Led Zeppelin Celebration Day in movie theatres: October 17-18, 2012 - Two nights only

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Led Zeppelin Celebration Day in movie theatres: October 17-18, 2012 - Two nights only

The most demanded concert ticket in history was the Led Zeppeilin concert in London, on December 10, 2007.   20 million (at first I thought it said thousand) fans applied for 18,000 tickets.   

The Led Zepp Celebration Day will share a massive viewing of the concert in movie theatres across the nation.  

Here are the details (gives theatre information, etc.):

http://www.fathomevents.com/concerts/event/ledzeppelin.aspx

"On December 10, 2007, Led Zeppelin took the stage at London’s O2 Arena to headline a tribute concert for dear friend and Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun. The event saw more than 20 million fans apply for just 18,000 tickets, making this the most demanded ticket in music history. What followed was a two-hour-plus tour de force of the band’s signature blues-infused rock ’n’ roll that instantly became part of the legend of Led Zeppelin. Founding members John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant were joined by Jason Bonham, the son of their late drummer John Bonham, to perform 16 songs from their celebrated catalogue including landmark tracks Whole Lotta Love, Rock And Roll, Kashmir, and Stairway To Heaven.  

And now this special once in a life time event comes to select movie theaters nationwide on Wednesday, October 17 and Thursday, October 18 at 7:30 p.m. (local time)."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Led Zeppelin Celebration Day in movie theatres: October 17-18, 2012 - Two nights only

And people who prefer to be entertained at home need not worry - it's coming out in a bunch of different formats and packages a month after the threatre showings.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Led Zeppelin Celebration Day in movie theatres: October 17-18, 2012 - Two nights only

Yeah, but some people like the group experience.  :)   

It will be one of the few times the audience in a movie theatre will be able (allowed?) to make noise.     Maybe some of the people who will go don't own a big-screen TV.   

This movie extravaganza looks very well-timed to rake in more $$$; but as we have said many, many times here, if there are fans who want to attend and spend the money, and are into the entertainment value, all power to them.   

BTW, I thought that statistic re: the "most demanded rock concert ticket in history" for this concert was a good bit of rock music trivia.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I have to mention, I read a book about Zep called When Monsters Walked the Earth a year or two ago and the author attended this concert.  His review was not a glowing one-he made it sound like it was kind of a strange experience and that the performances were a bit lacking in spark, kind of going through the motions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

According to Jimmy Page.....there will be "NO" Led Zep 2013 reunion tour....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It will be one of the few times the audience in a movie theatre will be able (allowed?) to make noise.    

Huh? Yogafriend I can't believe you have never been to a midnight showing of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show"....noise, water, dancing in the isles and shouting at the movie......"it's just a jump to the left!"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here's a link for the whole 2007 Led Zeppelin reunion concert,all 2:05:43 seconds of it.It's recorded by a fan in the audience,I'm sure the Movie/DVD will be much cleaner and better sounding.Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAnIJt629bw&feature=related

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It will be one of the few times the audience in a movie theatre will be able (allowed?) to make noise.    

Huh? Yogafriend I can't believe you have never been to a midnight showing of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show"....noise, water, dancing in the isles and shouting at the movie......"it's just a jump to the left!"

[/QUOTE]

First,an early congratulations on your upcoming 1000th post,you've been a valued member here on the Music Forum.

Secondly,I agree about the midnight movies.I'll be going to see "Rocky Horror" again on the 30th at a midnight showing here in my town.The first time I saw it was in 1977 or 1978 when I was living down in Austin,Tx. 

My first midnight movie was an overnight double feature of Gimme Shelter and Woodstock when I was a teenager.My friends and  I did our "party favors" before it started and brought in some "special receipe" cookies for inside.We all had a real good time that evening and the other people in the theater just enhanced the experience.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

I have no comment (or comeback) for you, Roger.  :P

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

BTW, yesterday, I read an article about this event; it was fun to read the background.  The filmmaker had free reign when he filmed the concert, and no one in the band had any issues about having close-up shots on how they played their guitars, etc.; they were very congenial and cooperative.   There was nothing in the article as to the actual quality of the concert, as opposed to the film, which was deliberately made to have bootleg quality.  Looks like they are expecting huge sales from the follow-up DVD packages.

The writer of the article, Steve Morse, stated that he first saw LZ in 1969, when they opened for Fleetwood Mac (and John Mayall).   Guess who stole the show?  

Also, LZ turned down other offers, following this concert, for additional reunion concerts -- they could have continued to make lots of loot; it's safe to say, therefore, they're not in it for the money.  :P

Note: I deleted the exerpt from the article b/c the punctuation does not 'translate' to the comments box format.  Sorry.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Even though I did register for the concert at the O2 (wasn't selected), I would wait for the DVD version. Having seen Zep more times than I can remember back in the 70's, seeing the movie version of the reunion is no big deal to me.

