New music purchases/planned music purchases

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: New music purchases/planned music purchases

Per Mazzy Star.  Initially, I was upset when I read about the band managers refusal to allow the use of "Fade into You," in a video for families dealing with childhood cancer. I posted that here. From all accounts the bands management acted very poorly and was quite dissmissive over the request. It should have ended there. However, it seems that this person, who claims to be a huge Mazzy Star fan, is out to do real damage to the band's reputation. Posting in one's own blog dissapointment with the decision is one thing, it is quite another to post negative and inflammatory comments such as the band is too big to support children's cancer, all over the internet. If this person is in possession of a letter from band members saying the request was denied due to licensing issues or that the band just hates kids with cancer, then fine. But to cast aspersions on individuals without knowing what their actual beliefs are, or if they even saw the request is troubling. I'm sorry, but I think this person's behavior has become equally as bad as the bands management who turned them down.   Rich and Yoga, sapologies for butting into your discussion, I mean no disrespect.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to polar123's comment:

In response to Rich1273's comment:

I had a birthday a few weeks ago and I got a Newbury comics gift card and an Amazon gift card. I'll probably get the same for gifts for Christmas. A few of the items I bought

Portrait of a Legend: 1951-1964 - Sam Cooke

Songs for the Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age

Dig Me Out - Sleater Kinney

Substance - New Order

I'm Stranded - The Saints

Citrus - Asobi Seksu

Big Shots - Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf

Blood Visions - Jay Reatard

Music Has the Right to Children - Boards of Canada

Madvillainy - Madvillain

good kid, m.A.A.d. City - Kendrick Lamar

Interesting list. You are definitely the first person i've seen mention the underrated Saints on this forum.

Was chatting about music tonight to friends - per usual.  He, "P", started off playing a band named "The Visitors".  Never heard of them before, from 30 years ago or so, loved it.  Aussie, brilliant IMO....3 of them were from Radio Birdman, one of my all time favourite bands.  Many more Aussie rock/punk/protopunk records were played.

I have no interest whatsoever in one's age, race, height, sexuality, the continental landmass one was born on, if one believes in fictious characters, or even if one doesn't understand how arrogant, shameless and pathetic Paul Hewitt is, etc....

But I love Japanese and Aussie rock'n'roll.....for different, but maybe similar, reasons. Both countries are far away (geographically) from the epicentre of rock'n'roll.....it's very hard for bands to tour there for logistical reasons, time zone issues, etc. so there is an isolation issue.  That's good!  IMO, Japanese bands have a joie de vivre that most Western bands lost when they started thinking they were cool.  It is so great for me to see bands that (I believe) love what they do, can laugh at themselves, and celebrate, IMO, what "rock" music should be.

Aussie bands?  To me, I think protopunk is my favourite genre....and Detroit was the effink epicentre.....Stooges, MC5, Death, etc.  But Oz ain't far behind.  Birdman, of course, Manikins, Saints, New Race, Visitors (from last night!).

Apols for being weird, boring and unwelcome (;-)).

If you give a sh1t, from Japan, I'd suggest Teengenerate (I call them the "Japanese Ramones"), Thee Michelle Gun Elephant, and The Routes.  I also have a soft spot for Shonen Knife, who couldn't?  ;-)

Oz?  Add the Stems and for me, since last night, the Visitors, to the above.

:-)

Sonics, your not unwelcome as far as I'm concerned. I agree on the Aussie bands. One half of my family lives in Glebe, a suburb of Sydney and we have this discussion all the time. I was just surprised it took the forum this long to mention the Saints. It amazes me that for such a great Punk band, their biggest, and most well known song, ghost ships," is a ballad. Many really good Aussie bands like Radio Birdman, the Living End, and the Survivors are often overlooked. As far as Detroit being the epicenter of protopunk, I will have to take your word for it. I am familar with many of the bands you listed, Stooges, MC5, but not all. I will check them out. For those not familar with the the Saints and Chris Bailey http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8IfMJkcLY8

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I had a birthday a few weeks ago and I got a Newbury comics gift card and an Amazon gift card. I'll probably get the same for gifts for Christmas. A few of the items I bought

Portrait of a Legend: 1951-1964 - Sam Cooke

Songs for the Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age

Dig Me Out - Sleater Kinney

Substance - New Order

I'm Stranded - The Saints

Citrus - Asobi Seksu

Big Shots - Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf

Blood Visions - Jay Reatard

Music Has the Right to Children - Boards of Canada

Madvillainy - Madvillain

good kid, m.A.A.d. City - Kendrick Lamar

Interesting list. You are definitely the first person i've seen mention the underrated Saints on this forum.

