I Will Remember You (would love your help)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I Will Remember You (would love your help)

To my dear music friends:  You can't see my face, let alone the sadness in my eyes, but I would not feel right returning to the Music Forum today unless I told you what's behind the computer screen, as many of us have posted here for a matter of years now, and I feel I am among friends.   Once in a while, friends here have posted tributes in times of sadness.  I am sorry to say, this is a time of sorrow for me.  

I am experiencing a deep, abiding sadness, and mournful time in my life, as my beloved Mum died shortly after Thanksgiving.  Eventhough I trust I will,  I just don't know how I am going to get through this loss.  

Let me assure you, my green eyes have been red from crying, and the salty tears covering my face seem to be never-ending.   My mother dubbed me "the waterworks" from the time I was a kid, and it certainly still suits me.  

In bringing this home to music, there is something you all can do to help.  Yes, there is.  :)

As you are aware, music is a friend in good times, not so good times, and in times of sorrow.   You can always find the right music for the occasion, and it will enhance and deepen every experience in its simplicity or grandeur.   Therefore:

Please post the LAST song from some of your favorite albums.   It doesn't matter if the song is happy, sad, instrumental, whatever ... if it's the last song, and it's from a favorite album of yours, *bring it*.    Post one, or two, or as many as you like.  I know you have loads of favorites; the more random the better.   

I was thinking, of course, of "The End" from Abbey Road, one of the most meaningful "last songs" of them all.     With the beautiful ending lyrics, too.  

Music is a great friend to us all, and while I travel this road especially right now, a great comfort.    Thank you for your friendship.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: I Will Remember You (would love your help)

So deeply sorry for your loss. I have lost two people very dear to me in the past two years; my Mother-In-Law and my Dad. I have not cried so much in my life as I have the past two years. I hope this song will do some small part to help you through a difficult time.

The Band - King Harvest (Has Surely Come).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxzQChNxQQ8

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Black Crowes - Descending - (TSH&MC)

Neil Young - Cripple Creek Ferry - (ATGR)

Led Zep - Hats Off to (Roy) Harper - (III)

Floyd - Brain Damage/Eclipse - (DSOTM)

Guster - Rainy Day - (Lost And Gone Forever)

Stones - Soul Survivor - (Exile On Main St.)

Mission Of Burma - That's How I Escaped My Certain Fate (Vs.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Yoga, I am so very sorry to hear about your Mom. You take care :)

She Moved Through the Faire - Sinead O'Connor(self titled)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DQnS18EeWM

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Very sorry too hear about your mom.. I am fortuante to still have my mom and cherish the time.. Pelase accept my sincere condolences on your loss.

The Clash  Garageland (The Clash)

The Pogues- And the band played Waltzng matilda (Rum Sodomy and the Lash)

The Replacements - Her Comes a Regular (Tim)

Jay Reatard - Waiting for Something (Blood Visions)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

My sincere condolences, yogafriend.  I was a little worried about you because you hadn't posted for a week or so.  I will come up with a song or two later.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Sorry, went to add a new song to my last post and a new post appeared :)

The Mountain - PJ Harvey (White Chalk)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uctrQBJSY8

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Oh, thank you all SO MUCH.  You are truly making me smile, and I love your lists and songs so far.  The random nature and how they all flow together -- simply incredible.  

I cannot thank you enough.  

One thing I must tell you: Sad music is not a good idea for me right now.  I made the mistake of putting on Sarah McLachlan.  Not too brilliant.  :)   

Here are a few of mine for now:

"Angel"  from Mirrorball (Sarah McLachlan)
    "Last Dance" from Surfacing (ditto Sarah)
    "Show Me a Smile" from Future Games (FWM)
    "Hymn of the Big Wheel" from Blue Lines (Massive Attack)
    "Dante's Prayer" from The Book of Secrets (Loreena McKennitt)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Yoga,I'm very sorry to hear about Mother,please accept my deepest sympathies for your loss.

Rolling Stones - Country Honk (Let it bleed)

Derek and the Dominoes - Thorn Tree in the garden (layla and other assorted love songs)

Foghat - Take it or leave it (Fool for the city)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I knew something was up, having not heard from you in a while.

So sorry to hear this , yoga.

Having lost my mother at 12 years old (also around this time of year), I know how hard it will be for you.

