Happy Birthday, Jerry Garcia

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Happy Birthday, Jerry Garcia

The legendary Jerry Garcia (August 1, 1942 - August 9. 1995) would have been 70 years old today.   Better to celebrate the date of his birth, than the date of his death, just a few days from now.  I'm sure many Dead fans still mourn his passing.

There's probably more trivia about the GD and Jerry Garcia than any band in history, or at least as much as any band in history (the Beatles must be Number 1, in this regard ...).  I was just reading that Jerry's two guitars, sold at auction ten years ago, fetched the highest prices of any two musical instruments in history, setting world's records.

The two guitars had names.  Anyone know what the names of the two guitars?

RIP, Jerry.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: Happy Birthday, Jerry Garcia

Not too many musicians can claim they invented a guitar style that would be copied by many, yet never fully duplicated. He can. Each note he played is still being dissected today. Easily one of the 10 most influential musicians of the rock era.

As for his guitars they were named after a big cat, and a big lizard.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Hear, Hear.

I've been to a few birthday tribute parties for Jerry, and they're always bittersweet affairs - the best are when everyone steps up and offers a prayer or anecdote about how he touched their lives.

The only other experience that came close for me was the tribute/wake for legendary poet (and personal hero) Allen Ginsberg.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Happy Birthday, Jerry Garcia:
    [QUOTE]Not too many musicians can claim they invented a guitar style that would be copied by many, yet never fully duplicated. He can. Each note he played is still being dissected today. Easily one of the 10 most influential musicians of the rock era. As for his guitars they were named after a big cat, and a big lizard.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

Great pics.  :D  

I know you're right about the lizard, but the guitar in question, other than Tiger, which is clear from the pic (all ridiculously famous guitars) isn't in the lizard family.   The guitar that was part of the auction was his third custom guitar.  Do you know that one?  

Never knew Garcia owned so many guitars -- and were either named by him or the person who made them.    Details only an expert can appreciate.  :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Happy Birthday, Jerry Garcia : Great pics.  :D   I know you're right about the lizard, but the guitar in question, other than Tiger, which is clear from the pic (all ridiculously famous guitars) isn't in the lizard family.   The guitar that was part of the auction was his third custom guitar.  Do you know that one?   Never knew Garcia owned so many guitars -- and were either named by him or the person who made them.    Details only an expert can appreciate.  :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Dire Wolf??? Or

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Happy Birthday, Jerry Garcia : He actually had more than the 2, but I get your point. Tiger and Wolf.  Would love to own either one. I am sort of partial to Tiger. The other one he had a name for was Alligator and it was used very briefly in the early 70s.  The Travis Bean custom one was a nice choice for him as well, once he broke away from the Strats. RIP, indeed. I still get off on hearing his phrasing within that great tone he had. The master of melody with the solos.  The simple changes from show to show that he'd do are so rewarding. I love how he waits on the notes, not rushing. Even he missed, he'd make up for it on the next bar.  The unassuming, subtle style was all his.  Also, loved his use of the envelope filter which is that wah-wah thing he'd use which he basically copped from Stevie Wonder, I suppose.  Sounds like a tennis ball being hit in a tunnel on nitrous. haah
    Posted by CliffordWasHere[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was just driving at the two custom guitars that went to auction and set records for the highest selling prices in history.  

BTW, since you have an affinity to Tiger, how's this for blending your sports and music knowledge: Tiger is in the private collection of Jim Irsay, owner of the Colts.  Must have wanted it real bad since he paid close to a million $$ for it ($957,500).   

I like reading the quirky facts and memories everyone has about Jerry Garcia.  So nice.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombah. Show bombah's posts

I remember when Jerry Garcia died.Kurt Loder was interviewing Robert Hunter and someone else from The Dead and stated "Yeah We are going to checkout the stiff tonight." That has stuck with me since.He said it so as a matter of fact.

Sorry for grammar spelling @work

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]My favorite Jerry moment was reading an interview with Mountain Girl where she was saying what a crappy husband he was.  As an example, he would never wash dishes,  because he said it would soften his fingertips.  She was ticked at herself for buying that at the time.  
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

What?  I'd believe that, too.  :P    

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I remember when Jerry Garcia died.Kurt Loder was interviewing Robert Hunter and someone else from The Dead and stated "Yeah We are going to checkout the stiff tonight." That has stuck with me since.He said it so as a matter of fact. Sorry for grammar spelling @work
    Posted by bombah[/QUOTE]

That's blunt, alright.  Laughing MAO.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I saw the Dead on Jerry's 40th birthday.  Down in Austin, TX at Manor Downs.  Best time I ever had.  They had a small fireworks display during the drums - or at least I thought it was a fireworks display. 

They went from Jam - /> Uncle John's Band -> Truckin  It was a great version of Uncle John's Band.  The song had so much drama that night.  They cut the last verse and just played.  It just got better and better, but then they took a turn and it seemed like they'd played themselves into a deadend, and then all of a sudden Garcia started playing the opening licks to Truckin'.

Oh, and a great, great "Lil Red Rooster" and a phenomenal "It's all over Now" in the first set.  The "Bird Song and Candyman were pretty good as well, and don't forget the "Music Never Stopped".

What a great show.  Scary that it was 30 years ago - more than 1/2 a lifetime ago.  remember it like it was yesterday.  The vibe after the show was so cool.

Tiger was my favorite guitar.  Loved the sound it produced.

I thought one of the founders of Microsoft bought one of his guitars.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.