I Will Remember You (would love your help)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: I Will Remember You (would love your help)

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to polar123's comment:

Yoga, I am so very sorry to hear about your Mom. You take care :)   She Moved Through the Faire - Sinead O'Connor(self titled)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DQnS18EeWM 

Thank you, Polar.   Sad, but gorgeous song; Sinead at her best, too.   Sorry to also know that you  have gone down a similar path; judging from your online presence, I have little doubt that you've taken care of yourself, too, just as I will.   Take care.  :)

[/QUOTE]

When my Mom passed away I started listening to She Moved through the Faire. It is sad, but it was one of her favorites, and I found comfort in it. Back in NH for a few days to attend the Loreena McKennitt show in Montreal.  I really hope she decides to augment her current tour with some US dates in Boston or NYC, so you will get the chance to see her live. I'll post a review later, and let's hope she does Dante's Prayer :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yoga, I am so very sorry to hear about your Mom. You take care :)   She Moved Through the Faire - Sinead O'Connor(self titled)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DQnS18EeWM 

Thank you, Polar.   Sad, but gorgeous song; Sinead at her best, too.   Sorry to also know that you  have gone down a similar path; judging from your online presence, I have little doubt that you've taken care of yourself, too, just as I will.   Take care.  :)

[/QUOTE]  When my Mom passed away I started listening to She Moved through the Faire. It is sad, but it was one of her favorites, and I found comfort in it. Back in NH for a few days to attend the Loreena McKennitt show in Montreal.  I really hope she decides to augment her current tour with some US dates in Boston or NYC, so you will get the chance to see her live. I'll post a review later, and let's hope she does Dante's Prayer :) [/QUOTE]

What nice sentiments.  

Not sure if you've left for Montreal yet, but I could not be happier that the Loreena McKennitt concert is your destination, and you were able to get those tickets.   I remember that I almost went for it, too, as we discussed the idea in a thread, "it's not very far away"  all things considered, for an artist whose norm is to play in Europe, but I feel that I can say now, I just could not make plans to be that far away, even then ....  this last while, it has been critical for me to stick close to home.   The timing is uncanny this week, as I forgot all about the concert, but with you (someone I 'know') there, it's as though I have someone to take it in for me.   

Of course, if she comes to NYC, let alone Boston, some day ... I will keep hoping for that.  In the meantime, I hope she dazzles, and that the concert more than meets expectations.   Can't wait to read your review.   Thanks, and safe travels to you and yours.   :)

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]  I'm terribly sorry to hear of that, yoga. I don't reallly have the words.

"Soul Survivor" (Stones, Exile)

"Salt of the Earth" (Stones, Beggar's Banquet")

"Maggie Magill" (Doors, Morrison Hotel)

"The End" (The Doors, The Doors")

"Dam That River" (AIC, Live)

And something that can bring the good kind of tears to one's eyes:

Bach: The Six Unaccompanied Cello Suites (Yo Yo Ma, 1983)

I've often felt that if I was asked to give one single reason to defend humanity, the reason would be expressed in the playing of that particular recording.   [/QUOTE]

Thanks so much, WDY.   NICE.   

"Salt of the Earth" is an amazing song, really.   That's what my mother was (also my father); I didn't know it was the last song Beggar's Banquet.   Uncanny.    

Also, I have grown to love the cello in recent years.  I've only seen one live classical concert that featured a solo cellist (a female), and it left a true impression on me.   

You know, the classical guitar recital I attended last spring featured Bach pieces, and done on classical guitar, were breathtaking.   I need to pursue.   Thanks so much.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

Yoga, I've missed your post's and was wondering were you have been.  I am sorry for your loss. Please focus on the positive's in your life and smile! My sincere condolences :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esFAe2BDwIc 

Aw, Roger, thank you.  Sweet video, my mother would love something that sweet and sunny.