I know that while it is rough right now, you will overcome your feelings of being sad alot, but even years from now you will still want to shed tears ( as I am fighting them now). You get over it...but never completely.

Peace friend...and try to occupy your mind as much as you can, it helps not to dwell on sadness.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Happier:

Stone Roses - I Am The Resurrection (epon.)

J. Geils Band - Give It To Me (Blow Your Face Out)

Jayhawks - Ten Little Kids (Tomorrow The Green Grass)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

...oh, I forgot about the "last song" part.

I know you discovered the Scorpions with some help from us.

One of my favorite Scorpions albums has a very heartfelt and emotional song ( believe it, there's lots of deep feelings in Heavy Metal music) that closes it out. 'When The Smoke Is Going Down' is a tremendous closing song to Scorpions- Blackout....a personal favorite of mine.  It's pretty much a tribute to the fans. I love songs like this, and Klaus sings it with so much emotion.

In a world where sports, music and most of entertainment is made , "only for the money" ( to revisit our ongoing topic) , it is always nice to hear an entertainer , singer, athlete give thanks to the people who are most responsible for giving them the opportunity to "entertain" and make a lucrative career. You know, I saw a repeat of NESN's History of the Bruins ( they are desperate for progamming with no NHL season) on Sunday and I was so taken by the segments when they showed Bruins greats getting their numbers retired....the power and emotion in those ceremonies is beyond anything you see in an actual game. Fans of music, sports and movies don't necessarily want handsome, rich, trash talking , big shots....they want ( and love) players, musicians and actors who give 100% and they don't mind that they don't win a championship , just that they do their absolute best....Normand Leveille a young man who suffered a brain anuerysm and had to retire got the biggest ovation of all. Why? because true fans understand that these men are human beings first, and that after the game is over life goes on. The Scorpions may have never won tons of music  awards and never outsold or were #1 on the charts, but for their fans they are #1 along with guys like Ozzy , who just showed their appreciation for the fans, by giving back and giving exactly what their fans wanted...and who cares if some moron thinks they deserve an award?

Okay, I've rambled and strayed from the topic once again. The Scorpions 'When The Smoke Is Going Down' is a love song. Not the traditional love song, but a love song for the fans.  We all need love, and so much more in times of sorrow. Our cats amaze me, because they do not know what a dollar bill is for, they do not know what this thing we stare at called a T.V. is all about....but they know we love them. they really do know this, I can tell by how they look at me. How they know, I am really not so sure. But, they know.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Yoga, I've missed your post's and was wondering were you have been.  I am sorry for your loss. Please focus on the positive's in your life and smile!

My sincere condolences

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esFAe2BDwIc

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Film of My Love - 10CC

Love Reign O'er Me - The Who

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

So deeply sorry for your loss. I have lost two people very dear to me in the past two years; my Mother-In-Law and my Dad. I have not cried so much in my life as I have the past two years. I hope this song will do some small part to help you through a difficult time. The Band - King Harvest (Has Surely Come). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxzQChNxQQ8 

Thank you so much, DD, as I do recall that you are someone who has travelled down a similar path in the recent past, and created some nice memory threads.   I respect your openness about your emotions, too.  Crying just can't be helped in these times of deep loss, but I have to admit, my eyes were killing me at one point, and I began to laugh: a good sign for me.   :)  We have had quite a few laughs remembering my mother, too, as she was a true original.  She left her mark.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

Yoga, I am so very sorry to hear about your Mom. You take care :)  She Moved Through the Faire - Sinead O'Connor(self titled) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DQnS18EeWM 

Thank you, Polar.   Sad, but gorgeous song; Sinead at her best, too.   Sorry to also know that you  have gone down a similar path; judging from your online presence, I have little doubt that you've taken care of yourself, too, just as I will.   Take care.  :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to leafswin27's comment:
    [QUOTE] Very sorry too hear about your mom.. I am fortuante to still have my mom and cherish the time.. Pelase accept my sincere condolences on your loss. The Clash  Garageland (The Clash)

The Pogues- And the band played Waltzng matilda (Rum Sodomy and the Lash)

The Replacements - Her Comes a Regular (Tim)

Jay Reatard - Waiting for Something (Blood Visions) [/QUOTE]

Thank you.  It makes me happy to know you appreciate your Mom and cherish the time you have with her.   "Waltzing Mathilda" -- great song.   So many amazing versions.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

My sincere condolences, yogafriend.  I was a little worried about you because you hadn't posted for a week or so.  I will come up with a song or two later. 

