Heartless Bastards ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Heartless Bastards ...

Hmm ... wonder if that will pass the censor test.

I'm admittedly about a year behind the times when it comes to music, and I just recently discovered these guys. Very much like their latest, Arrow. Erika Wennerstrom has a terrific rock and roll voice.

Was wondering if anyone else has gotten into them. Yogafriend, you're my guru on the more modern stuff.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Heartless Bastards ...

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Hmm ... wonder if that will pass the censor test.

I'm admittedly about a year behind the times when it comes to music, and I just recently discovered these guys. Very much like their latest, Arrow. Erika Wennerstrom has a terrific rock and roll voice.

Was wondering if anyone else has gotten into them. Yogafriend, you're my guru on the more modern stuff.

Hey Lloyd -- thanks.  Not sure I'm any more of a "guru" than some of our other esteemed forum members, but I have tried to spotlight some of the current / modern bands in my threads, and always get something in return / feedback.    Many, (MANY) bands that are recently on my radar, were actually founded 10, 20, and even 30 years ago, but because they have never been particularly mainstream, easily slip under the radar.  

Based on your taste, I can see why you'd be drawn to Wennerstrom's voice for sure -- and her overall talent.   

As for the Bastards (nice to know BDC knows that's not a naughty word) -- they are growing on me.   Their most recent album is the one that put them on my radar, and also, comments from other forum members.    It appears they had more local / regional success before going national.  As we are still lucky to have a few decent radio stations in metro-Boston, I began to hear them on WERS (Emerson College's radio station) about a year ago or so. 

I know there are a couple of true fans of the HB's on the forum ... they'll chime in when they see this post, I'm sure.

How / where did you hear their music?    It's nice to see you've come across some new/ current music in recent months to enhance your playlists.   :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I work a lot from home, and  occasiaonally I listen to the "adult alternative" channel on our cable. I heard the Bastards' song "Parted Ways" and immediately liked it. My first reaction was that they sound a little like the Black Keys. Then I read where she and Dan Auerbach are pals.

Kind of an unsual year for me in that I've bought three new-ish albums in the last two months.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I work a lot from home, and  occasiaonally I listen to the "adult alternative" channel on our cable. I heard the Bastards' song "Parted Ways" and immediately liked it. My first reaction was that they sound a little like the Black Keys. Then I read where she and Dan Auerbach are pals.

Kind of an unsual year for me in that I've bought three new-ish albums in the last two months.

Likewise, I heard that song a little over a year ago and went out and bought the album post-haste (though I had heard of them before through ACL).  "Arrow" made both my mid- and end-year lists for 2012, and I've written about them here a few times.

Their show at the Royale last fall was both bright and ballsy, and they continue to impress...going to Atlanta next month to see them again, in fact.

(FWIW, this is the band I shove toward anyone professing devotion to Alabama Shakes...better songs...better leads.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Likewise, I heard that song a little over a year ago and went out and bought the album post-haste (though I had heard of them before through ACL).  "Arrow" made both my mid- and end-year lists for 2012, and I've written about them here a few times.

Their show at the Royale last fall was both bright and ballsy, and they continue to impress...going to Atlanta next month to see them again, in fact.

(FWIW, this is the band I shove toward anyone professing devotion to Alabama Shakes...better songs...better leads.)

I like both very much, actually.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I can relate to "connecting the dots" and finding out that a band or singer that I discover has a connection to another band that I like, or has a similar style.   I'm in the "if you like band x, you may like band y" category for sure.

Yeah, you've been dropping by lately and reported on the newish bands you're into, and that's great.    The Alabama Shakes similarity is easy to see with the Bastards, but the Bastards are more "alt" IMO, if that makes any sense; it's very easy to understand why both bands have caught your attention.    Either way, it's refreshing to invite new music into your listening sphere, especially after a dry spell.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Nahhh....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvAA36bbr4Q