I am grateful to be able to say that putting the focus on the positive is very easy for me, because my mother was so wonderful.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to gerbs' comment:

A little late to this, but wanted to add my condolences and one "last" song from my formative years: Harmony - Elton John (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road) 

You're not late at all, gerbs, and thank you.   Vintage Elton, so beautiful.   An elegant last song, that I also didn't realize punctuated that album, and could not be more graceful.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

Yoga Girl I'm so sorry for your loss.  I lost my father in 2001, he was only 63.  Here's the last and best track from a mid-career Allman Brothers album that I've always loved: http://youtu.be/dO3pXFvr9ao  

Hi Slim, thanks so much.   Just listened to "So Long" --  not sure if I've heard it before; what a great choice.  Remarkable, and a fitting last track, too.    I checked the lyrics, too, and they are quite the thing.  

Sorry your father's been gone a while and at such a young age.   Not sure if you got your dry wit and gift for story-telling from your father's side of the family,  but either way, your signature wit is always fun to behold and seems to serve you well.   :)   

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

Man, I am very sorry to hear that.  Obviously, there is nothing anyone can say to help you with such a loss.  The lone consolation I try to remind people of  at such a horrible time of loss is that you always have the memories.  My condoloences, regardless. Hang in there.   One of my favorite songs of all time, which likely won't help, but it's such a gorgeous song, it might be a good one to reflect back on your mom's own beauty.  Check out Descending, by the Black Crowes off Amorica (1994).  Track 11 of one of my favorite albums of the 1990s.  Just a masterpiece. It's still the best album closer I've ever heard, might be the best song I've ever heard, and will probably be the best album closer I'll ever hear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izWOYXtvVCA 

Wow, thank you.    Just listened to "Descending" and it is a gorgeous closer.   The piano intro is incredible (have to say, piano in rock music has always been my favorite featured instrument), and evokative in every way.    Just bookmarked it.    I'm still taking in the sounds of the nineties, with no end in sight.   

Appreciate it, really.   You know, the words people say do help, more than you can imagine. And music helps, too, remarkably.  

And so has this thread.   Unbelievable.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]  When my Mom passed away I started listening to She Moved through the Faire. It is sad, but it was one of her favorites, and I found comfort in it. Back in NH for a few days to attend the Loreena McKennitt show in Montreal.  I really hope she decides to augment her current tour with some US dates in Boston or NYC, so you will get the chance to see her live. I'll post a review later, and let's hope she does Dante's Prayer :) [/QUOTE]

What nice sentiments.  

Not sure if you've left for Montreal yet, but I could not be happier that the Loreena McKennitt concert is your destination, and you were able to get those tickets.   I remember that I almost went for it, too, as we discussed the idea in a thread, "it's not very far away"  all things considered, for an artist whose norm is to play in Europe, but I feel that I can say now, I just could not make plans to be that far away, even then ....  this last while, it has been critical for me to stick close to home.   The timing is uncanny this week, as I forgot all about the concert, but with you (someone I 'know') there, it's as though I have someone to take it in for me.   

Of course, if she comes to NYC, let alone Boston, some day ... I will keep hoping for that.  In the meantime, I hope she dazzles, and that the concert more than meets expectations.   Can't wait to read your review.   Thanks, and safe travels to you and yours.   :)

[/QUOTE]

@Yoga- thanks for the kind words and I hope you are feeling a little better. I wanted to write this review for you, while it is still fresh in my mind....

Loreena McKennitt is one beautiful, talented woman. It has been a while since I last saw her, and she looks and sounds great. This was hands down one of the best show I have seen in many years. There was an energy at this concert that was unique. The settinng was very ambient celtic/old world oriented with candles, and artwork that transported you to places within her songs. She moved gracefully across the stage all night. Her band was excellent. She was accompanied by a cellist, a guitarist and Violinist. They all interacted wonderfully with her. Her voice was really strong and she was really talkative the whole night. There is something really mystical about her.

