ID the band

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

ID the band

Not sure if this will stump the panel, but at least it's a little test to see if anyone is awake around here.    I have a possible follow-up question as well.  

This band took a female name for its name, yet the band is all male.  

Name the band.

(too easy?)  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: ID the band

Molly Hatchet

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Alice in Chains

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Lizzy Borden

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I should have made a general thread for "bands with chick names that are all male" -- because all of your entries are excellent -- (and while it's possible that there is someone out there that named a baby girl, "Twisted" or "Twisted Sister" that's the only one I have to say is off target ...)  :)

Anyhow, it has evolved into a very good thread.   :)

I usually give too many clues, but this is a case of not giving even one; truth be told,  the band I have in mind is probably a bit more difficult (and would not come immediately to mind).  

This might be a case only Zilla can crack; even Hfx or Matty, I am not sure... but I have faith in you.   I have no idea why I said "too easy"  -- this one is not particularly easy.  

Clues:

British
    Short-lived
    Alt-rock
    There is an American band (unrelated) by the same name (still playing); therefore, there are essentially two bands with this name

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MikeNagy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Alice in Chains

[/QUOTE]

Given my profile pic, I'm not sure why that flew over my head....  

[/QUOTE]

Rather shameful.  Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Wouldn't Joy Division fit all the clues?

British

Short lived

All male

Alt Rock

...and it could be a name of a female.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Also I wonder if one of my favorites is who are referring to.

Sisters of Mercy are all male....I wouldn't call them "short lived" though....but that's a relative term.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

Mallory Knox?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Man, you have done this thread proud, everyone.   However, the band I have in mind is still evading you.

I should never have said "too easy"  -- it's not.    I'm going to leave this open until tomorrow.   I'll give another clue, but I am feeling a little kind-hearted right now (hahah), and don't want to drop too big a hint.     Matty may drop by tomorrow, and at the very least, I would like to see if he knows this one.

Meanwhile, I just thought of another one:

Catherine Wheel

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Vixen?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Thin Lizzy (of course)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I can't say any of the responses are incorrect in general, but the specific answer has not been uncovered.

Clue from yesterday that is key (but also not very helpful): 

There is an American band (unrelated) by the same name (still playing); therefore, there are essentially two bands with this name.

New hints:
    One of the members of this band became the lead vocalist of a British band that was very well-known in the UK, but not very well-known in North America.   That band lasted 17 years and disbanded in 2010.  This vocalist now has a solo career.   Another member of the original band also joined this vocalist in the new band.  This band (meaning, the one that followed the one you're trying to guess)  was offered a TV program deal, by Stephen Spielberg, very similar to the Monkees, but turned it down. 

The name of the band is a very common female name -- in plural.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I never said they are well known.  I admitted that I erred originally in saying this might be easy, but soon retracted (twice).  

Since there are two bands with this name, and one is American, that being a fairly distinctive fact, and with the knowledge of this group, I thought there was a chance someone might know.

I'll check in later, and post the name of the band.  Looks like this one might be a dead end.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I'm stumped.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The name of the band is The Jennifers.

I'll drop into this thread on Wednesday to explain how I managed to come up with this one.   Sorry, I know it's obscure, but just think of what you can do with this little tidbit of knowledge.  :)    It's not easy to guage what this group is capable of -- the track record is quite impressive.    

I still think the photo ID Sonics posed (remember that?!) was a lot worse than this.   Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

They were so "short-lived" that I completely missed them. I know many of the bands that they were inspired by ( according to the info , I've just read). I like the Inspiral Carpets and the Stone Roses very much.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Okay, just to get closure on this (yes, I feel the need to explain myself, even though the input into the thread was better than my original brain teaser):  I was reading a list of "bests" (sorry, it wasn't deliberate), and an album by Supergrass was on the list.

I had never heard of them, and I couldn't ignore a name like Supergrass, so I checked up on them; very interesting group, and as mentioned in a clue, two members of The Jennifers, went on to found Supergrass, a band that was popular in the UK, but not so much in the US.   But that's never stopped anyone here from knowing about a band, has it?  

In any event, we needed a band ID question, so I figured I'd throw one out. (Zilla, when you have a minute, now it's your turn.)  :)

Meanwhile, I'm going to post that list of albums where I saw Supergrass, because it would be great if some of you check it out.   I'll give the list a context.   Stay tuned.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Okay, just to get closure on this (yes, I feel the need to explain myself, even though the input into the thread was better than my original brain teaser):  I was reading a list of "bests" (sorry, it wasn't deliberate), and an album by Supergrass was on the list.

I had never heard of them, and I couldn't ignore a name like Supergrass, so I checked up on them; very interesting group, and as mentioned in a clue, two members of The Jennifers, went on to found Supergrass, a band that was popular in the UK, but not so much in the US.   But that's never stopped anyone here from knowing about a band, has it?  

In any event, we needed a band ID question, so I figured I'd throw one out. (Zilla, when you have a minute, now it's your turn.)  :)

Meanwhile, I'm going to post that list of albums where I saw Supergrass, because it would be great if some of you check it out.   I'll give the list a context.   Stay tuned.  

[/QUOTE]

Soon, I will take you up on this. I don't know if I have any more good ones, but I am never short on ideas. Maybe my next one won't be so good, but I promise one that won't be guessed in less than 5 minutes....that's the best I can do with Matty, HFnut , Slim, hopefully jessie,Devildavid and yourself around ( not to slight anyone, but these are the major posters, I can remember at this very minute).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Interesting.  I know and like Supergrass (I have 'Life On Other Planets...' and a smattering of other songs.), but I never knew their origin story.  I do know a lot of people were really bummed when they called it quits.

Good show, yoga...!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

[QUOTE]

Interesting.  I know and like Supergrass (I have 'Life On Other Planets...' and a smattering of other songs.), but I never knew their origin story.  I do know a lot of people were really bummed when they called it quits.

Good show, yoga...!

[/QUOTE]

I was *so* close to going with Supergrass, in which case, I would have been LMAO when you popped in and got it right.    Therefore, I'll give you an honorary mention and some bonus points you can cash in on the next ID query.  

See the "21st century list" thread for the context of (lightbulb moment) Supergrass.    

And Zilla, you're right.   It is not getting any easier to find the right mix of obscure and at least somewhat identifiable for a band to ID and tackle for this group.    This is why looking at a list, completeloy out of the blue, gave me an idea, even though that was not my intent.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I had absolutely no chance at this one. I usually have little chance at being able to answer anything about music from the 1990's to the present. I feel like the old-timer of the forum, with my head more in the 50's to 60's blues/rock/pop scene. This forum is about the only place I even get any information about more recent music. I used to read music mags and listen to contemporary radio and watch MTV, but those days are long gone.

Great job stumping this panel of experts, Yoga!