Was chatting about music tonight to friends - per usual.  He, "P", started off playing a band named "The Visitors".  Never heard of them before, from 30 years ago or so, loved it.  Aussie, brilliant IMO....3 of them were from Radio Birdman, one of my all time favourite bands.  Many more Aussie rock/punk/protopunk records were played.

I have no interest whatsoever in one's age, race, height, sexuality, the continental landmass one was born on, if one believes in fictious characters, or even if one doesn't understand how arrogant, shameless and pathetic Paul Hewitt is, etc....

But I love Japanese and Aussie rock'n'roll.....for different, but maybe similar, reasons. Both countries are far away (geographically) from the epicentre of rock'n'roll.....it's very hard for bands to tour there for logistical reasons, time zone issues, etc. so there is an isolation issue.  That's good!  IMO, Japanese bands have a joie de vivre that most Western bands lost when they started thinking they were cool.  It is so great for me to see bands that (I believe) love what they do, can laugh at themselves, and celebrate, IMO, what "rock" music should be.

Aussie bands?  To me, I think protopunk is my favourite genre....and Detroit was the effink epicentre.....Stooges, MC5, Death, etc.  But Oz ain't far behind.  Birdman, of course, Manikins, Saints, New Race, Visitors (from last night!).

Apols for being weird, boring and unwelcome (;-)).

If you give a sh1t, from Japan, I'd suggest Teengenerate (I call them the "Japanese Ramones"), Thee Michelle Gun Elephant, and The Routes.  I also have a soft spot for Shonen Knife, who couldn't?  ;-)

Oz?  Add the Stems and for me, since last night, the Visitors, to the above.

:-)

Sonics, your not weird, boring or un-welcome as far as I'm concerned. I agree on the Aussie bands. One half of my family lives in Glebe, a suburb of Sydney and we have this discussion all the time. I was just surprised it took the forum this long to mention the Saints. It amazes me that for such a great Punk band, their biggest, and most well known song, ghost ships," is a ballad.

[/QUOTE]

Cheers Polar....I was being a bit of a self-deprecating wise @rse but I appreciate your comments.

I really think a big part of most Japanese and Aussie bands' failure to make an impact in "the West" is logistics.  I love the Saints....only "Stranded" is even slightly known outside of Oz.  Is the Heartbreakers a good analogy?  I think so anyway.  Radio Birdman?  I would rate them slightly under the Stooges and the MC5.....that's high praise, of course! But their fame is a fraction of the other two,f elite, IMO, Protopunk bands.

There have been so many great Oz bands....but they are far away so unless one makes even a tiny effort they are just "distant nothings".*  60s?  The Easybeats, the Atlantics, the Loved Ones were great.  70s?  Birdman of course, the Angels, Saints.  80s?  The Lime Spiders are probably my second favourite Oz band after Birdman.....ad obtusus.

I'm not trying to be grand, or cool, or knowledgeable by talking up these Aussie bands...I always knew the Easybeats, the Saints, Lime Spiders...but I've become mates with a lot of Aussies over the years and I've learned from them....hey, I do that here too!  I haven't intentionally listened to commercial radio since I left Boston in 1989 - WFNX was my station of choice - but generally I find commercial radio paralytically boring....mainly due to LCD.

But I don't live in a vacuum, the new music I hear is either introduced to me by mates at their place e.g. Death (70s)....Giuda (contemporary)......or at gigs.....Daddy Long Legs (uptempo Blues band from Brooklyn) and The Jackets (conventional Garage band from Switzerland, the sort of sound I love...but the singer/writer/git player Jackie is mesmerising....she is my favourite front person today by a wide margin.

Bah, droning on again, sorry.  Who wants to talk about Zep?  Sir Mick Jagger and co? Any thoughts on The Eagles or, better, the rich pageantry of the post-Eagles careers of Don Felder, Glen Frey, and the other ones not forgetting, of course, the house band in Hell if there really was such a place:  Mr. Don Henley.  I'm gonna let Mojo Nixon take over.  ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm-o7_VVAoU

This is the sound of my brain.

