New music purchases/planned music purchases

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

New music purchases/planned music purchases

Every year for Christmas I buy myself some new music.  It's my way of rewarding myself for making it through Christmas.  And believe it or not, I leave it all in the packaging until Christmas day.

I don't buy very much music throughout the year any more, but I put together a list of stuff that I might buy at Christmas.  This year the list got very long for some reason.  Too long and too expensive to buy at once.  So some of it got shoved back into next year.

This year's list got very diverse, and some might say, also got a little weird.  I went way back in the archives for a few albums I missed.

So here is what I ended up actually ordering for Christmas.  Like I said it's a pretty strange assortment.

Merry Axemas - A Guitar Christmas

Essential Mozart: 32 of His Greatest Masterpieces

Husker Du - Zen Arcade

Joe Bonamassa - Driving Toward the Daylight

Billy Cobham - Spectrum

Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives of Henry VIII

Kraftwerk - Computer World

Next I'll list the stuff I plan to buy at some point in the future.

Anyone else who wants to please do the same. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

Re: New music purchases/planned music purchases

I had a birthday a few weeks ago and I got a Newbury comics gift card and an Amazon gift card. I'll probably get the same for gifts for Christmas. A few of the items I bought

Portrait of a Legend: 1951-1964 - Sam Cooke

Songs for the Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age

Dig Me Out - Sleater Kinney

Substance - New Order

I'm Stranded - The Saints

Citrus - Asobi Seksu

Big Shots - Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf

Blood Visions - Jay Reatard

Music Has the Right to Children - Boards of Canada

Madvillainy - Madvillain

good kid, m.A.A.d. City - Kendrick Lamar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Thanks to recommendations by the forum.

Blind Faith

Eric Clapton - First solo album

Ann Peebles - Albums or maybe a collection

Sam Cooke - Portrait of a Legend

I already have one Same Cooke collection but was not aware of this one. Sam Cooke is one of the all-time great founders of soul music.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks to recommendations by the forum.

Blind Faith

Eric Clapton - First solo album

Ann Peebles - Albums or maybe a collection

Sam Cooke - Portrait of a Legend

I already have one Same Cooke collection but was not aware of this one. Sam Cooke is one of the all-time great founders of soul music.

[/QUOTE]

My favorite Sam Cooke is Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963. If you don't have that one I'd highly recommend it. The CD version is called One Night Stand: Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963.

On the intro track the guy that introduces him calls him "Mr. Soul!"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

On my wishlist this year:

The Band - Live @ The Academy of Music

Neil Young - Live @ The Cellar Door

Phish - Chicago '94

Swans - Soundtracks For The Blind

Low - The Invisible Way

Spacemen 3 - Playing With Fire

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Recently? 

Bonamassa - I got every studio album I didn't already have.

Keb 'Mo - my wife got a few albums by him. He's a modern blues guy. I'd say in more of the older, slower style.

Junior Kimbrough - Another modern blues guy. Sister got it for me; I haven't listened yet but she says it sounds like something from way back in the 20s.

Black Country Communion - got the second and third albums.

Beth Hart - I got a couple albums she did with Bonamassa because I liked her performacne on his "live from beacon theater" concert (2012). She's good, but I feel like she does too much imitation of style. She'll cover an Etta James song, but she'll try to do it the way James did...not in her own vein. She can still be quite good. Mixed feelings overall.

[/QUOTE]

Nice coverage on the Bonamassa stuff!  You can't go wrong with Joe B.  His website has some really cool stuff on it as well. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I keep a notebook.  :)   I note music that I see online in various ways; releases I want to pursue from "new release" updates I see from Newbury Comic; and many artists and albums that we discuss and name on the forum.   Therefore, I have an ongoing list of albums to pursue.   Never a shortage. 

Even with the notebook, however, I will pick up a CD on a whim, or very spontaneously, esp. if it's a pre-owned CD. 

Here are a few that would be nice to add soon:

Amorica (high priority)

LIVE - Alison Krauss / Union Station (meant to buy this one, but it slipped under the radar)

Cease to Begin - Band of Horses

An album by Morcheeba (this is my genre for sure, trip hop), just never got hold of an album; they are a mid-90's group, one of my favorite decades); they just released a new album in October 2013, in fact.  

