MMW at Jordan Hall

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

MMW at Jordan Hall

Got to catch Medeski Martin and Wood at Jordan Hall this past Friday.  They played an acoustic show.  Simply amazing.  I can't think of a better place to see a small acoustic combo than Jordan Hall.  The acoustics are amazing.  It only seats about 1000 people and everyone is close to the stage.

My seats were about 5 rows back.

MMW played really, really well.  They played some stuff that was out there and then some stuff that was a little more accessible.  It was fun watching them play. 

I'd seen them play electronic shows at bigger venues a few tiimes.  The acoustic show was something completely different.  It's been 4 days since the show and I'm still thinking about it.

The whole combination of the band and Jordan Hall was special.  It was more than a muscial performance.  The only way I can describe it is to say it was like watching 3 people create art.  It was as much a visual experience as it was auditory and all they did was play with minimal lighting.

I keep trying to figure out if one of the three is better than the other 2.  But I can't.  I think they are all equally amazing.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: MMW at Jordan Hall

Great band, MMW. Sounds like it was a great show, DWL.

I read they were touring again with John Scofield, but I missed them last time around (though I did catch Medeski as part of a gospel-ish band The Word with Robert Randolph at Mountain Jam this year).

MMW are an interesting group, at home just as much with the jam-band scene as well as alt-hip-hop and jazz crowds.  My little sister actually turned me on to them when I visited her in college.  "Combustication" is one of my favorite jazz albums ever.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Matty, pick up their new CD called "Free Magic".  It's acoustic versions of stuff they usually play electronically.  Really, really good.  I think it should win a Grammy.  Many of the songs on Free Magic were performed at Jordan Hall.

I've been listening to it constantly since I picked it last Wednesday.  There are a couple of songs that get in your head.

I listen to it focusing on different instruments.  I think Billy Martin is simply a great drummer.

I love combustication.  It's one of the great CDs of all time.

I got turned on to MMW while channel surfing.  They were playing stuff from combustication and it clicked immediately.

When I saw them on TV, I thought John Medeski was THE guy.  Then I saw them live, and I thought Chris Wood was the THE guy.  I saw them another time and thought Billy Martin was THE guy.  Now, I think all three are incredibly talented musicians and were brought together in a miracle.

At Jordan Hall, it was like they were playing in my Living room but with better acoustics.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to bellhorn_'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

"one of the great CD's of all time".....who are these people?

Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown

[/QUOTE]

Have you ever considered not being a dooshbag?