Then I said, this is the sound of my brain on Don Henley!

Then I said, 1 2 3 4...

He's a tortured artist
    Used to be in the Eagles
    Now he whines
    Like a wounded beagle
    Poet of despair!
    Pumped up with hot air!
    He's serious, pretentious
    And I just don't care
    Don Henley must die!
    Don't let him get back together
    With Glenn Frey!
    Don Henley must die!

Turn on the TV
    And what did I see?
    This bloated hairy thing
    Winning a Grammy
    Best Rock Vocalist?
    Compared to what?
    But your pseudo-serious
    Crafty Satanic blot
    Don Henley must die!
    Put a sharp stick in his eye!
    Don Henley must die!
    Yea yea yea

Quit playin' that crap
    You're out of the band

I'm only kidding
    Can't you tell?
    I love his sensitive music
    Idiot poetry, swell
    You and your kind
    Are killing rock and roll
    It's not because you are O L D
    It's cause you ain't got no soul!
    Don't be afraid of fun
    Loosen up your ponytail!
    Be wild, young, free and dumb
    Get your head out of your tail
    Don Henley must die!
    Don't let him get back together
    With Glenn Frey!

Don Henley must die!
    Put him in the electric chair
    Watch him fry!
    Don Henley must die
    Don Henley must die
    No Eagles reunion
    The same goes for you too, Sting!

* - I love Asimov

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

Per Mazzy Star.  Initially, I was upset when I read about the band managers refusal to allow the use of "Fade into You," in a video for families dealing with childhood cancer. I posted that here. From all accounts the bands management acted very poorly and was quite dissmissive over the request. It should have ended there. However, it seems that this person, who claims to be a huge Mazzy Star fan, is out to do real damage to the band's reputation. Posting in one's own blog dissapointment with the decision is one thing, it is quite another to post negative and inflammatory comments such as the band is too big to support children's cancer, all over the internet. If this person is in possession of a letter from band members saying the request was denied due to licensing issues or that the band just hates kids with cancer, then fine. But to cast aspersions on individuals without knowing what their actual beliefs are, or if they even saw the request is troubling. I'm sorry, but I think this person's behavior has become equally as bad as the bands management who turned them down.   Rich and Yoga, sapologies for butting into your discussion, I mean no disrespect.

[/QUOTE]
    I said nothing specific in my posts in this thread, Polar.  I also told Rich the album is one he will probably like.   I think your inference isn't directed at me, so I'm okay, but I haven't made it a point to bring up that online incident until now.   It's not that important to me to buy the new Mazzy album overall, despite the fact that the poster seemed more frustrated about the idea that her *efforts* were blocked because she couldn't substantiate the legitimacy of her request to the band's management, if indeed, she ever tried in a business-like manner in the first place.  It didn't seem so, because someone with good business practices would use more restraint.   :).  Or some restraint, anyhow.  :).  

Either way, the truth is that the band's management has the right to release / give permission for the use of a song ... that's a business decision, even if the requestor does not like the outcome; you're right that grinding an axe about it in public is out of line, and not professional behavior.   

All I know is that I said I would follow up in a certain fashion, and I am bound to my word, quietly, strange as that may sound.  If I was suckered into this, so be it, I am aware.   The person who is planting the seeds may be wrong, but I didn't promise the person a lifetime commitment.  :D . Maybe I'll consider buying the album at a later date, but for now, I'm good.    You're not butting in, BTW.  It's been quite a while since you've been here, so I assumed you weren't reading the forum any longer, TBH; that's a good example of being glad I was wrong.    P.S.  I'd much rather get hold of the Morcheeba album anyway.  :). 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A band you might like-- The Jayhawks.   I used to hear their songs on the college station here, WERS, but for some reason, it never computed with me that they had an entire catalog of transplendant music.   They were mentioned in a few threads on the forum, and voila, I am now a convert. :)   If Matty sees this, he will gladly fill you in.   Their sound is classic.  Maybe you're already familiar, but if not: 

Here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUMyKcNL-Vs

and one of their well-known hits "Save it for a Rainy Day"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF6rlU-WdZs

[/QUOTE]

I have two Jayhawks CDs.  Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow the Green Grass. Good band I think from Minny.    Nice harmonies.

