Lost Zeppelin.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Lost Zeppelin.....

Found this in Rolling Stone.....

In a recent interview with BBC Radio 6, Robert Plant revealed that he has unearthed some previously unreleased Led Zeppelin recordings. When the DJs asked him about "hidden gems" on the forthcoming remasters of the band's catalog, he said he'd discovered a few.

"I found some quarter-inch spools recently," he said. "I had a meeting with Jimmy [Page] and we baked 'em up and listened to 'em. And there's some very, very interesting bits and pieces that probably will turn up on these things."

Among them are some recordings featuring the group's bassist and keyboardist John Paul Jones on lead vocals. "So far, he's going to give me two cars and a greenhouse not to get 'em on the album," Plant said with a hearty laugh. "Oh, John, wherever you are with your opera, John, you can't wait to hear yourself singing all over the world." (Jones is writing an opera with Robyn Hitchcock and the Norwegian group Supersilent.)

Last year, Page told Rolling Stone that he's been working on an extensive remastering of Led Zeppelin's oeuvre. "The catalog was last remastered 20 years ago," the guitarist said, referring to the 1990 release of the four-CD box set Led Zeppelin. "That's a long time. Everything is being transferred from analog to a higher-resolution digital format. That's one of the problems with the Zeppelin stuff. It sounds ridiculous on MP3. You can't hear what's there properly." He also revealed that while the group didn't record many additional songs when making records, they did record "different versions of things, different approaches to the mixes." He said the band would include "the substantial stuff" in the reissues.

Currently, there is no release date for the remastered catalog. 

Gotta ask, as a die hard fan of your favorite group (any group, including Zep) At what point do you stop buying? If you could get a song with a different take than the one released would that be worth buying???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Lost Zeppelin.....

I would pay again if the sound was truly improved over the previous re-masters, if maybe just for my favorites vs. the whole catalog.  Page's point about mp3 quality is well-taken, IMO.

As for the songs with JPJ singing, well...there may be a reason why they were never released.

I'm more interested in higher-quality live stuff at this point, anyway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I have become very tired of reissues that offer a small handful of "rarites."

Rarities are good when they are something you would actually want to hear.

I have given up on many of these, because they are just a new of separating you from hard earned money.

What I hate most is when they try to get you to shell out money for a box set, and the 6 "bonus" tracks are most like "bogus" tracks.

For me, it's getting harder and harder to believe that there is much of anything real good out there by any major group that hasn't been released yet. I don't necessarily want to hear an "alternate" version of a song that is already good and the alternate is different and not as good.

Many times these versions they didn't release weren't released for a good reason.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would pay again if the sound was truly improved over the previous re-masters, if maybe just for my favorites vs. the whole catalog.  Page's point about mp3 quality is well-taken, IMO.

As for the songs with JPJ singing, well...there may be a reason why they were never released.

[/QUOTE]

Ego and money.

[/QUOTE]

Is it more egotistical to keep music in the "vaults" or release as part of yet another "rarities" collection to cash in...?

Mileage may vary....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

No, what I meant was, the reason why JPJs work wasn't allowed on albums was due to Page/Plant wanting exclusive royalties via BMI or whoever they were registering with at the time.  

I will just laugh if the songs from JPJ even with weaker vocals, are very good.

Much of the production and possible songwriting itself, in terms of fleshing out the songs on Presence (and maybe to some degree Phyiscal Graffiti), was from JPJ. Page was all whacked out on H from 1975 on. 

[/QUOTE]

As I understand it, Page was pretty heavily involved with Presence.  He was the one who wanted them to put out a guitar-heavy album like that.  It was after that that he really lost it, and In Through the Out Door was the one where Jones had to step up and do a big chunk of the work.

Just trying to keep the timeline of Jimmy's heroin addiction straight here. :-)    

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ego and money.

[/QUOTE]

Is it more egotistical to keep music in the "vaults" or release as part of yet another "rarities" collection to cash in...?

Mileage may vary....

[/QUOTE]

No, what I meant was, the reason why JPJs work wasn't allowed on albums was due to Page/Plant wanting exclusive royalties via BMI or whoever they were registering with at the time.  

Much of the production and possible songwriting itself, in terms of fleshing out the songs on Presence (and maybe to some degree Phyiscal Graffiti), was from JPJ. Page was all whacked out on H from 1975 on. 

Listen to some of the late 70s bootlegs. Page isn't even there, he's just all over place on the leads.

JPJ has done a lot of work with others, across many genres both with production and session work through the years, and I just wonder how much stuff got scrapped because Page didn't initiate the melody of song.

Let's face it, past Phyiscal Graffiti, it was slime pickens.  It's why it took them 3 years to dribble out In Through the Out Door in '79.

This is definitely a cash in thing, which is fine. If it sucked, I doubt they'd sign off on it at this point.  They're not that hard up for cash.

