List one favorite song ( or Revolution 9- type non song) and tell briefly what you think it's all about.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

List one favorite song ( or Revolution 9- type non song) and tell briefly what you think it's all about.

Based on our previous discussions, you had to know this was coming.

Some are pretty obvious, some not.

FAIRIES WEAR BOOTS. - BLACK SABBATH

The song is about a man who sees fantastic , crazy things. He believes they are real.

Everybody thinks he's nuts, he goes to a doctor and the doctor tells him he is not crazy, he just takes to many drugs and smokes too much pot, and possibly drinks too much....therefore he sees things that are not really there, like fairytale creatures dancing around in boots. Pretty simple, I think. But I'll bet someone else had a different opinion, if they ever even stopped to think about it.

I started out with a not very complex song, I am sure we will have deeper songs as we go along.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: List one favorite song ( or Revolution 9- type non song) and tell briefly what you think it's all about.

I will come up with a couple - just trying to think of ones where the meaning is not so obvious.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: List one favorite song ( or Revolution 9- type non song) and tell briefly what you think it's all about.

"One Of These Days" - Pink Floyd

To me, this song is all about the creation and expansion of the universe, starting from an inscrutable, infintessimal point, at first slow but steady, then gradually increasing and aging, dividing and sub-dividing, building stars and planets, then destroying them to create thousands more.

The only lyric, "One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces", is the universe manifest through language, primitive and cruel, with both a threat and a promise that as the universe gets larger, our position and stature in it only gets smaller and smaller...

...until the END when it all collapses on itself in disordered but intentional cacophany.

[poseur alert]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I on the other hand will come up with a couple - just trying to think of ones where the meaning is obvious by only listening to the song and not reading the lyrics.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Easy:  My favourite song is "Flexible Flyer" by Husker Du (my favourite band).   A brilliant allegory of a brilliant allegory i.e. Citizen Kane is about the tragedy of lost innocence in the pursuit of nothing important ("The unspeakable in hot pursuit of the inedible").  

Northern kids like Bob Mould, me and, presumably, most of you had little red plastic sleds called "Flexible Flyers" when we grew up.

Down on my flexible flyer

To the bottom how fast I would go

Just waiting for me under the tree

And out in the snow

A cowboy, a nurse or a fireman

There's so many things that you can be

You can set bigger goals, but set your soul

Yeah, set your soul free

Times, places and situations

Lead us to an early grave

When we look back we see

Just what did we save?

If your heart is a flame burning brightly

You'll have light and you'll never be cold

And soon you must know that you just grow

You're not growing old

Lead to an early grave

When we look back we see

Just what did we save?

Lead us to an early grave

When we look back we see

Just what did we save?

If the wheels of your wagon are rusty

You can paint them until they are new

You can roll down a hill, but if you can't

Then I pity you

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

OK here's one: Pictures of Lily by the Who.  I'm reading Townshend's autobiography right now and he says that when he first starting writing the lyrics it wasn't meant to be about masturbation, but when he realized that's the way it was being interpreted he had to admit he could understand why, and didn't bother trying to say otherwise.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I on the other hand will come up with a couple - just trying to think of ones where the meaning is obvious by only listening to the song and not reading the lyrics.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent idea!  I'll offer "Slots o' Fun" by my favourite surf band, the Phantom Surfers. Being a surf band, they obviously play mostly/only instrumentals.  They also love slot car racing....they even recorded an entire LP in tribute to it.  But on their debut LP, "18 Deadly Ones" their track "Slots o' Fun" sounds exactly like slot car racing....to me, anyway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"Brown Eyed Handsome Man" - Chuck Berry

An anthem of black pride.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OK here's one: Pictures of Lily by the Who.  I'm reading Townshend's autobiography right now and he says that when he first starting writing the lyrics it wasn't meant to be about masturbation, but when he realized that's the way it was being interpreted he had to admit he could understand why, and didn't bother trying to say otherwise.

[/QUOTE]

After he did some research, presumably....ok, that's an unoriginal cheap s-h-o-t....but hardly undeserved.

Hi hf! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"I Don't Live Today" - Jimi Hendrix

An existentialist lament.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I hate symbols, polls, national/state/town anthems/flags/birds/trees/ad nauseum....who gives a ship, either you behave well or you don't.

Wasn't there a recent attempt to create some sort of official Massachusetts song?  Was there a "winner"?  I hope it wasn't the brilliant, wildly underrated Jonathan Richman.  He deserves much more acclaim than he's ever received....but certainly not the shame of winning some pokey poll.

