I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were

Agree there were some bad songs by people that were wannabe singers. But lots of great stuff came out of that decade as well. IMO, the previous decade (2000's) was the worst decade.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Greg -- I was just thinking yesterday about that SNL skit where Eddie Murphy tries to train Stevie Wonder to be a Stevie Wonder impersonator.  Eddie sings a bit from "My Cherie Amour" and the audience cheers -- it sounds pretty good.  Then Stevie gives it a try -- and the difference is so HUGE -- a genius talent showing an amateur how it's done.

This is a clip from it, but the sound quality doesn't do it justice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI3tCJ1qbu8

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The resurgence of metal saved Eighties music from itself.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Every decade has it's bad along with it's good...

,,, The '60s gave us My Girl Lolipop, Dominique (ths Singing Nun) and Sugar Sugar.  All of these songs went to #1 but when I think of '60s music they aren't the first songs that come to mind.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Hey! "Sugar Sugar" is a classic!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were:
    [QUOTE]Hey! "Sugar Sugar" is a classic!
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

No love for the singing nun?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

For every Bruce Willis' Bruno, there's a Debbie Boone or a Lou Bega or a Tiny Tim....

No decade is sacred or immune.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Some of my all-time favorite bands were from the late '80s era, like the Clash, REM, U2, the Replacements, XTC, Living Colour, Joe Jackson, the Pretenders. But no doubt, there was some god-awful stuff, too, which can be said of any decade, really.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Both man!

Dominique-a-nique-nique...  Its like it was yesterday!  I don't need youtube, its running in my head note for note!

And Sugar Sugar?

Just shut up!  Jeff Barry is a god!

And I might point out that its anything but sweet and innocent bubble gum.

Its fr1ggin DRIPPING (and yes, I meant that) with innuendo.

It is in fact, a rather nasty little ditty.

Def Leapord just re-wrote it with power chords

Tell it, Greg! I used to stack the Singing Nun's hit single with all the other records I played, so I know what you're talking about. And those cereal box singles got me hooked on the Archies! Do you remember those?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

You can always find good and bad in every time period.

Supposedly Jesus lived during the time the Roman Empire was at it's nastiest.

I always look for the best in every decade. The 80's gave us Devo, in a perfect world that is not enough for most of us.

I realize this is not a perfect world and if Devo was the only good thing to come from the 80's than I would accept it. But the 80's gave us a reunion of Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Depeche Mode, The Smiths , early R.E.M., Bauhaus, Love and Rockets, Psychedelic Furs, P.I.L. , ....heck the 80's gave us some darn good artists!....and the greatest hockey players of all time played in the 80's , Bourque, Coffey, Gretzky, Kurri, Yzerman. NASCAR and MLB baseball was great in the 80's also. Not to mention some of the best Sci-Fi movies.

All in all , I am kind of glad I was around for the 80's , I would love to go "Back To The Future" with Micheal J. Fox and Chris Lloyd...where's that DeLorean?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

How bad were the '80's?......can be summed up in 4minutes and 52 seconds.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBlbPw7WAqM

R.I.P. 80's

Guitar, bass, drums and vocals....oh how I long for the good old days of RnR!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

All I have to say is the 80's gave us Jack Mack and the Heart Attack
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1mduF-m-68&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQweGNgHUaU&feature=related

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

The 80s were so bad for music, it's become almost nostalgic and comical.  They're the equivalent of a bad 80s B grade movie, that when it comes on tv, you can't look away.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin. Show leafswin's posts

As much as their was some really bad music in the 80's the decade no doubt produced some incredible music. I can go on and on about albums from 80 -89 that are amazing.. Every decade has good and bad. But personally the 80's was a good as any decade ever for me with music.. You just have to go find it and not listen (at the time) what BCN or Kiss 108 would jam in to your ears

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Depends on what you like. For example, rock music in the 1980s was awful. It started with more commercial style music in the mid/late 1970s, arena and stadium rock, etc.

Hip hop and rap where born, new wave was raging and pop music was really the thing. 3 minute songs with a hook of some kind and inconsequential lyrics were all the rage.

This started with disco and corporate rock in the mid/late 1970s, IMO. 