For an artist I've never pursued: Ryan Bingham (per the forum).  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I keep a notebook.  :)   I note music that I see online in various ways; releases I want to pursue from "new release" updates I see from Newbury Comic; and many artists and albums that we discuss and name on the forum.   Therefore, I have an ongoing list of albums to pursue.   Never a shortage. 

Even with the notebook, however, I will pick up a CD on a whim, or very spontaneously, esp. if it's a pre-owned CD. 

Amorica (high priority)

LIVE - Alison Krauss / Union Station (meant to buy this one, but it slipped under the radar)

An album by Morcheeba (this is my genre for sure, trip hop), just never got hold of an album; they are a mid-90's group, one of my favorite decades); they just released a new album in October 2013, in fact.  

[/QUOTE]

I got that Alison Krauss album last Christmas but sheepishly have to admit I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. Maybe I'll make some time this Christmas to finally listen to it and give you a review.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm on a site where you can catalog all the music you own and/or heard and they have a wishlist function so if you see something that looks interesting you can bookmark it and come back to it later. When I get a Newbury comics gift card I will then write down things  from my wishlist or stuff I've heard so I know what to look for when I go there.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I got that Alison Krauss album last Christmas but sheepishly have to admit I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. Maybe I'll make some time this Christmas to finally listen to it and give you a review.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I remember that we discussed it, and you followed up apparently, I did not, which is why I want to move it from the back burner to the front.   I know I want it, but if you have the inclination to get back and let me know how you like it, that would work out to be very nice timing.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Inresponse to Rich1273's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm on a site where you can catalog all the music you own and/or heard and they have a wishlist function so if you see something that looks interesting you can bookmark it and come back to it later. When I get a Newbury comics gift card I will then write down things  from my wishlist or stuff I've heard so I know what to look for when I go there.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like an excellent idea.  There are similar sites for books, too, as you probably know.   I could look into it, but I am a bit attached to my notebook because I have notes in it that go back quite a ways that I would not transfer online.  Still, it's always good to think about a change, just in case.   I bookmark loads of music, too, in a folder in my browser.   Glad you're more organized than I am.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Amorica (high priority)

[/QUOTE]

lmao

Since I constantly bring these up as references, my name is on the line now. If you are talking vinyl, Amorica (which I want becaue the original is like $300 used or some crap) has been delayed until February.

They are also releasing the other 90s albums like their first Shake Your Moneymaker, the legendary Southern Harmony and Musical Companion, and 3 Snakes and One Charm (1996) (many fell off with this one, but it;s still good, IMO).

Amorica is a quirky album and all over the map, but has some gems on it. So, don't expect a string of singles.   The cover art is where it gets a lot of its legendary music fan/album collector status. That and the fact bands/artists were not releasing vinyl back in the 1990s. It pretty much stopped by the mid 1990s.

One caveat for the reissues, and I don't get this, is they are releasing Amorica and 3 Snakes as double albums.  I hate vinyl as double albums with like 3 or 4 tracks on each side.   It's being done by some company out of the UK, so not sure on quality yet. Maybe the spacing out as a double album when it doesn't need to be has something to do with improving the quality from the transfer?  

Stay away from the 180G reissue in 2010 of Southern Harmony. Apparently, the transfer of the original analog recording came out poor. I own a used original pressing with only some minor flaws. It will be interesting to compare in February to see if the re-issue sounds as good with no flaws.

As for Bingham, just run out and get his first, Mescalito, from 2007.  You will not be disappointed.  180G pressing. One of the best sounding and recorded/produced albums I've ever heard. ANd, one of the best debut albums I've ever heard up there with anyone's.

[/QUOTE]

Too funny.  Your taste is very consistent, and that's why I sort of know what your recommendations will veer into.   You're not wishy washy, that's for sure.  hahah.  You know what you like, so if I pay attention to your likes / dislikes, I usually have an idea of what to expect.   You don't stray far from your "roots", and if you do, it's very rare.  

I have to run right now, so I only have time to say that I need "Descending" and have heard lots of the tracks on Amorica.  I want the album.    I did a thread on the BC's a while back, in fact, because I think they're great, yet, I never owned any of their music.   Shake Your ... is an album I should also probably get as well.

