MTV Turns 30 This Weekend

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

MTV Turns 30 This Weekend

VH1 Classic is running the "best of" MTV's 30 years all this weekend.

Here's hoping they focus more on their earlier musical roots instead of their latter, schlocky, reality-based abomination.

And is it just me, or does anyone else really miss music videos on television?  Not just classics of the genre, but videos based on good new music.  A few years back, there was an attempt of a channel to bring them back in a non-commercial format.  Of course, it didn't last long.

VH1 Classic is pretty much the only game in town now, in between horrendously edited (censored) versions of movies featuring decent music.  However, I went to their website which they advertise has having tons of videos and was frustrated by their poor selection.

Either way, I'll be watching this weekend (on DVR to skip through ads) to re-live some audiovisual memories of my formative years and flash puppy-dog eyes at a younger Ms. Quinn.

Comments?  Recollections?  Anecdotes??  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: MTV Turns 30 This Weekend

Mostly I've never had much use for MTV.

I liked Fuse for a while there, especially the metal shows, but I don't think my current provider offers it. I don't know if they're still any good or if they've gone the MTV reality show rout.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

For me, MTV's "Unplugged," was groundbreaking in the way we got to see our favorite bands perform. From Dylan to Blondie, to Gilmour and Tesla, everyone who was anyone showed up and played. Some of those performances including Nirvana's, AIC and Clapton really stand out.

edit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Personally, I can't even count how many bands I was turned on to by 120 Minutes or even Headbanger's Ball.

Which prompts a leading question...was the prominence of videos in the music world a sub-generational phenomenon?? 

By this I mean, if you were a bit older or a bit younger, its relevance was considerably less.

[Full disclosure: I'm in my late 30s, and we had cable in '79.  In fact, there was even a competing video channel on UHF...Q66 or something like that.  HBO regularly ran "video jukebox" in between movies.]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

n Response to Re: MTV Turns 30 This Weekend:
    [QUOTE]Personally, I can't even count how many bands I was turned on to by 120 Minutes or even Headbanger's Ball. Which prompts a leading question...was the prominence of videos in the music world a sub-generational phenomenon??  By this I mean, if you were a bit older or a bit younger, its relevance was considerably less. [Full disclosure: I'm in my late 30s, and we had cable in '79.  In fact, there was even a competing video channel on UHF...Q66 or something like that.  HBO regularly ran "video jukebox" in between movies.]
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I will admit that when I was a bit younger, I was a little transfixed by MTV.  Everyone was talking about it, but we could not get it on our cable system at the time, I finally did get to see it on a vacation trip to my Uncles in NYC. I remember being glued to the TV for hours and spending most of that trip just watching video after video (Devo, the Tubes, Ramones, Martha Quinn, etc....),

It was a great place to hear new music, and probably influenced many of my music purchases through the years, though some of those purchases have me scratching my head today.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

in RI we have a free channel called The Cool TV.  it plays music videos all day every day and has a few different genre-based segments, but at any given time i can turn it on and enjoy music videos ranging from killer live shows (oftentimes very old) to album cuts i never knew had videos from some seriously awesome artists.

one of the standout videos thus far is (a very young) neil young live playing Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black).

back to MTV, Yo MTV Raps! was HUGE for that scene.  TRL gave the fans a chance to watch what they wanted.  The list goes on, i saw that unplugged was already given the credit it deserves by polar (not bi-polar...ha!).

a little trivia 101 here:  what was the first ever video played on MTV?
    (easy hint: it's a little tongue-in-cheek)

(also, matty isn't allowed to answer)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In Response to Re: MTV Turns 30 This Weekend:
    [QUOTE]in RI we have a free channel called The Cool TV.  it plays music videos all day every day and has a few different genre-based segments, but at any given time i can turn it on and enjoy music videos ranging from killer live shows (oftentimes very old) to album cuts i never knew had videos from some seriously awesome artists. one of the standout videos thus far is (a very young) neil young live playing Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black). back to MTV, Yo MTV Raps! was HUGE for that scene.  TRL gave the fans a chance to watch what they wanted.  The list goes on, i saw that unplugged was already given the credit it deserves by polar (not bi-polar...ha!). a little trivia 101 here:  what was the first ever video played on MTV? (easy hint: it's a little tongue-in-cheek) (also, matty isn't allowed to answer)
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Bi-polar on many occasions.

