Jimi Hendrix:"Hear my train a comin' " PBS "American Masters" special Tuesday Nov. 5th

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Jimi Hendrix:"Hear my train a comin' " PBS "American Masters" special Tuesday Nov. 5th

Are you experienced?If so,you'll probably want to catch this Jimi Hendrix American Masters program on PBS November 5th.Here's a link to video about the show:

http://www.wgbh.org/artsdrama/jimihendrix.cfm

Here's a GREAT Hendrix song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E2A60WslXg

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Jimi Hendrix:

I remembered there was a thread for American Masters, but couldn't remember which artist was being featured, so I'll bump this up as a reminder re: Hendrix.

Tomorrow night for Hendrix.   

While I'm at it, I watched a Lou Reed documentary last night; it was so good, I want to recommend it.  It was produced in 1998, and not only does Reed look young in many of the live concert shots, all of the artists who are interviewed look incredible, too.   (note: David Bowie  ... oooh la la, that man had (and still has) the most striking appearance -- is there anyone who comes close?)     Bowie, David Byrne, John Cale, Phil Glass, Patti Smith, Thurston Moore, and others, are interviewed.   The live concert clips are fantastic, also.  

You may have already seen this, since it's not new and has probably aired many times, but if you haven't, it's worth checking out.   It was packed with interesting tidbits of sixties history, the impact of Andy Warhol on the VU, etc.  Very entertaining.   BTW, when you watch a documentary such as this, it only makes you appreciate the rock world of yore even more, since they took nothing for granted.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'll probably never forgive myself if I miss this.

Some nights ( after baseball season is over) , I don't even bother to turn on T.V., because it's so hard to find anything worth watching.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

A great left handed guitarist.....who played a right handed guitar!

Jimi Hendrix's Les Paul Custom - a right-handed guitar with the strings reversed for playing left-handed

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

A perfect example of an artist who was important both popularly AND critically within his time.  Even given critiques of his songwriting or singing, his artistic contributions to music generally and the electric guitar certainly are undeniable.

Add to that the cultural implications of his success and influence, and you have that very rare breed: a world-changer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I can't really think of Hendrix as anything but a god of music.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A great left handed guitarist.....who played a right handed guitar!

Jimi Hendrix's Les Paul Custom - a right-handed guitar with the strings reversed for playing left-handed

[/QUOTE]

I never understood what the big deal was with this other than it being something to note.  He just has less easy easy access to the high e string and easier access to the low one and the upper strings in general.

I don't know if it was because he couldn't locate a left handed guitar and learned on a righty, but I don't see it as a huge deal. In fact, it might have made it easier to play rhythm, which was something he was great at with his leads on top of what he was laying down.

[/QUOTE]

It's the mental coordination it takes to think right and play left - at the same time! Try it, it's quite an accomplishment Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Are you experienced?

Oh dear...   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Sadly, the digital feed came in all broken up on my set.

Tried every other channel and the sound and picture was okay, except channel 2 (PBS).

I'm guessing there was some technical problem either with channel 2 (PBS) or Charter. I was hoping the other PBS stations would have the same show....no such luck.

Hope they repeat it sometime in the near future. Talk about disappointed!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tried every other channel and the sound and picture was okay, except channel 2 (PBS).

I'm guessing there was some technical problem either with channel 2 (PBS) or Charter. I was hoping the other PBS stations would have the same show....no such luck.

[/QUOTE]

If you want to watch it on your computer,here's a link to the PBS website and the whole Jimi Hendrix "Hear my train a coming":

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365112662/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In addition to being able to watch it via the link mrmojo posted, I'm sure it will be repeated as well.   It's just a matter of knowing when to tune in.

I watched it, and it was excellent.  A tad over-analyzed in spots, but overall, it was rich.    The concert footage was pretty great.   There's an interview with his father, too, which is heart-warming, as well as learning about their relationship.  There were some fun shots of a shocked audience, too.  Nothing like the faces watching the Beatles ... :)    He was so young when he left home, but if he hadn't ...  Zilla, all I can say is watch it, one way or the other.  I don't have even a fraction of the appreciation of Hendrix that you have, but this documentary was superb.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If you want to watch it on your computer,here's a link to the PBS website and the whole Jimi Hendrix "Hear my train a coming":

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365112662/

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, mojo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I watched it last night.  Very, very well done.