She performed a lot of her early material  from the Visit, Mask and Mirror and Book Of Secrets (set list below), and most of The Wind that Shakes the Barley. She played for about two hours, and killed it on Santiago and Bonny Swans. Marco Polo was surreal, and All Souls Nights brought the house down. She did a couple of encores including one of my favorites, the Never-ending road, parting glass. I kept waiting for Skellig, and Mummers, but no dice. She did do Mystic's Dream, so I left happy!. Now that I have seen both her and Florence Welch within a few months, there are some similarities, but Mckennitt is much more accomplished.

One thing about the show that really stood out was the way she engaged the audience, talking with folks in the front row, joking with them about cellphone use, etc... Before most songs, she gave a back-story into it"s meaning, and why she wrote it. Dante's Prayer, was insipired by a train ride she took across Siberia, and the frozen wilderness.  Emigration Tunes, by themes from Irish History and the role music has played. If she wasn't a singer, she would be one hell of a story teller.

Montreal is a great city and is lit up for the holidays, so that added to the ambient effect. The venue kind of reminded me of the orpheum in Boston, big but not too big. The crowd was younger than I expected and extremely energetic. Being Canadian, she was recieved very warmly when she came out. I am glad we took this trip. One bit of good news on your end, when someone yelled out during the show" when are you coming to America," she said soon and smiled.

Set list:

Searching For Lambs
    The Star of the County Down
    Bonny Portmore Between the Shadow

The Wind That Shakes the Barley
    Down By the Sally Gardens
    Marco Polo
    Dantes Prayer
    As I Roved Out Dickens Dublin
    The Bonny Swans

Full Circle
    The Mystics Dream
    Santiago
    The Emigration Tunes
    he Lady of Shalott
    All Souls Night
    Penelopes Song
    The Old Ways
    Never-Ending Road/ The Parting Glass

Encores:

Huron Beltane Firedance
    Snow

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Two from Dire Straits:

Brothers in Arms (from the Brothers in Arms album)

Going Home (instrumental from the Alchemy Live album). Mark Knofler plays this version upbeat, but I found a version on YouTube where he plays it slow all the way through and it is very poignant.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE] @Yoga- thanks for the kind words and I hope you are feeling a little better. I wanted to write this review for you, while it is still fresh in my mind....

Loreena McKennitt is one beautiful, talented woman. It has been a while since I last saw her, and she looks and sounds great. This was hands down one of the best show I have seen in many years. There was an energy at this concert that was unique. The settinng was very ambient celtic/old world oriented with candles, and artwork that transported you to places within her songs. She moved gracefully across the stage all night. Her band was excellent. She was accompanied by a cellist, a guitarist and Violinist. They all interacted wonderfully with her. Her voice was really strong and she was really talkative the whole night. There is something really mystical about her.

She performed a lot of her early material  from the Visit, Mask and Mirror and Book Of Secrets (set list below), and most of The Wind that Shakes the Barley. She played for about two hours, and killed it on Santiago and Bonny Swans. Marco Polo was surreal, and All Souls Nights brought the house down. She did a couple of encores including one of my favorites, the Never-ending road, parting glass. I kept waiting for Skellig, and Mummers, but no dice. She did do Mystic's Dream, so I left happy!. Now that I have seen both her and Florence Welch within a few months, there are some similarities, but Mckennitt is much more accomplished.

One thing about the show that really stood out was the way she engaged the audience, talking with folks in the front row, joking with them about cellphone use, etc... Before most songs, she gave a back-story into it"s meaning, and why she wrote it. Dante's Prayer, was insipired by a train ride she took across Siberia, and the frozen wilderness.  Emigration Tunes, by themes from Irish History and the role music has played. If she wasn't a singer, she would be one hell of a story teller.

Montreal is a great city and is lit up for the holidays, so that added to the ambient effect. The venue kind of reminded me of the orpheum in Boston, big but not too big. The crowd was younger than I expected and extremely energetic. Being Canadian, she was recieved very warmly when she came out. I am glad we took this trip. One bit of good news on your end, when someone yelled out during the show" when are you coming to America," she said soon and smiled.

