Mick Jagger; Robert Plant; Roger Daltry; Freddie Mercury; Michael Stipe; Chris Cornell; Layne Staley; Thom Yorke

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Mick Jagger; Robert Plant; Roger Daltry; Freddie Mercury; Michael Stipe; Chris Cornell; Layne Staley; Thom Yorke

Who is King?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: Mick Jagger; Robert Plant; Roger Daltry; Freddie Mercury; Michael Stipe; Chris Cornell; Layne Staley; Thom Yorke

For my money:
    Chris Cornell has the best rock singer voice around. The guy is a banshee. 
    Freddie best all around voice. 
    Thom Yorke for making the most of his vocal deficiencies.

Honorable mention: Dave Grohl

As far as stage prescence, etc, I'll have to bow out for this one...but I will say definitely not Michael Stipe, haha.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Mick Jagger; Robert Plant; Roger Daltry; Freddie Mercury; Michael Stipe; Chris Cornell; Layne Staley; Thom Yorke

In Response to Re: Mick Jagger; Robert Plant; Roger Daltry; Freddie Mercury; Michael Stipe; Chris Cornell; Layne Staley; Thom Yorke:
    [QUOTE]For my money: Chris Cornell has the best rock singer voice around. The guy is a banshee.  Freddie best all around voice.  Thom Yorke for making the most of his vocal deficiencies. Honorable mention: Dave Grohl As far as stage prescence, etc, I'll have to bow out for this one...but I will say definitely not Michael Stipe, haha.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

For honorable mention, I would put up Geoff Tate of Queensryche and Ian Gillian of Deep Purple. And everytime I listen to Dear Prudence, I am moved to mention John Lennon into the discussion.

My list was created using all decades and those singers who I thought brought so much more than lungs to the table.

I agree with you regarding Chris Cornell. The man's voice is unbelievable and we all know my opinion about Freddie (he is the king IMO). I actually prefer Daltry over Plant and I never tought Jagger's voice was all that special. But the man could perform and write.

With the help of so many of you, I have had the chance to listen to bands that have arrived on the scene these last 15 years that I never knew about. But to answer my own question, and trying to be as objective as one can be on this subject, I admit to still be in complete awe of Freddie Mercury. He was the perfect singer, songwriter and Rockstar that ever was. I don't think we will ever see the likes of him again.

Interestingly enough and I don't know how true this is as I had read it in Wiki, supposedly Cobain mentioned Freddie in his suicide letter, when he wrote of how he both admired and envied Mercury for being able to love his audience and fans and able to always give his all for them. (something like that)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

I was very pleased to see that you included Yorke though, as I will be forever biased towards Radiohead.  If you haven't seen them live, you must.  At least check out some youtube clips.  I can recommend if necessary, haha.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

For me, it's either Plant or Jagger...(longevity counts)

...but given Sir Robert's rather impressive body of work these past few years (and indeed most of his solid-but-not-flashy solo material)...

Plant is my pick for All-Time Heavyweight Champion Rock n' Roll Singer.

Freddie is a very close third but for his all-too brief tenure on this earth.

Eddie Vedder could easily stand alongside Cornell and Staley as a rep of his generation.

So, too, could Steven Tyler on the strength of his voice if not necessarily the material.  Ditto Bono...who when at his best was extraordinary and uber-passionate.

I have a feeling that Michael Stipe doesn't belong here, but I can't explain why....

Yorke is well on his way to the top tier.

And some may dispute, but I think Neil Young is incredibly underrated as a singer.  There's a certain authenticity and ethereal quality about Neil's voice that can be equally glorious and humble.  He can howl; he can croon; but he never, ever sounds like he's phoning it in. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

1965-1975: Daltrey
    1975-1990: Mercury
    1990-now: Cornell

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Joe Strummer.. head and shoulders above.. (for me that is).. Mercury was a heck of prescence..Ditto Lux Interior and Iggy Pop

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Mick Jagger; Robert Plant; Roger Daltry; Freddie Mercury; Michael Stipe; Chris Cornell; Layne Staley; Thom Yorke:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mick Jagger; Robert Plant; Roger Daltry; Freddie Mercury; Michael Stipe; Chris Cornell; Layne Staley; Thom Yorke :
    I agree with you regarding Chris Cornell. The man's voice is unbelievable and we all know my opinion about Freddie (he is the king IMO). With the help of so many of you, I have had the chance to listen to bands that have arrived on the scene these last 15 years that I never knew about. But to answer my own question, and trying to be as objective as one can be on this subject, I admit to still be in complete awe of Freddie Mercury. 
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    Agree on the forum being instrumental in introducing me to so much new music  -- it blows my mind, already, you know?  :)

And thanks to you, JE, I have to say I never realized how amazing Freddie Mercury really was until I heard you beat that drum around here, and I will agree with you.   