But are you saying that the newly mastered albums should be avoided, like the Amorica?  I might not have let that bother me, but ... I do not collect vinyl.  

I'll be back.  The dentist needs me.   :). 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

I'll listen to anything once, but I don't like technical/orchestrated kinds of music. Anything to thought out is a turn off to me. I like organic music.  It's why I don't like prog-rock much at all or a band like KISS. Ugh. Brutal.

Rush is a band I would consider too rehearsed, but at least they can play their instruments really well.

The only stuff I don't like is rap/hip hip, bad new age pop music on the radio and that pop country crap out of Nashville. I also don't like heavy metal. AC/DC is about as hard as I go.

Not a huge jazz fan, but I'll put some on with some classical once in a blue moon.  But, yeah, I know what I like. If it sounds genuine and real to my ears, then I am an easy sell.

As for the Crowes, stay away from anything post 1997.  They kinda sold out a bit in 1998 when Sony bought up American records and they got Aerosmithed. It was awkward. Plus, some band member losses ruined the chemistry they had. 

One recommendation if you get into Amorica, is The Lost Crowes, which is a 2 CD set released in 2006 which captures early versions of songs on Amorica and some of the stuff they left off, which is more eclectic material.  It was supposed to be a double album, but they changed producers, the brothers got into more arguments and then they scrapped some songs and made it one album.  It's still a unique little classic, but what could have been. They have some tunes that didn't even got on the album that are amazing.  You can find them on You Tube if interested.  

A song like "Exit" is the hardest song they've ever written, but a gem. Bewildered is another.   They've played each live in recent years.  "Title Song" is another.  All 3 are darker songs, but if you have some patience, are pretty rewarding.

I caught them doing "Title Song" back in 2010 out of the woodwork in the second set.  

Basically, from 1992-1997 they were in a zone of songwriting that most arists and bands would be jealous of.

The second half of Lost Crowes is pretty much a completed album which was recorded in Nashville and LA in the spring of '97 and engineered by Mellencamp's guitar player, Mike Wancic.

That one has, IMO, very easy songs to get into, many of them 3-4 minute songs that would have had singles on it and would have fit in on the radio back then.  So, well worth checking out. Some mandolin and fiddle on it. It's kind of like a mixed bag of what they would normally sounds like but with some country/rock tweaks to some songs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Crowes

This sounds like I wrote it, but this guy nails it:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-lost-crowes-mw0000574976

[/QUOTE]

I'm a big Crowes fan too.  And I might agree if I didn't think that the highs of their first 3 albums were awfully difficult to top...particularly in the free-for-all known as the late-90s.

I have all of the studio albums and 'official' live releases and still feel that all are definitely of a piece.  They've been pretty consistent over the years, IMO, for a band that still emphasizes their roots and doesn't go in for all kinds of studio wizardry or the latest trends.

Above all, they know what they can do and they pretty much stick to it.  For me, it's made them age far less quickly than many other bands of that era.  And their live show still rocks with the best of them.

Agreed though that The Lost Crowes is a must for any fan...a real insight into a band at its creative peak.  Not only were they consistent, but they were remarkably productive for a band of purported burnouts.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

As for the Crowes, stay away from anything post 1997.  They kinda sold out a bit in 1998 when Sony bought up American records and they got Aerosmithed. It was awkward. Plus, some band member losses ruined the chemistry they had. 

One recommendation if you get into Amorica, is The Lost Crowes, which is a 2 CD set released in 2006 which captures early versions of songs on Amorica and some of the stuff they left off, which is more eclectic material.  It was supposed to be a double album, but they changed producers, the brothers got into more arguments and then they scrapped some songs and made it one album.  It's still a unique little classic, but what could have been. They have some tunes that didn't even got on the album that are amazing.  You can find them on You Tube if interested.  

A song like "Exit" is the hardest song they've ever written, but a gem. Bewildered is another.   They've played each live in recent years.  "Title Song" is another.  All 3 are darker songs, but if you have some patience, are pretty rewarding.

I caught them doing "Title Song" back in 2010 out of the woodwork in the second set.  

Basically, from 1992-1997 they were in a zone of songwriting that most arists and bands would be jealous of.