Set list:

Searching For Lambs
    The Star of the County Down
    Bonny Portmore Between the Shadow

The Wind That Shakes the Barley
    Down By the Sally Gardens
    Marco Polo
    Dantes Prayer
    As I Roved Out Dickens Dublin
    The Bonny Swans

Full Circle
    The Mystics Dream
    Santiago
    The Emigration Tunes
    he Lady of Shalott
    All Souls Night
    Penelopes Song
    The Old Ways
    Never-Ending Road/ The Parting Glass

Encores:

Huron Beltane Firedance

Snow [/QUOTE]

Totally blown away reading about your experience at the concert.  THANK YOU so much, Polar.   While I can't say reading your review was as good as being there, it's pretty darn close under the circumstances, and it means a lot to me that you were there, and gave not only a rave review, but one that was based on being up close and personal to LM's radiant presence.   The timing wasn't right for me (I have to laugh at the thought of being there with a box of tissues in my lap, sobbing over every song, and sniffling, and having people near me thinking, 'gee, that chick needs to get a grip' ... haha).  

I was listening to my LM music over the weekend, too.   I have to go back to my "what's on tap" thread and say that I need to fill in more of her music.  You know, I absolutely love "An Ancient Muse" and for "last songs" I can see that she played that album's last song in her show, "Never Ending Road" (before her encore) and that would have put me over the edge.     

I hope her smile was accompanied with a twinkle in her eye re: coming to America; I already know that seeing her perform live would be meaningful beyond belief for me, so like her other fans, (hopefully) await that announcement.   You're the best; thanks again. :)

"These are my dreams, so simple so few ~ Dreams we hold in the palm of our hands."

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Seeger88's comment:

Very sorry for the loss. I put on this album; Bruce Springsteen with the Seeger Sessions Band whever I need to lift my spirits. You can buy the video or else the two CD set. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky-HYHrm_oE&noredirect=1 

Thank you; I just checked out the song, and it was incredible.  The banjo: superb.   It's very uplifting, but the emotion in the song, with the full band, is very touching.  I'm not very well-versed in Springsteen's various incarnations and tours, and never heard of the Seeger Sessions, but if this is any sample, it must be real good.   It's also nice to learn about some of Springsteen's music that is a step away from his more familiar hit catalog.   

I am very appreciative; thank you again.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

Very sorry for the loss. I put on this album; Bruce Springsteen with the Seeger Sessions Band whever I need to lift my spirits. You can buy the video or else the two CD set.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky-HYHrm_oE&noredirect=1 

Thank you; I just checked out the song, and it was incredible.  The banjo: superb.   It's very uplifting, but the emotion in the song, with the full band, is very touching.  I'm not very well-versed in Springsteen's various incarnations and tours, and never heard of the Seeger Sessions, but if this is any sample, it must be real good.   It's also nice to learn about some of Springsteen's music that is a step away from his more familiar hit catalog.   

[/QUOTE]

I'll ditto Seeger's suggestion...

...this might be one of my favorite Springsteen releases due to the atmosphere of the recordings.  It clearly came through what a blast they were all having with those songs.

"Pay Me My Money Down" is an other standout track.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Very sorry for the loss. I put on this album; Bruce Springsteen with the Seeger Sessions Band whever I need to lift my spirits. You can buy the video or else the two CD set.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky-HYHrm_oE&noredirect=1 

[/QUOTE] I'll ditto Seeger's suggestion...

...this might be one of my favorite Springsteen releases due to the atmosphere of the recordings.  It clearly came through what a blast they were all having with those songs.

"Pay Me My Money Down" is an other standout track.[/QUOTE]

Thanks; that's concisely what I got from the song that Seeger chose: the band, as well as the audience, were having a total blast.   Some of the revival folkie / bluesy big band music might be part of what instills that, but either way, it's infectious to watch.   I get choked up watching people who are filled with joyous emotion on either the giving or receiving end of a performance; it's a 'fine line' sort of thing.  

I plan to follow up on this, along with lots of the other music contributed in this thread, as I am taking it all to heart.   

17. This post has been removed.