For hotness, I finally get to cast a vote for Chris Cornell.  :)

And while he isn't king by any means, I think props should go to Eddie Vedder as well; look at all the wannabes out there, it's actually annoying hearing so many singers who try to clone him.   He remains the one and only and "PJ20" helped cement that image.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Well, I don't know about "king."

But ( as shown by this picture) one man stands alone as "king of the hill!"

JUST SAY OZZY.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Elvis is King.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Well, I don't know about "king." But ( as shown by this picture) one man stands alone as "king of the hill!" JUST SAY OZZY.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I debated on Ozzy as I think his voice is completely under-rated. His album, No More Tears really shows a tenderness in his voice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Out of the batch you picked, Layne Staley. Huge range, menacing/ghoulish style ( But See Unplugged !), and virtually unmatched power and accuracy live. I think James Maynard Keenan deserves an honorable mention here, though. (Boy was it predictable I'd say that). I do like Chris Cornell a lot as a singer, but to me, his voice lacks a sort of menacing/ghoulish edge. I cannot say Jagger is King in light of the last twenty thirty years. I have a hard time putting it in words, but he basically exagerrated the qualities that started appearing more in 72 and on. But songs like "Gimmee Shelter" ...   awesome singing (as well as everything else about the song). And earlier ones (ie, how he sounds on the '66 live album). _____ A caveat though. I think Freddie, Plant, or young Jagger would be the three Kings of that kind of rock. I think a band like AIC simply demands a voice like Layne's. If you put Freddie with Cantrell and the rest, it would sound awful. And Layne is simply not going to do a good job with Bohemian Rhapsody. Etc.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

I think you under-estimate both Layne and Freddie. If you take away the fact that they are two generations away from each other, if you were to reverse DOB's for both but they keep the same talent, I can easily see Freddie going at it with Jerry and Layne having at it with Roger and Brian. It is a matter of closing your eyes to the genre's of music which they appeared in and just listening to the magic in their voices.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Not the best voice but he was iconic.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

1. Plant
    1a. Mercury

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

If we are talking in terms of sheer talent/ability, Matt Bellamy of Muse takes the cake for me.  Vocals are unbelievable, the best at falsetto since Freddie himself IMHO...but the real killer stuff is what he does on this custom built Manson guitar (with touch screen effects pad and insane frequency knobs), or his virtuosity at classical style-infused piano, more often than not singing incredibly at the same time.

It's no secret this guy's favorite band is a Queen, and it shows in the music.

JESSEY, you should take note of this.

Check these out. Seen them live 5 times, and was blown away by the first time I saw them...on their first US tour (the first leg of which they had just sold out Wembley Stadium), in a half filled gymnasium.  Amazing.

plug in baby

new born

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]1965-1975: Daltrey 1975-1990: Mercury 1990-now: Cornell
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I'd take Daltry. I always thought that if God was to sculpt a lead singer in terms of voice, stage presence, looks, aura, etc., Daltry would be the result.

But your list is a good way to get Mercury included. (Plant would always be 1A for both eras).

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Gotta go with Plant/Jagger. But the list deserves to include Ian Andersen, Greg Lake and Jon Andersen. And kudos to whomever added Ian Gillan.  He's Jesus Christ afterall.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Man you really like your Anglo voices!  J/K

If you were going to choose a voice for purity and beauty, Greg Lake's might be the winner.  Another strong Anglo voice on the same lines as Lake is John Wetton, who was with King Crimson and is probably best known as the voice of Asia.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Getting away from the question of who is "king", but not too far off the subject...here are 3 of Metal's top vocalists, that need to be mentioned in this thread:

Rob Halford

Klaus Meine

Bon Scott

Larry the Cabl..........
    ...Hey...how'd he get in there?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Where's Ronnie James?
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]
    Ronnie had a great voice, but I really was never impressed with his writing.

When thinking this through, I was really looking at the whole packag; writing, singing; Freddie; Roger, Robert; Layne; Chris and Geoff Tate just have it all.

One more honorable mention - Paul Rodgers

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mick Jagger; Robert Plant; Roger Daltry; Freddie Mercury; Michael Stipe; Chris Cornell; Layne Staley; Thom Yorke : Man you really like your Anglo voices!  J/K If you were going to choose a voice for purity and beauty, Greg Lake's might be the winner.  Another strong Anglo voice on the same lines as Lake is John Wetton, who was with King Crimson and is probably best known as the voice of Asia.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

nice call on Lake! His voice is a musical instrument on it's own. The amazing thing about him, was that he was even better live.

Staley and Plant would be my choices among the singers listed. Staley was just hypnotic, and Plant has such great range and can sing just about anything.