The second half of Lost Crowes is pretty much a completed album which was recorded in Nashville and LA in the spring of '97 and engineered by Mellencamp's guitar player, Mike Wancic.

That one has, IMO, very easy songs to get into, many of them 3-4 minute songs that would have had singles on it and would have fit in on the radio back then.  So, well worth checking out. Some mandolin and fiddle on it. It's kind of like a mixed bag of what they would normally sounds like but with some country/rock tweaks to some songs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Crowes

This sounds like I wrote it, but this guy nails it:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-lost-crowes-mw0000574976

[/QUOTE]
    The Lost Crowes doesn't exactly throw a monkey wrench in my plans, but I have to digest the idea of getting a double disc set, if I go that route, too.    The album link was nice, so I checked out a few songs, but I'll go back later when I have more time.  

I don't buy whole albums in MP3 format, so that's not an issue.  I just have to check out getting hold of Amorica, per what you said.  

I'll see what transpires, b/c now I want this damn album more than I did when I wrote into this thread.  :)

BTW, do you like / familiar with The Little Willies?   You probably know ... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHK_HttgkmU

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Here is some of the stuff I plan to buy at some point:

DVD's

Led Zep - Celebration Day - O2 concert

Eric Clapton/Steve Winwood concert

Freddy Mercury tribute concert - new version

CD's

More Bonamassa & Black Country Communion albums

Joe Satriani - Unstoppable Momentum (latest album)

(Maybe) Soundgarden - new album, whatever it's called

Tenology - the 10CC deluxe box set - this would be a luxury purchase...or maybe I'll ask my wife to buy it for me next Christmas

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I did listen to the Merry Axemas CD...great stuff.  Glad I finally bought this.  Christmas songs done by the following guitarists:

Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Eric Johnson

Jeff Beck

Brian Setzer

Jo Satriani

Steve Morse

Steve Vai

Joe Perry

Alex Lifeson

Richie Sambora

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah, Matty, I just was shocked when they debuted the 1997 material on that Furthur Tour that summer, getting some bootlegs later on and then hearing they were going back into the studio. I thought it was great, and even though more accessible to most than what is on Amorica or 3 Snakes and One Charm, that would have been two albums of material within one year's time which is almost unheard of these days unless you're RYan Adams.

And, of course, Colt quit on bass for his health (got scared with this drug addiction and drinking) and they fired Ford, who in my opinion completely changed the dynamic of the band's sound when he joined in 1992.

Listen to Shaker Your Moneymaker and then Southern Harmony. No comparison in terms of sonic power. I put the latter in the grand pantheon of desert isle albums, and it's not only top 5 of the 90s, but maybe all time for me.

Band chemistry is huge and By Your Side was awkward and over-produced like a 90s Aerosmith album and it made my cringe. Still does. Lions was worse in 2001, then the hiatus.

Their later stuff was pretty weak, too.  The double album thing they did was ok but at least they're not being told what to do by a record label anymore, because they're the last band on planet earth that will come off sounding good being forced to do that.

Across the board for me, their the best rock band of the 1990s. Their box set one day will be killer because people will be shocked at the material they left on the floor at their peak.

Since they are re-releasing or releasing the 90s peak era stuff on vinyl in February I am assuming they like the company responsibe for the transfers. 

Quick side story on the Lost Crowes package: They didn't want to do it, but fans kept asking them about the stuff, so they had to make up with Rick Rubin (he owned the masters as American's CEO).     They didn't like old Rick at the beginning. lmao

[/QUOTE]

I'll agree that Lions is probably their weakest LP...

And yet, in spite of the relative weakness of those later albums, each one still has at least a handful of outstanding songs that stand on their own and especially in concert.

Songs like Welcome To The Goodtimes, Miracle To Me, Soul Singing, Goodbye Daughters..., Whoa Mule, et al. proved that they may have been down, but they were never really out.

For that matter, with the exceptions of TSH&MC and Amorica, they've never really been an 'album band'.  In that, they even further resemble one of their influences, The Faces.

The "Before The Frost..." double disc confirmed what I felt all along - they're a great, well-seasoned band with lots left in the tank and which many rock fans have forgotten to their own discredit.