Hi Yoga!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Hi Yoga!

Got a few new bands for you to listen to, please keep sending me some too:

• Scum Bugs (Norway) - by far my favourite new band of the year.  Knew of them, but about 2 seconds (literally) into their first song I (at the bar) nearly suffered whiplash.   Then 40 minutes of ultra fun and joy.....then 45 minutes of giving them (extremely nice guys) stuff, then 5 hours at http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/ye-olde-axe-london .  Hand-on-heart, it was one of the best nights out I've had all year.  Sounds like?:  sort of like the Mummies, but Waaayyy less lo-fi......LP out on Screaming Apple soon.  If Ritchie wasn't a mate we'd poach them, but they and we cool!....but a couple more hours at the Axe....;-)
    • Dead Moon (London) - Most surprising new band of the year for me, so far.  I generally despite Psyche...but as I think I've posted before, my favourite historic album this year is Easter Everywhere.  Ok, so there's EE, Syd Barrett.....I also despise "lounge music".....slow death. But there are a few....don't know enough about the genre to explain it properly...."Southwest Deserty stoner stuff!!!!!t (joke)"....my favourite is called "The Friends of Dean Martinez". Dead Moon really caught my attention.

That's it for now hun, what you got?  X

Re "Stuff*&^%(*&!!!!!!t"....any of you ever buy the Geordie magazine "Viz"?  IMO, the most stupid, inappropriate, outrageous, filthy, sexist, racist, homophobic, abomination imaginable.....but, not for the first time, they have achieved a new, disgusting, outrageous, irrestistably hilarious low....Flyin Brian got an advance issue the other day, rang me...and about 5 of us spat out everything we'd eaten/drank since 1979. It is soooo bad.

But I'm Good (believe it or not)!  x

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Hi Yoga!

Sonics, m'love.

Ohhhh, thanks for all the shiny new music to check out.   I've had the good fortune of being treated with kindness in the last two days, and this makes the third.    =)

I'll get back to you on this.   So nice to have a thread with my name on it.  Lovely, really.   I'll have to think of some new-(ish)music that you might like.  Know what?  Even if you don't like it, I won't be at all offended if you think it's rubbish.   

The thing for me is that I love very long songs that drone on and on.   That's not the only type I like, of course, but  that category is the polar opposite of your taste.     This I know. 

Hope to return to this thread after I have a chance to check out the vibes you mentioned and share something with you.   Check in  later.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

• Scum Bugs (Norway) - by far my favourite new band of the year.  Knew of them, but about 2 seconds (literally) into their first song I (at the bar) nearly suffered whiplash.   Then 40 minutes of ultra fun and joy.....then 45 minutes of giving them (extremely nice guys) stuff, then 5 hours at http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/ye-olde-axe-london .  Hand-on-heart, it was one of the best nights out I've had all year.  Sounds like?:  sort of like the Mummies, but Waaayyy less lo-fi......LP out on Screaming Apple soon.  If Ritchie wasn't a mate we'd poach them, but they and we cool!....but a couple more hours at the Axe....;-)
    • Dead Moon (London) - Most surprising new band of the year for me, so far.  I generally despite Psyche...but as I think I've posted before, my favourite historic album this year is Easter Everywhere.  Ok, so there's EE, Syd Barrett.....I also despise "lounge music".....slow death. But there are a few....don't know enough about the genre to explain it properly...."Southwest Deserty stoner stuff!!!!!t (joke)"....my favourite is called "The Friends of Dean Martinez". Dead Moon really caught my attention.

Re "Stuff*&^%(*&!!!!!!t"....any of you ever buy the Geordie magazine "Viz"?  IMO, the most stupid, inappropriate, outrageous, filthy, sexist, racist, homophobic, abomination imaginable.....but, not for the first time, they have achieved a new, disgusting, outrageous, irrestistably hilarious low....Flyin Brian got an advance issue the other day, rang me...and about 5 of us spat out everything we'd eaten/drank since 1979. It is soooo bad.

[/QUOTE]

Just out of complete curiousity, but are you from the United States? Do you listen to anything besides new music or punk?  

Like, what is in your music collection in general? I am seriously curious.  You seem to be very interested in namedropping bands from Europe that probably aren't very good, just to make it seem like you are on some cutting edge. I've actually looked at some of the stuff you've suggested and realized that I would happily pay $50 to keep you away from a satellite jukebox in a bar all night. heh

You were born here, now type/speak like you're from England and are obsessed with bad, forced and orchestrated English music exclusively because you now live there?   Really odd.