Interesting fact - prior to finally changing their name to L.Z., there were contractual obligations for the Yardbirds which Page took Zep out on under the name. They actually played at Christ the King H.S. in Queens, NY.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'll probably go to the movie if it's in my area.The theater is about 200 feet away,so I go to a lot of movies.Last week I saw "Looper",Friday night I saw "Argo",Argo was a GREAT movie,it was the true story of the CIA rescuing 6 people in Iran while 44 hostages were being held at the American embassy.It'll probably be nominated for Movie of the year,and deservedly so.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Not a big fan of the whole concert in a movie theater thing...with a few exceptions that are actually films and not just filmed concerts.  There's a sincere difference, and I find it's a mixed bag, at best.

The Last Waltz, for instance, plays great on the big screen.  Stop Making Sense is another example, and probably the closest to a filmed performance that I actually liked.

I also liked David Gilmour's Live in Gdansk, but it's better at home, IMO...in the theatre, it was just...superfluous...despite the overall quality of sound, which was excellent.

As for Zep, I play How The West Was Won DVD often for listening purposes but hardly ever sit down and watch it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

I'll probably go to the movie if it's in my area.The theater is about 200 feet away,so I go to a lot of movies.Last week I saw "Looper",Friday night I saw "Argo",Argo was a GREAT movie,it was the true story of the CIA rescuing 6 people in Iran while 44 hostages were being held at the American embassy.It'll probably be nominated for Movie of the year,and deservedly so. 

MrMojo, if you click on the link in my OP, there's a listing of all the theatres (by state, or whatever, can't remember) that will be showing the concert film.   Check it out.  

Funny that you saw "Argo" as it's the only film that holds any interest for me and I rarely go to the movies these days.   If you want a good laugh, though, I read a little blurb on box office happenings from the weekend, and while "Argo" had a strong opening weekend, it wasn't number one.   It said that "Argo" was  seen by an "older audience" -- "OLD" being OVER 25.   hahahahah.   Yes, that's right.  In movie sales-land, 25 is now considered old; there's no justice, even if you're still in your twenties -- but isn't that a relief?  ;)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

""OLD" being OVER 25."

Yikes.25?That would make me 2 old people and a toddler. 

Highly recomend "Argo".Alan Arkin and John Goodman played great roles.It was a smart,well put together movie that kept me engrossed.Very cool that it was a true story too.After the movie,most of the people stood and clapped (I doubt Ben Affleck could hear them though).It even had some good music including my favorite Keith Richards song 

The Led Zeppelin movie,not showing in my state.I think the nearest showing is 3-4 hours away.No thanks,I'll pass.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Grossed $2 MILLION dollars in one day.  

Not bad.  :P

And fans are demanding more showings --- that's right, two nights were not enough, even though the DVD's sale is imminent.  

Check it out:

There's a whole lotta love for Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day, the documentary that captured the classic rockers' 2007 performance at London's O2 Arena. According to the Hollywood Reporter, the concert film's opening night was so successful — grossing $2 million across 1,500 screens in 40 countries in October — its theatrical run has been extended to the places where fans want to see it most.

Thanks to online marketing platform Distrify, Led Heads around the world can request more screenings at their local theater by punching in their zip code. Variety reports that Distrify has been receiving 100,000 hits a day from eager fans, including 46,000 searches per day for showtimes and 4,000 demands per day for additional screenings. The top countries searching the flick are the U.S., the U.K., Japan, Brazil, Canada, Italy, Germany, France, Mexico, and Australia.

"On top of this excellent opening, what we are now seeing is film fans worldwide demanding repeat screenings," said Grant Calton, CEO of Omniverse, which distributes Celebration Day. He added, "Being able to target audiences is a key part of any film's release plan, but being able to track where there is demand gives the distributor and cinema operators the chance to react more actively to consumer demand in a way that hasn't been possible before."

The two-hour concert at the heart of Celebration Day was a tribute to late Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun. It reunited founding Led Zeppelin members Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, and John Paul Jones for the band's first headlining gig in 27 years. Jason Bonham, son of John Bonham, joined on drums. Classics "Kashmir" and "Stairway to Heaven" were standouts on the 16-song set list. Minds were blown.

http://www.spin.com/articles/led-zeppelin-celebration-day-more-screenings

(if you want a sample of the concert, a mere minute, they have part of "Black Dog" at the bottom of the page).  

The DVD will be out on November 19th for all you Led Heads.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

You know what, as much of a classic rock fan and a Zep fan as I am, the only way I could get interested in listening to some Zep right now is if they put out something new, which is likely not happening. 

There is just so much 'Zep-like' new music happening lately from artists like Joe Bonamassa and Jack White and Slash and Black Keys, and that is the stuff that is really interesting me these days. 

22. This post has been removed.