I always felt like bands should just find a way to release it all anyway.  Usually, it's an ego or money thing at some point or they want to wait for their box set years later, so they have that ace in the hole.  Understandable.

PJ is good about it. They release pretty much everything they have at the time.  

How about that killer Stones song they left off of Exile they released in 2010?  Plundered My Soul? Killer tune.

[/QUOTE]

So presumably, JPJ has a body of work that didn't get made with Zep...other than these couple of tunes Plant is referring to, that is....?

And what...JPJ is holding back on these out of spite, or because Page has his hands tied?  That seems a bit far-fetched, even given the late history you mentioned and which I'm aware of.  What would Jones have to lose by calling out Page for such behavior...?  Maybe he just thinks it's no big deal and has moved on after 35 years.

JPJ seems to have expressed his desire to Plant for these not to see the light of day.  His choice.

Sorry, but I'm unconvinced that artists have any obligation to release anything they don't think meets their own standard or if it's something too personal to expose to the masses.  Prince reportedly has hundreds of recordings he may never release or might wait until he passes away.  Either way, that's up to him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ego and money.

[/QUOTE]

Mileage may vary....

[/QUOTE]

Listen to some of the late 70s bootlegs. Page isn't even there, he's just all over place on the leads.

JPJ has done a lot of work with others, across many genres both with production and session work through the years, and I just wonder how much stuff got scrapped because Page didn't initiate the melody of song.

Let's face it, past Phyiscal Graffiti, it was slime pickens.  It's why it took them 3 years to dribble out In Through the Out Door in '79.

This is definitely a cash in thing, which is fine. If it sucked, I doubt they'd sign off on it at this point.  They're not that hard up for cash.

I always felt like bands should just find a way to release it all anyway.  Usually, it's an ego or money thing at some point or they want to wait for their box set years later, so they have that ace in the hole.  Understandable.

PJ is good about it. They release pretty much everything they have at the time.  

How about that killer Stones song they left off of Exile they released in 2010?  Plundered My Soul? Killer tune.

[/QUOTE]

So presumably, JPJ has a body of work that didn't get made with Zep...other than these couple of tunes Plant is referring to, that is....?

And what...JPJ is holding back on these out of spite, or because Page has his hands tied?  That seems a bit far-fetched, even given the late history you mentioned and which I'm aware of.  What would Jones have to lose by calling out Page for such behavior...?  Maybe he just thinks it's no big deal and has moved on after 35 years.

JPJ seems to have expressed his desire to Plant for these not to see the light of day.  His choice.

Sorry, but I'm unconvinced that artists have any obligation to release anything they don't think meets their own standard or if it's something too personal to expose to the masses.  Prince reportedly has hundreds of recordings he may never release or might wait until he passes away.  Either way, that's up to him.

[/QUOTE]

Page/Plant took the majority of the package since they were chief songwriters, so if JPJ wote something, why would he hand it over to Zeppelin and only see say, 20% of what he would have seen on his own record under another label with a better deal as solo material?

Then again, if it was done on Zeppelin time, the record company technically owns those masters.

So, anything he sang on, wasn't just him writing to contribute on a tune like Night Flight or whatever but literally all of the parts were HIS. Hence, why he put lyrics and vocals on whatever PLant unearthed.  I am just curious how good the material is if Page/Plant are looking to put their stamp on it.

Obviously we have no idea how their %s broke down in terms of royalties, but I always got the impression Page and Plant took up 75% as a duo, if not more.

If I am not mistaken, every song in the catalog is registered under the "Page/Plant" moniker, minus maybe a handful, with whichever outfit they reigstered their songs with (BMI, ASCAP, etc).

[/QUOTE]

I know very little about how they divvied up the credits, royalties, etc.  But I also haven't seen anything from Jones in dispute of the same.  Any first-hand reports would be welcome.  (I did read somewhere that they sold their entire catalog to Atlantic in 1981, but I haven't corroborated it.)

Jones is still highly respected and an integral part of the band as their only true multi-instrumentalist.  No Quarter, All My Love, Kashmir, and numerous mellotron tracks all attest to the musician in the man.

That said, we are talking about a band that were incredible stylists.  They begged, borrowed and stole some of their best lines but still made them unmistakably "Zeppelin-esque".  Plant's lyrics often bordered on the silly, and Page never met a riff he didn't like.  (Fwiw, both Page and Jones played uncredited on dozens of 60's british hits.)

As both a fan and objective analyst, I've heard most of the grumbling and 'rip-off' talk.  Some is valid, but most is specious, at best, IMO.  Some might be professional jealousy or just contrarianism, I don't know.  But it's pretty hard to argue with the body of work they left and the generations of fans and thousands of bands they inspired.

As Picasso said, "Good artists borrow; great artists steal."