Thank you so much, Hfx.  What a nice thing to say.   I wish I'd been on a happier mission.   As the big globe keeps turning, it is very comforting and nice to get back on and return to daily routines, as that's what brings stability.    We cannot control the vicissitudes of life,  but they show us who we are and what we're made of.   Amazing when you think about it.  

If it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't even have some of the music that I've been listening to, music that is really helping me.  So of course, I am very glad to be here.  :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Yoga,I'm very sorry to hear about Mother,please accept my deepest sympathies for your loss. Rolling Stones - Country Honk (Let it bleed) Derek and the Dominoes - Thorn Tree in the garden (layla and other assorted love songs)  Foghat - Take it or leave it (Fool for the city) 

Thank you, MrMojo.   You have mentioned in your comments a few times, that you have experienced a very deep loss, and that's never been lost on me.   As you seem like such a kind-hearted and optimisitic person, you deserve a world of credit for drawing on the sunny side of life.   Interesting taste in music, too.  :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I knew something was up, having not heard from you in a while. So sorry to hear this , yoga. Having lost my mother at 12 years old (also around this time of year), I know how hard it will be for you. I know that while it is rough right now, you will overcome your feelings of being sad alot, but even years from now you will still want to shed tears ( as I am fighting them now). You get over it...but never completely. Peace friend...and try to occupy your mind as much as you can, it helps not to dwell on sadness. 

Zilla, 
    I know you lost your parents at a young age, and that you reflect on what's important and your priorities in your posts, and from what I have witnessed, your heart and values are in the right place.   I wholly agree that even though I don't have a true choice about dwelling on sadness just yet, I am fully aware that this is a time to celebrate a life well-lived by dwelling on the happy times and goodness.  SO that's what I will be doing, don't worry.  I will be looking for your wry sense of humor around here ... (as in, "Who cares if some moron thinks they deserve an award?"  hahhahah)

I fully agree about The Scorpions, another example of a band I may never have grown to love, were it not for the forum, and about our pets; in my case, I also have two kitties.  I have said many times, I don't know what I would do without them.  One of mine watches TV with me (he leaves if I turn on a reality show ... hahaha); they are both a source of boundless comfort and cheer.    Thanks for the kind words, friend.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE] Happier: Stone Roses - I Am The Resurrection (epon.)

Jayhawks - Ten Little Kids (Tomorrow The Green Grass)  [/QUOTE]

So funny, but I remember posting about the Stone Roses about a year ago, based on some suspiciously dumb comments that I heard from a DJ on the now defunct WFNX.   So ironic that the radio station doesn't exist, but the Stone Roses certainly do, and made a successful comeback (my understanding is that they only toured the UK / Europe, but not the US) and were welcomed back with open arms.   I got the (above) album immediately after the thread discussion, and it is one of the best albums I purchased in the last year.  The last song is quite the thing, too.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Just thought of another song to add, something more upbeat.

Van Morrison - Glad Tidings (Moondance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvr3hGRAafo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

No words for you here Yoga - you know where to find them. But know we all got your back.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE] Happier: Stone Roses - I Am The Resurrection (epon.)

Jayhawks - Ten Little Kids (Tomorrow The Green Grass)  [/QUOTE]

So funny, but I remember posting about the Stone Roses about a year ago, based on some suspiciously dumb comments that I heard from a DJ on the now defunct WFNX.   So ironic that the radio station doesn't exist, but the Stone Roses certainly do, and made a successful comeback (my understanding is that they only toured the UK / Europe, but not the US) and were welcomed back with open arms.   I got the (above) album immediately after the thread discussion, and it is one of the best albums I purchased in the last year.  The last song is quite the thing, too.  

[/QUOTE]

I tried to think of more upbeat songs from favorite albums...which is a little hard, because many of my faves deliberately end on a downbeat note or tune.  Instead, I went for poignancy.

The Roses have that rare blend of childishness and world-weariness in their best songs without being overtly sad, i.e., "being shallow and indifferent is hard work".

One More...it's a bit long, but the payoff is worth it, methinks... From Wilco's The Whole Love: "One Sunday Morning [Song for Jane Smiley's Boyfriend]"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

A little late to this, but wanted to add my condolences and one "last" song from my formative years:

Harmony - Elton John (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)