I just don't get your sales pitch.   The bands you list are bands that are club bands that no one knows because, no one cares about gimmicks or trendy music who is into music. Tey want something a bit more real unless you're a teenager or have no taste at all. 

England tries to put out bands every decade and they dribble out a couple good ones in those 10 years, but gimmicks don't fly here very well. You act like everything going on in Europe is incredible. I can tell ya right now, it ain't.   

If there is one thing I hate about music post 1960s is the idea that gimmicks and trends means something is good. Nope.

I am honestly not trying to crap on your thread because I can see there is some excitement in your posts, but you post a lot about these weird, quirky bands that all sound the same or use some kind of a gimmick. Do you listen to anything else?

Like, what is "Psyche" or "Slow Death"?    What does that even mean?

Also, what music did you grow up on?   How old are you? I am seriously just curious.   You seem to be this hardcore punk person who just is running from anything organic and looking for anything quirky, trendy in Europe or just plain not good. lmao

Please don't respond with some odd stream of consciousness either because I can't be the only person here wondering what on earth it is the language you use. Try to be a real human in discussing for once.  lol

[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just out of complete curiousity, but are you from the United States? I am.  Born in the Boston area in 1961, emigrated in 1989. Not sure why that matters, though. Do you listen to anything besides new music or punk?  I largely listen to new music, unsure why that might be perceived as a bad thing.  Also unsure why you seem to think I'm some arch-Punk.  I am not.

Like, what is in your music collection in general? I am seriously curious.  I have a very large number of records.....many thousands.  Roughly evenly split between LPs and 7".  I also have a thing for 10". Probably have only around 500 CDs....I only buy them when a band's album isn't available on vinyl.  I probably have every album by the Stones, Beatles, Kinks, CCR, Doors, etc....plus many of their singles if that matters to you.  I even have a Beatles 78, one of my favourite records.  You seem to be very interested in name  bands from Europe that probably aren't very good, just to make it seem like you are on some cutting edge. Rude, unfair and unkind.  I'm not "name dropping", I'm not "cutting edge", I'm just very interested in music and like the community here, a lot.  I like most of the people here, and think it might be appreciated by some if I suggest bands they might not otherwise hear.  I often listen to people's suggestions here.  I've actually looked at some of the stuff you've suggested and realized that I would happily pay $50 to keep you away from a satellite jukebox in a bar all night. heh  

You were born here, now type/speak like you're from England (you've heard me speak?) and are obsessed with bad, forced and orchestrated English music exclusively because you now live there?   Really odd. I think it's odd that you are behaving so aggressively toward me.  "Bad"?  Isn't that a value judgement?  "Forced and orchestrated"? That's absurd, it's exactly the opposite i.e. it's simple, primitive music I generally like. "English music"?  Again, absurd, I have no interest in the country of origin of bands....in fact most of my favourite bands are from the States, Continental Europe, Australia and Japan.

I just don't get your sales pitch.  There is no sales pitch....I just love music.  The bands you list are bands that are club bands Absurd, though there is nothing wrong with many "club bands" that no one i.e. you knows because, no one cares about gimmicks or trendy music who is into music. So you're saying the music you think I like is both unknown and trendy.  Isn't that oxymoronic? Tey want something a bit more real unless you're a teenager or have no taste at all.  That's sad.

England tries to put out bands every decade and they dribble out a couple good ones in those 10 years, but gimmicks don't fly here very well. You act like everything going on in Europe is incredible. I can tell ya right now, it ain't.   Again, absurd.  I've posted several times recently about my favourite band of the moment, Barrance Whitfield and the Savages, from, uh, Boston.  I think I've mainly posted things here this year about them, Lyres, NOBUNNY, Kid Congo Powers, Stitches, Hex Dispensers...all from the US.  