Yeah, Gary Louris is friendly with Chris and Marc from the Crowes.  Not sure if they still keep up with one another, but that's how I first got into them back in the mid 90s.

[/QUOTE]

It worries me that I understand your taste in music.    hahha.  Just kidding.   Glad you have the Jayhawks in your collection.   Not too surprisoing.   They have that unpolished (they're not slick) sound.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

I've listened to a few Aussie and Japanese bands, I've liked most of what I've heard so far.

for Japanese groups and albums

Boris - At last Feedbacker, Flood

Flower Travelin' Band - Satori

Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun, Super Ae

Mainliner - Mellow

Most of the Japanese stuff I've heard is Heavy Psych, Metal, Psychedelic Rock kind of stuff. If you're into that you'll like those artists.

For Aussie groups and albums I like

The Drones - I See Seaweed, Wait Long by the River...

Tame Impala - Lonerism

The Whitlams - Etneral Nightcap

Buffalo - Volcanic Rock

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

There have been so many great Oz bands....but they are far away so unless one makes even a tiny effort they are just "distant nothings".*  60s?  The Easybeats, the Atlantics, the Loved Ones were great.  70s?  Birdman of course, the Angels, Saints.  80s?  The Lime Spiders are probably my second favourite Oz band after Birdman.....ad obtusus.

[/QUOTE]

I absolutely LOVE the Easybeats. One of my all-time favorite bands. They capture the fun and energy that I love about rock n' roll music.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]I have 'Perfectly Good Guitar' too and never really listened to it much. The title song is a good one, though. If you like 'Bring the Family', I also recommend 'Slow Turning', which is in a similar vein. I think those are Hiatt's two best albums.[/QUOTE]

I listened to 'Bring the Family' on the ride home last night.  Out of the 4 Hiatt albums I now have it's definitely the best.  I can see why you like it,  lots of slinky blues stuff there.  Ry Cooder is a killer sideman.  I may have to listen again tonight. 

Chris Thile made it into the player near the tail end of my ride. Not sure it's going to get much airplay. I should've known, a little classical goes a long way for me. 

[/QUOTE]

I read that for 'Bring the Family' Hiatt was asked what his dream band was. He said it was Ry Cooder on guitar, Nick Lowe on bass, and Jim Keltner on drums. Lo and behold, the record label assembled this band and Hiatt's dream came true.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

[QUOTE]

I said nothing specific in my posts in this thread, Polar. I also told Rich the album is one he will probably like. I think your inference isn't directed at me, so I'm okay, but I haven't made it a point to bring up that online incident until now. It's not that important to me to buy the new Mazzy album overall, despite the fact that the poster seemed more frustrated about the idea that her *efforts* were blocked because she couldn't substantiate the legitimacy of her request to the band's management, if indeed, she ever tried in a business-like manner in the first place. It didn't seem so, because someone with good business practices would use more restraint. :). Or some restraint, anyhow. :).

Either way, the truth is that the band's management has the right to release / give permission for the use of a song ... that's a business decision, even if the requestor does not like the outcome; you're right that grinding an axe about it in public is out of line, and not professional behavior. [QUOTE] 

Yoga, my post was not directed at you at all. I keep seeing this person write the same stuff over and over again on other websites, and I think it's getting a llittle strange that's all. I think she might feel cheated somehow that the band she idolized, may have let her down. I'm pretty sure that most requests, as well meaning as they might be, fall on deaf ears, if they reach those ears at all. Most folks probably would just walk away. FWIW, I like the new album a lot, and think it is vintage Mazzy Star.

Btw, I do try to keep up with this forum as much as possible. I do read it often, and post when I can -:)

p.s, I still can't figure out how to edit on this site.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I said nothing specific in my posts in this thread, Polar. I also told Rich the album is one he will probably like. I think your inference isn't directed at me, so I'm okay, but I haven't made it a point to bring up that online incident until now. It's not that important to me to buy the new Mazzy album overall, despite the fact that the poster seemed more frustrated about the idea that her *efforts* were blocked because she couldn't substantiate the legitimacy of her request to the band's management, if indeed, she ever tried in a business-like manner in the first place. It didn't seem so, because someone with good business practices would use more restraint. :). Or some restraint, anyhow. :).

