Great guitars and the stories behind them

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Great guitars and the stories behind them

I thought this article/slideshow was pretty interesting.It's about the guitars of rock stars like Slash,Clapton,etc.. and the stories behind them.Here's a link :

http://music.yahoo.com/photos/guitars-1380753410-slideshow/

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Great guitars and the stories behind them

Of course the most well known guitars with a name is B.B. King's "Lucille"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y8QxOjuYHg

"Another day closer to the parade"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Neil Young has much affection for "Old Black" - a 1953 Gibson Les Paul - and wrote about it at length in his book.  His sound with Crazy Horse just wouldn't be the same without it.

http://neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org/2010/08/anatomy-of-neil-youngs-old-black-guitar.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Brian May still uses the guitar he and his Father built when he was a kid - 100 year old fireplace mantle, parts of a motorcycle and some old mother of pearl buttons for the neck..."the Red Special".

True story - Brian May was invited to play at a club with Les Paul. Brian wanted to talk about the making of his guitar - Les Paul had no interest!

But here's a great vid of Jack White making a guitar from the movie "It Might Get Loud"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnsQRpgYmaE

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Heh. Slash put an offer to purchase back his guitar from the early-mid gn'r days on his website....   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

"So Clapton once had 107 guitars.  Nobody needs that many. Nobody needs half that number. Not Clapton, not Jeff Beck. "

While I agree no one needs 107 guitars,he probably was collecting them as 1 of his passions.Look at Jay Leno,he has 190 vehicles.Does he need them all?Absolutely not,but vehicles are his passion and I'm sure he values his collection as more than transportation units.

Others have their collections too.I'm sure there's people on this fourm who have album/CD collections.I have a pretty good sports collection too.Do I NEED all the sports items I have?No,but I enjoy collecting them and when I find something rare or unusual,I feel pretty good about it.A sense of pride in my collection you might say.I like the history of baseball so I collect those items pertaining to it.

People enjoy collecting things including coins,stamps among other things.Whatever turns them on.Given that he's one of the greatest guitarists of all time,guitars make perfect sense as a collectible for Clapton.

"Another day closer to the parade"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

[QUOTE]Brian May still uses the guitar he and his Father built when he was a kid - 100 year old fireplace mantle, parts of a motorcycle and some old mother of pearl buttons for the neck..."the Red Special".

[/QUOTE]

Right.  It was the second guitar of the slide show.

So Clapton once had 107 guitars.  Nobody needs that many. Nobody needs half that number. Not Clapton, not Jeff Beck. 

My personal favorite didn't make the cut.  It was that aqua blue one, with the tag still on it, that Nigel Tufnel kept in his guitar room.  But that's okay, we're not supposed to look at it. We're not even supposed to point at it, so I imagine he'd completely lose it if someone created a hyperlink to it.

[/QUOTE]

That's like Angus Young having 107 when he never changes what he uses. Makes no sense.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Harvey.  It makes total sense to me.  If Angus Young has a specific guitar that makes exactly the right sound he wants for his band....surely that doesn't mean he can't have other gits at home he plays for pleasure....or maybe he just loves music and guitars?  

I have lots of friends that work daily to feed their family - as most of us do - that have 5-10-15 guitars, even more.  One of my favourite 2-3 guitarists in the world is an unknown (to most) musician in Japan (comically, his wife's real name is Yoko Ono).  

I've posted this before;  he bought a Vox Starstream a few years ago and was so excited he posted a video showing off its effects.  Dig:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWC1uzg-Yr0

I bet Angus Young will appreciate it...time will tell.  ;-)))