{also - I've been saying for decades that there are only 3 acceptable things for musicians to say on stage.  Not "Hello Cleveland"....not "This one goes out to my great friend Bob Dylan" and certainly not (if they haven't written a good song in 10+ years) "we're gonna play some tracks off our new album now".  They are "One two", "One two three" and "One two three four".  The exception that proves the rule?:}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgRYncR1Nog

One two three four five six!

Roadrunner, roadrunner
    Going faster miles an hour
    Gonna drive past the Stop 'n' Shop
    With the radio on
    I'm in love with Massachusetts
    And the neon when it's cold outside
    And the highway when it's late at night
    Got the radio on
    I'm like the roadrunner

Alright
    I'm in love with modern moonlight
    128 when it's dark outside
    I'm in love with Massachusetts
    I'm in love with the radio on
    It helps me from being alone late at night
    It helps me from being lonely late at night
    I don't feel so bad now in the car
    Don't feel so alone, got the radio on
    Like the roadrunner
    That's right

Said welcome to the spirit of 1956
    Patient in the bushes next to '57
    The highway is your girlfriend as you go by quick
    Suburban trees, suburban speed
    And it smells like heaven(thunder)
    And I say roadrunner once
    Roadrunner twice
    I'm in love with rock & roll and I'll be out all night
    Roadrunner
    That's right

Well now
    Roadrunner, roadrunner
    Going faster miles an hour
    Gonna drive to the Stop 'n' Shop
    With the radio on at night
    And me in love with modern moonlight
    Me in love with modern rock & roll
    Modern girls and modern rock & roll
    Don't feel so alone, got the radio on
    Like the roadrunner
    O.K., now you sing Modern Lovers

(Radio On!)
    I got the AM
    (Radio On!)
    Got the car, got the AM
    (Radio On!)
    Got the AM sound, got the
    (Radio On!)
    Got the rockin' modern neon sound
    (Radio On!)
    I got the car from Massachusetts, got the
    (Radio On!)
    I got the power of Massachusetts when it's late at night
    (Radio On!)
    I got the modern sounds of modern Massachusetts
    I've got the world, got the turnpike, got the
    I've got the, got the power of the AM
    Got the, late at night, (?), rock & roll late at night
    The factories and the auto signs got the power of modern sounds
    Alright

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I just bought my first Husker Du CD, Zen Arcade.  I like it...very intense.  They certainly had a big influence on bands like Soul Asylum.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Easy:  My favourite song is "Flexible Flyer" by Husker Du (my favourite band).   A brilliant allegory of a brilliant allegory i.e. Citizen Kane is about the tragedy of lost innocence in the pursuit of nothing important ("The unspeakable in hot pursuit of the inedible").  

Northern kids like Bob Mould, me and, presumably, most of you had little red plastic sleds called "Flexible Flyers" when we grew up.

[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Okay, let's return to the Neil Young theme, since this is the inspiration of this thread.

Anyone want to take an attempt at Neil's song 'Last Trip To Tulsa' from his first solo album?

I have listened to this song many times since I bought the album back in the mid 70's. 

Other than the final verse, where the character is chopping down a palm tree, and the other guy asks if he was lonely and needed a companion to help....the lead character says, " No, it's not a case of being lonely" , but that he's determined to chop this tree down....the 2nd character , angry over not be allowed to help out....goes back to his "CADILLAC" ....the palm tree falls and lands on his back....which reveals why the tree wasn't felled until that precise moment. 

However, I really don't know how to decipher the rest of the song....except maybe a bad dream or a bad trip ( the title does contain the word "trip", so I've always thought that may be what it's about). I love this song, but's pretty wierd...which is probably why I like it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

But before we go the the Neil Young theme, my song is:

Time Waits For No One - The Rolling Stones

The title of this song is echoed throughout the song and not much explanation is really needed as to what the song is about ... time obviously is not on your side.

This is amongst the most underrated of Rolling Stones works and a good mellow song to listen to.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Okay, let's return to the Neil Young theme, since this is the inspiration of this thread.

Anyone want to take an attempt at Neil's song 'Last Trip To Tulsa' from his first solo album?

I have listened to this song many times since I bought the album back in the mid 70's. 

Other than the final verse, where the character is chopping down a palm tree, and the other guy asks if he was lonely and needed a companion to help....the lead character says, " No, it's not a case of being lonely" , but that he's determined to chop this tree down....the 2nd character , angry over not be allowed to help out....goes back to his "CADILLAC" ....the palm tree falls and lands on his back....which reveals why the tree wasn't felled until that precise moment. 

However, I really don't know how to decipher the rest of the song....except maybe a bad dream or a bad trip ( the title does contain the word "trip", so I've always thought that may be what it's about). I love this song, but's pretty wierd...which is probably why I like it.

I have nothing to say here, other than Neil may have had a few issues to work out when he wrote this song.  

