National HERB Week

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

National HERB Week

Just had to let you know that National HERB Week is the first week of May.   Smile

"A(n) herb is a plant that is valued for qualities such as medicinal properties, flavor, scent, or the like.

The green, leafy part of the plant is often used, but herbal medicine makes use of the roots, flowers, seeds, root bark, inner bark (cambium), berries and sometimes the pericarp or other portions."

As per the International Herb Association, the 2013 HERB of the YEAR is the Elderberry.  

Music-wise:

Elton John released a song in 1973 called Elderberry Wine. (Lyrics: Bernie Taupin; music Elton John)

The Rolling Stones released a song in 1974 called "Till the Next Goodbye" on the "It's Only Rock 'n Roll" album which features the line, "You give me a cure-all from New Orleans/Now that's a recipe I sure do need./Some cider vinegar and some elderberry wine/could cure all your ills but it can't kill mine."

Happy HERB Week, Everyone.  Wink

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: National HERB Week

From the Killer himself ,Jerry Lee Lewis - Drinking wine (Spo-Dee-O-Dee):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTHfFoqBQAA

Weeeeeeellll

Wine Wine Wine Elderberry

Wine Wine Wine Oh Sherry

Wine Wine Wine Blackberry

Wine Wine Wine Half and Half

Wine Wine Wine Oh Boy

Pass that bottle to me

A special shout out to Herb Albert and Herb-ie Hancock

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Wine is not an "HERB", mojo.

In my search for eternal youth, I have been doing some research in this area. And while wine and grape juice are loaded with health benefits, they don't fall into the "HERB" category.

I currently keep Cinnamon, Cayenne pepper , garlic in my diet and I am looking into the benefits of ginseng.

Our cats like tuna and catnip....but they haven't done any reading on the subject, they just like the taste....but these are healthy choices, heck, I like tuna too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well, in honor of Herb Week, tonight I will listen to some Jimi Hendrix and some Robin Trower and have some herbal...tea. Wink

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Wine is not an "HERB", mojo.

In my search for eternal youth, I have been doing some research in this area. And while wine and grape juice are loaded with health benefits, they don't fall into the "HERB" category.

I currently keep Cinnamon, Cayenne pepper , garlic in my diet and I am looking into the benefits of ginseng.

Our cats like tuna and catnip....but they haven't done any reading on the subject, they just like the taste....but these are healthy choices, heck, I like tuna too.

You didn't read my OP, Zilla, and that is clear by your post.  If you'd read it, you would have seen that it's the year of the Elderberry, according to the International Herb Association.  

Mr Mojo is SPOT ON.     Your bad, not his.   You'll get a pass this time, but next time we may not let you off so easy.   Smile

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Well, in honor of Herb Week, tonight I will listen to some Jimi Hendrix and some Robin Trower and have some herbal...tea. Wink

Yes, that's what HERB week is all about.   Celebrate.  Have a cookie with your "tea" -- go wild, man!

Catnip is a great herb, but must be used sparingly.  In fact, I have some new herb that goes wtih a new scratchin' mechanism, and that will mean my kitties can celebrate HERB Week in style, too.   Cannot wait to surprise them.   Smile

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

Who is Herb? hehe

Your choice, man.    Any HERB will do.   Laughing

I'm going to herb central tomorrow to pick up some herbs, that was my plan even before I knew it was HERB week.   I must be a little psychic.  Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

According to the Chinese zodiac, it is the year of the SNAKE , yoga.

As I am the chief reptile here, I can never be wrong in the year of the snake.

Who ever heard of "the year of the elderberry?"...it's a little nuts to have a year dedicated to an herb. Kind of like "Secretarys Day" , what is damn important about a "secretary" that they should have a day?....Plumbers and waitresses don't have a day, or did I miss something?

But , let's keep this discussion about music ( at least loosely), Simon and Garfunkel sang about Parsley, Sage , Rosemary and Thyme.....when I first heard this song , I was just a kid and thought "Rosemary" was a woman, and the last word was "time." I thought surely that Paul Simon was surely using another type of "herb."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Happy Birthday HERB....

Herb Alpert-2

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

I worked with a guy like this once......................................................once!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

I worked with a guy like this once......................................................once!

Didn't we all! I'd rather have worked with Bailey.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Didn't we all! I'd rather have worked with Bailey.