Either way, the truth is that the band's management has the right to release / give permission for the use of a song ... that's a business decision, even if the requestor does not like the outcome; you're right that grinding an axe about it in public is out of line, and not professional behavior. [QUOTE] 

Yoga, my post was not directed at you at all. I keep seeing this person write the same stuff over and over again on other websites, and I think it's getting a llittle strange that's all. I think she might feel cheated somehow that the band she idolized, may have let her down. I'm pretty sure that most requests, as well meaning as they might be, fall on deaf ears, if they reach those ears at all. Most folks probably would just walk away. FWIW, I like the new album a lot, and think it is vintage Mazzy Star.

Btw, I do try to keep up with this forum as much as possible. I do read it often, and post when I can -:)

p.s, I still can't figure out how to edit on this site.

No worries.  Meanwhile, it must be weird to see that crazed fan on other websites, and now I can understand why it's been offputting. 

I just had this vision of a gnarled hand reaching out of the bin at Newbury Comics grabbing my hand and not letting go ...  every time I thought about buying that album.   :D.

Meanwhile, you won't believe this, but "Fade Into You" was on the music playlist of my yoga class tonight.  Couldn't help but notice, and laugh to myself.    PS You can't edit on this site for the same reason no one else can: it's been screwed up for over a year, maybe two.  Maybe three! :D

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Every year for Christmas I buy myself some new music.  It's my way of rewarding myself for making it through Christmas.  And believe it or not, I leave it all in the packaging until Christmas day.

I don't buy very much music throughout the year any more, but I put together a list of stuff that I might buy at Christmas.  This year the list got very long for some reason.  Too long and too expensive to buy at once.  So some of it got shoved back into next year.

This year's list got very diverse, and some might say, also got a little weird.  I went way back in the archives for a few albums I missed.

So here is what I ended up actually ordering for Christmas.  Like I said it's a pretty strange assortment.

Merry Axemas - A Guitar Christmas

Essential Mozart: 32 of His Greatest Masterpieces

Husker Du - Zen Arcade

Joe Bonamassa - Driving Toward the Daylight

Billy Cobham - Spectrum

Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives of Henry VIII

Kraftwerk - Computer World

Next I'll list the stuff I plan to buy at some point in the future.

Anyone else who wants to please do the same. 

[/QUOTE]

"and some might say, also got a little weird"  "strange".

Why should you care about what other people think about your artistic taste?  Don't be so defensive....if someone actually thought what you were interested in made you seem "weird" or "strange" it says everything about them and nothing about you.

Re your list above:

• Merry Axemas - A Guitar Christmas - Don't know of it, pretty sure I wouldn't like it as I'm not much into guitar playing.
    • Essential Mozart: 32 of His Greatest Masterpieces - I'd probably like it - the little I know about "classical music" (though I really resent the term) I like, though I'd be more inclined to go for his complete individual works rather than a comp.
    • Husker Du - Zen Arcade - My favourite band ever.  I think all of their music is brilliant (obviously) but Zen Arcade and Flip Your Wig are their best, IMO.
    • Joe Bonamassa - Driving Toward the Daylight - heard of him, know nothing about his music.
    • Billy Cobham - Spectrum - never heard of him.
    • Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives of Henry VIII - Hmmmm...I hate 70s Prog Rock above most music so I reckon it wouldn't do much for me.
    • Kraftwerk - Computer World - Gonna get this.  Probably the band I like the most yet own nothing of their music.  Big failure by me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

Here is some of the stuff I plan to buy at some point:

DVD's

Led Zep - Celebration Day - O2 concert

Eric Clapton/Steve Winwood concert

Freddy Mercury tribute concert - new version

CD's

More Bonamassa & Black Country Communion albums

Joe Satriani - Unstoppable Momentum (latest album)

(Maybe) Soundgarden - new album, whatever it's called

Tenology - the 10CC deluxe box set - this would be a luxury purchase...or maybe I'll ask my wife to buy it for me next Christmas

[/QUOTE]

