My last post was not a lie....more of a failed aspiration ;-)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

My last post was not a lie....more of a failed aspiration ;-)

We (my 2 partners and I that have our dumb little Garage Punk record label) have an interesting (IMO) and unprecedented (for us) issue you might find interesting.

You are probably aware that CDs are comically cheap to manufacture....even for a little indie label with a modest pressing quantity, they are less than a US dollar to manufacture.  CDs are one of the all-time consumer rip-offs.

Vinyl is a whole other ballgame.  A label like us probably sells 3-4 times as many LPs as CDs.  If it were up to us, we would only release vinyl ('cause we know CDs look sh!t and mp3s sound even more sh1t) but a) our job is to spread our bands' music as widely as possible, and b)  even though we know the reality of the relative sound quality of vinyl vs. digital....who are we (old men) to tell teenagers what's cool?  ;-)

Anyway....the cost to press vinyl is about 4 times more (check this out, very interesting, if you dig it find Part 2 yourself  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUGRRUecBik) and is far more complex than CD replication.

In brief, you give the presser the masters (digital or tape) and they provide you with a "test pressing" (apols to the many whose knowledge dwarfs mine)....a white labelled LP that you need to listen to check the sound quality and sundry details like side a/b.  We were mortified a few years ago before we knew what to check so one of our top singles is the wrong way round.

We are nothing from nowhere, learning as we go along but there has never been an issue with the quality of the cut.  [this is so boring I can barely finish, sorry]

Tests arrived a couple of weeks ago.  My proper sound system is not here for even longer, more boring reasons.....but my flatmate has a killer, 50s/60s compact valve turntable that even has a 16 rpm option!  But it's skittish so when I played a test pressing it didn't just skip.....it skated across the LP which happens to many/most modern lightweight LPs .  So I went out to a local record shop that has a killer rig to play it....I played two tests, full on.  No issue at all.  So we told the presser to proceed.

Some of the stock LPs skip on some turntables, but not all, no logic to it. Presser is giving me sh1t, saying I didn't test the tests properly.  Absolutely false.

Not very interesting, sorry.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: My last post was not a lie....more of a failed aspiration ;-)

I always liked playing vinyl records. But, I have to admit, when you weren't careful with them they could become awful. I had very few with skips ,but when they did skip, I had a trick of putting a nickel on the stylus arm atop where the needle rides in the grooves and if played with this small weight a few times sometimes it would "cut" the vinyl and clear the skip, similar to how a tap or die works on screw threads. eventually I gave up on vinyl mainly because of convenience. CDs are much easier to handle , store and keep damage free. Also it's easier to cue up the individual track...I have many vivid memories of trying to get that needle at the start of the track in the middle of the side. Didn't always get it on the first, second or third try.

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."- Lily Tomlin

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I agree on convenience, particularly in cars before mp3s were invented.  I am pretty careful with my music, though not perfect, and I have vinyl from the 50s and even earlier that play pretty well despite some pops and cracks (that I can live with) and also CDs I bought in the early/mid 80s that are literally unplayable.  Some have split apart, others once you get a nick they are useless.

Coin on the arm often works, but it kills the stylus and the record.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

[QUOTE]

We (my 2 partners and I that have our dumb little Garage Punk record label) have an interesting (IMO) and unprecedented (for us) issue you might find interesting.

Not very interesting, sorry.  

You're right. This isn't very interesting.   At all.

Carry on.

[/QUOTE]

i·ro·ny   /ˈīrənē/   Noun The expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

===========================

Hi Sweetie!  You seem to be such a nice person!  I'm sure you are loved by all the people around you.  Live well.  xxxooo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Enjoy mean, ignornant Squaresville, Harvey!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoCFgVf6bAc

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Los Shakers, 1965, Uruguay, Big Boy.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zBLXS-v768

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

BTW....little boy Harvey....¡Viven!???

What interests you?  Claim your ground, or efff off into suburbia.....this is my current  favourite band in the world:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7E3dW0oSrU

===================

I'm aware that my passion for simple, primitive music is not universal......but "simple, primitive" <> "bad", in fact the opposite......best musician/git player/icon ever?  

Why it's obviouly St. Bo.  I reckon you know notbhing about him.  Dig this, little boy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeZHB3ozglQ, then correct me.

.#

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Oblivions

A very few non-close friends, some acquaintances, and one particularly agressive person (that I was and remain wildly in love with and has broken my heart forever) can't seem to appreciate the beauty of this song...they only know the many covers..... that totally miss the point.  The more pity them, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GCNMZa2v9A

...and for those that that think Punk rock is limited, or dead......ask me for 25 more examples, I'll give you 50.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from taon. Show taon's posts

A 24-movement exercise library and a trx suspension training Door Anchor.
    You can take your trx australia FORCE training anywhere. This Kit achieves and maintains top levels of physical preparedness for tactical athletes so they are always mission-ready.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to taon's comment:

A 24-movement exercise library and a trx suspension training Door Anchor.
    You can take your trx australia FORCE training anywhere. This Kit achieves and maintains top levels of physical preparedness for tactical athletes so they are always mission-ready.

Or just be normal.