The Bungles "Video Killed the Radio Star,"  Believe it or not, that was a question on a social studies test I took in college.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MTV Turns 30 This Weekend : Bi-polar on many occasions. The Bungles " Video Killed the Radio Star ,"  Believe it or not, that was a question on a social studies test I took in college.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

almost!  The Buggles *

that is odd, though

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I watched it for a few years in the early 80's until it became  M(ichael) (Jackson) T.V.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MTV Turns 30 This Weekend : almost!  The Buggles * that is odd, though
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Lol. I don't think I passed that social studies test either!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Never did have much use for music videos.

I much prefer to let the music make a movie in my head.

On a positive note, MTV did give us Beavis and Butthead . . .

so there's that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cable2006h. Show cable2006h's posts

Shame that they do not actually play any videos anymore.  They are a parody of what they once used to be.  I wouldn't watch MTV now if you paid me to.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

greg, that video changed MY world for sure.  I was the target age for that schoolgirl outfit, haha.  never listened to the music, but watched that video every time i got the chance.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Music videos were kind of fun in the early days.  There were some all-video shows on late at night on the weekend.  I remember one called 'All Hit Videos' or something like that.  The VJ seemed a little on the creepy side but that was part of the appeal.  The show always ended with Herbie Hancock's great 'Rockit' video.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Sad...

Watched a bit here and there, and it was almost all TV and little real music...some was even repeated, which I suppose is par for the course.

Very disappointing as media milestones go....

@ph - The Cool sounds...well, pretty cool...that would suit me well given that my major problem with TV (after ads) is the severe lack of quality music programmes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Sad... Watched a bit here and there, and it was almost all TV and little real music...some was even repeated, which I suppose is par for the course. Very disappointing as media milestones go.... @ph - The Cool sounds...well, pretty cool...that would suit me well given that my major problem with TV (after ads) is the severe lack of quality music programmes.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]Funny, but I've had a thread on my mind regarding music and tv, the fusion, so to speak.  Had a hard time articulating what I wanted to say (would lend itself better to an in-person conversation, needless to say).    

See, I think that the bar has been raised in the *use* of music in some mainstream TV.   But music programming in general?   Yeah, pretty much a dearth, IMHO.   But what do I know?

I'll see if I can come up with something.  Otherwise, I'll post the song list that was played in the series finale of one of my favorite TV programs that recently went off the air.  It was epic.  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]greg, that video changed MY world for sure.  I was the target age for that schoolgirl outfit, haha.  never listened to the music, but watched that video every time i got the chance.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]A very big deal was made of BS's video stardom, in fact.   It hit you when you were at the right age, so what else was a kid like you to do?   Glad it was a source of entertainment for ya.  :D

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MTV Turns 30 This Weekend : Funny, but I've had a thread on my mind regarding music and tv, the fusion, so to speak.  Had a hard time articulating what I wanted to say (would lend itself better to an in-person conversation, needless to say).     See, I think that the bar has been raised in the *use* of music in some mainstream TV.   But music programming in general?   Yeah, pretty much a dearth, IMHO.   But what do I know? I'll see if I can come up with something.  Otherwise, I'll post the song list that was played in the series finale of one of my favorite TV programs that recently went off the air.  It was epic.  :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Appreciated, yoga.

There are indeed some important distinctions to be made, especially as regards that irksome concept of artistic intent: the purpose behind the creation and presentation (or exploitation) of art/music into the public sphere.

After all, it's not like the idea of setting music to visuals and/or visuals to music is all that new.... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The truth is that MTV allowed bands to take a different path when it came to getting their music out. Prior to MTV, a band would need to tour almost immediately after an album was released to get the music out there. The video was a way to save the bands a ton of time and money. This is why when they actually did tour, the shows were very extravagent. If you look at record sales in the 80's, mediocre bands were selling 3 - 5 million albums. Only ten years earlier, that mark would have meant super stardom.

MTV had its place and basically died within 10 years. I don't think I have watched in since sometime back in the last 80's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

IMHO - although I think that all would have succeeded or continued to succeed in MJ's case, the following artists don't have nearly the impact on pop culture:

Madonna
    Michael Jackson
    Bon Jovi
    Poison

These 4 artists were made for MTV.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin. Show leafswin's posts

MTV is still around? Havent watched since 120 minutes left

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]MTV is still around? Havent watched since 120 minutes left
    Posted by leafswin[/QUOTE]

Likewise...

Lucky duckies we are though..."120 Minutes" is BACK (on MTV2) with Matt Pinfield hosting. 

I saw it's reboot on DVR, so it was more like "40 Minutes", but they did have some tweak-edited scenes with dave grohl and danger mouse and sleigh bells (cool).

OK, I guess, but not sure of its relevance in light of the inter-tubes....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i saw sleigh bells at the met a few months ago...i was very disappointed. it's all backing tracks! very disappointed.