If there is one thing I hate about music post 1960s is the idea that gimmicks and trends means something is good. Nope.  Why do you think that applies to me?  I buy almost exclusively vinyl....either actual 60s releases or contemporary music in that style.  My favourite turntable (16, 33, 45 and 78 rpm) blew a valve the other day so I'm using my 70s twin decks for now.  What's your view on the Standells vs the Remains?  I travelled to Vegas a few years ago to see the Fabulous Wailers play....among my favourite bands. Stopped in Boston on the way home to see my family....my (late) daddy was very interested in music and in fact was a radio DJ in the 50s and asked me about the festival I'd seen in Vegas.  I was most excited about having seen the Fabulous Wailers and he said "That's funny, when I was a DJ I used to play records by a band with the same name". I replied "It's the same band, I love them".  He laughed, saying "Oh know, it can't be, they must be in their 60s by now".  ;-)

I am honestly not trying to crap on your thread of course you are, you often do because I can see there is some excitement in your posts, but you post a lot about these weird, quirky bands that all sound the same again, absurd IMO....give some examples or use some kind of a gimmick. Not exactly true...I've posted before that I despise stage clothes, though I do love over-the-top goofy gimmick looks like the Mummies. Do you listen to anything else?  Don't patronise me, please.  This week I've mainly been listening to the new Barrance Whitfield and the Savages album (best album of the year, IMO), my favourite comp ever entitled "The History of Northwest Rock Volume 1", sundry 60s comps, Hasil Atkins and a London band called MFC Chicken....loads more too, music is playing in my home virtually 100% of my waking hours.  

Like, what is "Psyche" Psychedelic Music....how can you not know that?  Easter Everywhere has recently become one of my top 10 albums ever or "Slow Death"?  take it literally    What does that even mean?

Also, what music did you grow up on?   the first 17 albums I bought were by the Beatles....the next 15 or so were the Stones, then all the Kinks, Doors, Creedence, etc.  Loved the Ramones intensely and other similar pop punky bands (Buzzcocks, etc.)  But my favourite-ever band remains Husker Du, followed closely by the Minutemen How old are you? I am seriously just curious.  Why? Do you want to know my race, religion, body shape, sexual orientation and politics too?  I'm nearly 52 if you need to know.   You seem to be this hardcore punk person  that's laughable, you don't know what you're talking about....in fact many of my closest friends are really into punk and/or are punk musicians who occasionally gently mock for not being a punk (as if it matters) who just is running from anything organic that's comically ignorant....it's exactly the opposite....I loathe digital music due to its poor sound quality, most of the bands I respect record to tape in analog studios like Toe Rag, Circo Perrotti, etc.....and looking for anything quirky, trendy again, that's laughable....I am about as far from trendy as one can be in Europe or just plain not good. lmao

Please don't respond with some odd stream of consciousness either because I can't be the only person here wondering what on earth it is the language you use. Try to be a real human in discussing for once.  lol

If you want to persist with your aggression toward me, at least get your facts straight.   I like it here a lot even though I'm not exactly in line with many posters' taste....but I value that.  FFS, I directed the OP to Yoga whom a) I like, and b) expressed an interest in a band I mentioned previously.

I've also posted several times that I feel comfortable here so I deliberately goof around and even mocked myself recently by referring to my nonsense as a "Puddle of Consciousness".

I do not want to get into a p1ssing contest with you, so please ignore me.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

I guess what I am saying is you start numerous threads about things that pretty much no one can engage in discussion with because we don't live in England and it's also hard to read what you are even talking about on top of that.  IMO, my spelling, grammar, punctuation and syntax puts you to shame.

So, it almost appears like you're impressed with yourself and want us to know.  Honestly? I think I'm nothing from nowhere.  I'm just passionate about music, trying to have fun and have no need to impress the likes of you.

I could what you do, but I take into consideration many people have varied taste here and there is really no need to barf all over the board here.  Then ignore me.  Frankly, I think you are a bit of a jerk....why are you giving me a hard time?   If anyone I respect (most of those here) thinks I am being in any way bad or annoying I would be upset....please let me know if that's the case.

It's clear you love music like we all do, but enough with these obscure bands and artists that clearly aren't very good which is why no one knows who the hell they are. I mean, every post of yours is like that.  If you don't know who Kid Congo Powers is, then you can rot in John Cougar Mellancamp Hell for all I care.  Assuming you are from Boston, do you really not know Barrance Whitfield and the Savages?

Then you check these bands or artists out online and it's really crappy stuff.  Tell me what you think is "crappy"?

I fully agree music is really subjective, but it would be great if you'd up your yield a bit on what is good and what is crap. lol  What new bands/artists have impressed you this year?