Laughing YES!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Yes, that's what HERB week is all about.   Celebrate.  Have a cookie with your "tea" -- go wild, man!

Catnip is a great herb, but must be used sparingly.  In fact, I have some new herb that goes wtih a new scratchin' mechanism, and that will mean my kitties can celebrate HERB Week in style, too.   Cannot wait to surprise them.   Smile

Nothing better than catnip in a spray cam......my sister never could figure out why the cat destroyed some of her clothes...ha ha

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Okay, who is this Herb?   Must be from a TV show that I never watched.   WOOOSH!  (right over my head).    

I have to get up early tomorrow morning for my excursion to herb central.  Peace.  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Okay, who is this Herb?   Must be from a TV show that I never watched.   WOOOSH!  (right over my head).    

I have to get up early tomorrow morning for my excursion to herb central.  Peace.  :)

That was Herb from the show WKRP in Cincinnatti.And yes,Bailey was much hotter than Jennifer.

I've been celebrating Herb Week since 4/20 Wink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Herb-ie Hancock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh7PNY3v6po

Also there was Herb Brooks who was the Coach of the American hockey team that won the Olympic Gold Medal from the Russians during the "Miracle on Ice".

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

That was Herb from the show WKRP in Cincinnatti.And yes,Bailey was much hotter than Jennifer.

Thanks.   I never watched "WKRP in Cincinnati" but it must have been a good comedy.

4/20 (Earth Day?) was eclipsed by the Marathon bombing this year, but I'm glad that there was a low-key 'celebration' for some.

As promised, I gave my kitties a new scratch post; to help them 'chisten' it, I accompanied the gift with their usual "blend" of herb.   FUN was had by all.   Wink

As I mentioned, I give catnip very sparingly, as there can be drawbacks from it.   In addition to health reasons, my kitties act like they are hallucinating half of their waking hours anyhow, and hardly need catnip in the first place.  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Thanks.   I never watched "WKRP in Cincinnati" but it must have been a good comedy.

4/20 (Earth Day?) was eclipsed by the Marathon bombing this year, but I'm glad that there was a low-key 'celebration' for some.

As promised, I gave my kitties a new scratch post; to help them 'chisten' it, I accompanied the gift with their usual "blend" of herb.   FUN was had by all.   Wink

As I mentioned, I give catnip very sparingly, as there can be drawbacks from it.   In addition to health reasons, my kitties act like they are hallucinating half of their waking hours anyhow, and hardly need catnip in the first place.  :)

Yoga I hope you don't need an intervention like this woman!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6pgppk-DBU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMyj-J6XWNQ

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Yoga I hope you don't need an intervention like this woman!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6pgppk-DBU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMyj-J6XWNQ

Has anyone ever told you that you watch too much TV, Roger?   How do you know about all these clips from the various TV shows?!  Laughing

No worries, Roger.  As much as I love my pets (and always have, with all of our family pets since I was a kid), I don't self-identify as a cat lady.  

I, do, however, self-identify as a yogi.   Wink

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Ah, Kitty Cocaine. They go nuts and rub themselves all over it, then get a little mean when it wears off....     

I've noticed that Valerian Root - also not an 'herb' - is like crack for cats, in comparison. (When a human ingests it, it works like a sleeping pill). I once left a bottle out and later found my cat wrestling with it on the floor.

I opened the bottle and let her sniff it - immediately purring, rolling around on the carpet, stretching her arms out, etc. She definitely enjoyed it. After a minute, she was begging for more and/or trying to get the cabinet open once I put it away.

There also seemed to be more hallucinatory behavior from the valerian than catnip, and more of a kitty-comedown.

Have to keep that stuff locked up now.

However, in past years, she has been known to steal and eat some of a certain other 'herb' if she spied a chance, with no ill effects. Just more purring and laziness than usual....   

I couldn't agree more re: the care that must be taken with 'herbs' and cats.   That's interesting re: the natural sedative.  I had read about herbs and pets a long time ago (we had pets for years when I was a kid), and have always lived by that conservative rule.  I store catnip in the freezer, that way there's no worry they can get to it.

They are very wily, but opening the freezer is above their paygrade.  :)

BTW, the American Craft Beer Fest is also in May, at the end of the month.   May is quite the month to escape reality; turns out, May is a very cool month.