There was more money to be made in larger venues like stadiums, so more artists and bands that appealed the masses, obviously meant more opportunity to package artists and bands that essentialy sounded and did the same thing.

Then MTV hit and it became more about using MTV as a tool to sell.  Not to mention, the best era in music (IMO, 1965-1975), had seen its peak and was over.  So, something had to give at that point.  Most of the heroes of the 1960s and 1970s were dead, disbanded or too whacked out to go on they way they were anyway.

For every U2, REM, Replacements, the Cult, Tom Petty/HBs, etc, there were 25 one hit wonder types or just awful bands or artists that became totally saturated and overexposed. You just needed 2 hits per album every album, every 2 years, to be the big thing of that decade. The rest of the album didn't matter. Give me 2 catchy songs and the rest of the album we'll just fill up with junk.  Then, the hair metal thing took the torch from new wave and finished out the 80s with pop/rap stuff.

Radio was also at the dawn of its deregulation period, where it became streamlined and put into specific categories for ratings purposes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The reason why people think there was so much "bad" music in the 80's is because music really exploded in that decade with the release of CDS, the start of music video, walkmans , boom boxes and so much rock music being used in movie soundtracks.

Whenever you get "more" of anything, you get more bad. To say that music was "bad" in the 80's is to "diss" all the really good stuff that was released in that decade.

Saying that Rock music as a whole was "just awful" in the 80's is wrong. I have many favorites that were released and recorded in that decade, among thme some excellent Eric Clapton and Neil Young LPs. but also Rainbow, Deep Purple, Scorpions and Judas Preist released some great stuff. The Smiths , INXS, R.E.M. and the Psychedlic Furs all peaked in the 80's and this was popular stuff on the college radio stations.

I could easily say that there are more bad people around today than ever before. And I would be right, because there are more people around today than ever before. This does not mean that we do not have many, many really nice people living now. ( and many of them are posters on this forum...the good ones, I mean).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I cannot believe some of what I am reading here. 80's certainly did not s*ck. I mean, what are you comparing it to?

The 60's? Is that really fair considering the 60's took the new musical artform and broke it worldwide. Plus the 60's has The Beatles, The Who and Dylan. Kind of hard to beat that.

The 70's? Wow - where do we begin - the hippie culture is ending and music is ratcheted up a few notches. Again, a decade that featured the continued success of The Who & Stones, the emergence of Zep, Sabbath and Deep Purple as monster acts, plus the addition of Queen, Aerosmith and two new scenes; Punk and Disco.

The 80's Rock and Roll scene dominated the charts like never before. Between the Sunset Strip in LA, the Thrash out of S.F. and NY and the continued emergence of Hip-Hop & Rap, I don't see where you would have an issue with it. The music may not be to your liking, but it was a great time for bands all over the world.

I love the 80's; the decadence, the pomp and circumstance and the street cred were incredible. The chicks in leather and spandex mini-skirts. That alone makes the decade amazing. I am not even going to name bands as to not start a debate on how good someone is or isn't.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Any decade which gave us the Pixies couldn't be that bad.

Not to mention starting it off in 1980 with London Calling.

There's plenty of gold in them hills...if you want it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Any decade which gave us the Pixies couldn't be that bad. Not to mention starting it off in 1980 with London Calling. There's plenty of gold in them hills...if you want it.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Not a bad thing at all. But if we want to get technical, I think it was actually recorded in 1979. Someone check wiki - quick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I am pretty sure we're speaking in generalities here. The 80s were indeed AWFUL. AWFUL.

Of course there are exceptions, but generally it was junk.  It was the era of MTV, one hit wonders, the birth of rap and hip hop, bad English bands, the over-exposure of the synthesizer, etc, Ugh.

And the Neil records were awkward and brutal until Freedom in '89. Clapton did surprising well considering his drunken circumstances, but come on, that was pop Clapton, post 1983.

Geez. I was born in the late 70s and I know how bad it was with the music I grew up around. There were more one hit wonder types in the 1980s than any other era. About sums it up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : Not a bad thing at all. But if we want to get technical, I think it was actually recorded in 1979. Someone check wiki - quick.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Released in the UK - Dec. 1979

in the US - Jan 1980