We agree on the vinyl/sound element, so I know you are a big fan of music, but just don't expect people to respond I expect nothing, you are projecting to all your threads when:

1. We can't see bands live who aren't good and who will never tour here and aren't good. Again.....BWATS are from from Boston....do you know who Peter Greenberg is?  They are in the middle of a 30-date tour of Europe.....if you don't know who they are, I don't care.  ....Kid Congo, NOBUNNY, etc are all Yanks.

2. Much of what you suggest is the musical equivalent of the boy who cried wolf.  So you think I am lying when I suggest to Yoga that she might like a band I like?

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

I guess what I am saying is you start numerous threads about things that pretty much no one can engage in discussion with because we don't live in England and it's also hard to read what you are even talking about on top of that.

So, it almost appears like you're impressed with yourself and want us to know.

I could what you do, but I take into consideration many people have varied taste here and there is really no need to barf all over the board here.  

It's clear you love music like we all do, but enough with these obscure bands and artists that clearly aren't very good which is why no one knows who the hell they are. I mean, every post of yours is like that.

Then you check these bands or artists out online and it's really crappy stuff.

I fully agree music is really subjective, but it would be great if you'd up your yield a bit on what is good and what is crap. lol

We agree on the vinyl/sound element, so I know you are a big fan of music, but just don't expect people to respond to all your threads when:

1. We can't see bands live who aren't good and who will never tour here and aren't good.

2. Much of what you suggest is the musical equivalent of the boy who cried wolf.

[/QUOTE]

Why is this such a bone of contention for you?    If you don't care for someone, or their taste in music, don't read their threads, and/or ignore.    What is the big deal?

I have created countless threads on bands that don't get much of a response, either b/c it's not the general taste of the forum, or very few people here have much experience with the band I'm  reviewing.    That doesn't bother me.  I've found that people do read the OP, even if they don't respond.   

I used to belong to a website that had a "water cooler" area, where people discussed music, among other topics.    There were many, MANY Brits on that forum, and they also knew quite a bit about popular music in Spain and other countries.  Guess what?   It was of great interest to me, and I learned about some fun music from them.   Do I follow those bands faithfully?  Not necessarily -- but I've gotten a bit of a kick when I either see one of those bands in the music news, or hear a track on WERS here in Boston (college station).  One example was a band called the Horrors that a kid from OZ told me about a couple of years ago.   I posted on them here -- not much of a response.  (Sonics may know of them, and hate them -- they are a UK band, and are often compared to Joy Division).    In the meantime, the Horrors have had quite a number of mega hits, for better or worse.  

All this to say, some of us don't mind hearing about music that's popular elsewhere.   The US market for music has its quirks b/c the US is so large, and diverse, and has music that is peculiar to specific regions, in some cases.  In music, it's nice to get outside of ourselves, and hear, learn and experience what people on other continents are listening to, and if you're not of that mind, that's fine, but it really isn't necessary to stomp out a fire that doesn't exist.    

NOTE:  I'd mix music in with literature, art, and fashion, too, as those topics pertain to what people in other cultures / countries are interested in -- to see if they on the map in the US, or not.   

I was too busy screaming at the TV last night to worry about any of this anyhow.   Laughing  

Anyone with high blood pressure was in danger if they were watching the Boston sports teams yesterday.   Holy mother  ....   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

I enjoy Sonics posts. He has good taste in music, the more obscure, the better. He speaks his mind, and shares his opinions, nothing wrong with that. I like being exposed to bands that I wouldn't ordinarily seek out.  Though I have not had many conversations with him,  he brings a different perspective to the board, that's all. I can never understand why some feel that their opinion weighs more heavily than others.  I come here to learn, and to share what little knowledge of music I have,  and to have some nice discussions along the way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I would like to reclaim this thread,  since it was addressed to me.

Sharing is fine, and that's what we are here to do, but enough is enough.  Laughing

In friendship, thank you.   Smile

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to polar123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I enjoy Sonics posts. He has good taste in music, the more obscure, the better. He speaks his mind, and shares his opinions, nothing wrong with that. I like being exposed to bands that I wouldn't ordinarily seek out.  Though I have not had many conversations with him,  he brings a different perspective to the board, that's all. I can never understand why some feel that their opinion weighs more heavily than others.  I come here to learn, and to share what little knowledge of music I have,  and to have some nice discussions along the way.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you.  I really like this board....so fun, and tolerant and decent, particularly when compared to the main Sox board.  I like the people here, I like music, and I want to participate.