That last verse alone could be the topic of a term paper.   Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Not sure I get this thread, but here's my offering:

Obla di Obla da -- ???   Does this fit?   It's a song about nothing special, simply the daily happenings of life, the cycle of life in a nutshell, and you don't need to know any of the lyrics to feel the happy spirit conveyed, although hearing "life goes on" is unavoidable.   You just assume it's about rolling with it. 

The music is uplifting, happy, light, and the only polarizing aspect of the song is that it's one  of those Beatles' songs that people seem to either love or dislike it pretty intensely. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Obla di Obla da -- ???   Does this fit?   It's a song about nothing special, simply the daily happenings of life, the cycle of life in a nutshell, and you don't need to know any of the lyrics to feel the happy spirit conveyed, although hearing "life goes on" is unavoidable.   You just assume it's about rolling with it. 

The music is uplifting, happy, light, and the only polarizing aspect of the song is that it's one  of those Beatles' songs that people seem to either love or dislike it pretty intensely. 

[/QUOTE]

Lennon hated this song so much, he referred to it as 'Paul's granny s**t.' Laughing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

" Someday Never Comes" - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Life is an inscrutable mystery.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lennon hated this song so much, he referred to it as 'Paul's granny s**t.' Laughing

[/QUOTE]

It's a popular song , played more than many Beatles songs of greater value ( in my mind). 

It's catchy, no one will say they are absorbed in the lyrics. 

It's pretty simple :

Boy: Desmond meets Girl: Molly.

They get married: "buys a twenty carat golden ring."

They have a family: "Built a home sweet home with a couple of kids running in the yard."

and life goes on...."ob-la-di-ob-la-da"....

I thought the reference of "Desmond stays at home and does his pretty face" was a hint that Desmond was some sort of transvestite or cross-dresser...but it seems that the boys messed up the lyrics on one of the takes and they thought it was funny so left it that way.....at least this is what I read.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

I just bought my first Husker Du CD, Zen Arcade.  I like it...very intense.  They certainly had a big influence on bands like Soul Asylum.

[/QUOTE]

Hf, I could bore for Boston about Husker Du.  Again, my favourite band ever.  Lots of fans rate "Zen Arcade" as their favourite HD record....I don't, I prefer "Flip Your Wig" because it's more melodic.  JMO.  At their best, IMO, a wonderful, brilliant, 100-MPH punk rock band (at the time) but 0% big swinging DDDick rock and roll.

Of the 4,000 - 5,000 gigs I've been to.....number one with a bullet was Husker Du at the Living Room in Providence around 1986.  Why?

Musically and lyrically my favourite band ever.....but at the time?.....me and my mates....everyone that knew the band....knew that Bob Mould was gay, his on/off partner was the bisexual drummer Grant Hart....and nobody I knew gave a 51it! Why would you?

Today, that is or should be nothing....but then?

They also had signs saying "No stage diving" and many giant men stopping such shenanigans.   XXXX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox6ri1H49t4

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hf, I could bore for Boston about Husker Du.  Again, my favourite band ever.  Lots of fans rate "Zen Arcade" as their favourite HD record....I don't, I prefer "Flip Your Wig" because it's more melodic.  JMO.  At their best, IMO, a wonderful, brilliant, 100-MPH punk rock band (at the time) but 0% big swinging DDDick rock and roll.

[/QUOTE]

Sonics, I will add "Flip Your Wig" to my upcoming CD purchases.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Bob Mould' solo work is good also, so are his later band Sugar's  recordings.

yoga did a thread about Bob Mould waaaay back. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

But before we go the the Neil Young theme, my song is:

Time Waits For No One - The Rolling Stones

The title of this song is echoed throughout the song and not much explanation is really needed as to what the song is about ... time obviously is not on your side.

This is amongst the most underrated of Rolling Stones works and a good mellow song to listen to.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting....I don't love it....it's ok to me....I tend to rate more upbeat songs.  On the subject:

To me, the greatest Stones years were '65-'67.  '68-'71?  Great! Love it all! But to me, the great riffy tracks from that era don't stand up to Paint It Black, Ruby Tuesday, Shadows, etc.  JMO.

Underrated?  St. Zappa the Genius crucified every "concept" album post-Sgt Pepper with "We're only in it for the money"....but IMO "Rainbow" is genius, as is "Citadel".... "2000 Light Years" is hugely underrated....blah blah blah...

For me?  Main Street is wildly underrated in the same sense that, IMO, the Kinks generally are wildly underated.  Why?  I love the Stones' early, simple, r&b stuff mainly, as I wrote....and I also love their riffy rock era.  But Main Street? - and it is IN NO WAY my favourite Stones album! - but I think it's their best.