of Kashmir for the Godzilla movie with P. Diddy reworking the lyrics and Page joining him to rerecord it.

Horrible.

Really?  I kind of liked that one.  Diddy is a fair rapper at best, but Page's licks were great.  Hardly the first (or worst) sampling of Led Zep in a rap song, IMO.  Tom Morello played on it, too.

The Beasties' "She's Crafty" uses the riff from "The Ocean" to good effect.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to cavaliersfan's comment:

Did Pavarotti collaborate with Tom Jones or some other pop star? 

To answer your question........yes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOXLgBmvJNo

Bryan Adams, Elton John, Bon Jovi, Maria Carey, Celine Dion, Eric Clapton, Sheryl Crow, Lionel Ritchie and Eurythmics......too

CD (Vol1) Sting, The Neville Brothers, Suzanne Vega, Mike Oldfield, Zucchero, Brian May, Bob Geldoff, Patricia Kaas

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Bon Jovi and Bill Belichick Tongue Out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzbMP7pLRkA