BTW mate, I hope you didn't mind my feedback on your OP.  To answer your question, I don't have any planned purchases because I love music above all other art and can't live without having something I want.  I'm sure I'll find new wants (e.g. Kraftwerk) I become aware of.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

For Christmas I finally got the CD by Crazy Joe and the Variable Speed Band. I got it mainly for the song "Eugene", one of my all-time favorite novelty songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeZlXJtLhMQ

I also got a collection of songs by Lee Dorsey which includes another all-time favorite song of mine, "Ya Ya".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcwD7kh28M0

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

LIVE - Alison Krauss / Union Station (meant to buy this one, but it slipped under the radar)

[/QUOTE]

I got that Alison Krauss album last Christmas but sheepishly have to admit I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. Maybe I'll make some time this Christmas to finally listen to it and give you a review.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, I finally listened to it and was not disappointed. The instrumental "Cluck Old Hen" had me dancing across the living room floor. Alison's vocals and fiddle playing are exquisitely beautiful. Her performance of "Maybe" gave me goosebumps. Also loved Dan Tyminski's vocals, especially on "Man of Constant Sorrow." Secret weapon and banjo player Ron Block contributed nice vocals on "Faraway Land", one of the two songs he wrote that they performed. It's the next best thing to seeing them live.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

BTW mate, I hope you didn't mind my feedback on your OP.  To answer your question, I don't have any planned purchases because I love music above all other art and can't live without having something I want.  I'm sure I'll find new wants (e.g. Kraftwerk) I become aware of.

[/QUOTE]

Sonics, I always enjoy your feedback, even when your view is diametrically opposed to mine.  Every forum needs an iconoclast :-).  Seriously, I love the fire and the honesty in your posts.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Joe Bonamassa - Driving Toward the Daylight - heard of him, know nothing about his music.

Billy Cobham - Spectrum - never heard of him.

Joe Bonamassa is one of the best guitar players alive.  He plays blues, rock, country, just about everything, really.  He is probably one of the most eclectic and studious musicians in history.  Everything about him is just first-rate. 

Billy Cobham is one of the great jazz/jazz-rock fusion drummers.  He was in Mahavishnu Orchestra.  The guitar player on this album is Tommy Bolin, one of my favorites.  To be perfectly candid, the main reason I've always been interested in this album, which I've never heard, is that a musician friend of mind claimed for years that Bolin's solo on the opening track is the best guitar solo in history. :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

LIVE - Alison Krauss / Union Station (meant to buy this one, but it slipped under the radar)

[/QUOTE]

I got that Alison Krauss album last Christmas but sheepishly have to admit I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. Maybe I'll make some time this Christmas to finally listen to it and give you a review.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, I finally listened to it and was not disappointed. The instrumental "Cluck Old Hen" had me dancing across the living room floor. Alison's vocals and fiddle playing are exquisitely beautiful. Her performance of "Maybe" gave me goosebumps. Also loved Dan Tyminski's vocals, especially on "Man of Constant Sorrow." Secret weapon and banjo player Ron Block contributed nice vocals on "Faraway Land", one of the two songs he wrote that they performed. It's the next best thing to seeing them live.

[/QUOTE]
    Thank you.   I guess I did you a favor by putting the album on my "list", eh? 

The reason this came up for me last year was b/c I had sworn off buying more of Krauss' albums, only b/c I have quite a few, and in the "so much music, so little time (and money)" philosopphy, I can't justify buying more.  Then I noticed this live album, looked at the set list, and since wanting to add more live albums to my collection, it looked irresistable at the time.  I did see her live last summer, so I know this album will have some meaning.   *Very* glad you are happy with it. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sonics, I always enjoy your feedback, even when your view is diametrically opposed to mine.  Every forum needs an iconoclast :-).  Seriously, I love the fire and the honesty in your posts.   

[/QUOTE]

Cheers, Hf, that makes me smile.  While I think being called an "iconoclast" would be a compliment, I don't think I am one.  You (obviously) don't know me personally, but I swear on my daughters' lives I never lie (other to my mum and the police)....not to build up some sort of pathetic faux morality....but because IMO lying is, at best, selfish and lazy. 

It's hard to not lie, in a sense....a selfish sense....as a joke I've been telling my friends I'm trying to learn to lie.  

x

20. This post has been removed.